Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4263693 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #7980 on: June 16, 2017, 09:33:12 am »

Also, the people that voted for him are thus far quite impressed with his performance. Myself included.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: June 16, 2017, 09:37:18 am »

Also, the people that voted for him are thus far quite impressed with his performance. Myself included.

Really? Like, what achievments do you like?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: June 16, 2017, 09:38:26 am »

I've seen folks point to the southwest border data, mostly. It's massively overselling what trump is managing on the immigration enforcement front, but it definitely is a notable change.

The fact that Trump has conflicts of interests WAY up the wazoo isn't surprising. What seems surprising is more people aren't making a fuss over this one.
Conflicts of interest, yes, but this isn't conflict of interest. It's looking entirely like a straight up bald faced emoluments clause violation, never mind the general corruption it signals; money coming from a foreign business or power to the president's personal coffers over a deal he personally oversaw. It's definitely surprising no one seems to have noticed, though, yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: June 16, 2017, 09:42:01 am »

Really? Like, what achievments do you like?
Neil Gorsuch

Canceling Nasa's Asteroid redirect project (it sounds cool, but if you think about it, it's really stupid)

Decreasing the dept by 100 billion

The misslie strike on Syria

Approving Keystone pipeline
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: June 16, 2017, 09:45:15 am »

Um, the debt is like 20 trillion, 100 billion is a drop in the bucket. If he decreased the debt by a trillion or more, THEN I might be impressed.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:47:54 am by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: June 16, 2017, 09:47:08 am »

Neil Gorsuch

Canceling Nasa's Asteroid redirect project (it sounds cool, but if you think about it, it's really stupid)

Well, Neil Gorsuch is a decent choice I guess, although it doesn't seem like an achievment and more like the normal consequence of being Pres.  What department (or is it debt) are you talking about?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: June 16, 2017, 09:47:10 am »

Would you rather the debt had continued to rise?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: June 16, 2017, 09:49:27 am »

Neil Gorsuch

Well, Neil Gorsuch is a decent choice I guess, although it doesn't seem like an achievment and more like the normal consequence of being Pres.  What department (or is it debt) are you talking about?

That was the SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the US) nominee to replace Scalia who died last year.

Of course not, no. As for the 100 Bil or so, you're talking about the health care bill that Republicans are attempting to work on, right? You do realize that thing breaks all kinds of things that he promised?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:52:05 am by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: June 16, 2017, 09:53:26 am »

The debt can only be estimated, this early, and depends primarily upon the deficit and other factors.  And debt as a proportion of GDP is a better aim (if GDP goes down in order to lower the debt then it may not help, and raising the debt to fuel a rise in GDP is not a bad thing...).

But you pick your 'experts' and takes your opinions, I suppose...

(And if it turns out we can't spot/stop the asteroid with our name on it, I'd call cancelling that NASA project a false economy...)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:56:43 am by Starver »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: June 16, 2017, 09:53:56 am »

I can see Gorsuch, action in Syria, and the Keystone pipeline (even if I strongly oppose to the Keystone pipeline, Gorsuch isn't a terrible pick and airstrikes in Syria may have been warranted), but doing stuff with the debt isn't part of what the president does. Presidents do have a lot of influence on where money goes, but ultimately it's Congress that decides things like taxes/massive health care acts of various kinds.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: June 16, 2017, 09:56:34 am »

To Liberals, Gorsuch is a terrible pick, but he really just maintains a rough status quo where it was when Scalia was there. The REAL fight is going to be the next opening, IMO.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: June 16, 2017, 09:59:32 am »

So it was the debt. Seems a bit premature to cite it as a Trump achievement when it occured before he got anything done. And of course if he ever gets his budget passed the debt will skyrocket.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: June 16, 2017, 10:01:44 am »

To Liberals, Gorsuch is a terrible pick, but he really just maintains a rough status quo where it was when Scalia was there. The REAL fight is going to be the next opening, IMO.
That's why I specified "for the people who voted for him"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: June 16, 2017, 10:01:59 am »

So it was the debt. Seems a bit premature to cite it as a Trump achievement when it occured before he got anything done. And of course if he ever gets his budget passed the debt will skyrocket.

The budget proposed by the President is just that, a proposal, nothing more. Congress has already said that it's dead in the water and lots of Republicans are opposed to various parts of it. As TheDarkStar said, Congress has the power of the purse, not the President.

That's why I specified "for the people who voted for him"

That was at TheDarkStar though.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: June 16, 2017, 10:19:38 am »

Cis

Why not just say "normal"?

That implies that other people are abnormal. In what way are people who are not cis gendered not normal? Because they are less common?
Yes.

nor·mal
ˈnôrməl
adjective
conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 3572