Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3213 3214 [3215] 3216 3217 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244666 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48210 on: May 03, 2022, 06:27:44 am »

While I'm no fan of abortion, the way the current political tides are going is not how I'd address the problem. I'd rather set up and promote alternatives.  That is, just make it an unattractive option, not an illegal option.

And definitely don't go so far as these laws that reward people for turning others in for any "illegal behavior."  That sort of incentive is the worst sort of thing you can have in a society.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #48211 on: May 03, 2022, 06:55:09 am »

While I'm no fan of abortion, the way the current political tides are going is not how I'd address the problem. I'd rather set up and promote alternatives.  That is, just make it an unattractive option, not an illegal option.

And definitely don't go so far as these laws that reward people for turning others in for any "illegal behavior."  That sort of incentive is the worst sort of thing you can have in a society.
This.

As for the latter, I'd turn a burglar, a mugger, a murderer in in a heartbeat without any rewards needed. All actual rewards (for anything other than the worst and most high-profile of crimes) do is encourage framing people for crimes.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48212 on: May 03, 2022, 07:11:05 am »

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

Looks like Roe vs Wade is dead
Well that would certainly be one way of solving the bounty hunter debate. "Abortion Bounty Hunters, A-OK; 2A Bounty Hunters, Not OK."

I still believe there exists a constitutional right to (government-)assisted abortion of life-threatening pregnancies under the due process clause, regardless of other unenumerated rights.

Even if unenumerated rights enjoy the same protection enumerated rights enjoy, they certainly do not enjoy the benefit of an enumerated definition. As such, SCOTUS could rule that a right to bodily autonomy does not extend past your own body and thus you have no constitutional right to an assisted abortion (but you can perform one on yourself). Similarly, the right to privacy can be ruled to be merely a restriction on the government's investigatory power. They can't barge into your house, or start searching your reproductive organs, but they can probably still have undercover agents inside abortion clinics, or run sting operations against or inside abortion clinics.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48213 on: May 03, 2022, 08:25:04 am »

Apparently the two homosexuality-related bills were not properly legislated in the first place and that is why they are getting overturned.

Which is still an issue because unless a replacement bill is made immediately after, states could still attack LGBT people. But I at least understand the Justice's point now. I doubt Roberts would like to see his political reputation destroyed.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48214 on: May 03, 2022, 08:53:22 am »

This decision would only affect Roe, and would not affect any other case, even if those are mentioned.

Equalky important, even if we assume this is genuine it is a documemt that is already two months old.

The way this generally works is that the Justices take a preliminary vote after arguments are over. Thismvote is little more than "which side do we favor,

After this is done, the most senior member of the "winning" side is assigned to write the majority opinion. They determine the wording, exact precedents cited, etc. This is the dpcument that has been leaked.

This is then circulated among the other 8 Justices. If enough of them sign on with it, it becomes the majority opinion, and the writing of dissents can begin. Otherwise, a round of wrangling and rewrites proceeds until a majority consensus is reached, and then the final decision is circulated and writing of dissents can begin. It is very common for this final decision to bear little similarity to the initial draft.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48215 on: May 03, 2022, 09:59:30 am »

Except 5 of 9 justices are already wildly in support of it, because they're hacks. Roberts is the only sway vote.

The language may be less stupid in the final decision, but I'm not holding out that anything is going to be different. Conservatives have demonstrated they're immune to things like public opinion, fairness, decency or fair play.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48216 on: May 03, 2022, 10:11:53 am »

If there is enough public backlash, one of them probably will reconsider. And given what I have heard, and the general popularity of abortion rights in America...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48217 on: May 03, 2022, 10:36:08 am »

Why would they? They don't get elected by the public. Their positions are for life, or until they step down. And the ones in favor of canning the old decision are the types that would cheerfully vote their own way even if 99% of the population disagreed with them.

Anyway, which civil right do you all bet will be targeted next? My personal guess is gay marriage, considering some of the cases referenced in the majority opinion.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48218 on: May 03, 2022, 10:41:45 am »

That only matters if the personal judicial opinion is not oblivious to the merit of the public opinion on abortion-rights[1] and too tightly focussed on what is more "good for the people, even if they don't know it" in their own opinion (or of those they feel indebted to promote policy for).

How much is actual quid-pro-quo, or even personally biased, in kind of way kind of way, I don't know. Charitably, there's perhaps a big chunk of heartfelt internal philosophy piped through the legal experience to at least look for a broadly neutral foundation to avoid trivially-blatant irrationalness in making judgement. But whichever side 'loses' is always going to suspect motives, thinking that everyone involved is either nobbled or directly in the pocket of their ideological opponents.

[1] And, of course, there's a lot of very vocal crowd of public opinion on abortion-wrongs doing its best to shape legislation (or lack of it, where it would make it prescribable rather than entirely proscribable).

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48219 on: May 03, 2022, 10:42:38 am »

Yeah there is no political pressure because I’m pretty sure to remove a Justice without them being dead or resigning you need a senate supermajority, of which you are vanishingly unlikely to ever see.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48220 on: May 03, 2022, 11:14:15 am »

Anyway, which civil right do you all bet will be targeted next? My personal guess is gay marriage, considering some of the cases referenced in the majority opinion.
Overturning Obergefell v. Hodges seems likely, yeah. Many of the current sitting judges criticized it for creating rights out of thin air. That's the problem Lochner v. New York created with the substantive due process doctrine. It leads to rulings that do not follow from the axioms of the Constitution.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48221 on: May 03, 2022, 12:16:37 pm »

Political pressure could get them to back off, but it would need to be massive political pressure from the republican side including like 20 senators. Which uh... doesn't have the slightest chance in hell of happening.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48222 on: May 03, 2022, 12:32:47 pm »

A lot of Republicans have signaled a willingness to help LGB people if they unite in throwing trans people under the bus, so there's that, I suppose.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48223 on: May 03, 2022, 12:41:54 pm »

Progress, aaaaaayyyyyyy?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #48224 on: May 03, 2022, 12:46:09 pm »

A lot of Republicans have signaled a willingness to help LGB people if they unite in throwing trans people under the bus, so there's that, I suppose.
Oh the fool to trust a republican
Pages: 1 ... 3213 3214 [3215] 3216 3217 ... 3569