Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77219 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2017, 05:32:50 am »

All this talk of resurrection has got me pondering my choice of playing engineheart. I mean sure, I've got a fairly healthy endure stat already and a bit of body should something get through, so I probably won't die all that fast.

But I do have a tendency to somehow get into these situations where even a high leveled character with decent stats won't help me *coughnukedoorcough*, which worries me a bit.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:39:33 am by Pancaek »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2017, 05:53:20 am »

All this talk of resurrection has got me pondering my choice of playing engineheart. I mean sure, I've got a fairly healthy endure stat already and a bit of body should something get through, so I probably won't die all that fast.

But I do have a tendency to somehow get into these situations where even a high leveled character with decent stats won't help me *coughnukedoorcough*, which worries me a bit.
Could always switch to civvie with +10 endurance (or another class of course). Lose the transcend resistance, gain chance for resurrection/incarnation after death.

Or check if perhaps other methods exist/could be made to revive you, like a memory bank back-up unit or something.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2017, 05:59:27 am »

Could always switch to civvie with +10 endurance (or another class of course). Lose the transcend resistance, gain chance for resurrection/incarnation after death.

Or check if perhaps other methods exist/could be made to revive you, like a memory bank back-up unit or something.
I'm just going to roll with it, because surely a situation like my personal 'nam from ER won't show up a second time. Right?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2017, 06:00:50 am »

I'm just going to roll with it, because surely a situation like my personal 'nam from ER won't show up a second time. Right?
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure it won't be nukes this time...

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2017, 06:01:54 am »

Not really on topic, but if when people die, they go to the deep sea, and when people are in the deep sea, monsters come, we can expect monsters to show at death like flies to a corpse, right? Sounds awesome if you ask me.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2017, 08:01:26 am »

So, I have two questions:
Can we avoid the high risk of death from Giant’s/Titan’s/Behemoth’s Engine installations by installing one of them into a body and then being resurrected or otherwise transferred into it?
Can I gather knowledge to make a reference guide? (+x bonus to find rolls made searching for information in the archive)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2017, 10:23:13 am »

So, I have two questions:
Can we avoid the high risk of death from Giant’s/Titan’s/Behemoth’s Engine installations by installing one of them into a body and then being resurrected or otherwise transferred into it?

I don't know the answer to this, but that seems like a plan to avoid death that requires dying.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2017, 10:34:54 am »

As far as the other ideas related to resurrection, I think it's fair to change it to be similar to what dev was talking about.  I'm gonna modify it tomorrow.

What?  But Dev came up with the worst version!  He specifically designed it to punish gameplay he personally dislike, namely specialized people and people with high transcendence!  Dev is tantamount to a troll right now.

I still think it would be best if you A: could not replace the Body stat by resurrection (because that makes starting Body very nearly worthless), and B: lose only Body and Mind upon resurrection, because that is less crippling and matches the backstory of Roa Deathless.  Also, making the gradual mind damage permanent is downright cruel, without actually fixing the overpowered nature of anything--the people who stay dead for ten hours aren't the ones who need a nerf, it's the people who get rezzed within an hour that do.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2017, 10:37:07 am »

Given that a part of you extends "downwards" into the deep sea, that means that even sea creatures can mess with you while you're not diving, right? Kinda like bad spirits.
The fact that you have to disconnect from your body to go to level 6 seems to imply to me that humans are 6 levels deep. (Body on level 0, mind extends from levels 1 through 5.)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2017, 10:48:33 am »

As far as the other ideas related to resurrection, I think it's fair to change it to be similar to what dev was talking about.  I'm gonna modify it tomorrow.

What?  But Dev came up with the worst version!  He specifically designed it to punish gameplay he personally dislike, namely specialized people and people with high transcendence!  Dev is tantamount to a troll right now.

I'm assuming that it won't be transcendance, but instead be a random stat.  I wanted transcendance because I thought that would be the prerequisite for resurrection, and wanted to make subsequent resurrections harder.  As for the other cost, I thought it would be basically base cost + level adjustment.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2017, 11:00:57 am »

I still think it would be best if you A: could not replace the Body stat by resurrection (because that makes starting Body very nearly worthless), and B: lose only Body and Mind upon resurrection, because that is less crippling and matches the backstory of Roa Deathless.  Also, making the gradual mind damage permanent is downright cruel, without actually fixing the overpowered nature of anything--the people who stay dead for ten hours aren't the ones who need a nerf, it's the people who get rezzed within an hour that do.

A) It makes sense that the new body would have stats derived from the success of building/repairing the body. In my view, the starting body just keeps us alive until we can get a better one.
B) Resurrection is done by other people. Incarnation is all you. I do have a suggestion for how to nerf incarnation:
1. Actions affecting at least 3 levels away from you in the deep sea always attract monsters.
2. Whenever you take mind damage, every ability you have leveled above (60 - [damage x 10]) generates a roll with (damage x 10) difficulty to avoid losing (damage) ability points. (Those equations are guesswork. I have no idea what kind of damage we would be taking, these equations assume low damage numbers.)

Or something like that. That helps prevent quick self-resurrections. It doesn't affect resurrections that much if we do resurrection with more than one person.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2017, 12:04:42 pm »

Maybe we should take a step back and first try to clearly state what the perceived problems exactly are before we propose solutions.

Personally, I do think that we should try to ensure that certain stats (mostly body) don't become almost useless (or at least inferior to the other stats), which I think would happen if bodystat was purely an attribute of the body you inhabit, and making new bodies is pretty easy.

Difficult resurrection could help with this, but I don't think that'd cut it (and is easy to deal with through some cooperation I suspect). Maybe limit perks from bodies to non-stat things.

Prevent death becoming too cheap. I think eating some permanent stat and/or attribute loss on death would be reasonable, though how much and from what stats I'm not sure. Maybe just deduct some points from a random (non-zero?) stat, and increase the amount you loose per death.

Making incarnation difficult, but keeping assisted resurrection doable.
Maybe just add a flat number to the requirements to make it difficult enough without harming normal rezzing.

Oh, and the starting classes imbalance. Already talked about that though, might just be me.

Anyways, just some stream of thought, most of this is probably useless/repeat of things already said.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:07:09 pm by Radio Controlled »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2017, 12:09:13 pm »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2017, 12:14:46 pm »

One thing that makes body be a bit better than you said is that, with very low bodystat, any damage you do suffer isn't just gonna kill you, but also destroy the body, making rezzing potentially more difficult (though easy assembly of new bodies mitigates this). Maybe there should be a penalty to rezzing/incarnating if it's not into your previous body.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2017, 12:21:16 pm »

@Radio
Yeah, starting classes are extremely unbalanced.  I've just been trying to ignore it, lest I go off like I've been doing with resurrection/incarnation.  Plus there's tons of other little things I'm tempted to go off about

Your recap of flaws is pretty much my understanding, yeah.  To state my ideal system:
  • You cannot inhabit a new body with Body greater than your original Body.  If you try, the new body's Body is lowered to match.
  • On every revival, you permanently lose some number of Body and Mind points, probably a fairly low number.  For the purposes of the prior point, permanent Body losses are considered to subtract from your original Body.
  • Incarnation, while not being significantly more difficult if you have the stats (no Deep Sea level 6 needed), drains more points than normal resurrection.
  • There are no penalties based upon how long you wait, or to any skills.

A penalty for rezzing into a new body could be good, but it would have to be extremely harsh to balance replacing body.  If I lose ten mind points, but saved fifteen by simply not spending any on Body, well, I still came out ahead.  Maybe incarnation into your own (original) body could be quite easy, so that it's accessible to people without specialized incarnation builds, but with the penalty that you obviously need to have high starting Body for it to survive.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 51