Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1304 1305 [1306] 1307 1308 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230494 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #19575 on: May 03, 2018, 11:48:12 am »

Paywalls are aiding the spread of fake news. Hard to source check if most 'reputable' sources get hidden behind paywalls more and more, while fake news is free and pushed.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19576 on: May 03, 2018, 12:07:48 pm »

So Guiliani has confirmed that Comey was fired due to the Russia investigation and that Trump repaid Michael Cohen for the Stormy Daniels payment. Additionally, Ty Cobb is leaving Trump's legal team, to be replaced by Emmet Flood.

It would seem we are in for another infrastructure week.
It's worth noting that Emmet Flood is the guy who represented Bill Clinton during his impeachment.

I wonder what exactly is going through Giuliani's head. I don't see the advantage for him saying this.

Taking control of when and how the story goes. Probably the realization that it'll come out at some point, so get it out now and get their version out first so they can control it and it can be buried under more news before it becomes an issue around election time.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19577 on: May 03, 2018, 12:48:52 pm »

Paywall, LW.
How far is that from Powercable, NE?  ;)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19578 on: May 03, 2018, 01:07:04 pm »

Paywall, LW.
How far is that from Powercable, NE?  ;)
hmm. In my current location, probably <20ft.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19579 on: May 03, 2018, 03:09:22 pm »

Paywalls are aiding the spread of fake news. Hard to source check if most 'reputable' sources get hidden behind paywalls more and more, while fake news is free and pushed.

You can get around them some of the time (depends on the publication) by various browser tricks, but not everybody is going to know those tricks and not all tricks (like opening in private browser) work for everything.

I'd agree that paywalling just makes it harder/more frustrating to get at information.

So Guiliani has confirmed that Comey was fired due to the Russia investigation and that Trump repaid Michael Cohen for the Stormy Daniels payment. Additionally, Ty Cobb is leaving Trump's legal team, to be replaced by Emmet Flood.

It would seem we are in for another infrastructure week.
It's worth noting that Emmet Flood is the guy who represented Bill Clinton during his impeachment.

I wonder what exactly is going through Giuliani's head. I don't see the advantage for him saying this.

Taking control of when and how the story goes. Probably the realization that it'll come out at some point, so get it out now and get their version out first so they can control it and it can be buried under more news before it becomes an issue around election time.

I can imagine Emmet Flood going 'Rudy, with all due respect, S. T. F. U.' given how the guy is supposed to be a superserious lawyer and Rudy is a lawyer himself and should know better.

Also, Sarah Sanders gave an explaination that Trump eventually learned that he paid back the cash. Did any of them at the WH even stop for a moment and think how much sense that makes (it doesn't) and what else it would imply?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:14:54 pm by smjjames »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19580 on: May 03, 2018, 03:12:13 pm »

Newspapers have to figure out a way to fund their illicit fake news without actual newspapers.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19581 on: May 03, 2018, 03:13:42 pm »

I'd agree that paywalling just makes it harder/more frustrating to get at information.

Find another way to compensate people for curating it, then. Not ads; ads don't work nearly well enough. Then we can talk about how you deserve to benefit from other people's work for free.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19582 on: May 03, 2018, 03:23:42 pm »

To be fair, a lot of paywalled info is aimed at colleges and industry professionals rather than ordinary people.  Sometimes you can't understand paywalled stuff unless you know the jargon.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19583 on: May 03, 2018, 03:29:05 pm »

To be fair, a lot of paywalled info is aimed at colleges and industry professionals rather than ordinary people.  Sometimes you can't understand paywalled stuff unless you know the jargon.

We're talking about news articles though, things like WSJ, Haaretz, and to a lesser degree as they can be worked around more easily, NYT and WaPo.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19584 on: May 03, 2018, 03:38:52 pm »

Uh, hobby lobby funds republican politricians directly, don't they? How are they not terrorists?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19585 on: May 03, 2018, 03:57:19 pm »

Find another way to compensate people for curating it, then. Not ads; ads don't work nearly well enough. Then we can talk about how you deserve to benefit from other people's work for free.
Government subsidy + ads.
Hell, the EU is putting a lot of money into combating fake news, with fact checking think tanks and all. I'm sure they could come up with a subsidy that is distributed fairly amongst all established newspapers to get rid of paywalls.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19587 on: May 03, 2018, 07:47:22 pm »

Politricians... fuck, fingers still recovering from a bad gash on my left hand, typing is weird.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #19588 on: May 04, 2018, 03:37:54 pm »

Donald trump spoke at the NRA rally today. My favorite part was when he explained that all mass shooters are cowards, who never attack anywhere that they think they might die. The NRA crowd ate that right up.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19589 on: May 04, 2018, 03:45:45 pm »

Met a customer at work today that claimed to be Mike Pence's cousin.  Said you can't choose your family.  Didn't offer any proof, but still a funny thought that maybe even Pence's family does not like him.

In a slightly more depressing thought. The more and more I think about it the more I worry that the more trump does the more he's going to get away with, because nobody with any sense wants pence in office any more than trump, so impeachment is effectively off the table unless pence can be dragged along too.  And most people in the future will see out of context is that the president did all these immoral things and did not get punished for them and they will assume it's because he's the president he can do what he wants without consequence.  Paving the way for future presidents to be just as bad and there be almost no outrage whatsoever.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:51:43 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1304 1305 [1306] 1307 1308 ... 3567