Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4167416 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11400 on: August 22, 2017, 11:57:00 am »

Though I think it's less cop worship in that case than criminal hate.

Or you know... It is simply people who don't hate cops...

The old "Anyone to the right of me is a Nazi", so anyone who doesn't hate cops is a Cop Worshiper.

Isn't that right Baltimore?

(Kind of Juicy that the Cop Hate has backfired in such an interesting way. Want cops with less presence? Well congratulations now cops have less presence! Enjoy the crime!

Some of it even highlights that a FEW of the things we thought were prejudice actually were more pragmatic)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:01:45 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11401 on: August 22, 2017, 12:10:36 pm »

Lets shift the topic back on rails to.. well.. something else...

Like, um, Trump is going to do a rally in Arizona (indoors, obviously) soon, among increasing speculation that he might pardon Joe Arpaio.
That'd just put the cherry on top, wouldn't it? Is there some connection between them, or would it just be a part of Trump courting the cop worshiper vote?

Well, Arpaio did go to a rally of Trumps when he was in Arizona and did endorse him. Was also a supporter of birtherism early on. Plus Trump thinks Arpaio is "America's toughest sheriff".

It seems more like pardoning a loyalist, the red meat to supporters is just a bonus along the usual rallying his base (whatever the hell happened to representing ALL Americans?).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:12:09 pm by smjjames »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11402 on: August 22, 2017, 12:12:59 pm »

Lets shift the topic back on rails to.. well.. something else...

Like, um, Trump is going to do a rally in Arizona (indoors, obviously) soon, among increasing speculation that he might pardon Joe Arpaio.
*deep breathing*

Fuckkkkkkkkkkk
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11403 on: August 22, 2017, 12:41:38 pm »

Arpaio is a living caricature of practical racism. I know people who are hardline crazy OBAMA (racial slur here) FAKED THE MOON LANDING kind of people who are repulsed by Arpaio.

There's no way he'll pardon him. I hope there's no way he'll pardon him.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11404 on: August 22, 2017, 12:44:59 pm »

The old "Anyone to the right of me is a Nazi", so anyone who doesn't hate cops is a Cop Worshiper.

(Kind of Juicy that the Cop Hate has backfired in such an interesting way. Want cops with less presence? Well congratulations now cops have less presence! Enjoy the crime!

Some of it even highlights that a FEW of the things we thought were prejudice actually were more pragmatic)

We're not talking about any cops here, but about Joe Arpaio...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11405 on: August 22, 2017, 12:51:32 pm »

We're not talking about any cops here, but about Joe Arpaio...

I think we just had a period in which something like 3 different discussions were going on about cops, blocking people, and capitalizing the word Libertarian and ykno what I absolutely could not follow it.

Right now Arpaio is the subject of our ire and if anyone disagrees I will block the cops and capitalize a NAFTA pardon. Am I cool now.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11406 on: August 22, 2017, 12:54:44 pm »

Arpaio is a living caricature of practical racism. I know people who are hardline crazy OBAMA (racial slur here) FAKED THE MOON LANDING kind of people who are repulsed by Arpaio.

That's exactly why Trump's "seriously considering" it: he's getting increasingly frustrated at being told what he can't do and how to do what he can do. Pardons are something he can dispense unilaterally in whatever manner he chooses. He could literally tweet Arpaio out of jail; that has considerable appeal to his ego just as a blatant display of power. He's also running out of moderating influences and still eager to prove he wasn't Bannon's puppet. He could see pardoning Arpaio as a way to show that all the nationalism and racist dog-whistling is his own idea.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11407 on: August 22, 2017, 12:59:06 pm »

Him and Trump's beliefs are very similar.  They both fail to properly distinguish between latino citizens and illegal immigrants.  And they both support policies that would make illegal immigrants into long-term second class citizens.  Joe being worse (on this one issue) because the policies he supported would turn all latinos into second class citizens, constantly having to live in fear of deportation.

Edit: I wouldn't call him a caricature.  He's more like, okay you know those countries that used to be colonies and the imperialists left a minority ruling over either a majority or several other minorities that are together the majority?  Like Iraq.  He's what a Sunni cop in Iraq would be in the Kurd or Shia areas.  Its just that we aren't used to that in the US, except in the context of African Americans, but we've been explaining that away for decades.  A typical person, but not in a typical place.

Double Edit: This is under Saddam Hussein to be clear.  I have no idea what if any law enforcement is going on in Iraq at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:11:56 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11408 on: August 22, 2017, 01:02:55 pm »

That's exactly why Trump's "seriously considering" it: he's getting increasingly frustrated at being told what he can't do and how to do what he can do. Pardons are something he can dispense unilaterally in whatever manner he chooses. He could literally tweet Arpaio out of jail; that has considerable appeal to his ego just as a blatant display of power. He's also running out of moderating influences and still eager to prove he wasn't Bannon's puppet. He could see pardoning Arpaio as a way to show that all the nationalism and racist dog-whistling is his own idea.

Although, in the past, he (or the WH) has floated test bubbles on things to gauge public reaction to it and then backed down on it. Though the back down was generally pretty quick, and no sign of him backing down on this one.

The problem is that doing more racist dog-whistling make his previous attempts to not dig himself further into the hole, hollow for-nothings.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11409 on: August 22, 2017, 01:06:12 pm »

I always wonder how naan generations back your have to go in the Arpaio family tree to find Latino blood, what with a name like that.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11410 on: August 22, 2017, 01:09:58 pm »

I always wonder how naan generations back your have to go in the Arpaio family tree to find Latino blood, what with a name like that.

naan? autocorrect strikes back? It would be interesting if there were Latino blood in his family tree somewhere.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11411 on: August 22, 2017, 01:13:04 pm »

Pretty far; his parents are from Italy.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11412 on: August 22, 2017, 01:16:57 pm »

Well, see, being a racist is one thing. They are similarly ignorant racists, but Arpaio is a level of evil that I don't think Trump has even come close to having reached. His Wikipedia page reads like a fan fiction of a Bond villain.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11413 on: August 22, 2017, 01:17:34 pm »

There's also the concern among Republicans in Congress that Trump is going to go after Senator Jeff Flake at the rally, since that's his state and Trump hates Flake (because Flake hates Trump, of course). Flake is vulnerable next year, and Trump appears to be backing a primary challenge to him (which, needless to say, is an unusual move for a President: to attack his own vulnerable party).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11414 on: August 22, 2017, 01:19:38 pm »

Pretty far; his parents are from Italy.

Lol, that just makes the whole anti-immigrant thing somewhat ironic.

Well, see, being a racist is one thing. They are similarly ignorant racists, but Arpaio is a level of evil that I don't think Trump has even come close to having reached. His Wikipedia page reads like a fan fiction of a Bond villain.

Well, Trump absolutely loves those tough authoritarian types and Arpaio certainly fits that mold to an extent.
Pages: 1 ... 759 760 [761] 762 763 ... 3564