Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245412 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9750 on: July 29, 2017, 12:32:02 am »

In the New Yorker interview, Mooch specifically accused Reince Priebus of being the leaker (although it apparently took him a while to get there), so there's already precedent for him to just go "Bannon is leaking to the press" in some future rant to another confused journalist. Whether that will have as much effect on Bannon that it did on Priebus is uncertain, but it seems unlikely.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: July 29, 2017, 01:13:26 am »

Right. Now that Priebus is out, when the leaks don't stop (and they won't, because every member of this administration is self-serving enough to dish out the dirt when it suits them, in an attempt to better their own position) then he'll have to name *another* leaker. This has the potential to turn into some Reign of Terror shit, with former allies denouncing each other and throwing one another to the figurative guillotine. Wouldn't be surprised if Scaradouche has own head on the chopping block by the end of the year.

Not to mention, Trump himself is a pretty damn good source of leaks.

Meanwhile: North Korea has decided that now is a good time to poke the bear.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:16:05 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: July 29, 2017, 01:34:04 am »

Who pokes the frikkin bear that's vividly hallucinating pink elephant demons and swiping its claws around blindly, tearing apart the surrounding foliage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: July 29, 2017, 02:20:51 am »

Right. Now that Priebus is out, when the leaks don't stop (and they won't, because every member of this administration is self-serving enough to dish out the dirt when it suits them, in an attempt to better their own position) then he'll have to name *another* leaker. This has the potential to turn into some Reign of Terror shit, with former allies denouncing each other and throwing one another to the figurative guillotine. Wouldn't be surprised if Scaradouche has own head on the chopping block by the end of the year.

Not to mention, Trump himself is a pretty damn good source of leaks.

Meanwhile: North Korea has decided that now is a good time to poke the bear.

Who pokes the frikkin bear that's vividly hallucinating pink elephant demons and swiping its claws around blindly, tearing apart the surrounding foliage.

Bear would be Russia, should be Eagle.

And yes, I know the normal metaphor is 'poke the bear/other dangerous carnivore'. Though a vividly hallucinating and chaotically lashing out bear would be even more dangerous.

Anyways, uhoh, the NK situation is now definetly going to escalate. Doesn't help that the WH is distracted by everything and the state department is pretty much gutted.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:23:03 am by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9754 on: July 29, 2017, 02:24:34 am »

And yes, I know the normal metaphor is 'poke the bear/other dangerous carnivore'. Though a vividly hallucinating and chaotically lashing out bear would be even more dangerous.

Anyways, uhoh, the NK situation is now definetly going to escalate. Doesn't help that the WH is distracted by everything and the state department is pretty much gutted.

Why should it escalate now specifically? NK has been testing missiles every other week since the beginning of the year.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: July 29, 2017, 02:26:27 am »

Why should it escalate now specifically? NK has been testing missiles every other week since the beginning of the year.

Because Trump? *shrug*

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: July 29, 2017, 02:40:27 am »

Because Trump? *shrug*
^^^^^^

Trump doesn't grok "incremental response". I could very well see him ordering a nuclear strike on Pyongyang. I could also very well see the military chain of command refusing that order, absent an imminent attack from NK.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: July 29, 2017, 03:15:40 am »

Why should it escalate now specifically? NK has been testing missiles [and nukes] every other week since the beginning of the year. century

I tend to agree
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9758 on: July 29, 2017, 04:03:15 am »

Why should it escalate now specifically? NK has been testing missiles [and nukes] every other week since the beginning of the year. century

I tend to agree

You're exagerating, there is a clear increase in the pace of tests over the last two years. One each in 2014 and 2015, 5 in 2016 and 12 so far this year. But this also mean that one extra test doesn't change much.

At this point, the one thing that could cause someone to overreact is NK displaying a capacity to send a nuke via ICBM.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: July 29, 2017, 06:47:54 am »

Well, if things get bad enough (worse than this?) perhaps Trump'll start a war to try to make things better for himself/distract everyone from whateverthefuck is happening in the WH.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9760 on: July 29, 2017, 06:51:50 am »

At this point, the one thing that could cause someone to overreact is NK displaying a capacity to send a nuke via ICBM.

If the response was appropriate or in line with what you could reasonably expect from an informed decision, it wouldn't be called "overreacting".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: July 29, 2017, 07:34:20 am »

You're exagerating, there is a clear increase in the pace of tests over the last two years. One each in 2014 and 2015, 5 in 2016 and 12 so far this year. But this also mean that one extra test doesn't change much.

... isn't the whole reason people have been getting increasingly tetchy about the last couple (including the latest) specifically because they've been displaying greater apparent launch capability, relative to earlier tests? Iirc (I just woke up, mind, so I'm pretty definitely forgetting details, here) either this latest one or the one before displayed capability fairly conclusively indicative of being able to hit LA for the first time, or somethin' along those lines.

One extra test can change quite a lot if that one extra test is different from the ones before, heh. There's also, as y'note, the increase in frequency. Which I can kinda' understand, either 'cause they're getting close or 'cause one of their primary antagonistic entities (the US) ended up electing someone persistently inconclusive about how willing to nuke someone they are. Hand in hand with the political party that's been willing to include glassing other countries in their rhetoric without much or any censure gaining enough institutional control to conceptually make an offensive strike possible.

Add on that one of the major nuclear powers (russia) also violated a non-proliferation treaty (ukraine's you-no-invade-we-no-build-nuke thing) in the last few years, and you got some pretty fresh incentives to get stuff able to get in the air.

One of those cases where as sketchy as all hell as I am about NK being a nuclear power, at the same time I have trouble blaming pretty much fucking anyone for wanting the capability and the potential deterrence it brings to the table, right now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: July 29, 2017, 07:47:53 am »

Well, it was more an answer to smjjames going "Well, NOW it's going to escalate for sure".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9763 on: July 29, 2017, 08:21:42 am »

Ah, fair enough. Probably not that far, if still fairly fair to think it might be more likely than earlier. Kinda' hard to say where the lines are with the actors involved without bombs actually flying, unfortunately :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9764 on: July 29, 2017, 08:54:58 am »

We've been kicking the explosive can of finishing the Korean War down the road for decades. We can keep kicking and hope for the best, or deal with the disposing of the can now. Neither is especially pleasant.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 3569