Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227577 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #930 on: February 04, 2017, 04:31:15 pm »

Haha, just saw Trump getting called "an elephant in a china shop" on Russian TV.
Heh, that is apparently an expression in a lot of countries. Over here we have nearly the same expression 'als een olifant in the porseleinkast' = 'like an elephant in a porcelain cupboard'

EDIT: So I read in my newspaper that the US ministry of Foreign Affairs has officially withdrawn Trump's immigration decree. People from the 7 countries affected by the ban are welcome again in the US. At least, those with visa.

Inb4 Trump fires half of the Ministry of Foreign affairs, and shoots the other half.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:35:31 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 04, 2017, 04:40:24 pm »

EDIT: So I read in my newspaper that the US ministry of Foreign Affairs has officially withdrawn Trump's immigration decree. People from the 7 countries affected by the ban are welcome again in the US. At least, those with visa.

Inb4 Trump fires half of the Ministry of Foreign affairs, and shoots the other half.

Don't know if your paper mentioned that they're following the order of a Federal judge who temporarily overturned the order, because that's what they're doing, following the law as they should.

Trump is already having the DoJ do an emergency stay on the whole thing and challenge it in court. Though his rhetoric with attacking the judge is a bit concerning as it looks like he might overstep his bounds, or try to, but they're definetly taking the legal route atm.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 04, 2017, 06:08:53 pm »

Haha, just saw Trump getting called "an elephant in a china shop" on Russian TV.
Heh, that is apparently an expression in a lot of countries. Over here we have nearly the same expression 'als een olifant in the porseleinkast' = 'like an elephant in a porcelain cupboard'
Amusingly enough, it's not actually an american expression, exactly. The one we do use is "bull in a china shop". What the rus did there was replace bull with the republican animal symbol... thing. Whatever it's actually called. Which is an elephant. Surprisingly on the ball if it was intentional, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 04, 2017, 06:20:37 pm »

Make elephants are bulls. Bullephants.
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 04, 2017, 06:21:22 pm »

And the Democrats really needed this reset, given the poor state they are in. Sure, the Republicans need a reset of their own, but the Democrats are actually in a worse off position.

There's another trend, in modern times, after two two-term presidents, there's never been another two term president, they've been one term. Or more simply, it's really rare to have three two-term presidents in a row. The last time this ever happened was in the late 19th century.

Of course, 45 isn't exactly a huge number.

I think I read that in a 538 article, I don't remember the source exactly atm.
... What? Clinton then Bush then Obama. Three two-term presidents in a row...?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 04, 2017, 06:27:53 pm »

And the Democrats really needed this reset, given the poor state they are in. Sure, the Republicans need a reset of their own, but the Democrats are actually in a worse off position.

There's another trend, in modern times, after two two-term presidents, there's never been another two term president, they've been one term. Or more simply, it's really rare to have three two-term presidents in a row. The last time this ever happened was in the late 19th century.

Of course, 45 isn't exactly a huge number.

I think I read that in a 538 article, I don't remember the source exactly atm.

DERRRRPPP.

How did I miss that. Not sure what I was remembering there anyway, might have been something relating to 'presidents of the same party'.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 04, 2017, 06:32:12 pm »

Amusingly enough, it's not actually an american expression, exactly. The one we do use is "bull in a china shop". What the rus did there was replace bull with the republican animal symbol... thing. Whatever it's actually called. Which is an elephant. Surprisingly on the ball if it was intentional, heh.
Nah, it's just how that expression sounds in Russian language. I don't think many people here know or care that Republican symbol is an elephant.
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 04, 2017, 06:53:06 pm »

DERRRRPPP.

How did I miss that. Not sure what I was remembering there anyway, might have been something relating to 'presidents of the same party'.

No, you only slightly misremembered. What the story is, is that three two-term presidents had never happened since the election of 1820. Basically the last time we had three two-termers in a row was when the literal Founding Fathers of the Republic were running for office. So it happened once, but the people involved all had the glow from winning the War of Independence. Perhaps the current spate of three-two-termers came about for similar reasons, winning the cold war.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 06:55:34 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 04, 2017, 07:04:21 pm »

I meant that I wasn't sure what I was remembering from the article, or what article I was remembering. Pretty sure it wasn't what you're saying, but yeah, maybe that's the reason for the current spate of two termers. That'll be something for historians to figure out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 04, 2017, 07:22:04 pm »

Perhaps the current spate of three-two-termers came about for similar reasons, winning the cold war.
That would, uh. Be pretty doubtful. Clinton was maybe the closest to really having much to do with the cold war just by being the succeeding president after the SU split, or bush junior by connection to bush senior, but... it'd be a stretch. Their elections and reelections all had more to do with stuff that was only tangentially (at most) connected to the CW.

E: ... also, pretty different sorts of conflict, too. We didn't so much win the cold war as the soviets lost it. Buncha' other stuff related to that. Other than the mentalities inculcated during the period, I'd be pretty surprised if any particularly direct connections to that period of time really had that much influence on the last few elections.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:25:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 04, 2017, 10:41:54 pm »

Well I think we know what was responsible for those three getting two terms: the first black president, the first president to accidentally be around when my birthday became more infamous than it was, and the first president born in Kenya.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 04, 2017, 10:49:09 pm »

when my birthday became more infamous than it was,

Ouch, that sucks man.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 04, 2017, 10:52:53 pm »

Wonder how long it'll take people to realize that Clinton being the "first black president" wasn't a complement.
I liked Clinton, he was skeezy yeah, but damn the man was charming, but most of it was a joke.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 04, 2017, 10:56:27 pm »

Wonder how long it'll take people to realize that Clinton being the "first black president" wasn't a complement.
I liked Clinton, he was skeezy yeah, but damn the man was charming, but most of it was a joke.

I thought he was called an honorary black president because he played a saxophone? Though honestly I don't really know why he is called that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 04, 2017, 11:02:48 pm »

While the original speaker may not have meant it as such, it is hard to deny that Clinton made a strong connection with black Americans that previous Presidents didn't. After 16 years, and with it not even being him, Hillary had the perception of automatic control over black people Borg-style. Even if that didn't end up being true in the election (which is not that surprising), the perception was there for a reason.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 3566