Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1591 1592 [1593] 1594 1595 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4238873 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23880 on: October 04, 2018, 04:40:12 pm »

There are no formal standards to be appointed to the Supreme Court beyond being nominated by the President and consented to by the Senate, hence the campaign for Justice Snoop Dogg following Scalia's death.

If Snoop's savant-level skill at The Price is Right is any indicator, he's be the best justice in history.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23881 on: October 04, 2018, 04:41:42 pm »

If nothing else, this is a clear sign that we need to ensure that the current trend of de-normalizing this kind of behavior continues. We've gone a long way since "Trapper" John (from M*A*S*H, although the TV series never explains the nickname) in the 70s and American Pie in the 90s - but there's still a long way to go.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23883 on: October 05, 2018, 09:17:35 am »

Sen. Collins said she'll vote yes for the cloture* vote (which is in about 12 min from now) and announce her final vote later this afternoon.

*'cloture' is a procedural vote to end debate on something and move to the final vote, the Kavanaugh nomination in this case.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23884 on: October 05, 2018, 09:35:19 am »

My understanding of the Cloture vote is if that is voted on successfully, the next vote must be within 30 hours, or they have to start over (in committee, so back to square one).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23885 on: October 05, 2018, 09:42:13 am »

Which is why that one Montana Senators daughter's wedding is ending up complicating things a little. I've read that they're willing to hold it open into early Sunday morning until that Senator gets back.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23886 on: October 05, 2018, 11:21:55 am »

I don't think it quite works that way. There has to be the possibility for up to 30 hours of debate between cloture and the vote. And there's limits on what else they can do between cloture and the final vote. But it seems like as long as they're willing to bring everything else to a standstill they can hold the vote open for as long as they need. But if they decide not to hold the vote after all, then yes, it goes back to square one.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23887 on: October 05, 2018, 12:26:32 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23888 on: October 05, 2018, 01:16:40 pm »

Joe Manchin has said he'll vote however is necessary to not be the swing vote. Meaning, he'll vote against Kavanaugh if by doing so he'll stop Kavanaugh, but will vote for Kavanaugh if Kavanaugh will be confirmed anyway. (Or basically: he can be considered a no vote for the purposes of measuring these things, and a yes vote for the purpose of rubbing salt in the wound afterwards. Interesting thought: the actual effect of this is to render Pence unnecessary).

Which is a roundabout way of saying that Collin's vote is now the decisive factor. She'll be announcing her decision in a speech at 3:00. So, you know, keep your ears to the web.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23889 on: October 05, 2018, 01:21:51 pm »

I know Joe Manchin is in a tough spot, but that is quite a cowardly cop-out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23890 on: October 05, 2018, 01:41:24 pm »

This entire fucking thing has been a cop-out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23891 on: October 05, 2018, 01:48:05 pm »

I agree, this is not how a functioning government runs. The whole system is a steaming pile of shit filled mostly with below average examples of humanity.

However, you've got 99 other people who are putting their names on the line with a vote. And then you have Manchin who is saying, "I don't really want to have to decide, I'll go with what everyone else wants to do."

Asshole, it's literally your job. Yes or no. Abstain if you have to, if its that tough of a position, if you're not sure, just abstain. But don't just swing with the wind.

EDIT: Collins won't get around to the point but is verbally advertising for Kavanaugh.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:16:15 pm by sluissa »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23892 on: October 05, 2018, 02:25:26 pm »

Collins is talking now. It sounds like she's going to be a Yes.

At least she seems to have done her homework and made an informed decision. This speech was easily the most dignified thing I've heard since this whole mess began.

EDIT: Collins confirmed a Yes.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:51:45 pm by Folly »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23893 on: October 05, 2018, 03:09:40 pm »

I mean, ignoring the multiple times he's blatantly lied to congress's collective asses, sure, did her homework.  Quoted some cases. Made some valid points about politicization of the courts, and then went on to politicize the courts even more.

Good work.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23894 on: October 05, 2018, 03:10:46 pm »

I'unno, hard to make a heaping pile of hypocrisy and bullshit dignified. Whatever does it for you, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1591 1592 [1593] 1594 1595 ... 3567