Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: All fisherdwarf colony?  (Read 5488 times)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All fisherdwarf colony?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 03:35:00 am »

I think the true challenge in a setting like that would be sustainability. You have to find the sweet spot where all your dwarves are well fed and the environment can handle the abuse.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 05:23:31 pm »

Or you could start sacrificing people to the deep ones when the food supply runs out.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 01:40:32 am »

Geeze, I couldn't imagine trying to keep stock, process the fish and all that.  I thought farming berries was tough.  I jumped on the plump helmet train and never looked back.  I have too much fun building my forts to have to worry about food.  I normally start off by digging a small area 1 level below ground that has my farms, seed plots, huge food plot and a 10x10 farm area (because shift + arrow = 10 ;D)  I build a dining area and get to building my elaborate creations.  Besides.  I'm always too worried about making enough rooms for 200 dwarfs!  My latest attempt uses the entire base of my pyramid for rooms and it only holds 165 (because I made the hallways 3 wide and there's a magma pipe in the middle of it all).
 (http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pyramidundergroundod7.png if your interested ;))
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 02:56:14 am »

You CAN run a fishing only colony.

Trade for your booze. Your dwarves might have to last the first year boozeless (they won't die, just work slowly), but if you request booze from both the humans and the dwarves and if really needed, elves, you can last a damn long time.

Heck, if you request only booze from one of the two main traders, you should get more than you can handle.

Booze is also sufficiently cheap and you can easily buy it out with fish bone craft, fish meals, and whatever else you can scrounge up.

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 06:06:36 pm »

You can actually name your fortress "Innsmouth" in the game...

Bonus points for building wood-only cottages and trapping outsiders in an "inn" located in the town.
Karpatius cancels Eat: thirsty.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius has died of thirst.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 06:42:49 pm »

Farming is an almost automated process that can give you a ton of food.

Only grow plump helmets. Be sure to set the preferences to only brew the god-plant (press z). Then  brew,brew, brew! You will never run out of seeds cause brewing creates seeds and alcohol. If you run out of meals, you can cook the alcohol. It loops itself. If you have enough barrels (or a dedicated carpenter with repeating barrel enabled) all the work you would need to do is to cut down trees for barrels.

Another food supply you could relay on later are cattle. They are packed with meat, bones and hides. Every fortress I make now has a cattle farm. You pick up at least 2 cows from the embark screen. I usually put them in a cage and put the cage in a lockable room. Then set the cows free and watch them reproduce. I have over 200 cows in just 2 years. They serve as a pretty good emergency food, taking very little time to kill and serve.

My current fortress is sustained by fishing right now. The immigrant fishers just constantly fish and fish and fish. They then clean the fish. My 100 dwarf fort has 4 fishers and the food stays around 300 all the time. I haven't cooked a single unit of alcohol yet. I have over 6,000 plump helmets.        Its the year 1056
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 01:57:17 pm »

Innsmouth does not feature any animals. The villagers cannot keep animals around.
And neither do they have hordes of mushrooms in stocks... not even the unnatural ones growing on the piers...

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 02:34:45 pm »

... Occasionally I struggle with finding enough barrels to hold the liquor, but that can be solved by limiting the number of barrels allowed in your food stockpile, leaving more open for dwarven hooch.
... O_O now why didnd i think of that...
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 08:06:13 pm »

Without farming you're not going to have enough food or booze.

Lies. All you need to do is be dependent on the caravans.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 04:41:05 am »

Skilled fisherdwarves are actually pretty fast, and a couple can feed a fortress of dozens.  The reason I wouldn't rely on it is that overfishing can deplete the stock (the game will tell you "There are no more fish in the central swamp"), and I'm not sure how fast they repopulate.<P>And, yeah, you can't brew fish.<P>Feeding your dwarves uncooked fish gets you a few extra bones for training crossbow bolts though, which is always nice.

Fish liquor.
Urk. It's nasty just to imagine the taste.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 10:57:41 am »

Hey Urist, I found a way to get booze!

OMFG GIVE
*slurrrp* ... you bastard, this tastes of turtle!

Yeah, it's Turtle Wine!

... turtle yesterday, turtle today, and blimey if it don't look like turtle again tomorrer ... *slurrrp*

EDIT: Brewing fish would leave you with bone and shell. I like this idea. You could eat turtle stew out of a turtle shell while wearing your turtle shell armor, and drink turtle wine out of a second, slightly different turtle shell.

We would need to mod shell as a material that could be used for constructions and furniture.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:59:12 am by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 06:07:14 am »

Fish-scale-wine... the smell must be incredible... Let's just hope the dwarves have a sieve of some sort available... Scales are bad enough in food.

I wonder if coffee wine ( if the game featured coffee beans ) would give a temporary job speed boost at the expense of quality ( caffeine shakes ) or something...

Also, salt from drying up saltwater at an ashery/kitchen could be considered a non-edible cooking ingre... hold on... Salted meat and pickles...
Could this be a minimod...?
I wonder if Toady would hardcode salt causing thirst "injuries"?

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 03:03:40 am »

R'lyeh arise!

dabbling noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2008, 03:26:46 am »

Without farming you're not going to have enough food or booze.

Lies. All you need to do is be dependent on the caravans.

yeah that's all well and good till they show up during a seige and get wiped out

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 07:28:56 am »

yeah that's all well and good till they show up during a seige and get wiped out
[/quote]

Which is part of the challenge, making it alot more fun then easy farming. Now you have a reason to break sieges and care if your traders get slaughtered!

besides you can easily stockpile enough food to last a few years if you full order it from both humans and dwarves.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4