Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1303 1304 [1305] 1306 1307 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230495 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #19560 on: May 02, 2018, 08:02:32 pm »

So we discussed Facebook and Zuckerberg's promises to totes mcgoats respect people's privacy and think more about his responsibilities thereof etc etc

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/apr/19/facebook-moves-15bn-users-out-of-reach-of-new-european-privacy-law

Gotta love how they’re “moving their operations to the US” so they aren’t subject to privacy law changes, but still want to tax base those moved operations in Ireland. I’m sure that will go down well on both sides of the Atlantic
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19561 on: May 02, 2018, 08:05:29 pm »

They were asked about that during the apology tour in Canada around the time, but the guy refused to answer. I also can’t find an article about that, and them completely avoiding the media scrum afterward.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19562 on: May 02, 2018, 08:27:37 pm »

So apparently [urlhttps://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/hobby-lobby-smuggled-thousands-of-ancient-artifacts-out-of-iraq/532743/]Hobby Lobby probably was funding ISIS[/url]? I didn't hear about that but there you go.

Now, paying for birth control, that's unethical, but paying money that very likely goes to terrorists? A-OK.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19563 on: May 02, 2018, 08:31:22 pm »

So apparently Hobby Lobby probably was funding ISIS? I didn't hear about that but there you go.

Now, paying for birth control, that's unethical, but paying money that very likely goes to terrorists? A-OK.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19564 on: May 02, 2018, 10:19:53 pm »

So apparently [urlhttps://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/hobby-lobby-smuggled-thousands-of-ancient-artifacts-out-of-iraq/532743/]Hobby Lobby probably was funding ISIS[/url]? I didn't hear about that but there you go.

Well, no, they weren't.

Buying artifacts smuggled out of Iraq, while illegal, is not "funding ISIS." Laying aside the question of whether they were involved in these particular sales, there are enough middlemen in the chain to make it very unlikely the Greens did so knowingly, particularly given the efforts made to falsify a legitimate origin for the artifacts. Really, there's enough fake news and clickbait out there already, and we ought not add to it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:35:19 pm by Trekkin »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19565 on: May 03, 2018, 12:05:21 am »

So apparently Hobby Lobby probably was funding ISIS]https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/hobby-lobby-smuggled-thousands-of-ancient-artifacts-out-of-iraq/532743/]Hobby Lobby probably was funding ISIS? I didn't hear about that but there you go.

See, the American right is supposed to be red-blooded Americans.  But looting the middle east for its artifacts and putting them in a museum thousands of miles away?  That sounds like a brit to me.  Bloody loyalists, George Washington is spinning in his grave right now.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19566 on: May 03, 2018, 12:53:08 am »

So we discussed Facebook and Zuckerberg's promises to totes mcgoats respect people's privacy and think more about his responsibilities thereof etc etc

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/apr/19/facebook-moves-15bn-users-out-of-reach-of-new-european-privacy-law
I believe the keywords are think more.  The conclusion to that is what we see.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19567 on: May 03, 2018, 03:09:07 am »

Inb4 EU bans Facebook
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19568 on: May 03, 2018, 03:15:41 am »

Inb4 EU bans Facebook

Well, EU (as well as US and Canada apparently) consumers are still protected. Sucks for the others, but they just have to join the Glorious Euroreich :D.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19569 on: May 03, 2018, 05:37:23 am »

So Guiliani has confirmed that Comey was fired due to the Russia investigation and that Trump repaid Michael Cohen for the Stormy Daniels payment. Additionally, Ty Cobb is leaving Trump's legal team, to be replaced by Emmet Flood.

It would seem we are in for another infrastructure week.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19570 on: May 03, 2018, 07:30:42 am »

Buying artifacts smuggled out of Iraq, while illegal, is not "funding ISIS." Laying aside the question of whether they were involved in these particular sales, there are enough middlemen in the chain to make it very unlikely the Greens did so knowingly, particularly given the efforts made to falsify a legitimate origin for the artifacts.
I mean, accidentally. No one is accusing them of intentionally funding ISIS. Ultimately, it's an argument that they bought artifacts smuggled out of Iraq; ISIS did a great deal of smuggling artifacts out of Iraq; therefore, it stands to reason that there's a chance that some of that money buying artifacts out of Iraq went to ISIS. No malice, no intention. Just irony.
I'm going to make the argument (which, incidentally, may be totally unrelated to this particular case: I mean this in general) that unintentionally funding terrorists is still funding terrorists. For example, a NY Times investigatioin a few years ago showed that European countries (specifically, non-British countries) paying ransom for kidnapped individuals was such a significant flow of cash, that it was making up 50% of Yemeni Al Qaeda's funding (in 2012; article published in 2014). Now no one there was thinking to themselves "Oh yeah, this is how we'll secretly fund Al Qaeda!" but when someone is spilling blood with your money, it's a little difficult to justify, eh?

So Guiliani has confirmed that Comey was fired due to the Russia investigation and that Trump repaid Michael Cohen for the Stormy Daniels payment. Additionally, Ty Cobb is leaving Trump's legal team, to be replaced by Emmet Flood.

It would seem we are in for another infrastructure week.
It's worth noting that Emmet Flood is the guy who represented Bill Clinton during his impeachment.

I wonder what exactly is going through Giuliani's head. I don't see the advantage for him saying this.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:29:25 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19571 on: May 03, 2018, 07:42:57 am »

I'm going to make the argument (which, incidentally, may be totally unrelated to this particular case: I mean this in general) that unintentionally funding terrorists is still funding terrorists. For example, a NY Times investigatioin a few years ago showed that European countries (specifically, non-British countries) paying ransom for kidnapped individuals was such a significant flow of cash, that it was making up 50% of Yemeni Al Qaeda's funding (in 2012; article published in 2014). Now no one there was thinking to themselves "Oh yeah, this is how we'll secretly fund Al Qaeda!" but when someone is spilling blood with your money, it's a little difficult to justify, eh?
And these are the same governments that wouldn't spend $10M per citizen on welfare or rescue missions...? What the hell. What's worse is that the US and UK policy only works if everyone isn't paying the ransoms, otherwise they maintain their operational capabilities and all those people who died, did so for nothing

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19572 on: May 03, 2018, 09:55:36 am »

Certainly it is. It's also a little unfair to justify calling people "A-OK" with funding terrorism, as PTTG did, when for all they very well might have known they were buying legally sourced artifacts from a legitimate dealer.  They weren't meeting some guy named Mr. Al-ISISi out by the docks at night with a sack of cash.

I wasn't trying to excuse them, or blood money in general. This absolutely should not have happened and should not keep happening. But it's a huge leap to go from that to "Hobby Lobby was OK with probably funding terrorists", and it's that leap I was criticizing. The worst we know they did is fail to see through a deliberate attempt to deceive them, which is solidly amoral.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19573 on: May 03, 2018, 10:16:33 am »

Certainly it is. It's also a little unfair to justify calling people "A-OK" with funding terrorism, as PTTG did, when for all they very well might have known they were buying legally sourced artifacts from a legitimate dealer.  They weren't meeting some guy named Mr. Al-ISISi out by the docks at night with a sack of cash.

I wasn't trying to excuse them, or blood money in general. This absolutely should not have happened and should not keep happening. But it's a huge leap to go from that to "Hobby Lobby was OK with probably funding terrorists", and it's that leap I was criticizing. The worst we know they did is fail to see through a deliberate attempt to deceive them, which is solidly amoral.
Sales in looted artifacts sorta pales in comparison to the mystery of the oil from no nation

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19574 on: May 03, 2018, 11:41:22 am »

Paywall, LW.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 1303 1304 [1305] 1306 1307 ... 3567