Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to Become a Hero: See, bees are trained to fly haphazardly  (Read 27777 times)

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero the Rebecoming
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2017, 07:26:26 am »

WAITLIST GOD DAMN IT I NEVER EVEN KNEW THIS WAS BACK!
I got stuck with the same thing and I had just joined when the old one died
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero the Rebecoming
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2017, 11:10:38 pm »

Right, now that that is taken care of, research the last spell in my book about wild magic and then hand it off to Beirus. If that succeeds, see if I can sum up my experience with researching magic into a 'how to study' book.

You spend a short while studying the remainder of the book on Wilder magic and quickly manage to learn the final spell, something called Berserk which seems to send the target into a rage fueled stupor. From what you understand using it will increase the targets strength for a period, but their capacity for thought outside of engaging in all-out combat is greatly reduced. Finally finished with the book you hand it over to Jase after figuring out he is in need of a book before secluding yourself in your room as you contemplate writing a book about the ins and outs of magic research. After maybe twenty minutes of hitting dead ends in your thoughts you've come to conclude you'd need to study at least one more magical tome to write a book of any value.

As you stand up to leave your room you collapse to the floor as pain starts to flood your senses caused by a sudden force that slams into your body to enter your arm directly. An eternity seems to pass before you look down and notice that a strange tattoo has appeared on your arm as from the elbow down chains are now inscribed there with the back of your hand hosting an ornate tomb locked, and bound by those same chains. Before you can question what's happening a voice resounds in your head,

"No magic is evil, the wielders are evil. However, necromancy holds the power to corrupt the user and lead them to a path that is against my plans. This mark you now bear will help you resist the forces that would normally corrupt other necromancers, but it also holds the power to restrain you. Consider your future actions well young Necromancer, I would quite like to see the Necromancy of old to return to the world again."

With that the power leaves you and you collapse again, gasping for air as you try to recover from the intrusion of this foreign power.

Gained the Mark of the Forbidden Tome

Go get the book from Chronus if he's done with it and sacrifice it. Then go see if one of the pious trainers can explain to me how divine energy flows through people and objects. If Chronus isn't done with the book, just keep training. See if that knight guy could give me some pointers.
With the book in hand you head back to the shrine and quickly advance to the statue before placing the book at its feet. Moments after you place it down the statue is one again shrouded in blue light and, much to your own surprise, the statue reaches down to pick the book up from the ground. As its hand touches the book the magical tome turns into a blur of blue light that quickly flows into the being before you, a feat that causes the statue to frown slightly before turning to look directly at you.

"You've done well in bringing this to me, it is one of the most basic of magical tomes, but the speed with which you completed the task and this second matter you have brought to my attention is worth a reward in itself. I have marked the one you obtained this book from and similarly marked you, from this day forth I assign you a task to watch over this Chronus carefully. If he stands on the side of Eldast and humanity then guard him, guide him, and ensure he can grow to be a pillar of support against demonkind... However, if you deem him a threat to the kingdom, remove him.

Go forth Acolyte, serve me well."

With that the light on the statue fades and you suddenly feel a searing pain spread across the back of your hands causing you to collapse to the ground as you try to cover your hands hoping for the pain to subside. You're not sure how much time passes, but finally the pain ends and you look down to notice that on the back of your hands the images of two ornate books have appeared there with their pages blank.

Gained the God of Magic's Favor in the form the Mark of the Twin Grimories, and a Favor pool of 8. You have gained the class Acolyte of the God of Magic.

"I'm interested in the second option. Let's see what you've got."

Pay 24 gold for quick healing. If I've still got bones after that, ask if she's got anything to sell.

Also toss smith exactly 10 gold.

You hand over twenty-four gold to the old woman which she quickly takes before banging her cane against the floor a few times, something you find odd until a clear bottle with some mottled gray liquid floats over to you. You brace yourself before taking the vial and downing the liquid in one go which causes you to feel like you were suddenly dumped in a pool of ice water followed by the vague sensation of your ribs moving back into place. Shortly after that stops you suddenly start coughing and manage to hack up a splatter of black blood across the lab's rather nice marble floor. Much to your amazement you feel you've made a full recovery almost though your side still feels quite stiff as you move about a bit trying to get used to your current mildly impaired state.

Noticing your reaction, the old woman smiles and waves her cane over the blood causing it to burn to nothing as she says to you,

"Its not fully healed, you'll feel a bit off for about a day or two, but your current condition should be vastly better. Treatments from now on won't be so cheap, so please be prepared for a somewhat steeper price next time. Now, if you'll excuse me I have some experiments to tend to."

With that you're rushed out of the lab and left to your own devices.

Collect the ten coins, and then Buy a torch for 30 coins and flint and steel for 20 coins  and then I'm ready to go.

my vote is for the slime caverns.
After collecting some cash from Elizabeth you head to the store and quickly purchase a torch, and lighting tool to ensure you have a light source on your next mission.

"Hmmm, fanks pal. I'll sit onnit." Stevi replied, making a gesture roughly like he was sitting on something. Maybe farting on it too. The amount of stuff he could buy with the remaining money made his head spin, so he decided to search for something he could do without expending money: carve a fine instrument!

I'll decide on final purchases next turn. For now, search for a suitable branch and carve the holiest goat-instructing music instrument known to man: the goat herder's nose flute.
You set about crafting the one true instrument capable of aiding you, your grand familiars, and your allies in the days to head only to find a rather great flaw in your plan after bashing a large stick with a rock for a while. It's actually quite hard to carve a nose flute when you lack a sharp object to carve it with...

Spoiler: Chronus, Dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stevi, Caellath (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Asa Giles, Coolrune206 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Elizabeth, Egan_BW (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:20:10 pm by adwarf »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2017, 11:46:52 pm »

"Fucking... damnit Jase. I know you did this. Augh, stings like hell. Hold it together Chronus. You made it through the holiday fuckfest, you can get through this. Slimes. Focus on... slimes. Where is everyone?"

Go to the exit. If the event doesn't start, hide somewhere and see if I can conceptualize a spell to let me share my servents senses.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:07:39 am by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2017, 12:13:29 am »

Find somewhere to hide while my ribs unfuck themselves.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2017, 01:17:55 am »

((Thanks again, Derm. Sorry about the binding thing if it inconveniences you. Although bringing back necromancy could be your Great Act. So I do have that pale short sword, right adwarf? Kinda need it for my action.))

Jase stands slowly, still studying the marks on his hands for a few moments. "I will do my best until my last breath." Jase responds, bowing before the statue and placing a fist over his heart, then straightening up and exiting the shrine. Watch Chronus? What the fuck did he get himself into? Jase thinks to himself as he wanders the fort, looking for Chronus. Once he manages to find him, he speaks. "Chronus. I believe we need to have a chat."

Find Chronus to have a discussion. Go train some more on that full power strike.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:04:59 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2017, 01:37:38 am »

"Fuck yeah we do. I give you a magic book and next thing I know some jackass is invading my headspace and burns the living hell out of my arm! The hell is up with that?" *Chronus throws up his arms* "I don't even know anyone with telepathy!"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:43:10 am by Dermonster »
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2017, 02:27:35 am »

"It wasn't some jackass, it was the God of Magic. You seems to have caught his interest, and he tasked me to watch over you as long as you stand on the side of Eldast and humanity. How did you draw his attention, Chronus? What did he say to you?"

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2017, 06:16:02 am »

Asa was beginning to regret the ridiculous consumption of alcohol he had partaken in. Unconsciously, that is. He didn't much have the capacity for conscious thought.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2017, 12:59:03 pm »

"It wasn't some jackass, it was the God of Magic. You seems to have caught his interest, and he tasked me to watch over you as long as you stand on the side of Eldast and humanity. How did you draw his attention, Chronus? What did he say to you?"

"God of ma- the god gf magic himself was in my damn head. Fantastic. Well, I should be asking you the same question. I just finished studying that book and was trying to devise a method of faster studying when suddenly he's yammering in my head about how I'm going against his plans. And I'm guessing he knew about me because I gave you the book. Ugh. Gods. Whatever. Where are the newbies? We're taking them to hunt slimes, right?"

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2017, 02:03:46 pm »

"He made it clear that the book wasn't the reason he marked you, Chronus. I could ask him what it is,  but your secrecy probably wouldn't win you any points with him. Normally I wouldn't invade your privacy like this, but he also made it clear that whatever you've gotten into could make you very dangerous to the kingdom and our race if it goes wrong."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:06:07 pm by Beirus »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2017, 02:27:57 pm »

Chronus sighs, and glances around for any eavesdroppers.

"... okay, so do you remember our first mission? We met that skeleton dude? I also... sorta... found a book."

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2017, 02:33:25 pm »

Jase looks around as well to make sure they are not overheard. "What sort of book?"

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2017, 02:39:14 pm »

"The kind that would allow me to make gravekeepers rather upset."

*Chronus rubs his temples*

"Honestly it's not even that big of a deal. I'm not going around and conducting experiments on... iunno, orphans and babies or whatever. it's just a tool."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:41:04 pm by Dermonster »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2017, 02:49:19 pm »

Stevi didn't get how his flawless technique wasn't working. Well, actually he did but it wasn't like was anyone reasonable selling carving knives around. Maybe he should try his teeth next time. "Ah, fuggit."

Purchase an Oaken Round Shield and Leather Vest for 105 gold, then train the goats as soon as they arrive.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2017, 03:16:45 pm »

Jase seems visibly relieved after hearing Chronus. "Oh, that kind of book. Shit, I was really worried for a bit there. Thought it was the sort of edlritch shenanigans that would turn you into a demon spawn or something. Your secret is safe with me, Chronus. If you ever want to talk about that stuff, let me know. I'm sure that skeleton guy didn't have a friend to keep him sane. And if you do ever want to get rid of that book, I'm sure the god of magic would love to add it to his collection. Or eat it or something. I'm not really sure what he does with the books. You could probably write a better one once you get some more experience." Jase stretches his arms before continuing. "I suppose it is about time to round up the newbies, though. I kind of wish they wanted to kill the rats. Blood is easy to clean off my gear. I don't even know what slime will do to it."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18