Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189059 times)

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2016, 05:33:42 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:27:32 pm by mikefictiti0us »

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2016, 05:50:59 pm »

What's the difference between becoming a vassal and being conquered? Is it effectively the same or just having to pay money/be diplomatically aligned with your liege?

Being forced into becoming a vassal seems relatively rough. You have to pay up to a 10% daily tax to your suzerain (the Lord who you serve) and they can control your military for one 24-hour period per week. You can only get out of vassalage by either getting the suzerain to agree to it or by subjugating/occupying them yourself (which seems like it would be quite hard to do in almost all cases.)

It pales in comparison to being conquered though (which will rarely occur if you're active), which essentially means your entire family has been wiped out and someone else now controls your domain. 

I'm pretty sure that as soon as one of your characters dies you can create another one right away. According to the help they can't really steal your domain unless you don't have your heir claim it in time. Although they can force it to become their vassal.

I can't tell if a domain controlled by your heir is more vulnerable than a domain controlled by you. If you die then an heir can immediately take your place (what happens if they control three domains already?). If your heir dies then their domain is leader-less at least for that brief moment, right? I'm looking at what this Calhoun guy did. He murdered the leaders of three domains on Dec 10-11 and then put them all into vassalage in an eight-minute period on Dec 15. I guess it does seem likely there was a waiting period there because why else would he have waited.

If there isn't a waiting period then hiding your heir (domain leader) is a deterrent since the only way to force vassalage would be for the attacker to occupy your square and wait until your happiness goes negative. Tying one's troops up in a foreign capitol is less appealing than just slicing the leader's head off.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2016, 06:27:49 pm »

I went ahead and setup my second character to the NE of Tor Flunk.

Daggerstop.

This might be because I have spied a lord character moving closer to my first domain and I am not sure what is up with that yet, so coming over to join the other bay12ers!

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2016, 06:57:10 pm »

Could somebody take a quick look at my domain? I'm at 01681W:22624N. I'm just starting out but I feel like I chose a rather bad location, could somebody give me some quick input? It doesn't have to be a lot but I don't want to waste a lot of time in a location where I cant get anything meaningful done.

If its not too good, I'll probably end up joining you guys, seems like it could be fun!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:59:25 pm by Carcanken »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2016, 07:07:41 pm »

That's a incredibly unfortunate location. There's really just nothing there, lol.

Try to look for a place that has wood and stone minimum. Metal is incredibly important as well, as producing your own tools and nails will save you a fortune.

At the very least you need some source of production income, but seeing as how its cold as heck, theres no way you could farm there.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2016, 07:10:08 pm »

Could somebody take a quick look at my domain? I'm at 01681W:22624N. I'm just starting out but I feel like I chose a rather bad location, could somebody give me some quick input? It doesn't have to be a lot but I don't want to waste a lot of time in a location where I cant get anything meaningful done.

If its not too good, I'll probably end up joining you guys, seems like it could be fun!

Yeah, that starting area looks quite bad to me. The value I see in plains is that you can start a large-scale farming setup on it. But it's too cold where you are for farming this time of year. And farming from the get-go isn't a good idea anyway. What you really want starting out is some sort of reliable natural resource that you can focus on early and sell for a steady income stream (or else be in the south and do vegetable gardens?). You might get lucky and be able to pick hazels off those hazel trees but that will require expansion and I'm not even sure you can access them without building a bridge over that stream.

And I didn't look all over but having just a natural limey deposit right there seems like a piss poor trade-off for being in the north. IMO I wouldn't settle for less than a place that has lots of trees and some sort of natural mid-tier material (like clay or tin minimum?) that you can start selling immediately. And even that would be a sub-par start if it's not also on Tetra (I assume Tetra is the best place to start) and has a good situation in terms of not being crowded or hostile.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:20:28 pm by Datgum »

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2016, 07:35:31 pm »

That's a incredibly unfortunate location. There's really just nothing there, lol.
Try to look for a place that has wood and stone minimum. Metal is incredibly important as well, as producing your own tools and nails will save you a fortune.

At the very least you need some source of production income, but seeing as how its cold as heck, theres no way you could farm there.

Yeah, that starting area looks quite bad to me. The value I see in plains is that you can start a large-scale farming setup on it. But it's too cold where you are for farming this time of year. And farming from the get-go isn't a good idea anyway. What you really want starting out is some sort of reliable natural resource that you can focus on early and sell for a steady income stream (or else be in the south and do vegetable gardens?). You might get lucky and be able to pick hazels off those hazel trees but that will require expansion and I'm not even sure you can access them without building a bridge over that stream.

And I didn't look all over but having just a natural limey deposit right there seems like a piss poor trade-off for being in the north. IMO I wouldn't settle for less than a place that has lots of trees and some sort of natural mid-tier material (like clay or tin minimum?) that you can start selling immediately. And even that would be a sub-par start if it's not also on Tetra (I assume Tetra is the best place to start) and has a good situation in terms of not being crowded or hostile.

Thanks! I wasn't sure how much territory I would get at first.. and the tutorial kept telling me to choose an area with a lot of open space.. so that kind of resulted in the space I chose. I think I might try restarting near the bay 12 community if there's any decent land left. So far this game seems very intriguing and I can see myself playing it a bit.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2016, 07:41:23 pm »

At about what level of cash in every settler's pocket should I aim for so they can be happy? Happiness is going into the hard reds but I'm using most of my funds on tools to train specialized workers for a more stable income.

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2016, 07:52:24 pm »

At about what level of cash in every settler's pocket should I aim for so they can be happy? Happiness is going into the hard reds but I'm using most of my funds on tools to train specialized workers for a more stable income.

I had 40 in everyone's pocket yesterday and ended the day with 28% happiness. I'm thinking they need like 300-400 to be guaranteed very happy.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2016, 08:02:36 pm »

130-300 is more than enough for mine to stay over 80.  Only reason they aren't happier is because there just isn't enough high quality goods out there yet.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2016, 08:18:38 pm »

These peasants should really lower their expectations! They should be happy they're not being eaten by wolves. Instead they get unhappy they don' have a feast of sausages, fruits and other things :P

Friend Computer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2016, 09:52:06 pm »

These peasants should really lower their expectations! They should be happy they're not being eaten by wolves. Instead they get unhappy they don' have a feast of sausages, fruits and other things :P

Filthy capitalist peasants with their consumerism, in mother Armokia, peasants happy to eat wolves.

But yeah, on a serious note, getting some extra luxury goods seems to really help with happiness as well. One easily found resource for this is well water, which you can also use to water gardens, make pottery etc.
Hey Bay12ers, we have a Land of Lords Discord chat, come on in and visit today! https://discord.gg/53f3mEX

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2016, 10:05:41 pm »

Ah, you beat me to posting the thread. :)

Ello folks! I play https://www.landsoflords.com/arm/house/AuruIn, primarily Lady https://www.landsoflords.com/arm/lord/LysandraBrandrAuruIn.

I kind of sort of accidentally set off this mad B12 LoL rush, and am very glad to see more and more taking interest!

I just got back online after a week without internet, so pardon me if I'm lagging behind a bit. :)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2016, 12:22:25 am »

So, thinking myself smart, I built a road over to the small lake that borders my territory. "I'll get me some fish," I think, "I mean, what could possibly be difficult? Probably just need to build a dock or something."

Nope, turns out that fishing requires full-out fishing boats, which require large amounts of all kinds of expensive materials, not to mention an engineer to build the damn thing.

At least roads don't cost me anything but some time to make.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2016, 12:42:23 am »

Food isn't really an immediate priority luckily--and anything maritime is very expensive.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 161