Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 186024 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #690 on: June 08, 2017, 04:05:48 pm »

Most wizards aren't too keen on talking to the creature, but you decide to go back for a few questions. The answers weren't too helpful, but the questions were still important to ask.
So. How would one defend themselves against eldritch magic?
A sword usually works. As well as not standing inside massive, obvious cirkles of sacrifice. Eldritch works with minions, unless we deal with you personally. And you won't be able to survive that. Not ever.
And yet, you seemed very keen on not having a fight with us. Whatever. Can I at least ward the gestating thing away, somehow?
A shield helps.
I swear to god, I am going to come down there and make you a new asshole if you keep this up!
Your idle threats are of no concern to me, longlife. There are no wards to counter the eldritch. It is not in our nature to be comprehended. It would require great insight before one could tap into the same energies as we do.
Alright, get more levels in insight, who gives a shit.
How meta. Your mind can barely handle more insight into our being and the world at large. It would drive you insane. Permanently!
Noted. Anything I should know about the orc tower?
The headmaster is uncomfortably muscular and unclothed. That is all I am told.
...I'm going to bed.

The rest of the night goes by comparatively peaceful. Eveline never even left her bed, and is currently chewing on her tail. Sleep comes easily, with your dog ready to bark and wake you in case the peace doesn't last. When you awake, the sun is already high in the sky. Eveline is nowhere to be seen, although you later find her below enjoying a glass of milk and some bacon. She seems a bit disturbed, although you suppose anybody would be concerned about an eldritch being living underneath the place they were sleeping. Explaining the whole thing was a bit of a bother, and the narrative will skip over it as it was mostly just a recap. The interesting part to note is that she also asked a few questions, and that she really didn't like the answers. You try to pry, but she says it's too personal to just tell you. She tries to keep that piece of her past behind her, apart from the occasional nosing into things. You decide not to pry, you're pretty tired. The innkeeper is running the place again, with a smile on her face. She must be relieved we aren't here to kill her religion, after all. The scholars have decided to remain in the town for another day, so they can look around and see what kind of signs there are of eldritch presence, leaving you with another day in the village. Sadly, it's mostly kind of boring if you don't think about the horrors that lurk beneath.

Lounge around all day
After tonight, what is there to do, really? You can just hang around, find something to do... This will essentially skip the day, and move you forward to the journey towards the next town.

Learn and observe
You might as well follow the scholars in their little schooltrip. You're not sure if they'll find actual signs of eldritch presence, but it keeps you busy...

Get to know a scholar
THIS ALLOWS YOU TO WRITE IN ANOTHER SCHOLAR AND HAVE THEM BE MORE INVOLVED WITH SYDNEY. WITHOUT A WRITE-IN, THE OPTION IS IGNORED.

Other

Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inventory

Party

Magic, skills and minions

Sorry about the shorter updates + slower schedule, but exams are driving me up the fucking wall.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 08, 2017, 04:50:59 pm »

Id did say that it was related to Old Jesty, so we better take the chance to look around and see the experts talk about the ominous number of seagulls and the possibility of a slightly higher incidence of fog. I mean, sure, there will probably be another bolt in our arm before we see any signs of eldrith presence, and we are probably emanating a dash of eldritch ourselves, and there is probably some sort of meat-bird that has been spying on us since we left the city, but learning more is always a good thing, right?

Hrmm, if it is in their nature to not be comprehended, than in theory they can be warded away by invoking comprehension. If we could somehow take some sort of appropriate divination, perhaps an identification spell, and convert it into a field effect...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:48:08 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 09, 2017, 04:47:57 pm »

I'm going to admit it: The update schedule will be slowing down to one update every two days.  I will still be checking up on the thread, and I might just dump some lore or character history on occasions. It's just that during the exam period, it's quite hard to get the energy to write up an update. This will be temporary, and we'll return to the normal schedule soon.

If you have any requests on what character you want some extra history on, you can request it. However, if you use this knowledge to later advance Sydney's interests, it will be ignored. Sydney must learn of the story herself before she can act on it. Other than that, there are no limits.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 10, 2017, 05:31:19 pm »

So, did you find anything interesting on your end? You ask Meandra, after a large search of the village for anything extraordinary. The people looked at you with wide-open mouthes. These people never saw a drider before, period. At least they're nice about it, and try not to stare when you're looking. Not to mention, you haven't been getting a stone to the back of the head.
Meandra thinks a little before answering. Not particularly. But that might just be the thing. There's very little plant life in the whole village, apart from their crops. I mean, usually you've got some grass or weeds poking through the road, or something. But there's almost nothing. Of course, they may just keep things tidy, so I can't really tell you if that's a real thing to watch out for... Honestly, it might just be the salt in the caves that affect the soil here.
Salt?
Couldn't you smell it? That thing down there lives in salt water, and the stone itself has a fairly large deposit of salt. It's a little odd that the village isn't selling any, but I guess they don't want anybody heading down there. Anyway, that's everything on my end... I'd say you should ask around and... and, uh... Suddenly, Meandra begins to pale a little. Before you know it, she loses her footing and almost collapses, although you barely manage to catch her. You cry out her name as she faints entirely. You pick her up and carry her to Richard as fast as you can, which is VERY. The air makes your hair flap around, and before even you expected it, you stand before Meadra's master with a pale, passed out Meandra in your hands.
He seems unsurprised, if a bit worried.
I suppose it would have happened sooner rather than later... Help me get her to her room, please.

When Meandra's lying on her bed, her master putting a hand over her head. He sniffs in a dismissive way, and mumbles something to himself while you stand there, tapping a finger against your arms. Eventually, you break the silence
What's wrong with her?
Hm... Her injuries are very taxing on her body. The people from the Blighted beak may have saved her life, but it's still very lackluster healing. She's actually very torn up about the scars. She was always a little vain, you see.She used to wear more loose-fitting tunics, now she won't wear anything that isn't a cloak. and of course, the current problem. Richard begins to stroke his beard a little as he leans forward.
Her body has to try and solve these injuries itself, and that takes up a lot of energy. Most of the time, it just taps in her mana reserve, but sometimes it'll hit her body directly. It's similar to being anemic, and her easy living makes her susceptible to fainting. No need to worry, though, she'll be fine in a little while.
How often does this happen?
It's improving, actually. Used to be multiple times a day, but this is the first time in three days.
You hear a groan coming from Meandra. She opens her eyes, and looks around for a second before making the connection.
Awww... Again? Damn it.
It's alright, Meandra. Sydney here was kind enough to bring you to me. Will you be fine, or would you like to stay in bed for a little longer.
Blarg... Bed please.
She honestly looks a bit like a corpse. You can't blame her for wanting to stay in bed for a little longer. You decide to step outside and continue the adventure in trying to find eldritch traces without knowing what those are.

Sure enough, nobody has anything of note. No energies, no growths, not even exceptional behavior in the townsfolk. The people seem pretty frustrated about the results, ultimately. However, when you point out the possibility of making a circle of identification, you cause a little wave of interest. Identification spells are a bit rare and difficult, however, and making an area of effect is unheard of, but people are excited to attempt it. Still, it's likely that this won't be finished for a long time. Still, the ability to ward off the uncomprehendable with comprehension is honestly a nerd's wet dream.
Still, that marks the end of the day in this town. You will be spending another night here, and then the journey will continue.

READER CHOICES: Because this is fairly rail-roady, I will give the readers the ability to vaguely choose what they will meet on the way to the next town.

Three short encounters
You will find three marks of interest. They do not warrant more than one update, if that, but will often give goodies or knowledge.

One long encounter, one short encounter
You will meet something very interesting, and potentially dangerous. This event will take place over more than one update. This is then followed or preceded by a simple shorter event.

Epic Encounter
You will find something larger than this town. The amount of updates requires are unsure, but it WILL lock you in for just one happening and is going to be considerably more dangerous. Deaths are VERY likely.

WRITE-IN
I don't plan on making this common, but just this once you can make a choice of something that will come up. It will take up the room of one of the encounters, so if it is too large to fit in the selected amount of encounters, it will have to be ignored. The same rules apply as the scholars, if they don't fit in the world, I will adapt it to the closest possible connection.

Stats

Inventory

Party

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 12:06:15 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 10, 2017, 05:36:56 pm »

1 long 1 short
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 10, 2017, 06:15:37 pm »

That seems fair. I could see three short being a bit repetitive with the "situation gets resolved and then a new one happens" cycle. Meanwhile I feel that our epic uota is still filled from the city.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 10, 2017, 08:55:36 pm »

I'd like to add a scholar.  A girl scholar, specializes in energy manipulation and metamagic (understanding the workings of spells).  Named Anna Radbot.  Kind of energetic and outgoing.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 11, 2017, 04:39:14 pm »

Welcome to the weekend, where the earlier mention of a slow update schedule is immediately crushed! The next five days will have less updates, I suspect. Possibly.

The final night was peaceful, for the most part. Eveline was very happy to be back inside, as she apparently attracted a horde of children that deemed her as a very cute and intelligent dog. She spent an hour getting petted and being too nervous to say anything. She covers her face in her hands while saying it was SO embarrassing. Which was ultimately really cute. Her tail was high up, swinging slowly as it reflected her mood. When you jokingly tell her that you could pet her for a while if she liked it so much, she goes quiet for a while, looking a little appalled. The effect was instantly lost when you noticed her tail wagging against the wall at such velocity you feared it might crack. It took all you had to not burst out laughing. She soon catches herself doing and grips her tail, looking even more embarrassed. She then hid herself under the covers and didn't come out again. You went to sleep right after, it's not really a problem. In the morning, you'll just not talk about it for her sake.
You still snicker a little though.

When morning comes, the innkeeper is there to wave you away. Seems like she doesn't have any hard feelings, and that she managed to look like a human being again. She waves your group off, though you suspect it's more out of relief than anything. Still, you're just as glad to be out of that town as they are glad to be rid of the scholars. Especially now that they have the opportunity to talk about creating a new spell. Every scholar, apart from the bard, is talking excitedly about creating a spell like this. The leader of the discussion is a young girl wearing goggles of some kind. Her red, unkempt hair and high-pitched voice makes her stand out, now that she has a reason to be excited. Turns out creating spells is right up her alley, considering she's a scholar of metamagic. Not many people bother in that study, considering there aren't many ways one can cast a spell. It's always just expelling magical energy and twisting it into the desired shape, ultimately. It all happens so naturally metamagic is considered unnecessary at best. Still, it could be useful for creating a new spell, most likely. You're the amateur here, so you stay out of the discussions. You actually keep yourself busy with the bard, who is telling the story of how a sword made a man a king once. You wonder how some watery tart throwing swords at people is a good ground for a constitutional monarchy, but the dwarf tells the tale with such enthusiasm you can't help but enjoy yourself. Meandra is also listening to the tale, as creating spells doesn't really concern her. Surprisingly, Eveline IS with the other scholars. Apparently, she has a couple potions that aid in removing illusions and the like. You didn't really pay attention.

After a two-day walk, during which nothing of note happened, you come across something very special indeed. A massive stone building, with large pillars holding up the front. In-between those pillars, you see ruined statues. Some look to be completely overtaken with vegetation, while others seem to be destroyed intentionally. Regardless of how it has been hit, though, it's impossible to tell what these statues might have represented. At best, you recognize some humanoid feet.
Alright, people, we're stopping here! It's getting late...
Considering the sun is already on the horizon, you can't help but agree, but you usually walk until it's too dark to properly see... Richard notices your look, however, and quickly explains before you can even ask.
This temple is a common spot for travelers to rest in. Rest assured it's perfectly safe! No curses or goblins of any kind. It'll make for a nice change of pace from sleeping on the ground, no?
There's a murmur of agreement, and the group goes inside the massive stone building. You notice there isn't a lot of dust for such an old building, and all sorts of rudimentary supports and wood keep everything steady. The most interesting part was the fact there were already people inside. A whole caravan, in fact. The doors are wide enough to allow passage of a cart, after all. Once inside, the scholars quickly introduce themselves to the caravan-folk. They are travelling merchants and performers, and one of them quickly puts on a show with a showhorse. Acrobatics on top of a horse is quite a sight to behold, as the horse and rider need to be in perfect harmony. Plenty of ooh's and aah's come from the audience, and you catch yourself holding your breath on more than one occasion. After that, the scholars also perform some tricks of their own. The bundle of cloth turns out to be a capable pyrotechnic, creating all manner of impressive fireworks. The ceiling here is so immensely high that no troubles seem to arise. The echoes of the firework go down, further into the temple. You noticed a passageway deeper into the temple earlier, but Richard said that anything of interest is long gone. At best, one can find some dusty old sleeping quarters at this point.

Soon enough, people are tired from doing their performances. You've been busy entertaining three small children, who are all very interested in the "spider lady". They can't quite pronounce your name, and just stick with spider lady. You don't really feel like getting annoyed over it, they are quite small, after all. Eventually, the whole place goes to sleep. You're quite glad to get some rest after dealing with kids for while. How do parents stand it!? Still, comfort lies in a soft blanket...
Suddenly, however, you are shaken awake by a rough hand. You reach for your sword as your eight eyes open, until you see it's the bard. He looks worried.
Ey, lass... I need yer help with somethin'.
I suppose it can't wait until morning?
Not quite... This might be serious. Follow me.
You rub your eyes for a bit, and put on a proper shirt over your underclothes. You decide against putting on your armor, as you plan on going back to sleep soon. The dwarf takes you over to the caravan people, and stops at their main cart. They have three total, all quite colorful.
See this? he says, as he knocks against the wood. It makes a rough noise, but nothing seems out of the ordinary.
Amazing, wood is solid... Why did you wake me up for this?
Ya didn't hear it? Listen closely. More thunking against the wood. You still don't hear anything unusual.
I'm going back to bed.
Ya still don't get it?! It doesn't sound hollow! This is no caravan, it sounds like a block o' wood on wheels! That don't make sense.
Maybe it's just loaded with some hefty props? Geez, man, I just want a night's sleep.
Look, I'm thinkin' this thing isn't a caravan, but a mimic! Insidious little bastard musta snuck inside the wagon and started replacin' it. It's hard to tell,
 but I've got a keen eye fer that sorta thing. We gotta destroy this wagon before that thing eats anybody.

Who the hell ever heard of a mimic copying a cart? Come on, you're just paranoid. You say, yawning.
Look, I needed you fer some muscle, in case the damned thing wakes up, but we need to wheel it outside and burn it.
I'm not helping you burn down a people's livelyhood!
It's not their livelyhood anymore! Soon enough that thing will have engulfed the whole cart, and then it'll move on to the people using it. Before ya know it, you've got a colony of mimics on wheels! You want that, Drider? A buncha toothy monsters rollin' inta town, eating townsfolk?

Help the dwarf
MAYBE he's right, but his evidence is awfully flimsy. And why the hell does he want to do it in secret, anyway!?

Go back to bed
You won't get involved in this sillyness. You've got better things to do than bother with some madman's delusions.

Get the others involved
Perhaps getting some scholars involved would be the better option. They could make a more educated guess than some guy with a drum.

Get everybody involved.
Whatever this guy is doing, everybody should know about it. IF he turns out to be right, the caravan people have a right to know before the cart gets burned.

Other

Stats

Inventory

Party

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:08:00 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 11, 2017, 06:01:49 pm »

Get the others involved
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 11, 2017, 06:23:26 pm »

Yes, try to do it quietly, but hopefully someone has a life detection spell or something. On that note, see if there are any souls in or on the wagon.
Read the First Post!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: June 12, 2017, 08:22:45 am »

Scholars and soul check.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 12, 2017, 09:20:40 am »

Scholars and soul check.

+1

And "why the hell does he want to do it in secret, anyway?" is a question that needs to be asked.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 13, 2017, 03:06:49 pm »

How about we get the others involved? I figure they could get a more educated guess than knocking on some wood
No! They wouldn't understand! Most people don't think mimics can be anything other than treasure chests. If we don't do this now, things will only get worse! I figured I would be able to convince you, and get this out of the damned way! I can never convince the whole group!
Why the hell do you need it be done in secret, anyway!? Tell these people what you think, and we can all just look it though rationally
This IS rational. I got my drum enchanted so it knows when mimics are around, alright? I've been looking around, and this is the only thing that doesn't add up! now help me torch this damned thing.
You don't even bother to continue the argument. You're already walking over to Richard and Meandra. Before the dwarf could try to stop you, you've already woken them up. Explaining the situation doesn't take long, even if the dwarf is jumping and gnashing his teeth in frustration. Soon enough, all the scholars are awake as Meandra goes around to tell them to help out.

What is this now? Is it really impossible to spend a night somewhere without meeting something terrible?
I guess not. I don't think it'll mean anything, though.
Oh, sure, mock me! I'm sure it'll still be real funny when the mimic's pickin' us out of his teeth!
Look. I'll just use my soulsight to see if the wagon suddenly gained a soul, how about that?
You immediately do so, closing six of your eyes. Sure enough, there's nothing in the wagon. Not a single blip.
That won't work, Sydney... Mimics don't have souls. Or perhaps they aren't detectable. It's not really a subject many people spent time on.
They're just hidin' the blip! Wouldn't be that great of a predator if you could spot 'em with a basic level spell, aye? They pray on adventurers the most,
 because they're always lookin' for treasure.

You're still looking around in soulsight, despite that. Maybe you'll see something, anyway? You start taking a walk around, just in case. Meanwhile, the bard keeps on talking.
We just wheel it outside n' burn it! Fire's the best way to deal with a mimic, they get too panicky to fight.
We aren't burning down somebody's property because you got a hunch. Come on!
It's NOT a hunch, missy, it's because of an enchantment!
That doesn't make it that much more legitimate.

Then, the inevitable happens. One of the caravan-people just walks up to the noisy people arguing about setting one of their carts on fire. You're just on the back of the cart, peering inside. Nobody's sleeping inside, either, nothing in the way of souls. You need to walk carefully, though. When you're soulsighting, the whole world looks extremely dark and shadowy, as if everything is getting pulled upwards in strands. It's possible to navigate, sure, but you can't see much other than the souls. You hear the angry voice of somebody new, though
Hey, I don't mind you folks doing your thing, but I'd appreciate it if you could at least not do it when we're sleeping.
Gah, shite... Look, I'll go ahead n' admit it. I think yer cart's been mimicked. I was goin' ta burn it before it chomps one of you folk.
WHAT!?
You turn the cart, to help out in the discussion and possibly save the dwarf from getting himself lynched. You see the different souls floating around, and note that they're a bit more flickery when they the owner is flustered or angry. Interesting... You can't see the soul of man that's talking, however. You switch back to your normal sighting and...
You turn the soulsight back on. Then you turn it off as you feel a cold pit in your stomach form. You swallow some spit as you almost fearfully ask:
Sir... Why don't you have a soul?

The man turns around with an almost animalistic look. His mouth is stretched in a toothy grin, though you feel it's not because he's happy in any sense of the word. This is just to show teeth. You switch your sight again, and sure enough, there's nothing.
I can't see his soul! What the hell is-
EVERYBODY GET THE FOK BACK!
What happens next is as fast as it is horrible. The man roars at you, and begins shaking violently as you reach for your sword. You remove it from your belt, and just as you look back up at the man, you see a cloud of gore and blood spurt out of him as his chest voilently crack and pops open! His human head flops to the side like wasted meat as the ribs crack and snap into more sharpened, bony fragments forming a twisted idea of a mouth. You scream in horror and anger as it rushes towards you at impossible speeds. As you left your shield behind with your armor, you can only barely block the creature with your sword, the ribs cracking and twisting against your swird as it grinds away against the edge. Soon, everybody is waking up and yelling at the appearance of a horrible creature attacking you. With a shout of effort, you throw the twisted being back, and stab it in the remaining torso that it has. Horrifyingly, even the intestines of the creature fight and squirm, grabbing at your blade.

Fortunately, it isn't effective in the slightest, and only harm the creature further. You slice away at it, making sure the damned thing can't pull itself upright. but no matter what you do, it won't stop squirming. you feel a sudden pain to one of your legs, and you notice the creature has cracked its leg open and is slicing at you with the bone shard. Your carapace is torn away a bit, but taking a step back stops the creature from hurting you further. At this point it's nothing but gore, but it's still attacking you. Suddenly, you hear a bottle breaking. The creature bursts into flames and despite lacking a mouth, it still manages to scream. it struggles and finally manages to pull itself upright. It stumbles away on it's good leg and the stump, making only a few meters before expiring. Eveline is still shaking wide-eyed, holding two other firebombs in her arms.
W-WHAT. THE FUCK. WAS THAT?
MIMICS. THIS IS WHY I FUCKING HATE MIMICS! the bard yells, in anger.
WHY THE FUCK DID JERRY JUST FUCKING EXPLODE Is the first thing one of the caravaneers shouts
WHY CAN'T THINGS HAPPEN WITHOUT THINGS TURNING INTO NIGHTMARES you shout, more in despair than anger.
EVERYBODY CALM THE FUCK DOWN! GET THE CARAVAN PEOPLE IN A LINE, THERE MIGHT BE MORE! WE GOTTA TEST THE FUCKERS!

With the aid of magic and fear, everybody is lined up very quickly. Now you just need to figure out who's who.
R-right... These things won't be hiding their souls, now... T-they know what's happening. So w-we need to... uh... How the fuck are we gonna know...
 We can't let them out of our sight!

Find a way to see how something is a mimic. Or, alternatively, leave. That will have its own consequences, however.
Hint: every piece of the mimics body acted with complete autonomy.

Stats

Inventory

Party

Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 13, 2017, 08:50:00 pm »

Well the obsious example is to use a flame-thrower to heat up the tip of a small length of wire and stab it into blood-samples to see which blood samples scream when they are attacked...

On second thoughts, get the line to spread out a bit. Mimics are probably going to turn hostile if they are going to be discovered.

Easier way: Magically swoosh their hair as though it were the wind. We can only pull dead flesh and a mimic should be entirely alive... It should be pretty vague what we are doing too... Can't testify as to how much we can do it prior to draining magic either. After doing the subtely check we can then move onto the second subtle check. Open our book and see what delicous races there are gathered here. If mimic appears and elf doesn't, then separate the elves. Act as though the cookbook is actually a bestiary and you are going over notes to try to tell if anythign is suspicious about anyone. Make it clear that you aren't certain and are just going over notes.

After everyone who failed the mysterious breeze test and the tasty tasty hobbit test, then move onto the "subject a blood sample to imminent painful death" test and start with yourself. Of course, not everyone has blood, or even equivalents, but hopefully the drum will know if we have gotten them all.

And then there is the issue of inanimate object mimics... If they really hate fire that much, and they presumably have some minimum dimensions(Ask about sheet mimics and pray that you get the correct answer((Let's not even go into underwear mimics))) then we can just poke flaming torches at everything and hope that nobody minds too much about a few scorch marks.

And finally finally: Just because they fail these tests doesn't mean that they are mimics. They could be demons with living hair, or advanced slime-monsters who leak to produce baby slimes instead of blood. Of possible, keep all the suspect isolated and ask each of them to prove what they are. Hopefully something that looks like a mimic has some sort of party-trick that a mimic ought not to, and we have a drum to know when the operation is complete, in theory... Mimics are presumably bound somewhat to mimicry, it seems plausible that they cannot hold a shape that they don't have a template for, so that ought to help innocent monsters demonstrate their not-mimicness.

Finally finally finally. Mimic rights? Someone would probably appreciate a confined mimic to study at The Orc Tower and it would probably be better treated there than at the tender mercies of someone who just had a mimic try to eat their face even though going all monster was clearly going to get them killed by a mob. They certainly seem murdrous beyond all reason but if there is some way to contain them then we can try that and hopefully resolve this issue by selling the problem to someone else... Can mmimics get high? Maybe Eveline has something that can cause a mimic to lose cohesion and stare at the stars for days on end trying to understand the true connection between clouds and marshmallows...
Read the First Post!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 13, 2017, 09:02:35 pm »

Well, personally I suggest starting off by setting the wagon on fire, as a precautionary measure.

Then use the majick drum to smoke out any more mimics.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 216