Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229263 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal trail of hot gunpowder edition
« Reply #3840 on: March 22, 2017, 07:41:49 pm »

But if Ryancare fails as spectacularly as it appears to, will he even have the backing of his own party for trying to push such a clusterfuck of a bill?

Are you talking about Trump or Paul Ryan there? If Trump, to be fair, it's Congress that drafted up the plan, not Trump. If Paul Ryan, no idea. Not sure if he can be forced out via vote of no confidence, Bohner quit under pressure I believe rather than voted out of the Chairman position.

Could still put Ryans chairmanship in danger in the new congress in 2019.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: March 22, 2017, 07:43:38 pm »

But if Ryancare fails as spectacularly as it appears to, will he even have the backing of his own party for trying to push such a clusterfuck of a bill?
Considering parts of his party doesn't support him because the bill's not enough of a clusterfuck for their tastes, I'm fairly sure the questionable quality of the supported bill isn't going to be a major issue.

E: On that front, anyway. Other fronts, probably.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: March 22, 2017, 07:56:13 pm »

Well... I know in the case of presidential impeachment, that it ends with a removal from office and a replacement with the vice president, but what if the impeachment is over the entire election being fraudulent? What then? Does it really make sense to, in a case where a president won their candidacy based on illegal means, to simply replace them with their VP?

That's not a case handled by the Constitution and is a very dangerous sort of precedent to be setting.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: March 22, 2017, 07:59:57 pm »

I hate customs so much.  And they've definitely gotten worse under Trump.  I've had run-ins with two officers now in the last couple months who clearly took pleasure in belittling and jerking me around over the phone.  One I just spoke with wouldn't even let me explain the situation, told me I had no authority to speak to him, and finished the call with a Joker-level smug-sounding "Bye Bye!" before hanging up on me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: March 22, 2017, 08:08:56 pm »

Well... I know in the case of presidential impeachment, that it ends with a removal from office and a replacement with the vice president, but what if the impeachment is over the entire election being fraudulent? What then? Does it really make sense to, in a case where a president won their candidacy based on illegal means, to simply replace them with their VP?

That's not a case handled by the Constitution and is a very dangerous sort of precedent to be setting.

Simply put, it's entirely in uncharted waters/land/territory/space. If the election was fraudulent, does that make Pence a fraudulent VP (even though he has had absolutely no connections to the scandal as far as we can tell)? Which is just one of the many questions that would have to be answered.

There are other methods that could be used, and yes, it's a dangerous precedent, but it's a precedent that's going to be made due to the simple fact that we are in uncharted waters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: March 22, 2017, 08:17:56 pm »

Though I'll say again: I don't want Donald Trump impeached and neither should you. Pence is both more consciously evil and more politically competent. The GOP deserves to reap what they've sown.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: March 22, 2017, 08:21:07 pm »

Though I'll say again: I don't want Donald Trump impeached and neither should you. Pence is both more consciously evil and more politically competent. The GOP deserves to reap what they've sown.

There's the saying "the evil that you DO know vs the evil that you DON'T know".

Yes, the GOP should reap what they've sown, but Trump shouldn't get away with it either.

It's going to be a VERY LONG 3 and 3/4s years.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:23:35 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: March 22, 2017, 08:26:29 pm »

There's the saying "the evil that you DO know vs the evil that you DON'T know".

Yes, the GOP should reap what they've sown (or is it sewn?), but Trump shouldn't get away with it either.
I didn't say Trump shouldn't get fucked (and he may well if he ends his Presidency unpopular and still accused of several crimes), but I prefer Trump alone not suffering for his electoral misconduct as long as the GOP as a whole gets thrown out. The President is only one man in the system of the state, albeit an influential one.

I also think Pence would just plain commit more evil, and rapidly so. From all I've seen of Trump he's got a serious empathy deficiency and hubris overdose but his actual core values are basically sane. He could conceivably act like a normal human being if broken of his cultural biases and possibly neurochemical issues.

While Pence is actually straight inhuman in his core values and, to ironically take a page from the Bible, "calls evil good and good evil". Say what you want about Trump, I don't think he would think that it's alright to force people to suffer in this life for a reward in the afterlife or to place a dictated morality above observational data.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:34:37 pm by smjjames »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3849 on: March 22, 2017, 10:36:12 pm »

We shouldn't negotiate with terrorists. We will fight Trump, we will bring him down and make him pay for his crimes, and if we can't bring down Pence as a part of that (and it's hard to imagine how Pence could escape the net,) then we will fight him too.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: March 22, 2017, 10:46:48 pm »

We shouldn't negotiate with terrorists. We will fight Trump, we will bring him down and make him pay for his crimes, and if we can't bring down Pence as a part of that (and it's hard to imagine how Pence could escape the net,) then we will fight him too.

What crime could we convict Pence of? Hatred towards gays?

As tongue in cheek as that was, my point is that there isn't anything other than 'guilt by association' that points to any sort of wrongdoing for Pence. Yes, I know, there's all the stuff about gays and general shitteryness, but I mean actual crimes that would prevent Pence from taking over as President.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: March 22, 2017, 11:25:58 pm »

What crime could we convict Pence of? Hatred towards gays?

As tongue in cheek as that was, my point is that there isn't anything other than 'guilt by association' that points to any sort of wrongdoing for Pence. Yes, I know, there's all the stuff about gays and general shitteryness, but I mean actual crimes that would prevent Pence from taking over as President.

Careful, you're going to get a wrongthinker brand and be added to the world's least threatening enemies of the state list soon.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: March 23, 2017, 12:26:17 am »

Hey, it'd be at least a few months before an impeachment even started getting good steam going, probably. Plenty of time for the veep to do something incriminating, and plenty of people to associate with that'd be happy to encourage it and questionably competent enough to not let something slip. Maybe by that point it'll come to light pence moonlights as putin's concubine and has been funneling billions of federal dollars into foreign coffers in exchange for shirtless horse rides along the sea.

And that's assuming there's just not something or another folks just haven't paid attention to. It's rarely a surprise to find a major-ish political figure had been doing criminal shit on the side, and conservative ones are comparatively prone to it in the US.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: March 23, 2017, 12:31:18 am »

It's formulaic with conservative politicians.  What are they especially passionate about persecuting other people for?  That's what they're doing.  Republican is the party of psychological projection.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: March 23, 2017, 04:18:19 am »

Not intending to derail, but this has got to be one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/03/22/trumps-lawyers-go-after-teenager-over-cat-website-that-lets-users-scratch-his-face.html

Why is this funny?

1) The story is from Fox News, and is critical of Trump and or his legal team.
2) Trump's legal team, presumably at the direction of Trump himself, feels it necessary to police his image to such an absurd extent.
3) This is clearly an act of parody, yet this legal team apparently seems ignorant of the protected status of parody.
4) Cats scratching trump on the face.

That is all.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 3567