Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4250956 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2145 on: February 19, 2017, 12:02:40 am »

I meant more like two planes accidentially colliding, something that would be considered a minor incident and a misunderstanding. The usual diplomatic channels that help manage that aren't manned, or aren't functioning well, to my understanding.
We just haven't had any major incidents happen yet, and it's inevitable for one to happen at some point. How many did Obama have? (rhetorical question)

Answering anyway. Obama had his first stand off with China in March of his first year. Bush faced exactly the scenario you mentioned above - two planes collided with 24 US airmen and their plane seized - in April 2001. That one took 11 days to negotiate their return.

EDIT: Fixed link.

Also can't remember if I or anyone else posted this one, but it is a good piece on the incoherence of Trump's foreign policy. I'm going to quote it at length because seeing all the examples listed out that like that really hammers the point home for me;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:10:11 am by palsch »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: February 19, 2017, 12:06:37 am »

Oh yeah, btw, 10 of the people on the panel on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders quit a few days ago due to objections over Trump. Going to see if I can find an article. edit: Link and factual corrections http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/319907-10-resign-from-presidents-advisory-commission-on-asian-americans-and

I meant more like two planes accidentially colliding, something that would be considered a minor incident and a misunderstanding. The usual diplomatic channels that help manage that aren't manned, or aren't functioning well, to my understanding.
We just haven't had any major incidents happen yet, and it's inevitable for one to happen at some point. How many did Obama have? (rhetorical question)

Answering anyway. Obama had his first stand off with China in March of his first year. Bush faced exactly the scenario you mentioned above - two planes collided with 24 US airmen and their plane seized - in April 2001. That one took 11 days to negotiate their return.

The one with Bush is the one I was actually thinking of.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:08:50 am by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: February 19, 2017, 12:14:09 am »

So not only do we have a bad joke president, we're missing very important everythings because he can't be bothered to run things effectively?

Pretty much. Theres loads of positions that he hasn't even picked people for yet.

Perhaps this is his idea of downsizing the government. You just assume everyone is a time-wasting waste of space, then only appoint people to roles on a "as needed" basis. It's a very private industry way of thinking when you take over a business in a merger. Basically he's viewing this like a CEO would who just did a hostile takeover and now he's trying to "trim the fat" on the company he just got control of.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:20:28 am by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: February 19, 2017, 12:19:38 am »

So not only do we have a bad joke president, we're missing very important everythings because he can't be bothered to run things effectively?

Pretty much. Theres loads of positions that he hasn't even picked people for yet.

Perhaps this is his idea of downsizing the government. You just assume everyone is a time-wasting waste of space, then only appoint people to roles on a "as needed" basis. It's a very private industry way of thinking when you take over a business in a merger. Basically he's viewing this like a CEO would who just did a hostile takeover and now he's trying to "trim the fat" on the company he just got control of.
problem is the government works utterly differently then any company.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: February 19, 2017, 12:25:01 am »

... an incredibly incompetent one, maybe. It's pretty rare an incoming CEO will just mass trash the workforce, and rarer a company actually comes out better if they do. Turns out most people worth a paycheck realizes you actually need people that know what the hell's going on to keep everything from burning down. Trimming comes once you make sure everything's working correctly and you know who was doing what and why. Well, actually, you try to do that before you acquire a company like that, really, as much as possible, but whatever.

Still, could be some of where the decision making's coming from, sure. No one that's paid attention has accused trump of being a good businessman.

problem is the government works utterly differently then any company.
Oh, no, no, not any company. Plenty of non-profits work in roughly the same manner, if several orders of magnitude smaller scale, and there's any number of commercial administration members that could make the transition without all that much trouble -- there's lots of business practices that are indeed pretty useful for government work, too. The actual problem is trump's shite at running a company.

E: Really, this is just me going, "Oh hell nah, don't go blaming this shit on business practices" again. The cluster going on here isn't because of business practice, heh. Not good ones, anyway. Not even many bad ones, tbh...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:29:40 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: February 19, 2017, 12:38:38 am »

It's more like 'Trump is running it the way he runs his business' than 'Trump is running it like a business'.

He's also never had to manage anything complex like say, the CEO of GM or Boeing does, which are the closest thing in complexity that companies get to a government. All those golf courses and hotels and such? While the workers may work for him, all he really owns is the real estate lease and title while the golf course or hotel manager is the de facto boss of that place, not Trump.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: February 19, 2017, 12:47:17 am »

From Trump's point of view he might actually believe that 80% of the government are time wasters who "make their own job" so to speak, and this mass-sacking is meant to prove that. Any externalities - i.e. harm to others caused by the collapse of services can be written off now as "fake news". it's basically not much different to corporate PR.

EDIT

And what's with all the Trump rallies? Another one in my news feed today? Trump basically sidesteps normal procedure for press conferences and diseminating the media message, and he also loves to hold cult-of-personality rallies. This is not normal. This amount of rallies is getting close to what a wannabe fascist dictator would hold to build up a core of zealots to overthrow normal society.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:53:33 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: February 19, 2017, 12:51:55 am »

He's doing more 'leaving the political appointee positions unfilled' than a mass sacking. Though he did ask the politically appointed ambassadors and DoS staff to leave on inauguration day, and he has sacked some DoS staff.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: February 19, 2017, 12:54:47 am »

From Trump's point of view he might actually believe that 80% of the government are time wasters who "make their own job" so to speak, and this mass-sacking is meant to prove that. Any externalities - i.e. harm to others caused by the collapse of services can be written off now as "fake news". it's basically not much different to corporate PR.
Eh... maybe, if more caricature than practice. Not much different in the sense of it takes a similar magnitude of screwup to be generating this kind of PR. Even with outward facing stuff, though, if the company's being ran worth a damn -- and not even much of a damn, mind you -- what you see is not what we're seeing, nor anything like it. Just... seriously, don't buy trump & co's bullshit about what's going on and what he's been doing having much at all to do with business. Really just kinda' dunnit. This ain't how you run a business, it's how you run one into the ground.

It's more like 'Trump is running it the way he runs his business' than 'Trump is running it like a business'.
That's about what I've been saying, yes :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: February 19, 2017, 12:59:12 am »

And what's with all the Trump rallies? Another one in my news feed today? Trump basically sidesteps normal procedure for press conferences and diseminating the media message, and he also loves to hold cult-of-personality rallies. This is not normal. This amount of rallies is getting close to what a wannabe fascist dictator would hold to build up a core of zealots to overthrow normal society.

There's only been one in Florida today, and it's first since inauguration. As for your answer to 'all the Trump rallies', he's doing the perma campaign dialed up to 11, one guess to what he's campaigning for.

The perma campaign dialed up to 11 isn't normal either.

Could you link the 'another one in my news feed today'?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:03:04 am by smjjames »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: February 19, 2017, 01:03:57 am »

I'd say he's campaigning because he's better at that than actually dealing with being the president.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: February 19, 2017, 01:04:19 am »

http://www.news.com.au/world/president-trump-told-a-crowd-there-had-been-an-attack-on-sweden-actually-it-was-a-documentary/news-story/22c2657d96f0c1c778b24b8501a377a9

News from the rally now. Trump told the crowd there had just been a terror attack in Sweden. Unfortunately, that's correct - but it was just a TV show.

I'll bet if you try telling any Trumpeteers that it wasn't real, they'll now accuse you of living in a fake news bubble.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:05:56 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: February 19, 2017, 01:14:06 am »

Can't wait for when Trump actually goes to his first multinational meeting :P Pence and McCain went to the one that they just had in Munich. Oughta be !!!FUN!!!.

Also, for someone who bashes the media (including FOX!!) so much for fake news, he certainly seems controlled by it. Only a matter of time before he does something REALLY dumb :P

EDIT: Also, I'm half expecting him to blame the media for the first major crisis that has nothing to do with him, he's already blamed other stuff on the media. I could go further, but I REALLY don't want to taunt murphy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:17:21 am by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: February 19, 2017, 02:18:58 am »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: February 19, 2017, 02:23:31 am »

And democrats are dragging the process out like a bad joke.
How many did Obama have? (rhetorical question)
Hmm. It's hard to count these sorts of things. Some of them never reach the public notice, others seem to be crises but are just overblown. Some things could have been crises under trump that would have been just another day for an Obama whitehouse. Not much has really happened in this administration, that much is for sure. When the shoe will drop, who knows.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 3569