Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4153417 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6345 on: May 15, 2017, 10:45:53 pm »

So...when do we begin storming the Bastille?

Or do we just sit around and formulate snarky memes? Because that'll show em....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: May 15, 2017, 11:06:02 pm »

Or do we just sit around and formulate snarky memes? Because that'll show em....

You'd reduce the country to ashes over this?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: May 15, 2017, 11:31:09 pm »

Over this one single instance of a colossal idiot disclosing classified information to an adversary because he wanted to be the cool kid in the room? Nah.

Over the collected preponderance of evidence that the man is utterly corrupt and unfit for office, and that his supporters have abandoned any semblance of love of country? Maybe.

I mean Jesus fuck....if we assess every new grievance purely on its own merits in a vacuum, it'll probably never be worth it. And that's why we're fucked as a country.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: May 15, 2017, 11:34:31 pm »

Over this one single instance of a colossal idiot disclosing classified information to an adversary because he wanted to be the cool kid in the room? Nah.

Over the collected preponderance of evidence that the man is utterly corrupt and unfit for office, and that his supporters have abandoned any semblance of love of country? Maybe.

I mean Jesus fuck....if we assess every new grievance purely on its own merits in a vacuum, it'll probably never be worth it. And that's why we're fucked as a country.

Or y'know, wait four years and get someone better elected. If the people of the country are fucked up enough not to notice and change things, all the stormed bastilles in the world won't result in anything nicer, unless, once the ash settles, we roll really, really well on our enlightened despot check.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6349 on: May 15, 2017, 11:49:23 pm »

I have absolutely zero faith in the democratic process at this point, and I will genuinely be shocked if this is resolved peacefully through the ballot box.

The basic concept of representatives being even marginally accountable to their constituents seems to have withered on the vine. I don't expect the GOP to lose control of Congress in 2018. I'm not even sure we'll make it to the 2018 elections as a functioning nation.

If Caliwashigon makes a break for it, I'll head West and join them.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: May 16, 2017, 12:22:03 am »

I have absolutely zero faith in the democratic process at this point, and I will genuinely be shocked if this is resolved peacefully through the ballot box.

The basic concept of representatives being even marginally accountable to their constituents seems to have withered on the vine. I don't expect the GOP to lose control of Congress in 2018. I'm not even sure we'll make it to the 2018 elections as a functioning nation.

If Caliwashigon makes a break for it, I'll head West and join them.

Do you think it would help any if we went all Congressional Apportionment Amendment of 1789 and added more representatives so that it gave us 1 for every 50,000 people? That would mean another 6000 seats in the house... which might make things a bit crowded.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: May 16, 2017, 12:29:01 am »

Build a bigger house, then.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: May 16, 2017, 12:54:50 am »

Build a bigger house, then.

Make 'em stand up.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: May 16, 2017, 12:57:19 am »

Make multiple levels, like a big stadium or concert hall.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: May 16, 2017, 01:10:16 am »

Just cut the middle man out and have 1 vote per citizen, done by mobile phone. If you can't get 50% of the citizens voting yes on your bill, it doesn't get up.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: May 16, 2017, 01:12:30 am »

Here's an interesting question, has the massive growth of population, land mass, and global power of the United States made our continued use of the Constitutional system non-optimal or even dangerous? I mean, confederacies are traditionally small, and a major complaint during the ratification era was that the size of the States and of the Union was too large to allow the system to survive.

The entire text of Federalist 9, just on general principles
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: May 16, 2017, 01:13:42 am »

Just cut the middle man out and have 1 vote per citizen, done by mobile phone. If you can't get 50% of the citizens voting yes on your bill, it doesn't get up.

Our declaration of war for perfidious assault upon our information infrastructure has been stymied by the damage to our information infrastructure. *shakes fist*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: May 16, 2017, 01:23:22 am »

If it's became more non-optimal because of growth et al, I'd probably wager the effect was notably smaller than, say, the invention of the telephone or car, or some few dozen other things. Constitutional system's changed with the times a fair bit. It's likely less optimal than it was earlier,* but optimality's never really been a working measure of living means of societal organization. It's mostly been doing alright, with some hiccups here and there, as methods of government goes.

*To the extent it was optimal at all to begin with, considering the originators might as well have been lobotomized blind rats so far as straight up physical capability to manage that particular measure goes, to say nothing about all the other ways they weren't nearly well equipped for such an endeavor. Trying to talk optimal in regards to a period when fucking statistics functionally didn't exist, never mind all the other shit that just wasn't getting and couldn't get any attention, is something of an exercise in futility. Whole thing's been about idealism more than efficiency, by a very, very long shot, heh.

Make multiple levels, like a big stadium or concert hall.
Nah, pack the bloody buggers into the one we have, clown car style. If some of them don't make it out of the compacted katamari cube of politicians, well, ent of freedom thirsts for blood or something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: May 16, 2017, 01:25:36 am »

Dayum that Trump. It's almost time to start placing bets on who's gonna take him down. The Court, the FBI, the CIA, MI6, or Batman?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: May 16, 2017, 01:34:02 am »

If it's became more non-optimal because of growth et al, I'd probably wager the effect was notably smaller than, say, the invention of the telephone or car, or some few dozen other things. Constitutional system's changed with the times a fair bit. It's likely less optimal than it was earlier,* but optimality's never really been a working measure of living means of societal organization. It's mostly been doing alright, with some hiccups here and there, as methods of government goes.

*To the extent it was optimal at all to begin with, considering the originators might as well have been lobotomized blind rats so far as straight up physical capability to manage that particular measure goes, to say nothing about all the other ways they weren't nearly well equipped for such an endeavor. Trying to talk optimal in regards to a period when fucking statistics functionally didn't exist, never mind all the other shit that just wasn't getting and couldn't get any attention, is something of an exercise in futility. Whole thing's been about idealism more than efficiency, by a very, very long shot, heh.

That's a pretty poor description of Enlightenment era techniques. Madison in particular did a ridiculous amount of historic study on what had been done previous to the United States.
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 3563