Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229300 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3825 on: March 22, 2017, 03:09:54 pm »

So today is the first day Trump administration published a list of the immigrant "crimes".

I say "crimes" because, well:
The list consists of 'examples' of illegal immigrants, their nationality and the alleged crime they have either been charged with or convicted of
Guilty until proven innocent!
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: March 22, 2017, 03:13:51 pm »

That's fine, we all know that only citizens have rights. WOULD YOU LIKE TO LEARN MORE?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: March 22, 2017, 04:59:51 pm »

Looks like the partisan rift in the investigation has ripped open into a chasm. Congressman Nunes says that there was survelliance on Donald Trump, but it was all legit, while at the same time, claiming that none of it had to do with Russia.

Meanwhile, his counterpart on the House Intel committee, Rep. Schiff, has expressed alarm over it since it's apparently based on stuff that he hasn't even been made known about, and is expressing grave concerns about it And he's pushing further on an independent investigator.

Is this conspiracy going even deeper or something or what the fuck is going on here?

Vox's writeup on it, apparently the whole thing is somewhat self contradictory and stuff. Also, if Nunes did it to confuse people and for political reasons, it really hurts the credibility of the whole investigation.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:04:39 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: March 22, 2017, 05:09:27 pm »

So he didn't even tell the rest of the committee that he's on?

This is fucking ridiculous.

Or at least not with Schiff and the other Dems, which is what he seems to have said in his own separate press conference.

As bipartisan as it appears to be, looks like there actually are two different 'investigation universes' there.

The whole ongoing scandal seems to be threatening to engulf Congress here, or at least just Nunes. :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:13:33 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: March 22, 2017, 05:15:03 pm »

It COULD also be a case of Nunes being unintentionally confusing, Lawfare's explaination of what the heck Devin Nunes is talking about.

It's especially confusing after he had said that there isn't any wiretapping or whatever. Schiff was also pretty much saying a really long winded version of 'WTF are you talking about? Do you have information I don't have, please clarify.'
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:16:42 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: March 22, 2017, 05:23:24 pm »

Okay, Schiff is saying that there is now "more than circumstantial evidence of Trump-Russia collusion". The whole thing just got muddier because I have no idea if Schiff is swinging at Nunes or if it's an actual development.

Doesn't bode well for credibility, hope they repair it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:27:08 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: March 22, 2017, 05:28:20 pm »

I have no idea what the fuck is going on in the government anymore. I don't even think people in government know what the fuck is going on.

What the fuck.
Quote from: Paul Ryan, Speaker of the House
The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: March 22, 2017, 05:51:44 pm »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: March 22, 2017, 05:54:47 pm »

... damn, I actually read through most of the first transcript in that lawfare article, and I think it presented nunes in even worse a manner than the snippets the earlier articles did. Whole release was studded with weaseling and waffling non-statements like sequins on an elvis impersonator. Someone in that guy's staff maybe needs to keep him away from official statements.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: March 22, 2017, 05:57:13 pm »

No surprise McCain is calling for a select committee or an independent investigator, he's been calling for it for a while.

Meanwhile, whatever the heck is going on with Nunes, he's certainly creating a furor in Congress because at least one Senator said that the Intel chairman likely discussed classified information and the Senate Intel committee (the counterpart to the House one) Senators are trying to find out what the heck is going on. Even Rubio seemed to be like 'Really? Are you pulling my leg here?'

... damn, I actually read through most of the first transcript in that lawfare article, and I think it presented nunes in even worse a manner than the snippets the earlier articles did. Whole release was studded with weaseling and waffling non-statements like sequins on an elvis impersonator. Someone in that guy's staff maybe needs to keep him away from official statements.

The fact that he went and did the press release rather than doing a bipartisan one with Schiff is also problematic in itself.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: March 22, 2017, 06:06:39 pm »

In lighter news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEke_sciQVo

Gorsuch: Nobody knows who John Hancock was, they just remember him because he wrote his name so bigly... big and boldly.

Sasse: You just said bigly... and I just won 5 bucks.

Gorsuch: You just embarrassed me in front of my nephew and he loves it.

Sasse: He's the one paying me the 5 bucks!

Ok, as long as he promises to keep being funny I'm down with Gorsuch+Sasse as the 9th justice and no I don't care that that isn't how it works.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: March 22, 2017, 06:13:10 pm »

Ok, as long as he promises to keep being funny I'm down with Gorsuch+Sasse as the 9th justice and no I don't care that that isn't how it works.

Roberts today.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: March 22, 2017, 07:21:29 pm »

Looks like this is what Rep. Schiff was talking about (and likely what Nunes was attempting to infer to) when he said about "more than circumstantial evidence". The question now of course, is how high up did it go and what did Trump know and when did he know it?

Feels like the whole thing may be speeding up.

Though it'd be a hell of a lot better for credibility and possibly less confusing if they had done a bipartisan press conference.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:24:17 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal trail of hot gunpowder edition
« Reply #3838 on: March 22, 2017, 07:35:11 pm »

We've never even removed a President from office before. Nixon took the fall before it could be decided, which put a kibosh on the whole thing regardless of who was involved.

Were Trump to go down fighting (more likely than most) I'm not sure what the hell would happen, though I can't see any campaign-wide corruption not ending in a purge. Besides, Paul Ryan would love to vote himself in as President, what with the agenda of ecstasy in torn flesh under eternal stars that he laid out.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal trail of hot gunpowder edition
« Reply #3839 on: March 22, 2017, 07:40:50 pm »

He'll just blame it all on Trump.

Source: He's already blaming it on Trump and nothing has even happened yet.

Besides, a Speaker vote would be kind of difficult under those circumstances.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 3567