Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3211 3212 [3213] 3214 3215 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244871 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48180 on: April 23, 2022, 05:29:39 am »

No matter which side loses, we win.  Yes.

The House of Mouse has been needing to get condemned for a very very long time.  Maybe we will stop getting "mickey mouse protection act" reruns, and sensible copyrights might start to come back into vogue.

(I can dream, right? I'd settle for mickey just ending up in public domain like he SHOULD have over 20 years ago. A lasting row between Disney and the GOP, could just be the souring event needed to have the legislature just decide "no, not giving it to you this time".)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 05:31:42 am by wierd »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48181 on: April 23, 2022, 06:19:24 am »

Florida Mice.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48182 on: April 23, 2022, 07:04:51 am »

Miami Mice?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48183 on: April 23, 2022, 07:10:42 am »

Last week my liberal mom shared Disney's strongly worded press release.  She considered it, uh, really good news that would make me happy.  I felt the need to acknowledge their "soft power" or whatever, while also communicating that I wasn't too excited about empty statements of support (though they technically have a positive normalization effect, in other words:  It's better than nothing I guess).

Shitposting the government is *my* job, Disney, and it ain't praxis.

So I'm glad to hear they took actual action as well, even if it's belatedly reducing harm.  It's Disney, I don't expect anything more than token support.

Which makes it all the more hilarious (if tragic) that Florida reacted in this way.  Absolutely bonkers.  Don't these goons know that you're supposed to exchange empty rhetoric while maintaining the status quo?  Why would they sabotage the local economy over such a token bit of rainbow capitalism?  Literal death-cult behavior, yet again, and naturally it's the people who are going to suffer for their representatives' petty crusade.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 07:42:51 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48184 on: April 23, 2022, 07:32:28 am »

Does anyone have a simple summary of what the actual consequences are for Disney and Florida as a whole if this goes through?  I read that there are existing laws that may make it easy for Disney to fight this, and saw something about Florida tax payers being on the hook for $1 billion as a result, but I'm not really sure I follow how or why.
The $1 billion dollar thing specifically is the tax district in question's bonds, from what I understand. If the district dissolves, those get passed on to the state, so... florida taxpayers ultimately end up with the bill. Dissolving the district like a dumbshite instead of rearranging things more gracefully also means the 100 million-ish annual tax revenue it's currently generating on top of its other tax obligations just goes poof, with whatever it was paying for getting dumped on some part of the state gov't, most likely the (heavily democratic) local districts.

For all disney's kind of an asshole overall, make no mistake, this is pretty certain to end up shitting on a lot of people that's not them (and especially not their decision makers)... which, y'know, GOP being GOP is probably part of the point, the hateful shitsacks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48185 on: April 23, 2022, 12:11:30 pm »

Well, shit
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48186 on: April 23, 2022, 01:33:06 pm »

Disney's special district is required to have higher standards than state minimum (similar situation to Cal-OSHA), and saves the taxpayers of those twomFlorida counties billions every year. Besides major issues like some buikdings in the park being *on the county line* and thus a major headache if the district is dissolved, they've used the district to almost completely offset the park's environmental impact.

No matter what you think of Disney the corporation, this "fuck Disney" law is very bad for everybody, and benefits nobody.

Disney has two very solid avenues to get rid of the problem. Most easily, state law prohibits dissolution of a district without majority vote of the taxpayers in the relevant counties, which DeSantis does jot and will not have.

Alternatively, "we're passing a law to explicitly fuck you over for political speech we don't like" is a pretty blatant 1A violation, so Disney's got a really solid case in Federal court.

Which is likely to be DeSantis's real motivation - give him a court defeat that he can point to and rant about "activist courts)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48187 on: April 23, 2022, 02:07:54 pm »

He's gonna have a lot to rant about.

First the Don't Say Gay Bill.

Then trying to vanish Disney.

And now for your political consumption.....the WOKE Act.

https://time.com/6168753/florida-stop-woke-law/

He's gonna be in Federal Court until he dies of old age.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48188 on: April 24, 2022, 06:47:02 am »

Yeah the stuff from Florida is excruciatingly petty.  There is a way you can have a reasoned dialog about things like CRT, such as acknowledging the existence of systemic issues but questioning the idea of blaming current generations for past generations' behaviors.  That is, at what point does the systemic issue become "the responsibility" of the current generation?

It's also symptomatic of the way people increasingly respond to political issues emotionally instead of rationally.

But no, instead of a reasoned dialog we get "well we're in power because of the way our elections work with small majorities and because we get a huge emotional response and dopamine hit from that response, we'll just take the extreme stance and say 'we don't like being accused of stuff, so we'll try to limit any discussions of accusations at all!' ".
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48189 on: April 24, 2022, 12:32:04 pm »

It should be interesting to see if the Florida far-right militia groups start taking extra money for "extra jobs".
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48190 on: April 24, 2022, 10:16:04 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48191 on: April 26, 2022, 11:04:34 am »

Two can play at this fucking game Florida:

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2022/04/complaint-filed-florida-ban-bible-woke/

It literally meets all their stupid definitions of bannable materials.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48192 on: April 26, 2022, 11:20:02 am »

That's pretty hilarious, but I have my doubts it'll result in the Bible being banned or any laws being changed.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48193 on: April 26, 2022, 11:38:28 am »

I don't find that funny at all. The fact that they won't apply these standards to the bible objectively requires ruptured throaths from all the bibles that were tried to be stuffed in there.
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48194 on: April 26, 2022, 11:50:40 am »

It certainly won't result in banning the Bible, but it's still useful (theoretically).  It's the same idea as the infamous Baphomet statue that was submitted to that courthouse which insisted on displaying the Ten Commandments:  It shows how absurd a law (or in this case, a legislative body) is in practice.

I guess you're right that little will come of it, though.  This isn't about a silly law having absurd consequences, it's literally just Christian Nationalism taken to its logical and inevitable next step.  They know what they're doing is hateful (AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL), but it's okay because they think (erroneously) that their hate is Biblically justified.

They're also astoundingly un-American-Dream, almost like they only ever wielded a fake version of America to serve their bigoted purposes...  I hate being so cynical, but it's hard to imagine that these "American" ideals were ever real.  I shudder to think about what their faith, their meditations with God, must be like.

Whenever I talked about organized Christianity terrifying me, this is literally what I was afraid of.  I was right.  All good Christians need to be loudly fighting against this sort of thing or, I'm sorry, be associated with it.  (This is true of any group or movement - I'm certainly aware of toxic/hateful leftists and atheists, and I spend a lot of my effort going after *them* instead of fascists and religious people.  But we don't have rogue US states setting up guillotines or banning the very mention of religion).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 3211 3212 [3213] 3214 3215 ... 3569