Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244877 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #1845 on: February 14, 2017, 09:48:12 pm »

Remove Maple Syrup!

lol.

Corn grower's association shill detected!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: February 14, 2017, 09:59:12 pm »

okay I'm breaking this chain with news from the north. https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/5u454j/canadian_liberals_move_to_write_off_178_million/

I'm not sure what the story here is meant to be?

If you read the article, every year they have to write off some amount of student debt as uncollectable (usually when the person declares bankruptcy), and recently they've improved efforts to get repayments. The yearly write-off for 2016 of $178 million has in fact nearly been cut in half since 2012, in which the write-off was $312 million.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:03:12 pm by Reelya »

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: February 14, 2017, 10:00:23 pm »

Remove Maple Syrup!

lol.

Corn grower's association shill detected!

Something something Mexican Coca-Cola
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: February 14, 2017, 10:01:06 pm »

okay I'm breaking this chain with news from the north. https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/5u454j/canadian_liberals_move_to_write_off_178_million/
Of this amount, $177 million was to pay off the loans of one student who came to study in the US.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: February 14, 2017, 10:04:26 pm »

Shitposting aside, how the hell does one student rack up that much loan debt?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: February 14, 2017, 10:07:25 pm »

If you read the article,
(There was an article? All I saw was a headline, a (stock?) photo and comments that seemed to have no structure and that I soon gave up on reading through a perception of futility...)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: February 14, 2017, 10:07:40 pm »

living in the dorm.

Holy fuck do they rape you on dormitory fees.

I avoided that like plague, and it pissed my enrollment person off to no end. I chose to drive every day rather than stay in the dorm at the extortionate prices they charged.

Starver:

Redit is a metacommentary site. Click the headline link on the redit page to get to the real article.

or, just click here if you are lazy
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberals-forgive-student-loans-again-1.3982728

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: February 14, 2017, 10:08:25 pm »

The reddit article is a crock of shit, read the original article.

They've actually stepped up hassling people to repay, which mean the write-off was only $178 million this year, and has actually been falling since previous years. Reddit makes it sound like this is a new "no debt for you! yay!" sudden giveaway, which it is not. The yearly write-off is in fact falling due to more money-grabbing actions by the government.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:10:32 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: February 14, 2017, 10:10:08 pm »

Also, it's now coming out that other Trump aides and allies were in contact with senior Russian intel officials. Link to NYT article that broke the story.

Not sure how much of it is entirely new, since there were rumors of it during the campaign, but it seems like the Flynn scandal just might break wide open into a much larger scandal. The article does mention Manafort and Flynn, which are known, but it's trying to say that people other than those two are involved as well.

The reddit article is a crock of shit, read the original article.

They've actually stepped up hassling people to repay, which mean the write-off was only $178 million this year, and has actually been falling since previous years. Reddit makes it sound like this is a new "no debt for you! yay!" sudden giveaway, which it is not.

All I saw was a reddit forum thing and decided not to bother reading it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:12:02 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: February 14, 2017, 10:11:09 pm »

look, NOTHING is more scandalous than the fact that nearly 50% of those who voted this cycle voted for an orange idiot.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: February 14, 2017, 10:13:19 pm »

frankly i was bored and wanted to derail the thread. it worked didn't it?

also did you hear Pewdiepie got ditched over racism? get to keep the derail flowing. distracts from the unending tide of shit.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:15:16 pm by redwallzyl »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: February 14, 2017, 10:15:02 pm »

look, NOTHING is more scandalous than the fact that nearly 50% of those who voted this cycle voted for an orange idiot.

As the saying goes, 'You reap what you sow', they wanted an amateur, they got an amateur. We don't really need to rehash the whole election results though as it won't change anything.

frankly i was bored and wanted to derail the thread. it worked didn't it?

Such is the natural flow of the thread anyway. ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1857 on: February 14, 2017, 10:15:12 pm »

Revisionist history!?
We learned that from you TOO dad!
Not revisionist, shit
The only thing that I can see is revisionist is the idea that there is a difference between trade and military occupation, which in very American fashion stipulates there is nothing exploitative about a particular form of trade which echoes to the sound of freedom missiles. Most of it was just complete shit

Spoiler: tl;dr (click to show/hide)
I can't fucking believe that piece of shit was written by a University ahahaha
And the war of the roses has nothing to do with this lack of effort. But if there is a tl;dr, it is this
"Does it at all sound familiar to have a world power waging wars of domination in the name of FREEDOM?"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: February 14, 2017, 10:19:14 pm »

Starver:

Redit is a metacommentary site. Click the headline link on the redit page to get to the real article.
Note to self: try not to do such damn silly things like linking to places that link to the thing I actually want people to see...

Anyway, looks like I can safely skip it as discussed by people who know much more about it and/or are affected by it, but (after checking that there'd been no edit of the original post between my disappointment and apparent reading by others) I was just confused by what appeared to be a "hey, comment on this headline and photo!" thing.  Gimme usenet metacommentaries, any day... :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: February 14, 2017, 10:22:45 pm »

You know..

Some part of me wants to make epic youtube poop now, featuring Billy Mays' Orange Glow, Donald Trump, and Russian intelligence.

LW:

The wars of the roses mention, as I elaborated to SMJJames, was that it itself is a profound fabrication of what actually transpired. Hell, the House of Tudor did not even use a white rose in its heraldry at the time!
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 3569