Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244377 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3105 on: March 05, 2017, 12:09:37 pm »

I think the only thing people know about Nubia is  the word Nubian... which is typically said to mean "Black and beautiful"
i think the only other thing besides Egypt to be mentioned in high school was Mali.

Yeah but the condition was not having to do with the slave trade
Love, scriver~

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: March 05, 2017, 12:19:58 pm »

Oh oh I know!  Didn't south africa invent tetris, and time seeing goggles, talking mice, and flower pickers?

Oh wait, that entire history game was about the slave trade....
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3107 on: March 05, 2017, 01:16:25 pm »

So here's my predicition for the Trump Presidency:

Two terms that will be exactly like last month.

That is to say, a stable majority-disapproval and constant rumbling of conspiracy. A continuous drone of "disturbing revelations that signal the end of the Trump presidency." High-ranking officials being forced to step down, but never the big names. No real change in opinion polls. Continuous rollback of civil rights, and continuous attacks on our environment. A spending spree for the military and tax cuts for the wealthy. Somehow the Republicans will maintain their status as "fiscal conservatives."

The only substantive change will be a war which will not change public opinion but will be used as an excuse for congressional Democrats to avoid pressing the regime.

The midterm elections will be loud, but the democrats will lose ground. As little as they've responded to their Presidential failures, they've done even less to respond to their failures in state governments.

In 2020, Trump will enjoy a very similar win. The Democrats will run Hillary again. She will lose again in much the same way, although she will win the popular vote by a smaller margin. Alternatively, the Democrats will run a dark-haired white male named Paul who has no perceptible personality.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: March 05, 2017, 01:37:00 pm »

When was the last time a president won re-election with majority disapproval? I don't think it's ever happened.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: March 05, 2017, 01:43:36 pm »

Alternatively, the Democrats will run a dark-haired white male named Paul who has no perceptible personality.

Paul 'Muad'Dib' Atreides? heh. Although House Atreides is mythologically of Greek origin, the first Dune book takes place an unknown amount of time in the future, but the Butlerian Jihad (a war against a machine uprising) took place some 10,000 years before that, and the Butlerian Jihad itself is an undetermined amount of time in the future. So, the skin color could be pretty much anything by then, but they're generally assumed to be white.

/end Dune derail

When was the last time a president won re-election with majority disapproval? I don't think it's ever happened.

Are you talking about job approval ratings or votes?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: March 05, 2017, 01:50:47 pm »

Alternatively, the Democrats will run a dark-haired white male named Paul who has no perceptible personality.

Paul 'Muad'Dib' Atreides? heh. Although House Atreides is mythologically of Greek origin, the first Dune book takes place an unknown amount of time in the future, but the Butlerian Jihad (a war against a machine uprising) took place some 10,000 years before that, and the Butlerian Jihad itself is an undetermined amount of time in the future. So, the skin color could be pretty much anything by then, but they're generally assumed to be white.

/end Dune derail

Are you talking about job approval ratings or votes?

Job disapproval specifically. Presidents have won re-election with less than 50% approval (I think...? But it's never much below 50%), but that's not the same thing. (Certainly, checking the graphs here, nobody's pulled off a reelection with majority disapproval since FDR at least.)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: March 05, 2017, 02:00:10 pm »

The names Ben or Joe are also in consideration. Also, my model (a Ouija board with a calculator taped to it) is saying now that the alternative candidate may have white hair instead. Almost certainly, in fact.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: March 05, 2017, 02:07:11 pm »

I don't know of any prominent or semi prominent Democrats with the first name of Paul though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: March 05, 2017, 02:18:48 pm »

I don't know of any prominent or semi prominent Democrats with the first name of Paul though.

That's the point. Frankly, there aren't any prominent or semi-prominent Democrats except for Bernie Sanders and Barack Obama.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: March 05, 2017, 02:27:52 pm »

That's the point. Frankly, there aren't any prominent or semi-prominent Democrats except for Bernie Sanders and Barack Obama.

Theres some others like Elizabeth Warren, various other Senators and Reps. But yeah, the problem is that there isn't any kind of 'bench' of up-and-coming rising stars. Theres a few here and there, but nowhere near the amount that they need.

Given how Obama changed the argument over needing experience, there might be some that come out of the woodwork of state level positions. However, Trump aside (and some of our early Presidents), I don't know of any that came straight from state senate/legislature level positions and skipping the Governor and Congressional positions on the way to the Presidency.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: March 05, 2017, 02:31:19 pm »

You can't predict out that far. Who predicted Barack Obama in 2008 back in 2004?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: March 05, 2017, 02:33:00 pm »

Now that we don't have anot active president to suck the air out of the room, I think we'll see a bunch more Dems becoming increasingly prominent.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: March 05, 2017, 02:33:34 pm »

I just... kind of love how Obama is from Trump's viewpoint.

Like... Obama is seriously WAAAAY more awesome in Trump's mind than he is in real life.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: March 05, 2017, 02:35:30 pm »

If Trump gets two full, otherwise uninterrupted, terms...  How does the next guy follow that?  I mean, apart from with a shovel and a bucket, to benefit the Whitehouse Rose Garden...

Or then there's still the prospect of...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: March 05, 2017, 02:40:13 pm »

You can't predict out that far. Who predicted Barack Obama in 2008 back in 2004?

There could have been a few who saw him as a rising star, but I don't think anybody really predicted him that far out for sure.

If Trump gets two full, otherwise uninterrupted, terms...  How does the next guy follow that?  I mean, apart from with a shovel and a bucket, to benefit the Whitehouse Rose Garden...

Or then there's still the prospect of...

Probably a violent wrenching to the left.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 3569