Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184913 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #3135 on: August 07, 2019, 07:22:54 pm »

Don't we have to summon the zombie and free the giant crab-creature at some point?  I think we could do that thing alone, and don't see why we would wait until after trying to blow up Jack.

..outside of potential collateral, of course.  Maybe we should negotiate again first, now that we know what's going on?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:28:12 pm by Devastator »

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: August 08, 2019, 06:26:15 pm »

as talking to the girl will win, ask her about the spider palace at some point, and if she thinks that the bazaar might have survived the plague, trade a bit of info about offensive spells

ask the kid how he is going with the chicken bones

Recall if we remember something on the tower about a golem arm or something, or was it a exclusive thing from the dwarven cities?

shouldn't we also go to the blacksmith's house? Although we don't have much manpower right now but if we discover that she is in fact safe we should go with yukinni and the illusionist

main quest:
>explode jack
reward: make roads safer for us to find a safe route, huge exp

side quest:
>find the blacksmiths blueprints
reward: weapons, good weapons, nice weapons made for someone talented, and a revolver

we should not waste this opportunity to get good gear, he called the steel scimitar his shoddy work
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: August 09, 2019, 04:17:35 pm »

So, Miriam... Tell me about yourself.
Are you still unsure if I am not lying?
I wouldn't have brought you here if I was. No, I want to get to know you properly. It's looking like I'm going to be looking after you for a while.
The birdgirl looks at you for a while, smiles (hard to do with a beak, but she manages), and then tries to get comfortable.
A-alright. I've told you about my family and master, yes?
Sure, but how about you tell me about you, specifically. What are your hobbies?
Oh, I... I like to paint. It is a proper for a lady of my standing to do so.
Yeah? Do you like doing it?
Hmmm. I love to paint, but I... I shouldn't.
Shouldn't what?
It is not my place to talk about my flights of fancy. It is unbecoming of a lady.
...Are you serious? I'm asking you about them. This isn't some political debate, I'm not some socialite. I'm just a farmgirl that got swept up in a few things.
What!? A farmgirl? From where?
The Heartlands. From a little village, close to a city. My father runs an inn there. I was a cook, while my uncle also gave me weapons training. He wasn't my real uncle, but he was my father's partner for a long time. They were bounty hunters, pretty rough and tumble guys. Dad knew how to use a hook.
A hook, like the Taslana company? They had these strange hooded helmets, and they're known to train outsiders.
Wait, hold on! Really? Is it like a helmet with a veil below it, to cover up the head entirely?
Exactly, yes. They use axes and hooks to make sure their enemies cannot escape. She says it like she's describing how milk comes from cows. mercenary bands are a really matter of fact thing here, isn't it?
My father owns such a helmet. I guess this is where he learned to use that hook! He never did tell me, mostly claimed it was experience.
Understandable... The Taslana company does work a lady musn't talk about. But must be quick to hire, mind.
Brings us back on topic... Why can't you tell me more about the painting? Again, not exactly a socialite here.
If my father were to find out I was going around disrespecting everything that keeps our country great, he would disown me! Although...
She looks at her wings, with a sad expression. You're about to comfort her, until she suddenly sighs and smiles. A single tear rolls down her cheek, but she wipes it away.
It... Doesn't matter, does it? I'm already no longer a merchant daughter. Not even human... Well then. About my painting!
She gains a rebellious look to her. You think she'd smirk if she were able, but alas, the corners of her mouth are all she has left.
I hate to paint what they tell me to. The desert landscapes and the endless bloody portraits. I never get to paint anything interesting! The amount of times I've painted lord Nerevar... GAH! He's an awful man, anyway! Looks like a rhino sat on him!

She gestures wildly as she talks, her wings only adding to the effect. She stops for a moment, taking it in. Deep breaths.
I... I may be dead if I am ever found. But at least I'm finally free! I... I... I should. I should calm down
All at once, her exurberance is replaced with her usual demure way of moving. Making herself small again, too.
I... Please do not tell anybody about that. None of the mages, for certain. Such a thing would cost me my tongue.
They cut out your tongue for calling a lord an arseface?
She giggles, almost against her will. She tries to stop herself, but her shoulders shake regardless.
Gosh... I must know, what kind of wizard made you so... I don't know. Unusual? No other drider servant I've ever seen acts or looks like you;
What?
I assume you are an aberrant. A magus took you and shaped you to be more independent. An illegal practice, but not outside of this country.
Not quite. I just...share a mother, is my guess. I'm a few years older than any of those servants. I admit, the resemblance is uncanny, but no. I'm a mostly normal drider. Apart from the missing arm and a prior history of... a lot of things. Although, you knew where the driders are coming from, yes?
The spider palace, yes. Lord Ganishka rules it. He is... He was always a horrible man, doing unnatural things, but since he was able to spawn these servants, he has grown into the most powerful lord in the east. I have met him only once, during a feast. He sat at the end of the table, and he looked us all over with those... unnatural eyes. I feared him, truly, I did.
Well. That's sort of disturbing. Let's shift a bit, you can do lightning spells?
Ah, yes. I have an affinity for it. Mostly I was supposed to control it, but I was sometimes allowed to cast bolts at a target. I was... I always hit it, and the target was always shattered, but lord Nerevar always said it was sloppy. He never said why, just told me that woman shouldn't be casters. So it was normal for me to fail. He was going to teach me, though, once I proved myself. I was the only child, so I would be an exception by way of my Mammiliara. I would be an honorary son, and would pass on the family name if I bore child. Unless I married up, of course.
Your culture kind of sucks, you know that?
What?
Nothing. More practical matters: Do you think anybody from the bazaar might have survived the plague?
Not that I know of? This plague is not something you defeat through skill. It's a disease. There could be survivors, of course.
We'll look into that later. Anyhow, we'll talk a little more later, I'm just going to talk to somebody in the survivor camp for a bit.
All right. See you later.

You find the kid after a little while. He's snoozing in a hammock, not really sleeping but not really doing anything, either. When you get close, he just gives you a little sack.
Mostly bombs. Some do some cool stuff, but i didn't really keep track. I was outta mana, and I'm kinda tired anyway.
Well, I guess I'm just supposed to toss them, regardless of effect?
You got it.
Thanks. See you later, I guess.
Yeah, bye. Good luck out there!
He quickly goes back to laying in that hammock. He sure looks comfy. You miss hammocks. While you're here, you enter the secret basement, after getting everybody to promise never to go in that room, considering the dangers. The bloody hooks beckon for a sacrifice, and your book begins to spin once more. The runes are just a matter of searching... Maybe the weird creature that rtansported you gave you most of the runes? You only get ONE shot at this. Best not waste it on another trapper just to see if this god that kills you just by being near you and didn't want to talk at all last time would be willing to negotiate. Either you free him, or you bloody well don't.

You know how to summon the zombie. At least, you have all the materials. Look back, and try to find how to empower the summoning spell. That is, IF you want to free Chattur'gha. He's better than Mantorok, but Ancients are... fickle.

Or, you could head to the smith's house, gather up his supplies.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: August 09, 2019, 04:51:31 pm »

You know how to summon the zombie. At least, you have all the materials. Look back, and try to find how to empower the summoning spell. That is, IF you want to free Chattur'gha. He's better than Mantorok, but Ancients are... fickle.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: August 09, 2019, 08:38:17 pm »

We're past the godzilla threshold after all, and freeing Chattur'gha seems no more likely to wreck us than not freeing Chattur'gha.  I would consult with the others, simply because it isn't the kind of thing you suprise your friends with.  If they're insistant on not doing it before we fight Jack, we can delay it.

Wasn't it a rune or something to empower the spell?  Checking back it was called "Pargon" to do that.

Ancients are fickle, but even if we don't get some kind of direct boon, we might be able to just.. take some.  Chatt's been stuck in that circle for a while, and even the equivalent of god dandruff would probably be edible for something.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: August 11, 2019, 01:48:23 pm »

Just thought about something that now looks obvious for our next trip outside

ask survivors directions to butchers or something that sells meat on our way between our next objectives

we could use the meat and bones to make a small weird skeleton carrying the materials to create more zombies for us

ask other wizards what they could do to buff us for a while in case of a emergency or to improve our situation on this hideout
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: August 11, 2019, 04:09:12 pm »

That same deep, booming voice echoes through the room and your skull as the book begins to light up and spin. Fierce eldritch energies course throughout the room, and the hooks begin to swing and pull towards you. You feel as though your body is fading away as the power gathers. The runes are read once more, by a voice you recognize. Chattur'gha itself is calling out the runes as they appear, and the floor bursts and cracks as the stone moves aside to show these very runes.
Tier, Pargon, Aretak, Pargon, Chattur'gha.
As the runes rise up from the ground, in their five times interrupted circle, a short pause in the energies occurs. Then, the runes slam down and a horrific, skinless body begins to appear out of thin air. It is not instant, the very air itself looks to be transmuted into this beast. It appears as a skinless humanoid body, and it groans in a way that has nothing to do with air going through any kind of lungs, let alone a throat (which looks to be torn open). A red shield goes up around you, and your sight is switched to that of the zombie! You look at yourself, staring blankly ahead, and feel everything the dead feel. A cloying vulgarity that scratches at the back, middle and centre of your mind. You can't take this for long! You resist the urge to scream, and attempt to plod over to the beckoning hooks. Every step feels like knives piercing into your flesh, and it gives you nothing but pure, seething rage. When the first hook buries itself in your flesh, you are instantly released from the control over the dread apparition. Contrary to how it usually goes, the zombie does not disappear. Wordless, it is quickly torn apart by the hooks in this basement. Reverberating through the room and to the deepst core of your being, you hear an alarm of some sort. The floor begins to crack open, and glow in several places. You get the message, and quickly begin to abscond out of this gods-forsaken place!

When you go past the threshold, you hear a crunching noise, and needles shoot up to block off anything that might try to come through. Weird, spider-like limbs begin to burst through the wall, and collapse this eldritch basement. Just as the wall itself begins to close up, a single spidery limb bursts out towards you! Before you can dodge, you feel an intense pain.
The world seems to stop for a moment, and when you look down, you see yourself holding the twitching, hairy stick of a limb, myriads of joints along it. Far more than any living creature. Involuntarily, you move, as the limb twitches around behind you. You can't feel your lower body. You cough up blood, which rapidly begins to smoke and turn black as it splatters on your chest.
You have been impaled. The spiderly limb cracks backwards behind you, and you feel another sharp pain in the nape of your neck, followed by nothing but cold blackness.
You have died. The story is over.

No it's not.

She's waking up.
I told you. The wound had closed up already, it was a delivery system.
True. Chattur'gha does not play it careful, but he is not one to squander souls.
All at once, your senses return, causing you to scrunch up your face. You still feel some phantom pains, but you already know that you aren't actually injured. Or, uh, dead. For that matter.
What the hell just happened? You say, staring up at the ceiling. You're surrounded by a lot of people that are quickly beginning to back up. You shake your head and wipe your forehead. You've been sweating...
Blech... Did I mutate again or something?
Oh, no. Chattur'gha knows when to be less invasive. You look a little different, however.
You're fucking ripped, dude! The osteomancer kid says. He sounds in awe, which is kind of strange. He was hard to get really impressed. When you get up, you look yourself over. And, sure enough. Every movement is easier than the last, and your armor feels just a tad tighter. When yo look at your arm, you certainly notice the difference. That is one hell of a bicep! You quickly loosen up the armor a little, and it's clear that you've been granted a boon. A simple one, but a boon none the less. You feel a bit more solid, as well...
Perk added: Just a bit more real

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: August 11, 2019, 05:06:29 pm »

I remember Death saying that we needed to summon 3 Ancient zones to defeat Manorok,
try to figure out how to summon the other 2 Ancients to help fight Manorok

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: August 11, 2019, 07:49:23 pm »

(I remember us not really knowing how to do either of those.  Although death did say we met one of the other two.)

I think we have a Jack to kill now?  Anything else required for the plan, or is it time to start planting bombs?

Oh.. just thought of something.

Get some new blood samples.  Maybe we can isolate whatever-that-was.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 08:10:58 pm by Devastator »

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: August 11, 2019, 08:20:16 pm »

I shall disagree with you, we should use this chance to get good equipment and go to the blacksmith's house anyway, probably sucy has still another ingredient to get, maybe we can do both? ask sucy what is the ingredient she is missing to her bomb, and where to get it

wait

"Francine, when the hell did you learned that much about the elderitch?"
Novice english wordsmith

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: August 11, 2019, 08:40:41 pm »

I'm not against better equipment.  Are we waiting on something specifically?  Was there a gun or something?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: August 11, 2019, 08:42:21 pm »

Well, that endgame sacrifice seems both blatantly unnecessary, and against the rules. We'd passed the threshold, It shouldn't be able to reach us there.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: August 11, 2019, 08:45:09 pm »

Oh yeah, we should go to the blacksmith's house and grab his blueprints. If we bring those to him, he should be able to start working on guns.

Not that that'll help much with Jack, but it's probably good to mop up sidequests before killing the area's boss.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: August 13, 2019, 04:15:00 pm »

Well. That crosses the first one off our list. Now we need to find the other two Ancients. I know where to start on number two, at least...
I remember that thing. Not sure I want to 'unleash' it, considering what it already did.
They're better than Mantorok, so it'll have to do.
Sure. But we need to get out of this city, and I'm just about done on my bomb. I'll need one more ingredient, and then it's all done.
...Which is?
Fuses. I'm not about to toss any of this, I need to set it up and have it explode at the time of my choosing.
How the hell am I going to find fuses for that!?
Oh it's not too hard. We just need a runestone.
We have merchants right here. Merchants that sell magical boons, they're bound to have something as simple as a runestone.
They left a lot of their gear behind.
They what?
One of the wizards steps forward, looking a tad apologetic. It's the illusionist, best you can tell, must be the new leader now.
Well, we left behind anything that wasn't worth the added expense. Firesalts were an easy pick, considering we were at the smithy, but some of the other parts we left behind in our caravan.
You wouldn't happen to remember where you parked it, right?
I... I cast an illusion on it to make it fade into the background. There were only two people that have the counterspell active on them. And, uh... Well, they're the ones that were attacked in the trip here. Our caravan leader and that Miriam girl. Both are... They're both dead, no?
...YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR OWN COUNTERSPELL!? You yell, feeling anger for the first time since your arm fell off. Seems like you still have your limits on stupidity.
I'm just a Sleeper! They don't even let me HOLD anything for fear of me running off with it.
Ohh, god damn it! Where ELSE can we find runestones, then?
...We might have bought the main stock in the market. B-because we're running low and wizards are a bit limited here and-
I am going to to do something drastic if somebody doesn't get me good news soon.
I can bring you there. You hear from quite a distance behind you. When you turn around, you see Miriam is standing there, albeit at a good distance from anybody.
Holy shit! MUTANT!
Hold on! She's with us. Miriam! Get back to the main room!
Yes miss. B-but come see me. I'll... I'll get you to the runes.
I'll explain it to people here. You go talk to the bird. The alternatives to runestones are less than useful. I have a few, but if we have runestones there's no point.
Got it.

Right. I'm sorry I followed you, but I... I got curious.
Dangerous. But still, you can get me to the hidden caravan?
Yes, exactly! It's not too far from the smith's house, though it's still quite a detour. I just ask for one thing. Take me with you.
Isn't that dangerous? You can just give me directions
I realize that, but... I'm talking long-term. I don't have any more ties to my family, or even this country. You were kind to me, even though you shouldn't have been. So, I4d like to join you. You're even a capable wizard, yes? You can teach me to be a more effective fighter. Like I stated, I can cast lightning spells, I just lack the theory to effective casting.
I'm a necromancer, Miriam. Doesn't quite mesh with elemental magic.
That book you are using has the information, though. Not to mention, your deathbolts follow the basic principle. I... I shouldn't be insistent, but please! I know I can be useful!
...I'll consider it. I've got to prepare for the journey to the smith's house, regardless.

Who will you take with you? Everybody is available. Your spider children will join you by default.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:26:00 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: August 13, 2019, 07:29:06 pm »

Hmm. Probably want to bring Susy for the caravan so she can point out which runestones she needs. So maybe hold her in reserve while we go to the blacksmith.

Take Yuniki at least, maybe Francine.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 216