Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184956 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #3120 on: July 30, 2019, 03:27:55 am »

well, then, we could carry the wounded survivor back.  We'll be in a position to do something if necessary, and if not necessary, we won't be slowed down much.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: July 31, 2019, 05:29:25 pm »

It's a conundrum, to say the least. You consider your options. You could carry her yourself, while you remain in front of the group to keep watch with your soulsight. However, that would risk the whole group if she were to transform. She could hop off your back and potentially infect more people. Even without the transformation, there's still a risk of her bleeding. You don't know exactly how infectious this whole thing is, but fluids are certainly a big no-no. So, you want her at the back of the line, preferably with some distance. Of course, leaving her alone at a distance is a sure-fire way to have her die if the slightest thing goes wrong. You consider leaving Yunikki with her, but she's the only one that can interrupt any trouble going on in the middle of the group, as you and Francine are too large to quickly get past everybody, and Sucy's weapons tend to have an area of effect. That wouldn't really work out either. So, you eventually elect to make the survivor walk a small distance away with Francine by her side to keep her safe. After a little coercion, she even got a ride from the nervous scientist. You REALLY made your point when you let Alexia
When you
She seems to have figured out that she should be nicer to folks. You had a good talk. She seems a tad nervous, but you're sure she'll calm down over time, right? She just needs to get used to trusting people more. At least you can convince her to do things.

The rest of the travel goes easy enough. Your soulsight helps a lot, though you wish you still had your scout. Just as you were getting close to the hide-out, however, a group of Beaks turns the corner. Something in their gait looks strange. They're confident, not even searching. They knew you were coming from before, and some of them look more armoured up. The one at the front of the group has a metal covering over his beak, even. Where did it get that?
Hm. One moment.
Sucy digs through her pack and pulls out two bottles. The first one she throws underhand, in a weak arc. The birds seem to find it unimpressive as well, as they bat it aside without it breaking.
The second one strikes the leader dead in the face with enough force to outright break it. Whether the previous sentence refers to the leader's face or the potion bottle is up for the reader's interpretation;
Oh hey, a sling!
As you look over to Sucy, you notice that she's holding her ears shut. You quick do the same, just in time for an ear-rwrenching explosion of noise. When you look at the birds, you see a massive amount of electricity zapping its way through the crowd, roasting them alive! That's some serious god-damn power! In no time at all, the way has been cleared.
We should move, the noise will bring more.
Is that what you're going to throw at Jack?
Partially. I'm not taking any chances with that thing, but I do have leftovers. The sling was with the help of Yunikki, while you were reading.
What was the first bottle you threw?
Something that explodes about 30 minutes from now. So keep the group moving.

You reach the hideout after shanking one unfortunate lizard that was sleeping close to the entrance. You bring everybody inside and tell them to meet up with the survivors in the back. As for the wounded survivor...
She hasn't turned yet, if nothing else. But she's sweaty, trembling. Clearly infected. Regardless, she isn't going mad, and you can't bring yourself to mercy kill her now. While the survivors remain far away in the tunnels, you keep the infected survivor in the little laboratory. She's still standing, but she's clearly feverish. Her eyes, however, have already turned into an unnatural icy blue. They are not human eyes, to say the least.
I... I feel it coming. Like my skin is rebelling.
I'm sorry.
I... I don't want to die. Please. Let me lose my mind, first. I don't want to be aware. D-do you understand?
I'll do this outside. The guard tower, if we can make that.
...I don't want to hurt anybody.
Hop on, I'll make it quick.

You did as you said. Morning is coming as you head for the tower. There were no enemies on your path, at least none that couldn't be evaded. You used the rooftops, after all. Once you arrive at the tower, you grab a new weapon to kill her with when... When the time comes. You can't kill an innocent woman, but a Beak? No problem. They're long gone, after all.
The both of you remain quiet as the transformation starts. Despite the horrific noises, however, the woman finds it within herself to speak as her bones snap and her skin breaks open to allow for feathers. You elect not to look to closely. As long as she talks, she remains alive.
T-the strangest... Strangest thing... This doesn't hurt. *crr* It... My breath falls away, b-but... It feels.. It feels almost n-normal.
Crick and cracks fill  the room, making your skin crawl. A series of pops really get to you, in this context. Still, she keeps talking.
My name is M-Miriam. I am an ap-apprentice to lord Nerevar. I am an Elemental wizard, I c-cast... Cast lightnin *krr*
Choking sounds. Her voice had already taken on a more croak-like quality, like one would expect from the bird. The transformation must be nearly complete. You turn to look, as see that a beak is pushing past her face. You raise the spear already, though...
The bandit lost his mind far earlier. You furrow your brow, and elect to wait just a little bit. Miriam twitches a few more times, but...
I.. It's over? she says, quite shocked. She looks herself over, looking at her "hands" (wings) and her claws in place of feet. She looks smaller, though the covering of thick black feathers add a lot. Her face carries a lot of humanity on it, due to the smaller beak and how her eyes remained closer together. Less like a bird, more like a human. Her clothing is mostly in tatters, however, leaving only a cloak on her back.
Does the dementia come later?
You speak for the first time to her. You elected to stay quiet, to avoid gathering attachment, but this is kind of unique!
The last time, the guy was insane before he even transformed. You, uh... You look just about done, but you're still talking.
I... I don't know how that's possible. H-hold on.
With a quick flick of her finger, a small arc of electricity shoots between her feathers. Kept her magic, too?

Remain here, experiment
This could be a trick. Some smarter breed trying to trick people. Best to see if this is all true. Also, you'll probably socialize with her. Why not?

Leave her here, go get a second opinion.
The tower is pretty secure, for the most part. You can ask what Sucy/Francine have to think about this.

Bring her back to the hideout
This is clearly something big. Best to just bring her with you so it can researched properly.

Kill her anyway.
Not taking any chances.

Other.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: July 31, 2019, 05:40:07 pm »

Remain here, experiment

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: July 31, 2019, 07:39:55 pm »

Remain here, experiment
+1. Bringing her back runs the risk of her tricking us, or going crazy and getting us both zapped and swarmed. And if we leave her, well, she knows where the hideout is. Best not to let her out of sight for now.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: July 31, 2019, 09:04:04 pm »

Stay here.

Wonder how she managed that. Maybe focusing on her own identity during the transformation, but you'd think lots of people would do that. Could be a random semi-immunity, but that would be a big coincidence. Could have something to do with being a caster, but again then you'd think it would happen more often.
Of course, maybe it is common, but they all get killed by other mutants...

My obligatory crazy theory: it's because of Forceful Purification.
Ooh, or maybe Francine gave her something without telling us.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:11:54 pm by Egan_BW »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: August 02, 2019, 04:58:47 pm »

Listen very carefully. I cannot trust you. I simply can't. Even if you are what you appear to be, you are bound to be infectious.
I... Of course. yes. She seems a bit out of it. She was already babbling a bit when she was transforming, but she's still in shock. You've seen it happen before, at this point. The full reality hasn't really struck her yet. It's strange how human her face remained, all things considered. Most of the little twitches and frowns are still recognizable.
I'll run a few experiments first. So, going over it again: who are you?
I am Miriam Porrim. I am an apprentice to lord Nerevar.
How old are you?
I will be 19 next month.
That's very young, you note to yourself. Though you're only half a decade older yourself.
Who is this master Nerevar?
A merchant lord, and capable magister. Due to my higher birth, he teaches me instead of the Tower mages. Mostly for the purpose of connections between the houses of Nerevar and Yalinda.
Yalinda? You said your name was Porrim.
We are a vassal family, and the women take the names of their mothers in these lands. Only when the child proves themselves, are they allowed to take the father's name. My apprenticeship would have been my Mammiliara, the proof of worthiness. I... I think I have failed, with this appearance.
What is this lord Nerevar like?
Aloof, but not unkind. He preferred me as a master of trade over magic, and only after handling the firesalt sales would he show me more in regards of magic. I.. I made a pretty penny through the smith and the market, but then the plague hit... Our bodyguards were transformed before our eyes, and my lightning could do little to stop so many... The smith's immunity is the only reason we yet lived.
Her eyes are starting to water, and her breath is speeding up. It's starting to hit her what just happened.
O-oh gods, I... I must have failed my apprenticeship. How will father respect me as a bird? I can't... I can't attract a suitor now, no no no no.... Oh, Oh no...
Focus. You place your hand on her shoulder, and she flinches. Doesn't pull away, however.
Let's keep talking. Your magic, how is your magic?
T-the childhood rearers said I had the power, but lacked talent. N-nothing I couldn't work away through work, but... who would teach a freak?
She's actually crying now. She's a quiet cryer, holding in sobs and only breathing out more than usual. It's clear she's utterly crushed, however, she's shaking like a leaf. You... You're feeling really bad for her.
It'll be all right.
She suddenly turns around and hooks her wings around you, before burying her head in your shoulder. And there's the ugly-crying. She's wailing into your shoulder, and you're left with no choice but to just pat her on the back and let her finish.
You're really sure that this isn't a trick, at least. And she can give detailed accounts of her history, for now. You wish you could confirm it, but she wouldn't try to sell herself as a second rate noblewoman. The standing is too high for a good liar, too low for a bad liar. So she's either an excellent liar from a collection of monsters that usually can barely speak. You don't know how long you stand there, comforting the infected woman. You admit that all you can give her is platitudes, but it seems to help after a while. Eventually, she thanks you, and tries to sit down. It takes her a bit to figure out the new legs, but she manages. Mostly a case of finding her feet.

Well... You're a harpy, right? Can you fly?
I am not a... I'm not a monster! I'm Miriam, please, please just call me Miriam! She sounds desperate and is close to shaking. At least she isn't crying any more. Likely just... ran out of tears. You've been there.
Have you?
Yeah, you did.
I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Raising your hands in surrender. Still, you want to know: Miriam. Can you fly?
I... I don't know. Not in here, and... I need some time.
Getting used to all this?
Miriam just nods, before wiping off her face with a wing again. Well, that's that. You're not sure what else you can do to experiment, right now. You could bring her back, or leave her here, for now. You can barricade the tower to keep her safe. Even without the demon arm, you can still push and pull really heavy stuff! Just have to put your shoulder into it.

Remain here for a while, make sure she gets her bearings.
You might cause your friends (and children) to worry, but you're sure they won't do anything rash.

Leave with Miriam
Your eggheads should take a look at this.

Leave Miriam behind for now
You think the tower will be safe. You can tell the rest what happened and return, or stay there and let her rest here for today. It's been a long night, after all.

Kill Miriam.
You can't do that!

Other

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: August 02, 2019, 05:12:05 pm »

Leave with Miriam

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: August 02, 2019, 05:16:39 pm »

Reassure her that we can help her and everything will be all right, tell her a bit about us

Say to her that she is more than her curse, we might find a cure, and with her we might find a antidote, and people would surely love to help the human that made the curse fail, say that we one day got infected by the crimson curse and returned if she doubt about the cure, in worst case scenario, we could help her to find and contact people that would understand her and help her get greatness

barricade a bit and leave  miriam behind, we should first prepare somewhere safe in our safe-house so she can't infect others
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: August 02, 2019, 05:19:26 pm »

Barricade the tower, making extra sure that nothing can get in. Or out, for that matter. Actually, ask Miriam if she'll be okay on her own. We can stay a while if it'll help. For all we know, it'll get worse if she's freaking out, so it'll be worth making sure that doesn't happen. But if she can be alone for a while, leave her here and head back to the hideout. The mad scientists should check her out, but we shouldn't risk bringing Miriam back to the other survivors. Even if she's not hostile, infection can happen. Anyway, we can bring Susy and Francine back to the tower.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: August 05, 2019, 01:32:15 pm »

I don't trust this fully, and it's a bad sign.  It might be magic.. maybe Mantorok's juiced up the curse enough to infect magic-using humans too, now, or perhaps this is a deliberate attempt to create an infiltrator.. sure it's still 'her', but that's very much a 'for now' situation.

Still, not going to kill someone based on something that flimsy.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: August 05, 2019, 05:18:31 pm »

Barricading the tower was easy, considering it was made to be defensible. There's only one easy way in or out, and it leads out to the top of the wall of the city. While Miriam may be able to fly, you hope you can trust her to not try it for a little while longer. Considering her mood, you doubt she'll be willing to try for quite a while. At least, you hope, long enough for you to get back with the science crew. This has to be studied. Who knows, maybe this could be a step towards a cure? One can only hope. You place a bin of weapons close to the front door, and tell her to place the beam down to bar the door once you leave. You'll knock four times when it's you, so she isn't tricked or something. You hope she can move the heavy box filled with yet more spears, but pushing shouldn't be an issue. She's still getting used to having no real hands. Her wings are sort of useable in grabbing things, though, but as it stands it's like losing all your fingers. Her feet (talons, more like) are far more dextrous, but it takes some getting used to right now. If she could fly it'd probably be easier to go about it, but she has yet to try that out. Nor does she feel up to it.
You leave her be after some final encouragement, and she seemed able to keep on going. You promise you'll be right back with Sucy and Francine.
The walk back to the tower was unevent-
no it wasn't oh shit!

You barely dodge a divebomb from a harpy, and all at once several birds turn a corner, screeching in their usual manner. they run beakfirst, their powerful legs springing them forwards as their wings almost grant lift. You're surrounded by a dozen birds! You unsheathe your scimitar and start running up a wall, trying to get distance, but the harpy is quick to  heckle you. It floats close to you, and attempts to slash at you with its butcher knives that you can call claws on a good day.
This isn't a good day.
Your armor helps you against the awkward angle of attack, and you succeed in getting her to back off with a surprise swing of your scimitar. One-armed combat is still new, and you catch yourself trying to punch with your now missing arm. Still, the swing was enough to make the harpy back off, and you've got some height over the birds below. One of the birds, a big one, attempts to scale the wall with its powerful feet and the aid of its wings, but that leaves it easy picking for a hammer blow from you. You split the skull in two, and it falls backwards, clutching the wound as it falls three meters down. The harpy, however, goes in for another divebomb. You attempt to slice her apart with a welltimed blow of your scimitar, and you succeed in parrying those talons! However, the one-handed grip can't be held with enough force, and your scimitar falls away, clattering as it goes. You rush over, your speed more than enough to catch it, but you take another claw across the back. Once more your armor holds, but the force of the blow bleeds through. You feel a redhot stripe across your back, and you hiss in pain. Two more birds also reach the rooftops, and they do their typical blind rush. Fortunately, you're more than capable of taking them on. You use your weight to slam one to the ground and you begin to crush the bird with your drider body while you slash the other bird twice in quick succession. You're still a capable swordswoman! You finish the one below you off with a quick throatslash before letting it go. The harpy comes in for another attack, but you are DONE playing around. You drop your scimitar and bundle your legs together for a moment. Just as it attempts to slam you down with another divebomb, you twist to the sides, and manage to get your hand around the harpy's leg! The thin leg allows for an easy grip, and you pull it down with one go. You shank it right in the chest with your stinger, and the relatively lithe creature writhes and twists at your assault. You follow it up with more and more stabs, until it stops moving entirely. You finish it off by grabbing it by the head and smashing it against the floor, causing a small spray of blood. The bones are rather brittle on these ones...

You quickly pick up your scimitar to deal with the other birds, but the fight is clearly out of them at the defeat of their leader. After killing two more, the remaining birds slink off without a fight.
With the enemy defeated single-handedly (hah!) you allow yourself to groan in pain. That harpy got off some choice hits...
You return to the hideout without any further issues, and allow yourself a breather before you explain the situation with Miriam. Both your scientists are very interested indeed, though Sucy has to remain with her explosives for the moment, the firesalts make it a tad volatile. Francine is available though!
The alternative is finding a place for Miriam to stay, for a moment. You can just bring her here and keep her in a corner. The infection isn't airborne, so as long as nobody starts kissing Miriam or anything it should be fine.

Take Francine to Miriam.
You're, uh, not sending Francine out alone. And you're not LEAVING her alone, either!

Bring Miriam here after all.
It'll look a tad silly to send her here anyway, sure, but you'll have cleared the way for her!

Other.
Regardless of your choices, you're bringing the kids along for the ride. They could use some carrion.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Neat stuff I do:

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: August 05, 2019, 09:00:43 pm »

Bring Miriam here after all

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: August 07, 2019, 04:33:13 pm »

Considering you just got done clearing out an entire gang of birds, getting Miriam back was a trivial affair. She walked rather clumsily, though, so you elected to carry her on your back, as long as nothing dangerous would come along to try and bar your way. You have a conversation on the way there, mostly about safety precautions. She is quick to follow on all of them, of course. Mostly it comes down to not touching anybody that isn't protected by a suit or a drider. And, of course, the fact that she is essentially going to be a sort of prisoner in a corner. All she asks is that she can lend a book of some sorts to keep busy, but she won't try to be a bother. Mostly, she's just meek. She ends up crying a little on the last stretch. Not nearly as bad as earlier, but you feel some wet droplets in your hair. She had a rather positive reaction to your children, as well. She even tried to pet Brainpower, but failed to do so with her cumbersome wings. She just sort of covered the legs with the feathers. Brainpower still appreciated the gesture, apart from throwing off the wing a little. Apparently, she's used to giant spiders from travelling to the Spider Palace. Where the driders come from...
Mother...
You've got a way to get to her, at least, but you've just got bigger fish to fry. You honestly doubt it'd be worth the effort for a personal quest to find a woman who abandoned you at birth. You leave it out of your thoughts when you enter the hideout.
Ah, here is the anomaly? Sucy says, fully suited up already. She won't have to worry about infection for the moment, and she quickly takes advantage of it. She stares a little when Miriam was quick to answer, however.
My name is Miriam. Pleased to meet you. She follows it up with a polite bow, with her wings behind her back. It makes her look a tad puffy with all the wings, but it gets the point across.
I'll take a few samples. Don't make noise. She puts a needle in Miriam before there was a reaction. Miriam flinches, more in surprise than in pain, as the syringe is filled up with blood. You note something that is strange right off the bat:
Her blood is still red.
Good eye. That might be the difference. A slight mutation that keeps the bloodflow going to the brain. No necrosis, less eldritch magic... Hm.
I.. It means that it's genetic. A small subset of people must be immune to the very worst effects of the plague, if not the most dramatic ones. Mind you, I suspect the creatures outside would not like this thing very much.
Correct. Likely, she would seem wrong to them. Like a recently-deceased zombie would. We can tell something is just "off".
Face is more human. Yunikki says, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed. She's eyeing Miriam suspiciously. Miriam, however, quickly jumps at the sudden appearance of the armed and unprotected stranger.
S-stay away! I might infect you!
Believe me. I'm something worse than a plague monster.
Miriam swallows at that statement, clearly taking that in for a moment. She elects not to ask any further questions. Not very inquisitive, is she?

She is placed in a corner after that, while Francine takes a closer look at the samples Sucy gathered. She went back to work on her explosives, but Francine is looking over everything she can. Physical changes, how different things feel, that sort of thing. It's all very thorough, and tragically sort of boring. Miriam giggles every once in a while when she's tickled, but you're not too interested. Yunikki takes you aside, however.
She's dangerous. I bet she's a spy of some sort. I'll keep watch on her, and if she tries anything she's dead.
I think she's legit. Not to mention, she's physically and mentally different. If we find a way to keep the infection danger at bay, we'll be fine.
What, are you going to sacrifice a few of the suits we have? We've only barely got enough to cover the people we have here... We need to start getting them out of here soon.
Once we take down Jack, We'll be on easy street.
Why not take them to the tower? The walls are keeping the infected in, along with the guards. I don't think people will shoot us on sight for letting people down over the wall.
What, do you want me to carry them up and down the wall? I can't do that, that's too much weight over time.
We HAVE time. But I get what you're saying. It's risky as hell. Especially if somebody got infected on the way there. We'll do it your way first, but... Keep that in mind.

There's nothing much to do for now, other than wait for any developments on Sucy's explosives, or anything notable about Miriam. You COULD just wait, or you could do some useful things...

Wait around
Boring, sure, but at least it's safe

Get to know Miriam
If you're going to be looking after this girl, you should get to know her properly, without her being in hysterics. She could get to know you, as well!

Go out and catch food.
Your spiders ate a little bit of the corpses, but they prefer something living. Go hunting with them to expand your army just a tad...

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Neat stuff I do:

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: August 07, 2019, 06:34:34 pm »

Get to know Miriam

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: August 07, 2019, 07:15:44 pm »

Yes, let's talk to her.

I mean, of course I'll pick whatever makes it most likely we can add a birdwoman mage to our crew. ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 216