Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1424 1425 [1426] 1427 1428 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226236 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21375 on: June 30, 2018, 09:40:28 pm »

It's why I'm away from Ameripol (well, that and the inglorious death of my computer.) There was the whole "someone managed to successfully prank call the President on Air Force One". Thing, I suppose.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21376 on: July 01, 2018, 08:21:35 am »

More than prank call, they apparently got cadet bonespurs to call them from the plane. Not even getting their foot in the door, so to speak, they got him to walk out of his own accord.

Mostly just yet another sign the state department et al is kinda' fucked at the moment, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21377 on: July 01, 2018, 11:24:57 am »

Not strictly Ameripol related, but has significant implications for the polarization of politics on both sides.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6396/1465

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21378 on: July 01, 2018, 12:47:06 pm »

Not strictly Ameripol related, but has significant implications for the polarization of politics on both sides.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6396/1465

Do we think that a problem persists even when it has become less frequent? Levari et al. show experimentally that when the “signal” a person is searching for becomes rare, the person naturally responds by broadening his or her definition of the signal—and therefore continues to find it even when it is not there. From low-level perception of color to higher-level judgments of ethics, there is a robust tendency for perceptual and judgmental standards to “creep” when they ought not to. For example, when blue dots become rare, participants start calling purple dots blue, and when threatening faces become rare, participants start calling neutral faces threatening.

This fits with what scholars such as Jonothan Haidt have said about phenomena such as microaggressions: they arise in places which have the most established equality and respect (such as liberal++ college campuses), rather than in places of high inequality.

Outrage is thus the "constant", not things to be outraged about. Take away the actually outrage-worthy things, then people invent new pettier things to be equally outraged about:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/the-rise-of-victimhood-culture/404794/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:00:21 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21379 on: July 01, 2018, 12:55:08 pm »

That might also explain the constant ranting of the conservative media about the comparatively rare extremest liberals. They just end up seeing "SJWs" and such everywhere even though such people are very uncommon.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21380 on: July 01, 2018, 01:23:34 pm »

I'd say american conservatism in general is fueled by fear and outrage.

No real reason to keep things the same if change isn't horrifying.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21381 on: July 01, 2018, 03:32:43 pm »

scholars such as Jonothan Haidt
I guess when scholars become rare, Templeton Prize winners look like scholars?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21382 on: July 01, 2018, 03:37:50 pm »

Huh? Not sure what you're implying.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/scholar

scholar: a person who studies a subject in great detail, especially at a university

How is that rare, or some sort of stretch to call someone with a PhD, who teaches at a mainstream college and has published research a scholar? Calling someone who has a PhD in an area, conducts research, teaches, and writes books about it a "scholar" is less wanky than an alternative choice such as "intellectual". Being a scholar is what you do, being an "intellectual" implies the person is innately better than everyone else.

Or, I guess you're saying that because someone else decided to give him that award, then that devalues all the work he's ever done?

The guy is a liberal atheist, who's area of study is on the psychology of ethics and morality. That crosses over into studying the psychology of religion, which is probably why he won that prize, but it's very unfair to say that winning the prize means he cannot be taken seriously as a scholar. It looks like trying really hard to find the one thing you don't like about that guy then implying it defines his entire career.

This short article kind of sums up the deal, cutting out some quotes:

https://www.edge.org/conversation/jonathan_haidt-moral-psychology-and-the-misunderstanding-of-religion

Quote from: Jonothan Haidt
as a secular liberal I agree that contractual societies such as those of Western Europe offer the best hope for living peacefully together in our increasingly diverse modern nations ... I just want to make one point, however, that should give contractualists pause: surveys have long shown that religious believers in the United States are happier, healthier, longer-lived, and more generous to charity and to each other than are secular people.

If religious people are happier and healthier than non-religious people it's definitely a worthwhile goal to study the in-depth reasons for that, which is one of Jonathon Haidt's areas of study, which he won that Templeton award for. If you can unravel why religion makes people happy then you can use that to make a better atheism, too: being miserable but right about everything is of limited pragmatic value, so it's worthwhile to work out how religion makes people happy.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 04:13:03 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21383 on: July 01, 2018, 04:12:09 pm »

I immediately thought of "War on Chtidtmas" rhetoric. Fifty years ago "Happy Holidays" was a neat way to sum up both Christmas and New Years into one greeting. Today (or maybe 10-ish years ago? I might not be entirely up to date on this aspect of American culture) saying it is a direct attack against Christianity or something?
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21384 on: July 01, 2018, 04:23:45 pm »

Can’t acknowledge there are other religions celebrating things at the same time, man.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21385 on: July 01, 2018, 04:32:05 pm »

It's perceived as an attack on there "rights." The reality is however that it's not. It's an attack on their privilege by finally extending all the rights enjoyed by Christianity under freedom of religion to, gasp, other religions. Happy holidays seems to just be a focal point for the backlash.

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #21386 on: July 01, 2018, 04:40:01 pm »

That might also explain the constant ranting of the conservative media about the comparatively rare extremest liberals. They just end up seeing "SJWs" and such everywhere even though such people are very uncommon.

Man-bites-dog journalism and the human brain's availability heuristic: Making people worried about the wrong things since time immemorial.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21387 on: July 01, 2018, 05:29:39 pm »

If religious people are happier and healthier than non-religious people it's definitely a worthwhile goal to study the in-depth reasons for that, which is one of Jonathon Haidt's areas of study, which he won that Templeton award for. If you can unravel why religion makes people happy then you can use that to make a better atheism, too: being miserable but right about everything is of limited pragmatic value, so it's worthwhile to work out how religion makes people happy.

Actual question because I'm curious: is there evidence that the causality actually runs that way, as opposed to, for example, people more predisposed to unhappiness being more likely to choose atheism?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21388 on: July 01, 2018, 06:38:19 pm »

Actual question because I'm curious: is there evidence that the causality actually runs that way, as opposed to, for example, people more predisposed to unhappiness being more likely to choose atheism?

Determining stuff like that would be the purpose of further study.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21389 on: July 01, 2018, 06:44:44 pm »

Last I paid much attention it's primarily the socialization aspect generally involved, though there's some other things. Not so much religion itself save insofar as its bitsies lend themselves well to forming the sort of in-groups human neurology tends to react well towards.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1424 1425 [1426] 1427 1428 ... 3566