Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4167432 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11415 on: August 22, 2017, 01:26:21 pm »

Well, see, being a racist is one thing. They are similarly ignorant racists, but Arpaio is a level of evil that I don't think Trump has even come close to having reached. His Wikipedia page reads like a fan fiction of a Bond villain.
Arpaio is the kind of guy Trump would have become if he was a veteran politician. Violent policies, extreme idiosyncrasies, and a gaggle of loyalists because nobody else would be tolerated.
There's also the concern among Republicans in Congress that Trump is going to go after Senator Jeff Flake at the rally, since that's his state and Trump hates Flake (because Flake hates Trump, of course). Flake is vulnerable next year, and Trump appears to be backing a primary challenge to him (which, needless to say, is an unusual move for a President: to attack his own vulnerable party).
It makes a sort of sense. Trump isn't loyal to the GOP at all, he'd like to shift the establishment into representing his values and policies. Less religious, more nationalistic, more isolationist. Doing this accomplishes that both directly and indirectly, directly by replacing people with Trump-brand candidates, indirectly by threatening to have a President of their own party turn on them if they obstruct the Trump agenda.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11416 on: August 22, 2017, 01:29:14 pm »

Arpaio for new chief of staff when?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11417 on: August 22, 2017, 01:30:03 pm »

Yeah Trump does love that kind of unilateral punishment, but he has a soul somewhere. He's an ignorant, sheltered, pompous racist, Arpaio is the modern incarnation of evil. I don't even want to get into the stuff he was involved in covering up or directly causing. He's like a Grand Theft Auto villain.

Look at his Wikipedia page for real, if anyone hasn't gotten their dose of horror-induced justice rage for the month.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11418 on: August 22, 2017, 01:38:16 pm »

And yet, even the most conservative politician would refuse to touch Arpaio with even a ten-foot pole.

Given that Arpaio is a longtime supporter of Trump, it's no surprise that he'd bearhug Arpaio. And no surprise that Trump appears to be oblivious to the consequences of pardoning Arpaio, which also looks like an act of cronyism than any sort of normal pardoning.

Also, the rally later tonight is going to be unscripted (as per usual), so.....

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11419 on: August 22, 2017, 01:43:13 pm »

I really hope nothing terrible happens. We've already reached bombing-levels of hate.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11420 on: August 22, 2017, 01:44:16 pm »

I'm thinking it's too much to hope that liberals know a political trap when they see one.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11421 on: August 22, 2017, 01:46:03 pm »

I'm thinking it's too much to hope that liberals know a political trap when they see one.

Self-awareness is difficult enough without also asking for perspective.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11422 on: August 22, 2017, 01:48:55 pm »

I'm afraid that we've maybe reached the point where it doesn't matter, and hurting [enemy group] is its own reward now. There's always a tipping point.

Not to toot my own horn but I've been on about that as the inevitable endgame of our methods for a long time now. I want to be wrong.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11423 on: August 22, 2017, 01:49:47 pm »

I really hope nothing terrible happens. We've already reached bombing-levels of hate.

Only against statues..........

That said, I hope nothing terrible happens at the rally. *attempts to subvert Murphy* Yo Trump! Break a Leg!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11424 on: August 22, 2017, 01:52:32 pm »

Only against statues..........

That said, I hope nothing terrible happens at the rally. *attempts to subvert Murphy* Yo Trump! Break a Leg!

You fool! Murphy is all-knowing. Do not draw his inexorable gaze.

Bombing in a park, though. I know I'm doing the slippery slope thing to a degree, but the point is I hope we can just let it happen and go home.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11425 on: August 22, 2017, 01:53:01 pm »

I think we just need to wait for politics to stabilize.

Right now both the left and right have been excited to extreme levels of tension and hate.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11426 on: August 22, 2017, 01:56:14 pm »

Right now both the left and right have been excited to extreme levels of tension and hate.

Why do you think letting things alone will lead to stabilization?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11427 on: August 22, 2017, 01:57:23 pm »

Why do you think letting things alone will lead to stabilization?

Because people get tired and slowly realize how stupid they are being?

But to Clarify I don't mean "Leave politics itself alone", just that people's extreme hate and stupidity is probably more of a phase.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11428 on: August 22, 2017, 01:58:49 pm »

An earthquake is the Earth's method of stabilizing (for the sake of the metaphor. It actually reduces/releases the tension) the tension built up along fault lines. Not all methods of reducing tension/pressure/whatever results in a non-violent event.

Pro-Trump groups have also been recognizing that now isn't a great time, some protests set for September 9th have been cancelled/postponed due to threats of violence.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11429 on: August 22, 2017, 01:59:31 pm »

An earthquake is the Earth's method of stabilizing (for the sake of the metaphor. It actually reduces/releases the tension) the tension built up along fault lines. Not all methods of reducing tension/pressure/whatever results in a non-violent event.

Pro-Trump groups have also been recognizing that now isn't a great time, some protests set for September 9th have been cancelled/postponed due to threats of violence.

Well, threats of violence and single-digit numbers of people RSVP'ed to attend.
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 3564