Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: All fisherdwarf colony?  (Read 5483 times)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: All fisherdwarf colony?
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2008, 12:27:33 pm »

As far as I can tell, the ocean never runs out of fish. Inland fishing forts would be a real challenge of rationing, though, probably...
Yeah, I have yet to see an area recover from being fished out.  In my current fort, I've removed every single fishing zone and don't plan to put up more for at least five years, just to see if it can be brought back...but I somehow doubt it'll work :(
Have you tried making 1 tile artificial pools?  It works for me, anyway.  Go crazy!  Have two z-levels dedicated to fishing!  As long as the ponds are disconnected, fishing out one shouldn't effect the neighbors.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2008, 12:54:24 pm »

I haven't tried 1-level artificial pools, but as far as I can tell, fishing out one pond does indeed fish out the rest.

When the season starts, zones along any of the ponds on the map will have "fishing (X)".  Then one of my fisherdwarves will try to use the fishing zone, and the instant the job finishes, I get "there is nothing to catch in the (direction) swamps", my fisherdwarf will be empty-handed, and every single one of those zones will suddenly say "fishing (0)".  Even when I tried laying a fishing zone on a pond my dwarves haven't been within five screens of, and that said start-of-the-season fisherdwarf didn't touch, the same thing happens to its info.

I saw on some post or another (I don't really recall where...maybe on the wiki discussion page) somebody thinking it might be biome-wide.  That is, if a pond in Biome F1 on the map is fished out, then all the ponds in Biome F1 will be fished out (and the same for F2 emptying the rest of F2, etc.).  That would explain everything registering as empty at the same time, but doesn't really help when my weaponsmith starts screaming for the shells that I ran out of seven years ago*.

*I'd still have a couple dozen shell left if not for the fact that I didn't realize that shells in an outdoor refuse stockpile disappear with the automatic seasonal cleanup.  I almost reported it as a bug that my shells that were safely in a stockpile, unused, and even forbidden were somehow vanishing into thin air.  But hey, you live and learn, and losing is fun!  Also, shooting berserk children to death is good practice for marksdwarves 8)

Addendum: And before somebody mentions it, none of the caravans offer anything with shells.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2008, 06:27:25 pm »

My fort's exports are mostly based around the fish, in fact. I have two legendary bone carvers making bone crafts out of fish bones and oyster shells, which I trade to the dwarves for booze.

I see you modded oysters and mussels to have shells. Now if only vanilla DF would have that.
I actually mod the raws a lot to suit my purposes  ;D I'm really fond of the simplicity of modding DF...I tweaked megabeasts so they were quite a bit tougher (or, well, bigger, and with fire-breathing hydras) and to allow bone plate mail...it's still 50% effective but I see it as kind of 'samurai' style armor which allows my sparring wrestlers to get some Armor User skill before they hit the front.

Adding shells to oysters is a simple matter of sticking [HASSHELL] under the 'Oyster' section of raw\objects\creature_small_ocean I believe.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 06:32:48 pm »

I haven't tried 1-level artificial pools, but as far as I can tell, fishing out one pond does indeed fish out the rest.

Hm. I've seen my indoor ponds spontaneously generate fish IIRC.

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2008, 06:39:56 pm »

Hm. I've seen my indoor ponds spontaneously generate fish IIRC.

Its a miracle! Praise be to Armok!
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

AmberMac

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2008, 07:06:05 pm »

Dang, Your still bumping my ollld post... Scary o.O Anyway, My colony is running fine.
"As soon as life start, It ends, there is no meaning, But to live your years, Turn into mulch for the next generation."

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 01:07:45 am »

Dang, Your still bumping my ollld post... Scary o.O Anyway, My colony is running fine.

This is DF, its never about you...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 02:11:55 am »

fish should return seasonally, unless your biome doesn't actually support the fish

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 01:01:22 pm »

fish should return seasonally, unless your biome doesn't actually support the fish
And therein lies the problem.  Because they don't return.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]