Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4160179 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11895 on: August 28, 2017, 07:12:07 pm »

Nah, that's the opposite of accelerationism. You want the Republican administration to be unable to do things, not more able to do them. You're....uh..."decelerationist."

Accelerationism is like "put the Goldman Sachs board of directors in the White House and stop having elections".
Oh, yeah, it's bullshit for me and that to be called that. Just saying that not everyone seems to adhere to the same definiton. One of *those* words.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11896 on: August 28, 2017, 07:12:48 pm »

I'm not really sure whether "guy who has an agenda" is better or worse than President Stares-into-the-sun
This is the best nickname.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11897 on: August 28, 2017, 07:15:03 pm »

I think Pence at least is less likely to prove that war never changes, as it were. He's more of a standard elderly + religious combo "I hate any change whatsoever to society" and less "goddamned psychopath".

Also, our missiles are less likely to miss. Also, China has straight up come out and said that if NK launches a missile at someone they are on their own. I don't have access to search for/provide a link to that one.

::EDIT::
@the post this one: Agreed, I don't think Trump is actually a mass-death kind of guy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:18:21 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11898 on: August 28, 2017, 07:16:17 pm »

I'm not really sure whether "guy who has an agenda" is better or worse than President Stares-into-the-sun
This is the best nickname.
Which one?

And as I said, the chances of a launch for even an ambiguous scenario are near-nil. I don't think even Trump is that kind of guy anyway, but the 25th would be invoked, no question.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11899 on: August 28, 2017, 07:28:23 pm »

Also, our missiles are less likely to miss. Also, China has straight up come out and said that if NK launches a missile at someone they are on their own. I don't have access to search for/provide a link to that one.

I think that was in response to the incredibly specific threat that NK gave about Guam. Basically, "If you do that, you're on your own.".
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:33:31 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11900 on: August 28, 2017, 07:28:58 pm »

Pretty sure it's P. SITS. Guy who has an agenda isn't even remotely snappy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11901 on: August 28, 2017, 07:31:00 pm »

I think that was in response to the incredibly specific threat that NK gave about Guam. Basically, "If you do that, you're on your own.".

I would think that it applies to any of the first-world nations they happen to fire a missile at. Or specifically, anything that might draw China into military action based on an aggressive action taken by NK.

I am assuming, of course. Isn't their promise of aid to NK generally defensive/peacetime in nature?

EDIT: I'm referring to the POTUS as PSITS (Pee-sits) now. Thank you.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11902 on: August 28, 2017, 07:34:32 pm »

Also, China has straight up come out and said that if NK launches a missile at someone they are on their own. I don't have access to search for/provide a link to that one.

We'll see, question is whether is is close enough for government work in that regard.

Wait, does the phrase even apply if it IS government work? :V
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11903 on: August 28, 2017, 07:35:12 pm »

In this particular case, it looks like they were trying to thread the needle and go for between Hokkaido and mainland Japan? Like trying to send a longer range one which wasn't in a southward direction (which might spook Trump) but go over as little land as possible. If that was the intention.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11904 on: August 28, 2017, 08:25:24 pm »

China has a really good soft-power schtick going on, the whole "defending an aggressive power trying to nuke the world" goes against that. If there's no way to spin it their way North Korea is on its own.

On an unrelated note: is conventionally invading a power that has nuked you considered a counter-attack?(assuming a first strike scenario) In theory invading another country (as opposed to just holding the line at the border) is always aggressive, but if its nuclear the logic would go that a conventional invasion is the lesser, defensive option.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11905 on: August 28, 2017, 08:41:25 pm »

China has a really good soft-power schtick going on, the whole "defending an aggressive power trying to nuke the world" goes against that. If there's no way to spin it their way North Korea is on its own.

On an unrelated note: is conventionally invading a power that has nuked you considered a counter-attack?(assuming a first strike scenario) In theory invading another country (as opposed to just holding the line at the border) is always aggressive, but if its nuclear the logic would go that a conventional invasion is the lesser, defensive option.

An invasion is an invasion. Unless they do some sort of special forces decapitation strike, which would likely be a suicide mission with a billion ways of going wrong.

Though obviously, if NK were to strike first, they'd be on their own, I think that's the message China was trying to give.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11906 on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:46 pm »

Counter strike seems generally defined as any retaliatory military action, so I guess you could invade in retaliation and call it a counter strike.

Like, we invaded Germany in WWII. It looks like in terms of war an "aggressive" is understood as "the action or an act of attacking without provocation".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11907 on: August 28, 2017, 08:55:43 pm »

Uh, yeah, that would be a counter-attack, unless for some incredibly strange reason both the means of launch and production are inside the attacked country's borders. You don't even have to go nuclear for that, conventional warhead ICBMs would count well enough.

The point of defense is to stop an attack; if the attack is coming from inside another nation's borders invasion (or some kind of surgical strike, either via counter volley, bombing, or whatever) becomes a defensive action. Defensive action inside a border is only really considered restricted to those borders if doing so is sufficient to break the military capability of the aggressor force(s). Might be some weirdness so far as a post invasion occupation would go, but that'd be about it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11908 on: August 29, 2017, 02:49:16 am »

Counter strike seems generally defined as any retaliatory military action, so I guess you could invade in retaliation and call it a counter strike.

Like, we invaded Germany in WWII. It looks like in terms of war an "aggressive" is understood as "the action or an act of attacking without provocation".
IIRC didnt Germany declare war on the US? that was pretty  much a major factor
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11909 on: August 29, 2017, 02:58:46 am »

Don't believe they did. Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, US declared war on Japan, which automatically included war with it's ally Germany as well.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 3563