Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: All fisherdwarf colony?  (Read 5486 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: All fisherdwarf colony?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 10:11:06 am »

An interesting thing I noticed recently: I had nothing but plump helmets growing for 5 years straight and never made any other booze, and when I checked some of my dwarf's thoughts they had 'He is tired of the same old booze'. Never seen that before.

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 10:30:05 am »

I'm thinking of doing a variant of a fishing community on my next run. Just spent six weeks in a fishing village in Ecuador, and I never got an unhappy thought about eating too much Ceviche. As for food, don't discount it! I always build up my cooking skills and produce some killer prepared meals. Dwarves can lose their lovers and not care as long as they've got a good meal in their belly. Plus they create a food surplus that can always be traded for decent value early on (before goblins provide you with stacks and stacks of narrow gear).
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 10:43:24 am »

An interesting thing I noticed recently: I had nothing but plump helmets growing for 5 years straight and never made any other booze, and when I checked some of my dwarf's thoughts they had 'He is tired of the same old booze'. Never seen that before.
That was added a few releases ago.  Using the same food source for long periods now gives dwarfs unhappy thoughts.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 08:30:05 pm »

Do you think it would be possible to survive with only 4 fisherdwarfs, And 2 fish disecters/fish cleaners? Im hoping to try this out, Because my last fortress fell to fire imps..  :( *Kinda nooby don'tcha think?* But im afraid to run outa booze, And not have enough to feed the incoming immigrants, X.x I usualy only take around 300-400 booze every time i embark, And i usually lose around 120+ a year. So whats a good setup for a fishing colony? (Im going to embark at a brook/waterfall site with plenty of sand to make an aboveground greenhouse type thing) But i don't know where im going to find a place with lava.. And everything i need.. In a small-pocket sized map. (MY comp runs extra slow on medium to standard maps)

booze is overrated. I almost never have any booze and I'm 14 years in on my fort with 190 dwarves. The key is to keep them happy with other stuff like a statue garden and engrave as many meeting halls and dwellings as you can. Also, make sure you have several water sources around, just run irrigation with tunnels and floodgates or doors to create a drinking room on each level (then throw in some statues and engravings, they gets happy thoughts like crazy making up for the fact that they're drinking the wretched h20

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 10:51:40 pm »

That was added a few releases ago.  Using the same food source for long periods now gives dwarfs unhappy thoughts.

My injured starting carpenter got this thought...

In year 1, an Alligator charged angrily into the fortress. He brought it down with his pick and his "high master" mining skills.

For the 2 years it took him to recover, the dwarfs would ONLY feed him Turtles. I had an EXTENSIVE farming/cooking/milling/processing setup (I had named the fort "Cookedmeats the Galley"), and all they'd give him were turtles.

Fortunately his happiness remained above neutral, and he finally recovered.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 12:04:01 am »

I'm thinking of doing a variant of a fishing community on my next run. Just spent six weeks in a fishing village in Ecuador, and I never got an unhappy thought about eating too much Ceviche.

I am jealous. One of my co-workers is from Ecuador and spends 90% of the time talking about how amazing the food (fruit in particular) there is. Dragon fruit spilling out over wagons! Cherimoya! Granadillas! Pineapple! Mango! Naranjillas!

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 09:27:40 am »

I have a fortress on a glacier in the coast of an arctic ocean so all the food in my fortress is fish. I set up a screw pump to pump seawater into an iron tank so it became freshwater (desalination ftw!).

My fort's exports are mostly based around the fish, in fact. I have two legendary bone carvers making bone crafts out of fish bones and oyster shells, which I trade to the dwarves for booze.

As far as I can tell, the ocean never runs out of fish. Inland fishing forts would be a real challenge of rationing, though, probably...

dabbling noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 01:03:45 am »

my current fortress is in a completely flat swamp map. i have 4 herbalists that keep my population of 78 dwarves completely fed and intoxicated. i'd never had a legendary herbalist till this game but it works pretty well. i imagine as my population grows i'll have to start farming though. fishing is a no-go until i finish clearing the carp out.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 01:22:28 am »

As far as I can tell, the ocean never runs out of fish. Inland fishing forts would be a real challenge of rationing, though, probably...
Yeah, I have yet to see an area recover from being fished out.  In my current fort, I've removed every single fishing zone and don't plan to put up more for at least five years, just to see if it can be brought back...but I somehow doubt it'll work :(
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 01:33:50 am »

My fort's exports are mostly based around the fish, in fact. I have two legendary bone carvers making bone crafts out of fish bones and oyster shells, which I trade to the dwarves for booze.

I see you modded oysters and mussels to have shells. Now if only vanilla DF would have that.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 10:20:53 am »

Right now I'm trying a no farm no stone fortress.
Everything I can make out of wood or glass I make out of wood or glass.
I picked an area with lots of trees and good soil.
Seems I can in fact gather enough plants to keep my fortress in booze and meat is no problem now that my puppy farm is up and running.

iskurthi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 10:37:00 am »

Yeah, I have yet to see an area recover from being fished out.  In my current fort, I've removed every single fishing zone and don't plan to put up more for at least five years, just to see if it can be brought back...but I somehow doubt it'll work :(

I've had a single fisherdwarf completely exhaust outdoor ponds and a cave river while nobody was looking. What's really annoying is when you can still see the little 'cave fish' vermin symbols in the cave river. It's like - they're right there! Just reach in and take a few!

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2008, 11:31:01 am »

Don't forget turtle shells.<P>A fishing fortress... Nice idea.
I'll name it Innsmouth.

It's Beginning To Look a Lot Like Fish-men

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2008, 11:43:42 am »

Innsmouth does not feature any animals. The villagers cannot keep animals around.
And neither do they have hordes of mushrooms in stocks... not even the unnatural ones growing on the piers...
You can actually name your fortress "Innsmouth" in the game...

Bonus points for building wood-only cottages and trapping outsiders in an "inn" located in the town.

And don't forget about tanners (if you watched Dagon)! I'm so gonna make it.

I will start with 3 fisherdwarves. And I will find a god of seas/oceans. Later when my fort will be running I will sacrifice to sea everyone who isn't following this god.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:45:13 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2008, 12:20:11 pm »

I recommend considering a fort next to a major river.  My current fort, "Legendford," is mostly built into a bridge crossing a major river.  The two-level aquifer was a bitch, but even with a dozen dwarves fishing off my pier, I don't think the fish will ever run out.  I even get bi-yearly salmon runs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4