Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1589 1590 [1591] 1592 1593 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4238919 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23850 on: October 03, 2018, 10:03:41 am »

It's plausible, yes, however, it sounds like they've gotten no response at all.

Kellyanne Conway: "She’s been treated like a Faberge egg by all of us, beginning with me and the President," Conway said, referencing delicate, ornate Easter eggs, many of which were made for the Russian Imperial family." Really? Trump 'treating her like a 'faberge egg' reminds me of that insurance commercial (Hartford I think) where a guy trying to fix a nail gun (in a really dumb way) makes the nail gun misfire and shatter an object that looks sortof like a faberge egg.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:15:36 am by smjjames »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23851 on: October 03, 2018, 10:18:36 am »

According to some sources, it's not unusual to wait to interview a primary witness last. Especially if you already know the broad sweeps of what they're going to say, so you have additional details from outside to know what more detailed questions to focus on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23852 on: October 03, 2018, 10:26:50 am »

True, it's just that it sounds like they haven't responded and there is limited time to do an interview.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23853 on: October 03, 2018, 01:23:42 pm »

Just got the nationwide test alert, I'd be confused if I hadn't heard about it on NPR yesterday.  I guess it went out to every up-to-date smartphone at the same time, right?

So now the President has a way to send short messages to the country...  Covfefe be useful I guess.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23854 on: October 03, 2018, 01:36:05 pm »

System has been in place for quite a while now, just hasn't been tested before. It's just an extension of the current radio/tv emergency alert system.

Lay off the panic until trump starts tweeting over it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23855 on: October 03, 2018, 02:55:25 pm »

I agree with Nenjin, it's historical information at best because if you're surprised, you've been under a rock, underground.
I don't know, historical kind of implies that it's in the past, you know? And of that particular fact I'm not so sure... he's certainly not robbing his father anymore (because, y'know, he's dead), but my sense is that the NY Times piece was on the past because that's the records they had available, not necessarily because it only happened in the past.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23856 on: October 03, 2018, 03:25:28 pm »

I do not think that historical implies that a thing is not happening in the now. Many things have happened in history and also now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23857 on: October 03, 2018, 04:03:48 pm »

For what the article covered, it's historic. The statue of limitations on tax fraud have expired. No doubt Trump used these exact same techniques to distribute wealth to his children and control the appraisal values of his assets when it was necessary, and that might be wroth investigating. But those documents and witnesses would be much, much harder to get a hold of because all the involved parties face civil if not criminal penalties.

Basically the only reason the Times got the information they did is it could not directly affect anyone. I mean, the interviewed the guy that under appraised Fred Trump's properties by 80% and he's like "whatever we did was informed by factual information and documentation that I no longer have. So good luck."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23858 on: October 03, 2018, 05:05:35 pm »

The White House is getting an FBI report on Brett Kavanaugh tonight.. I'm not sure if it's the final report or just what they have so far.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #23859 on: October 03, 2018, 06:14:38 pm »

From a purely technical approach, it was a good idea.

Do I expect there was any motivation behind running the test other than as purely populist grandstanding? Nope.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23860 on: October 03, 2018, 06:17:07 pm »

I feel more like it's just a test, and then the internet made a circus out of it because it has President in the name.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23861 on: October 03, 2018, 06:39:09 pm »

Pretty sure it's something that started getting set up well before Trump became President. The Internet made a fuss out of it because of Trumps habits and wanted to opt out of it if there was the slightest chance that he'd misuse it.

Had it been any other President, I have a feeling that the Internet would be mostly 'Okay, neat.' and moved on.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23862 on: October 03, 2018, 06:42:52 pm »

I (not in the US) heard about it in some news item or other.

As I'd just looked up an (apparently, I'd missed it) popular film franchise to work out what an advertisement was about, the first thing it made me think of was:
We interrupt our programming; this is a national emergency. Important instructions will follow.
The following message is been Transmitted at the request of the United States Government. At 6 P. M. Eastern Daylight Time, The commencement of the National Purge has been established to The 28th United States Amendment by the New Founding Fathers of America. This establishment means that all crimes including murder, arson and theft are legal for 12 continuous hours from 7 P. M to 7 A. M. Eastern Standard Time. All weapons of class 4 and lower are permitted, all other weapons are restricted. All government officials of ranking 10 shall not be harmed and have been granted immunity from The Purge. All Emergency Services: Fire, Police and Medical Services will not be available until The Purge is over. The ones who will not participate should seek shelter. Hide in a room with doors and windows locked. Bring some necessary supplies for your stay. Bring a battery-powered radio to receive news and information. Do not use the Internet or Telephone, as it may risk your life by finding information to where you are. Do not answer the door, shut all windows, turn off all lights and be silent if you're sheltering in place. Stay at your shelter until tomorrow at 7:15 A. M. Eastern Daylight Time. Do not leave for any reason, even picking up other family members, as you maybe too late to find shelter. This is Emergency Alert System, Blessing our New Founding Fathers, America's nation Reborn and giving this Emergency Notification.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:44:40 pm by Starver »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23863 on: October 03, 2018, 07:49:55 pm »

So... take it with salt, especially as she admits that the White House won't even go into specifics on the scope of the FBI investigation, but Feinstein is saying that the FBI are barred from talking to Ford or Kavanaugh and aren't allowed to speak to any additional witnesses regarding the Ramirez claims.

Not sure how that claim will hold up, but it's troubling if it does.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23864 on: October 03, 2018, 07:56:23 pm »

Barred by whom? The FBI director? The Trump administration's instructions for the FBI how to investigate? The Senate Judiciary Committee?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1589 1590 [1591] 1592 1593 ... 3567