Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245638 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: post-G20 Trump stuff
« Reply #9015 on: July 10, 2017, 06:06:23 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/10/business/dealbook/class-action-lawsuits-finance-banks.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

well look who's come out against the consumer and for corporate abuse again...

Care to expand on this? The article is written from a pro-consumer viewpoint, and the rule the article is about is extremely pro-consumer (essentially banning credit card companies from burying "Thou Shalt Not Sue Us" in the fine print of their contracts), so I'm not sure who has "come out against the consumer and for corporate abuse" here.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9016 on: July 10, 2017, 06:09:55 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/10/business/dealbook/class-action-lawsuits-finance-banks.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

well look who's come out against the consumer and for corporate abuse again...

Care to expand on this? The article is written from a pro-consumer viewpoint, and the rule the article is about is extremely pro-consumer (essentially banning credit card companies from burying "Thou Shalt Not Sue Us" in the fine print of their contracts), so I'm not sure who has "come out against the consumer and for corporate abuse" here.

+1 to expanding/explaining. The article reads like the rule is pretty seriously pro-consumer.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9017 on: July 10, 2017, 06:27:43 pm »

all the corrupt politicians with their "equality" that's actually in corporate interest and anti "regulation" coming out against stopping companies from shutting down people suing them for stuff because they cant afford it and going along their merry way not changing anything and saying they are actually pro consumer.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: July 10, 2017, 06:33:54 pm »

I don't see whats so confusing. But maybe its my unabashed corporation hate coming through.

edit: If you would like to correct me in my assumptions please explain.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:42:29 pm by redwallzyl »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9019 on: July 10, 2017, 06:49:09 pm »

Arbitration with the finantial system almost always ends up with stuff favourable to the banks, so allowing people to actualy reach out to the judiciary for such thing is a good step forward, IMO. Sure, its not an avenue your lonesome average joe can purse, but its still better then tying people's hands on skewed arbitration. It gives customers more liberty in such dealings and generally increases the chance of a more balanced and just end to negotiations. Corporations absolutely love arbitration since it allows them to circumvent the courts and play in a field thats generally more favourable to them, and lets them do better damage control when they really are on the wrong side of things. Cases solved through arbitration are also much less likely to spread through the media, meaning there's a much lower risk of the corporations involved getting hit in the face with a slab full of bad press which could cause a wave of similar cases to pop up and cost them tons of money.

So ye, don't see this as a terrible thing either.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:52:36 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9020 on: July 10, 2017, 06:52:33 pm »

Or, to put it more simply, a regulatory body has issued a rule that prevents banks from blatantly abusing their customers and then hiding from any consequences. Nobody who is not a bank should see anything wrong with this.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9021 on: July 10, 2017, 08:08:05 pm »

I don't see whats so confusing. But maybe its my unabashed corporation hate coming through.

edit: If you would like to correct me in my assumptions please explain.
No, no. The sentence didn't make any sense as written. That's what was confusing.
Oh, i may have given the impression i was for arbitration. I'm not for the record. I'm tired, i blame that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9022 on: July 10, 2017, 09:48:51 pm »

Well, well, well, as I changed the title to from a random thought, the Russian shoe(s)(metaphor for the scandal and the infinite shoes that are dropping over time) is deepening. (NYT)There's a new report out that Donald Trump Jr. had recieved an email saying that there was a Russian effort to aid campaign. The Hill Vox

It's not quite a smoking gun, but we're seeing the hand holding the gun, I think, and it's pretty damning in general.

Also, I wonder who the heck is leaking from the WH, three sources at least. I wonder who is the 'Deep Throat' in all of this. No, not that 'Deep Throat', this 'Deep Throat'.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:55:07 pm by smjjames »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9023 on: July 10, 2017, 10:05:03 pm »

I don't think it's only one place, but you can't deny that on the global geopolitical stage the nations of Europe don't wield that kind of power unless they act in concert.

Besides, there's a convenient animal symbol for all of Europe, less so for each of the nations or even just the regional powerhouses. If you want to get fancy we can say that the others have this sort of thing as well. Pakistan falls under the Tiger, Canada under the Eagle, Belarus under the Bear, etc.
excuse me, Beaver?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9024 on: July 10, 2017, 10:12:47 pm »

All this talk of beavers and deep throats has me getting all gooey in the girdle... pretty sure I'm wearing it wrong.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9025 on: July 10, 2017, 10:14:03 pm »

I don't think it's only one place, but you can't deny that on the global geopolitical stage the nations of Europe don't wield that kind of power unless they act in concert.

Besides, there's a convenient animal symbol for all of Europe, less so for each of the nations or even just the regional powerhouses. If you want to get fancy we can say that the others have this sort of thing as well. Pakistan falls under the Tiger, Canada under the Eagle, Belarus under the Bear, etc.
excuse me, Beaver?

I suspect you might have meant to quote me. I was joking around. :) Maybe the noble Moose?

All this talk of beavers and deep throats has me getting all gooey in the girdle... pretty sure I'm wearing it wrong.

Lol XD

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9026 on: July 10, 2017, 10:39:06 pm »

No I meant to quote him, for his terrible choice in lumping Canada in with a fucking Eagle.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9027 on: July 10, 2017, 10:40:54 pm »

Mexico would be a better choice for expanding the Eagle-ism.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9028 on: July 10, 2017, 10:44:38 pm »

Canada isn't even an animal. It's a goddamn nuclear leaf.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9029 on: July 10, 2017, 11:09:21 pm »

Hey, don't say the Republicans never do anything for space ...

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/07/congress-close-to-approving-a-new-space-army/

Apparently, funding NASA is a waste of money but training a Space Army can't happen soon enough.
SPEHSS MARINES

Seriously though....what the fuck are they going to do? There's no one to fight in space (currently), we have no delivery vehicles to get them troops even if there were,  and monitoring our satellites and other orbital assets is already covered by the Air Force Space Command. I think some representatives just had a weekend session of watching Aliens and Starship Troopers and were like "Fuck yeah, bro! That was sick! We need some of that!"

....I may or may not envision most Republican members of Congress as brain-damaged frat boys. PROVE ME WRONG.

Bets on how long it takes to fabricate nebulous, but intensely paranoia-inducing enemy threats from space?  Worthy of huge private contracts that ostensibly fund expansion of this new organization to defend us, but really just got subcontracted out in a fizzling death spiral of incestuous favor-passing that accomplishes almost nothing?  What kind of startling event will be seized on to kickstart the support movement?

An asteroid?  :D
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 3569