Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1422 1423 [1424] 1425 1426 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227005 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21345 on: June 28, 2018, 05:45:28 pm »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/milo-yiannopoulos-defends-gunning-journalists-down-annapolis-shooting-215613240.html

Funnily enough, he said it only privately. It was his media opponents who were responsible for making it a widespread publicized comment.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21346 on: June 28, 2018, 05:54:37 pm »

There's far more of a link to Trump agitating people over the media than Milo, IMO. While what he said was staggeringly dumb, even as a sarcastic joke, theres no link to what Milo said vs the shooter.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #21347 on: June 28, 2018, 07:11:04 pm »

Also, letting things get worse before they get better is the accelerationist position, though I know that's not what you mean.

Accelerationism is exactly what I was referring to. Though I should note that it's not a stance I intended to promote, merely a concept I feel is worthy of conversation. If a small number of sacrifices in the short-term can save a significantly larger number of lives in the long-term, then isn't the lesser evil the only ethically justifiable path?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21348 on: June 28, 2018, 07:19:23 pm »

Good luck convincing gun nuts 5th amendment advocates of that.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21349 on: June 28, 2018, 07:21:33 pm »

Also, letting things get worse before they get better is the accelerationist position, though I know that's not what you mean.

Accelerationism is exactly what I was referring to. Though I should note that it's not a stance I intended to promote, merely a concept I feel is worthy of conversation. If a small number of sacrifices in the short-term can save a significantly larger number of lives in the long-term, then isn't the lesser evil the only ethically justifiable path?
The big problem with ends justify the means is that often the ends never happen and you are left with the terrible means. This is how good people do horrible things.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21350 on: June 28, 2018, 07:31:31 pm »

Or as the saying goes 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'.

Turns out that the attack was a targeted one and that there were threats over social media at the newspaper, some even today, no details though. While it may or may not be justified to jump to the conclusion, it should be carefully scruitinized for any hints that Trump's rhetoric may be behind this.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #21351 on: June 28, 2018, 07:48:01 pm »

The big problem with ends justify the means is that often the ends never happen and you are left with the terrible means. This is how good people do horrible things.

Yeah...I'd say definitely consult with a panel of learned and reputable social analysts and informed statistical researchers before committing to any course of action that involves allowing human deaths to occur with the intent of using them as a deterrent against that same course of action.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21352 on: June 29, 2018, 01:08:37 am »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/milo-yiannopoulos-defends-gunning-journalists-down-annapolis-shooting-215613240.html

Funnily enough, he said it only privately. It was his media opponents who were responsible for making it a widespread publicized comment.
I can't think of a single reason journalists would be upset right now.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21353 on: June 29, 2018, 01:32:12 am »

Remember the Unite the Right rally, where that guy plowed into a group of counter-protesters with his car and killed Heather Heyer?

The same guy who organized the first one is trying to arrange an anniversary event.  Have a few month's worth of leaked Facebook chat logs wherein they discuss plans.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21354 on: June 29, 2018, 01:54:46 am »

I can't think of a single reason journalists would be upset right now.

Milo musn't have a book coming out soon, or he'd completely own responsibility for the shooting. Milo hasn't done enough repulsive newsworthy stuff recently, so he's clearly not shilling anything at the moment.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21355 on: June 30, 2018, 12:04:48 pm »

I'd like to start off 6.30.18 with this edifying article. I was unaware of it until just now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:06:34 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21356 on: June 30, 2018, 12:12:11 pm »

Knowing pi is what murdered those nanobots in Jimmy Neutron.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21357 on: June 30, 2018, 12:13:34 pm »

I'd like to start off 6.30.18 with this edifying article. I was unaware of it until just now.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:17:55 pm by Culise »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21358 on: June 30, 2018, 12:22:18 pm »

Spoiler: For realies! (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21359 on: June 30, 2018, 01:14:34 pm »

Spoiler: For realies! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:16:24 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 1422 1423 [1424] 1425 1426 ... 3566