Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4246075 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: post-G20 Trump stuff
« Reply #8940 on: July 09, 2017, 01:38:43 pm »

Except China is still a nuclear dragon, one best left napping rather than getting into a dick measuring contest with nuclear bear and nuclear eagle, especially since it is kinda smothering nuclear tiger siblings to the south.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: July 09, 2017, 01:49:16 pm »

Who's the nuclear tiger, India? or India+Pakistan as you said siblings. Also, war with the US is the last thing China wants, given how interconnected trade is between China and the US, and a war would destabilize that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: July 09, 2017, 01:51:38 pm »

The Tiger = India

The Dragon = China

The Bear = Russia

The Eagle = America

The Bull = Europe

Wonder what you'd call Brazil. The Snake?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: July 09, 2017, 02:00:44 pm »

It fits.

between one and five snakes per square metermeter

I take great offense we you thinking Europe is only one place though.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: July 09, 2017, 02:04:44 pm »

I don't think it's only one place, but you can't deny that on the global geopolitical stage the nations of Europe don't wield that kind of power unless they act in concert.

Besides, there's a convenient animal symbol for all of Europe, less so for each of the nations or even just the regional powerhouses. If you want to get fancy we can say that the others have this sort of thing as well. Pakistan falls under the Tiger, Canada under the Eagle, Belarus under the Bear, etc.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: July 09, 2017, 02:10:04 pm »

I don't think it's only one place, but you can't deny that on the global geopolitical stage the nations of Europe don't wield that kind of power unless they act in concert.

Besides, there's a convenient animal symbol for all of Europe, less so for each of the nations or even just the regional powerhouses. If you want to get fancy we can say that the others have this sort of thing as well. Pakistan falls under the Tiger, Canada under the Eagle, Belarus under the Bear, etc.

I don't think that lumping India and Pakistan together in one animal makes much sense, unless we're going mythological with a two headed snake that fights with itself or somesuch.

Except China is still a nuclear dragon, one best left napping rather than getting into a dick measuring contest with nuclear bear and nuclear eagle, especially since it is kinda smothering nuclear tiger siblings to the south.

China has been playing the long game for decades. Napping is a very poor way of describing their designs for the Pacific
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: July 09, 2017, 02:11:33 pm »

I don't think that lumping India and Pakistan together in one animal makes much sense, unless we're going mythological with a two headed snake that fights with itself or somesuch.
That's actually pretty much what I had in mind. I think I've even seen some art representing just that, of two tigers fighting one another.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: July 09, 2017, 02:12:42 pm »

@scriver: I suppose he meant the EU?

@MSH: Nah, Canada has the Beaver ;)

China has been playing the long game for decades. Napping is a very poor way of describing their designs for the Pacific

To be fair, Max did say 'siblings' and Pakistan broke off from the northern/northwestern part of India.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: July 09, 2017, 02:13:40 pm »

Red Tiger/Green Tiger?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8949 on: July 09, 2017, 02:14:11 pm »

u wot
Germany, France and the UK all individually have more GDP and power projection than Russia, India and Brazil, and the UK & France regularly engage in their own power projection on the global geopolitical stage. Germany doesn't engage in such missions out of choice. UK & France, nuclear powers, UK the only other blue water navy besides the USA, and the soft power capabilities of the UK & France are phenomenal. Japan also absolutely cannot be left out, being arguably the 3rd or 4th most powerful nation in the world (despite its rather ambivalent foreign policy)

What the hell are you talking about with this convenient animal, there exist convenient animals for the great powers of Europe but there exists no animal for the continent

There is a saying in China, of a dragon stuck in a pond. It symbolizes something mighty and ambitious, trapped and confined in a place where it is useless. As an addition to that, there is another saying: One of the dragon escaping the pond and entering the ocean, whereupon its potential to achieve great things and destroy its foes is nearly limitless. Allowing the Chinese into the pacific where before the USA was unchallenged is not going to decrease tensions, it is only going to increase them - and allow China a far superior position to challenge the USA than if it were to engage in the confrontation the Trump and Obama admins started.

*EDIT
Aye, this is their most aggressive maritime expansion in 600 years
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:16:05 pm by Loud Whispers »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: July 09, 2017, 02:18:30 pm »

Germany has more power projection capacity than Russia? What sort of metric are you using?

But yeah, thinking back to the legend, a bull is the last animal I'd assign to Europe. A swan, maybe? Or the owl of Pallas Athena?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: July 09, 2017, 02:21:38 pm »

That's pretty similar to 'big fish in a little pond', though the connotations are somewhat different. Also, you could say that China started the confrontation since it started the action, though Obama wasn't paying attention very well.

The Pacific is certainly big enough for both China and the US, China would rather us just stay on our side of it. Complicating things is the fact that we have allies on the Chinese 'side'.

As I said earlier, China really doesn't want to get into a conflict with the US if it can avoid it since it would hit their economy hard due to how interconnected it is with the US economy.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:26:47 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: July 09, 2017, 02:26:29 pm »

u wot
Germany, France and the UK all individually have more GDP and power projection than Russia, India and Brazil, and the UK & France regularly engage in their own power projection on the global geopolitical stage. Germany doesn't engage in such missions out of choice. UK & France, nuclear powers, UK the only other blue water navy besides the USA, and the soft power capabilities of the UK & France are phenomenal. Japan also absolutely cannot be left out, being arguably the 3rd or 4th most powerful nation in the world (despite its rather ambivalent foreign policy)
GDP ain't everything. Your mention of Japan shows it, not everybody gets involved in the great game. The UK, France, and Germany are all powerful nations but that whole crisis of identity thing is pretty haunting, call me when you've eliminated either the federalists or the nationalists.

Germany's refusal to engage is much more like a preference to have an EU body to do it, in this brave new world the next imperialists shall call themselves anti-imperialists.
What the hell are you talking about with this convenient animal, there exist convenient animals for the great powers of Europe but there exists no animal for the continent
It's literally in the name, don't get salty because your continent was named after divine bestiality. Or are we pretending this week that the isles are a stand in for Atlantis that just happen to be near the filthy Europeans?

There also aren't a lot of choices considering the legacy of Rome. They saw men, eagles, bulls, and lions as their animal symbols. You can't pick humans, we stole the eagle already, and lions are extinct in Europe so that'd be tacky as hell.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:30:08 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: July 09, 2017, 02:35:40 pm »

Japan is certainly flexing their muscle a little bit and could become a formidable naval power if they really wanted to. Though most of their current military worries center around NK.

Also, Japan has some of the same problems with the divide between federalists and nationalists I believe.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:37:18 pm by smjjames »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: July 09, 2017, 02:36:05 pm »

I said napping dragon rather than sleeping because they're clearly yawning and stretching their tail out and jostling those nearby, but they haven't started stomping around eating people just yet.
The Tiger = India

The Dragon = China

The Bear = Russia

The Eagle = America

The Bull = Europe

Wonder what you'd call Brazil. The Snake?
India and Pakistan remind me of what happens when you first introduce two adult tigers, they'll sit there grumbling and sizing each other up, and you hope nothing sets them off, but if it does you don't fucking get involved. Brazil, hmmm, python, jaguar, tarantula, all have good arguments, but we all know the right answer is nuclear capybara.

Oh, and I know Brazil isn't a nuclear power, but that's seemingly by choice/encouragement from up north, making them the odd duck here.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:38:18 pm by Max™ »
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 3569