Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4263691 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8010 on: June 16, 2017, 11:22:33 am »

It's a big indicator and about the easiest to track, but other stuff works, too. The issue that causes a good chunk of it is exposure to somewhat more means of analysis than normally encountered in less technical stuff. You can get that outside college, but it ain't near as likely to happen just sorta' by passive osmosis.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: June 16, 2017, 11:42:32 am »

That fiverthirtyeight comparison of past Presdents' approval ratings is certainly something. I try to make a point of checking pollsters' methodology (I work in a statistical field), and I always have to wonder when I see things like "automated phone polls". You're always going to have to consider that those sorts of results are based on only those people who are actually inclined to participate, and it's not even like you can correct for it. You can't poll the group of people who don't take part in polls to see how they compare to people who do, after all.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: June 16, 2017, 12:06:09 pm »

Well yeah. Is what the whole margin of error thing is about, in part, last I paid attention to polling methodology.
Ask not!
Ask!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: June 16, 2017, 01:05:35 pm »

So Trump is restricting trade with Cuba again... wants to re-negotiate parts of the deal.  Out of the blue, with almost no warning.

Of course, by doing this before negotiation, now he has no leverage, so...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: June 16, 2017, 01:10:23 pm »

What about all the other things Trump has done, OSG? The things that stick out for me are the travel ban, firing Comey, and the conflicts of interest.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: June 16, 2017, 01:17:57 pm »

I guess the leverage might be rolling back the restrictions, but I recall that the thing Obama did with Cuba actually took years, so, it'd be understandable if the Cubans decide not to negotiate if there is no guarantee that he or the next President wouldn't act unilaterally.

It's not entirely out of the blue, he and other Republicans (Rubio especially) have been talking about rolling back the Cuba deal for a long while now. Though saying that he wants to renegotiate the deal AFTER he removes it seems kind of dumb because of his background since he should know that's not how you do it. Then again, Trump is Trump and he's never managed any sort of major company where he has to carefully negotiate deals.

What about all the other things Trump has done, OSG? The things that stick out for me are the travel ban, firing Comey, and the conflicts of interest.

His base cheers for the travel ban and to a lesser extent, firing Comey.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: June 16, 2017, 01:19:36 pm »

I am against the travel ban, but it was struck down, so no lasting problem. I am for the firing of comet, as he deserved to be fired. I have not researched his conflicts of interest too much, but I will get back to you on that. He's not perfect by any means, but he is doing rather well, I feel.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: June 16, 2017, 01:22:36 pm »

Neil Gorsuch -> Fair enough, tho like others said, he's pretty much "replace Scalia with another Scalia," tho tbh the few things I've heard about the guy make me a little worried.

Canceling Nasa's Asteroid redirect project (it sounds cool, but if you think about it, it's really stupid) -> I'm not entirely sure why this is stupid? Having the capability to redirect an asteroid, considering what they've done in the past, sounds entirely like a Good Thing. And having resources in space we can mine instead of expensively shipping up metal or manufactored goods is a fair plan, depending on how expensive the redirect+mine+refine+manufactor turns out to cost in the long run.

Decreasing the dept by 100 billion -> Well others have gone over this, i.e. that it hasn't actually happened yet, that it's based on a budget that double-counts a lot of shit, that even if it were true, it's a drop in the bucket, and that the cuts that he wants are less "trim the budget" and more "hah, fuck you libs," like cutting really small things that cost literally less than pennies per person, like arts programs and youth programs and after-school programs.

The misslie strike on Syria -> Fair enough. I'm not a huge fan of it, but that's as much personal opinion as anything; I won't argue on it. Others have said things like "it might have been an Obama plan" but I don't know enough to say anything about it.

Approving Keystone pipeline -> ... Why? What's so good about the pipeline? Oil is kinda shitty, and it's dirt cheap now so not much profit to be made on it, and it's on the way out. Not really sure why building an expensive pipeline that fucks with a lot of people and probably won't pay for itself before it goes obsolete is a Good Thing.

E: Comey: I can see that. I think the main problem with that is the optics of firing the guy in charge of investigating something you're a key part of. If he had instead gone to Comey and said "Find me a good replacement for you," (or asked someone else part of the FBI, so it doesn't just seem like Comey gets replaced with a Comey puppet (even if that probably wouldn't have been the actuality)) and been more careful about it, making sure it looked like more of a "I'm getting rid of the person who everybody dislikes and putting in someone independent with a clean slate," instead of firing the guy who's troublesome for him through a letter in a courier and not actually having a replacement for the investigation, I think it would have gone over a lot better.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:27:32 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: June 16, 2017, 01:23:13 pm »

Dennis Rodman has gone to North Korea thanks to PotCoin and has given Kim Jong Un "The Art of the Deal."  He has also said that Trump would be "Happy...I'm over here trying to accomplish something."  This has caused speculation that he is serving as an emissary between Trump and Kim Jong Un.

I am completely serious.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: June 16, 2017, 01:25:31 pm »

I'm reasonably sure Mr. Rodman coached the NK basketball team at some point.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: June 16, 2017, 01:26:36 pm »

I'm not asking any of you to be happy with it. I am just showing how his approval is higher than everybody thinks it should be.

Do keep in mind that everything I am saying is based off of the alternative (Clinton)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: June 16, 2017, 01:28:41 pm »

I am against the travel ban, but it was struck down, so no lasting problem. I am for the firing of comet, as he deserved to be fired. I have not researched his conflicts of interest too much, but I will get back to you on that. He's not perfect by any means, but he is doing rather well, I feel.
... the ban hasn't exactly been struck down, though. There's still the SCOTUS going over it to be tried, and every time a judge has suspended the thing, trump & co. have appealed or tried a new one.

You'll have fun with the conflict of interest, though, if you actually bother digging much. Dude's the most openly corrupt president I've seen in my life, ha. And I'm not even saying that from the leftist perspective, that's coming straight from my business and accounting education.
Ask not!
Ask!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: June 16, 2017, 01:29:31 pm »

The asteroid redirect mission has very little scientific gain (because sending a probe can do everything we need for a fraction of the cost) and it would be a near-Earth asteroid, which generally are poor in exotic minerals.

Sorry for double post. Posting from phone

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: June 16, 2017, 01:33:11 pm »

If you (or anybody) like(s) Gorsuch, I'm expecting you not to complain, to not utter a single word if the Democrats spend 2018-2020 refusing all Republican nominees, win 2020, and nominate left-wing Justices 51-49. That is the standard you must now reach to not be a hypocrite. It's one thing to be politically shrewd, it's quite another to game the system and then break it when called out.

Cancelling NASA projects is like cancelling emergency provisions and lifeboats on your shiny cruseliner because they're an unnecessary waste of money. Everybody thinks they are so clever trashing "blue-sky research". Not getting lucky on a boat only throws away hundreds of lives. Not getting lucky in cosmic affairs is often a cost we cannot pay. In a way this is much worse, since we have a surplus of lifeboats, but zero experience with redirection.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: June 16, 2017, 01:34:37 pm »

Cause I can see how a small lump of rock orbiting the moon will save humanity...

Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 3572