Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185009 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #3030 on: June 25, 2019, 05:34:24 pm »

Uh huh... There any windows in this building? Might be for the best if we wallclimb down the exterior of the tower, at least skip the floor with the goblin. I could see pelting the thing with doombolts working, but no need to take unnecessary risks.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: June 25, 2019, 08:49:26 pm »

I think this thing should die if we're going to do it, but yeah, taking the outside route seems like the easy way through.  We could then just pass it off as us not saying our real plan in front of someone compromised.

That is, if we can get outside.

..I do think this thing would be far better off dead, though, and there's a safish way to pull it off.

We need a book.  Any old random book would do.  Then we need some bones.  I propose we cast "Necromantic Runes" (this morning) via ten pinwork Doombolt spells. placed inside any old book.  That fleshy mass we just cut up should have some bone fragments in it, or barring that, we could chip away a small bit of our extra-thick exoskeleton for the raw materials.  A bit of slow-pitch later, and lets see how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:52:41 pm by Devastator »

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: June 25, 2019, 10:28:45 pm »

Alexia can whisper to us our situation maybe?
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: June 27, 2019, 05:44:13 pm »

While the idea of creating ten pinwork traps seems appealing, you're currently REALLY out of it. You need a little time to recover, first, try to get your bearings, and stop yourself from vomiting. You're currently dry-heaving a little, but you're getting better.
I feel... I feel stronger. A lot stronger. But you... I can feel your heartbeat, better than before. It feels weaker.
Am I having a heart attack?
I think I'm just a bigger part of you, now. I take up more of your body, and unfortunately also its resources. I'm sorry, Sydney.
Ohhh, why can't things ever be easy.
I... Things will be all right, I'm sure. Is there something I should do?
Collect bones while I get my bearings, maybe. Use that corpse, and then get me a big book. I'm going to stab bones in it and make a landmine.
What will you use? Fireballs?
Doombolts. Necromantic energy that rely on soul snapbacks.
...How many can you cast?
About ten is my guess. Maybe nine, if the bones need reshaping.
That will harm it, but... it won't kill it. They've tested this out extensively. It takes the same amount of bolts per creature, unless they have an unusual amount of souls. You'll just need a bit more to kill this thing.
How much?
about fifteen, is my guess. I think ten would usually work, but this place... It's not good for mana. The librarian would be even more powerful if it wanted to leave this tower. It would be a danger to all, including the monsters, so they kept it here as a guard dog. How did you get past?
Sacrificed an undead minion. It likes studying things.
...Quite.
So I guess I should just leave, or something? I can crawl out the window.
But what about us?
I'll carry you, I've done it before.
As soon as you're done dryheaving on the floor, i'm assuming? I'm afraid you're not up to it.
What the hell else can we do?
Either a distraction, or we... Well, you can attack the creature when it is getting hit with the mine. OF course, it's bound to be dangerous. Or you could leave by yourself and bring reinforcements, if you have them.
Right. Fine. whatever. We'll see what we think up.

You'll need a good strategy to kill this thing, or leave behind Yunikki and the old man. Cutting off your arm has had serious effects on your health!

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: June 27, 2019, 08:27:42 pm »

Just go out the window and regain mana by clinging to the outside. Should be enough if it's just the construction of this place keeping mana from flowing in. Worst case, we can go down to the ground to regain mana then climb back up.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: June 27, 2019, 08:40:30 pm »

Just go out the window and regain mana by clinging to the outside. Should be enough if it's just the construction of this place keeping mana from flowing in. Worst case, we can go down to the ground to regain mana then climb back up.
+1

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: June 27, 2019, 11:29:38 pm »

We have through-walls soulsight and we're on a higher floor of a building.  Earlier it was too much to drop a whole building on a massive creature, but the librarian is much smaller, and we're directly above him, and can track his movements via soul-sight.  We should try to drop half the floor on him by making some partial cutouts, and then after the booktrap goes off, finishing the job by dropping the roof on him.  He might be able to stop that, but it's a lot harder to handle a wide group of smaller chunks than one big chunk, and we can add to the party by joining in while he's staggered.

If we do go outside, I do recommend we make a safety harness out of web first, as we're kinda out of it.  Might be able to make a rope down for the others, too.  Also, I'd probably only really need enough for a smokescreen.  I think librarian creature is pretty eye-dependant, so a smokescreen might mean victory.

(Also, a real shame we didn't have enough mana to use soul-flame against those undying.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 07:33:46 pm by Devastator »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: June 29, 2019, 05:14:21 pm »

You briefly consider taking down several loadbearing pillars in the top layer of the tower to see if you can't crush something useing an entire ceiling. Your expertise in knowing that "speedy thing go until not go" quickly reminds as to why it would be a very bad idea to collapse a ceiling in a tower. Especially when you can just... go outside. Recharge your batteries and get back in. You know, easy. If you weren't on the verge of passing out, but you'll manage. Just need to make a little rope, get a safety harness, just in case. You get to work on that, with Yunikki and the Old man's help. It takes a little doing to figure it all out, but eventually you get it to work out. Of course, there's just the matter of having something that will stop your weight if you happen to pass out. With some bookcases, a desk and the combined strength of Yunikki and...
Okay, just Yunikki, let's be real here. That old man is just helping so he won't be fired.

When you crawl down, the assault of vertigo is short but brutal. The floor seems really far away, honestly, and you feel really tired. It takes you a little while to get down, though you do pass out about halfway through. That sure sped up the process! The feeling of gravity, falling and sheer adrenaline woke you up in time to stop yourself from falling, though you're pretty sure you heard the old man squeak in fear (maybe effort). That harness was a good idea, all right. You make it down with no issue beyond that, and try to find a quiet place to rest up for at least a little while. You need the mana, nothing more. Now, other than that, you just need something to keep busy. You can just hide in the house closest to the tower, as the mutants on the street have dispersed closer to your distraction. None of them are here, for the moment. That could change at any time, however.

Barricade yourself in.
PHysical activity might not be entirely wise, but it will keep your safe

Study
This will keep you busy and quiet. Not to mention, you can learn something important.

Close your eyes for a few seconds
It'll be fiiine. You'll wake up if anything gets close.

Other

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

it has been 34 degrees Celsius here (that's 94 degrees Fahrenheit for you freedomfellas). Hot damn am I sweaty and tired.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: June 29, 2019, 05:24:52 pm »

i think studying sounds like a good idea. It won’t tire us out so much and knowledge is power

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: June 29, 2019, 06:22:05 pm »

Close your eyes for a few seconds.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: June 29, 2019, 09:57:39 pm »

Study.  Lets try to be able to make small fires to improve the functioning of Gather Soul.  I'd want something like that ready next time we face an unending.  That'll make it a hit that they can't shake off.. sending their souls back to death.

..Is there stuff on healing magic?

..is sleeping how we meet with death?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:40:44 pm by Devastator »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: July 02, 2019, 01:45:39 pm »

I am really not feeling up to making a whole update today. Personal issue, hope to get over it by tomorrow. I should manage, I try to be a tough nut to crack.
Anyhow, short update, as there wasn't much that would have happened.

You spend some time studying, once you found a nice secluded basement. You hope that you won't get bothered, and your hopes end up happening. You attempt to learn how to make a basic flame, and you think that you can make a basic spark with the short amount of time you study. It's actually a little annoying, as you're not immune to the heat of the spark. You won't be able to put in a soul in there, but you might be able to set something alight with that.
Cantrip attained: Spark: cause a small flicker of fire to appear when you snap your finger. This can really only set something that is easily flammable on fire. Remember, fire is nobody's friend.

Your mana regenerated quite fast, though you see if there aren't some basics on healing magic you can get. While there is a lot of information, this is going to take hours to even begin to understand the basics. Healing magic is incredibly convoluted!
Still, your mana is full. You could try climbing the tower again, unless you have a different idea?

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:18:36 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: July 03, 2019, 02:12:46 pm »

"the Itsi Bitsi spider went up the water spout tower.."

climb the tower
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: July 03, 2019, 02:25:05 pm »

Yup, lets get back to it.  Gotta kill that librarian, and we're the only ones who can do it.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: July 04, 2019, 05:11:39 pm »

When your mana has finally recharged, you resign yourself to having to climb the tower again. You don't feel nearly well-rested enough to try it, but damn it all, your friend need help. So, you begin your climbing. You're not even halfway up when you start sweating, but you haven't fainted yet, which is nice. You don't plan on looking down, considering you already know damn well that you'll die if you fall now. As you go up, you feel a headache coming on, on just one side of your head. You squeeze four of your eyes shut, trying to push away the discomfort, but it doesn't help. In fact, it just makes it worse. When your eyes open, they feel warm and itchy, which is just what you wanted for this absolute joy of a sensation.
Then you look ahead, and nearly fall. From the right side, you see a squirming mass of limbs, undulating and moving incessantly. Looking over, raising your fist as some sort of futile defence against whatever this monsterously huge thing is, you get a good look at it. It looks like... a leech? A huge leech with a truly massive abdomen, swollen with something blue and glowing. It keeps on moving, and all along its body in seemingly random places are long lines of hair. Those "limbs" you saw out the corner of your eye. They don't seem to do much other than move around incessantly, in ways that should be impossible. Despite that, it is still moving is a sort of wavy pattern. At the very top of the creature, not too far from the window you plan to climb through, you can see the head. Three massive spikes (teeth?) seem to embed itself into the tower, and four long, far more solid-looking limbs at the top seem to anchor it as well. As it keeps moving and seemingly eating, it doesn't seem to take note of you. Considering the size difference and your current condition, you hope to keep it that way. You need to get to the top.

You keep on climbing, as the headache seems to weaken, but the leech remains. This thing can't be real. It's not like you would have missed that thing, it's huge, nearly 20 meters long and covering a large portion of the tower. That arm is causing more side-effects, isn't it?
You'll deal with it later. Though this is starting to be a lot to unpack.
Fortunately, the shocking encounter distracted you from being so tired. You reach the window, though you need a little help to get through it. As soon as you have solid ground underneath you, you proceed to collapse, your legs falling out from under you. Yunikki is quick to jump to your side, and you give her some platitudes, to make sure she doesn't worry too much. You're just tired, it'll be fine. The old man has been collecting bones, in the meantime, and he found a very large book that he feels wouldn't be missed from this collection. Some old, inaccurate atlas they meant to throw away for some time now. Of course, jamming 15 bones in there isn't exactly easy, but it was a very large book you just don't need an entire bone, just a shard will do. By the end of it, the book is quite obviously nigh unreadable, but it might still work.
Now, you just need to get it to the brain. You begin walking with this collection of paper that might generously be called a book, covered in all manner of sharpened bone that took you about an hour to get right. You feel ready to pass out, honestly, especially now that you're all out of mana. You have no sensation in your fingers, but you're still conscious at least.

The sad thing is, killing the brain was... uneventful? When you handed it the book, your pinworks just went off and ripped the soul out of the creature. It almost instantly disappeared in a puff, not even giving you time to trap it! The body of the creature follows soon after. Turns out that doombolts kill the target by tearing the soul out without the rebound effect. It makes sense for necromancy, intact corpses make for good minions.
Before you get any ideas, however, this corpse is functionally worthless. It's immobile, and most of its power came from magical brainpower, of which it wouldn't even have as a zombie. It'd be a big bag of blubber that you couldn't even shape into a proper golem (unless you want a braingolem. Which is as gross as it is of questionable use.)

The tower is yours...
Now what, though? You should head back and get those books and parchment in the hands of those who need it, but you had a plan for when the tower was clear, right?

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 216