Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184958 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #3090 on: July 17, 2019, 12:07:40 pm »

Nothing can go wrong with teaching our child Necromancy. Nothing.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: July 17, 2019, 12:48:13 pm »

I agree with the above, but, in addition, can pinworks work on, say, the teeth or claws of zombie vermin? Maybe check the book of darkness, see if it has anything on this/making this more effective. If yes, then spend a few hours having our familiars/spiders/whatever gather dead vermin and make ourselves some doombolt rats. Maybe a few spark ones too. With our mana regen, we should be able to make quite a few.

On a sidenote, we should totally find a better way to store spells once we're out of the city.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: July 17, 2019, 05:25:57 pm »

No, I don't have bombs yet. At least not to the specifications we want. I need some more materials and I decided not to tell you.
Why not?
Because you consider yourself healthy enough to go out on a dangerous assault when you're able to walk. Currently, you're down an arm and not in a good state of mind.
What? I understand that arm part, but how am I not in a good state of mind?
You're too cheery. Incessantly so. You don't seem aware of the danger anymore, you don't think ahead. The Sydney I know doesn't sit around relaxing, at least not successfully. Not to mention, since when do you mention that time with the bandits?
That just happened, all right? I got over it.
Including the ritual?
You feel your face twisting, and can't stop yourself from looking away from Sucy's red-brown eyes. She has a nasty squint going on. Eventually, you manage to speak. You.. you can't remember, really, you can't. But...
The what?
...That's what I mean. You're happier. That doesn't mean you're in a good place. I don't know you like this.
Look, I... I may not be as miserable as usual, but that doesn't mean I'm insane. Hell, if anything, I'm probably saner now than before. No more lingering issues, just focused on the now!
Everybody has issues, Sydney. Some are better at hiding it, and the worst people are the ones that hide it from themselves. Still, even outside of your mental state, you needed rest.
Can you tell me what you need, at least?
Fire salts. A lot of it. The local smith used it for his fire, so go there. However, I'm not letting you leave without more rest. We have need of you.
I didn't think you cared.
Shut up. Keep yourself busy for a while longer.
Fine, I will! You say, with a haughty air. Mostly as a joke, you're not actually upset. She's right! Not about the mental state bit, but you DO need a bit more rest before you go out there. With your kids, however, you would have preferred sticking around to teach them a few more things anyhow!

You elected to start by trying to teach Brainpower how to raise the dead, but you don't even get started before it goes wrong. As it turns out, she doesn't even have the mana to cast that spell! She has an unimaginably low amount of mana, most likely because she is still a newborn. As large as she is, she's still just a baby... No mana regeneration boost, either, that deathbolt was the limit. You'll have to take care of her for a long time if you want to get her casting spells like the best of them, but you don't doubt that you haven't even touched the bare upper limits of what she might be able to do, down the line. If nothing else, she is still smarter than the other spiders, allowing her to serve as an independent commander of your kids. She'll be everybody's big sister! She's even a bit protective, regularly rubbing the bodies of the others with her hairy limbs. Or she's claiming ownership. Could be both.
So, you turn to Chattur'gha. Boy, how long has it been since you thought of him? Matter of fact, didn't you sacrifice something to him already? Unless that vampire isn't what he meant. Fortunately, it's not even possible to forget even the slightest sensation you experienced in his realm.
His words flash through your mind.
SUMMON MY SACRIFICE. BRING HIM UPON THE ALTAR OF FLESH. DO NOT FAIL ME.
You need to summon his sacrifice, somehow. Most likely with the magick runes that are connected to the Ancients. You've summoned that little crab creature by fiddling with the hook basement, and the runes were fairly obvious then. So, you just need to find a rune that connects with "power".
Where in the hell would you find THAT!? Some word used to power something. You feel as though you've heard it when you were with Edwin.
You wonder how he's doing.

You should rest up a while longer, but then you should head to the smithy for those fire salts. You can also gather up some more weaponry there, if you find somebody that can use it. In the meantime, your spiders cannot be used for gathering vermin right now. They are hungry and very young, so you would have to stay with them. They will need about four more days before they can gather up little beasts on their own.
You should find a new familiar. Or maybe find the old corpses and resurrect those.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

I agree with the above, but, in addition, can pinworks work on, say, the teeth or claws of zombie vermin?

Sadly, those parts are too small. The average pinwork bone is about the size of a railway spike
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: July 19, 2019, 11:02:39 pm »

See if there's a way to make graft cheaper, and maybe turn off the mana flow when we aren't actively using it? (we made that spell before going to school, after all). Then snuggle up with spider babies and sleep. Make sure it's somewhere that Francine can't get to us alone.

After that, find new familiars (or maybe the old ones, but only if it's safe to look and only if we have a good idea about where they are). Then head to the forge, make our familiars scout ahead.
Unless someone has a better idea?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: July 19, 2019, 11:12:05 pm »

Can our Tome connect with Edwin's copy?

We should try to write out the runes that we saw when with him.  I mean, I doubt we'll remember them well enough, but maybe we should try?  Might get lucky.

And yeah, we can scout the area by rezzing one of those bird-creatures, and marking out a good map.  Maybe we can go most of the way underground or something.  Could get lucky.

I don't know what's wrong with our mind, but.. eh.  Maybe it's a side effect of having worshippers?

Pinworking graft to replace our arm might be possible.  A railway spike is pretty big, but we're what, eight feet tall now?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 03:18:43 am by Devastator »

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: July 20, 2019, 12:21:27 am »

We'll still need to find a corpse with an intact right arm. Maybe a left arm too to make the spike. Good thing school taught us corpse cutting!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: July 20, 2019, 05:12:38 pm »

You remember where you should be able to look for runes, namely when you saw Edwin working on them! Of course, it's hard to remember their shape, but somehow the name sticks around. You know most of them already, as the book remembered that one for you. The one you didn't have before was Pargon, at least...
Your book glows, and a ring dotted three times with a circle begins spinning. slow at first, but it rapidly begins to speed up. Soon, it's just a blur that makes audible grinding noises. After a little while, a second ring starts spinning, one with five rings. Noticeably, this one has a red glow to it that seems out of place. It's... Well, look, it's a magic book, so it gives you the idea. The five rings don't properly belong to you, but something else is granting them just enough power for a single spell... Most likely, the power rune was part of the spell. If you had to guess, Pargon is that very rune, and is likely just a nondescript addition to an existing magick spell.
This system is dreadfully inefficient compared to normal magic, including ritual magic. Still, at least the book keeps all the information without you having to expand a lot of effort. It even shows off how to do a few spells, including a Summon spell and a Magickal Attack spell. The attack spell is mostly useless if you read this right. The best thing it has going for it is that the size or toughness of the foe doesn't matter, it'll always work and do a decent amount of damage. "Decent" being a tad relative. You're pretty sure a doombolt is just more practical, provided your enemy has a soul.

At any rate, you may know the rune, but you don't know the spell. You can only power up ONE spell. You're pretty sure a sacrifice won't come from attacking those hooks, so maybe a summon would work. You don't quite know how to do that, but maybe you'll think of it later. You're fairly certain something got summoned once with Magick, you'll just have to look back.
The rings quickly quiet down, though, as if sensing that you're not quite ready to solve the puzzle of releasing Chattur'gha yet. You're sure you can get going on it at your leasure, just do it before you skip town.
Now, other than that, you considerin a way for you to get an arm back, using pinworks. It's... kind of a harebrained idea, honestly. The black mark on your stump of a shoulder is a pretty clear sign you can't put something new there. Pinning it to yourself with pinworks would be a very painful and very temporary solution at best. You're still susceptible to infections, not to mention that you're not sure how the magically necrotized tissue will react to the magic inside the pinwork spike. Honestly, you're not too jazzed on trying it at all.
Grafting on a limb would be an easier choice regardless. Given enough time and mana, you can permanently graft something new in just 20 seconds. Of course, it'll just be attached at that point. Getting it working is another trick entirely, as you've learned at the tower. There a good reason you don't see many multi-limbed necromancers around, it's a pain in the ass to get a limb to cooperate with you. On average, it takes six months of work before the limb properly works, and a year before it's comfortable again.
And, again, your shoulder is not really a possible place for an arm anymore...
You wonder if you could just graft a bunch on, get some four or even six armed action going. Probably not, the mana requirement alone is nearly impossible, and having to work on getting your body to accept even one arm is a year or toil and trouble.
Best to keep moving.

In the meantime, you order Yunikki to find you a dead bird, for the purpose of getting the area scouted, at least. A lizard would be fine too, as you can hardly expect your swordfighter to kill a harpy by herself. The male birds are flightless, thank god.
You just don't remember where your old familiars might have fallen, and there's honestly a good chance they've been eaten in the meantime. Maybe you should get some of the remaining vermin, but your spiders have been very thorough in EATING every little bit of vermin that comes in. They're hungry little cutie-patooties!
But it's hard to get a familiar on your own.
Yunikki got a bird in short order, a small one. It's starting the scout, but it will take a while before you've got a proper map and an idea of what you're facing. If it's lizards, it will take even longer!

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Undead

EDIT: added an undead tab. These guys are going to be a backbone to any army, if you can really get to work on getting some quantity.
Also of note: tying a zombie to your back wouldn't be efficient. The average zombie is not exceptionally well coordinated, and there's a small amount of input lag when giving orders. One MIGHT be able to get somewhere with a familiar, but anything larger than a dog cannot be made into a familiar
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:59:24 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: July 21, 2019, 06:27:09 pm »

Can I get a day or two extension?  Life is busy this weekend and I don't have time to properly read the update.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: July 22, 2019, 07:14:32 am »

I update when there are orders. If there are none, then the update is delayed outside of my control, for once.
Neat stuff I do:

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: July 22, 2019, 07:17:08 pm »

so, Yukinni got a bird, did we raise it yet? (didn't found in the spoilers) we should transform it on the familiar and make it explore and scout, maybe even get us another creature or help us to make contact with the people responsible for the quarantine

talk with the chief of the tower, he might be able to teach us how to give and take mana to/from others
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: July 22, 2019, 07:21:06 pm »

so, Yukinni got a bird, did we raise it yet? (didn't found in the spoilers) we should transform it on the familiar and make it explore and scout, maybe even get us another creature or help us to make contact with the people responsible for the quarantine

talk with the chief of the tower, he might be able to teach us how to give and take mana to/from others
+1

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: July 22, 2019, 09:31:35 pm »

I mean, 6 arms on a drider would only be appropriate :P
How well would it work if we tied a zombie to ourself for protection? Like, would it be coordinated enough to block blows with a shield without getting in our way (for that matter, can they tie knots? Paint? Dance?)?

+1 on trying to learn mana draining. Think back on our memories too. We seem to have forgotten the detail of the ritual, but what about other traumatic experiences?
Also, consider contacting Death about these Unending creatures destroying souls, because I think he said that isn't supposed to happen.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:43:33 pm by Olith McHuman »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: July 22, 2019, 09:40:49 pm »

forgetting the details there may be bad news... albeit one with compensation.  What was the goal there, exactly?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:42:47 pm by Devastator »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: July 23, 2019, 04:48:30 pm »

Some stuff came up, super-short update today.
I'm moving the plot forward just a tiny bit regardless. Discussion with Death in the next update, so if you have any other questions, now is the time.

You successfully learn how to perform a mana drain after a very short discussion with the tower chief. He himself has very little to share on the subject, as he was more a conduit than a transformer. Still, considering you have an existing health drain ability, it didn't take long to make it a mana drain instead. Unfortunately, you have more trouble in finding a way to pass it on to something else. You have no leg to stand on to begin learning it, and you also don't really know where to start. Healing magic makes the most sense, but mana wasn't really covered in the books you're absorbed. You eventually just give up. At least you can gather mana without harming someone, that should be ripe for abuse.
You also try to remember what it is you've forgotten. You bounce off a few ideas from Yunikki and Sucy, but nothing really comes in. They did remind you that you used to be a vampire, though. You aren't right now, and you're pretty sure you were one until your arm fell off...
Like, you distinctly remember draining the occasional bit of blood, but right now it doesn't do anything for you. Well, it was an archaic plot point that didn't really come up much any more, considering blood is not that hard to come by when you're a professional killer of men.
With nothing else left to do right now, you elect to inform death of the fact souls can be destroyed by this new demon thing. That should be impossible, so it's worrying. While you're at it, you should probably think of some other questions before you arrive.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Undead
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:31:59 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: July 24, 2019, 08:25:34 pm »

We should ask death about the multisouled creatures in general.

And the other ancients.. what they are, if they were always ancients, and maybe some dirt on or about them.  There might be some insight as to what a sacrifice may be, and it would be good to know things about them for bargaining, for instance.

And also.. is Hal still alive?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 08:42:03 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 216