Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 186026 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #660 on: May 26, 2017, 05:37:46 pm »

Update delayed by a day
It'll be extra long to make up for it! Also of note, the current course of action is going to be release the beast, but with a bit more attention towards defending people rather than kill, tear, maim and eat.
Not that there won't be any of that.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 27, 2017, 06:32:00 pm »

The build-up to the battle is horrifying, to say the least. Knowing that, at any moment now, the call will come and everybody will have to move to kill and possibly even die... There's almost nothing more dreadful. The people around you certainly seem to share the sentiment, as you see many wizards doing whatever they can to remain calm. Some play with some magical tricks, others are in hefty discussions about the weather, some are sitting on the ground, taking deep breaths next to those hyperventilating. Meandra and her master both seem quite calm, though you see a hint of the jitters in Meandra. Her master has his arms crossed, and is doing his best to calm the most panicky of the wizards. The Order of the Blighted Beak seems much more animated than usual, and they move with such certainty and speed they even make much more noise than usual. They don't care for the flapping of robes or their footsteps. Some are mixing up potions, most are pumping magical energy into the golem, which seems to grow more and more precise and powerful with every little ounce of magic poured in. The abomination looks truly horrific, but it doesn't do anything outside the order's will. This thing will be a formidable ally indeed. You, yourself, however...
Your "ritual" is a bit more desperate and potentially stupid. But eventually, you just close your eyes and take a deep breath before whispering to yourself.
What are you?
The voice seems to do an imitation of a gasp. So you're done being in denial? How lovely~. It goes over into an almost sing-song voice at the end, which doesn't aid in your trust of the thing
Please just tell me what you are...
Aww, Sydney... I'm YOU. Or, more accurately, what you could be. Growing up under a human instead of out in the wild has left you quite a bit weaker than you should be... But the social graces are an excellent plus.
And why do I hear you?
Well, you've tapped into me before. Quite lucky that you would react like THAT to a stressful situation. I always make the best of things...
Your best of things doesn't seem to fit my idea of it.
Oh, shush. That's the human indoctrination talking! Your devouring of the lesser ones is something to revel in! There's nothing better for showing them their place. Food. It's a primal fear, you know.
...You're... I'm evil. You feel your heart sink at the realization. You're some kind of cartoonish villain!
Oh, Sydney... Please. Look, how about this. With your recent alteration, I've become more pronounced in your psyche, but the fact I'm just a voice says enough, no? Though I could be much, much more! I could take over, you know?
You almost recoil in shock at the sound of that. T-take over!? You shout, causing some people to whip around and look at you.
No,no... You misunderstand. I'll only take over if you let me. I wouldn't dream of keeping this wonderful body to just myself! Look at us, powerful, beautiful...
 and TWO equals that can share it! I can just take over where it's too difficult for you. I can do everything you could, but better. It's just instincts, dear. There's all manner of blocks and mannerisms that hold back your true power, and I am able to unleash all of that. Don't think I mean any disrespect, however... You're far, far smarter than I am.
 I won't deny it. That's why you must keep control. Consider me an... ace in the hole.

If I wanted to kill my friends, maybe!
No, don't worry! You've got far more control since your last mutation. I'll do whatever you suggest. Mostly, at least. I still need some elbow room. I won't harm anybody you don't want harmed. If you want proof, just let me out right now!
You must think I'm stupid
Quite the contrary, dearest. I swear, I'll defend our weak and puny allies where I can. Come on. I know you're curious
I can't exactly hide that, can I? You can't deny it. The idea of just completely cutting loose, and not having to deal with the stress of battle. After the last few days...

You take a deep breath, and tell her to get it over with. It's an almost electric feeling, and your vision blurs as...
Oh, this is much better!
Sydney stretches her arm, every feeling a new and unique sensation. The massage from yesterday did absolute wonders, it can't be denied. That Kitsune knows what she doing... Sydney almost didn't catch her true form, but your insight is amplified when it comes to Sydney. Not to mention, her carapace is just that little bit thicker and pointier. Sydney's fingers twitch and twist as the claws set in. The change is quite physical now, but people won't notice unless somebody tells them. Nobody wants to admit they didn't pay attention to you properly, after all! Sydney moves back to Eveline and Meandra, who seem to be standing next to eachother, not sure what to say. With a smile on her face, she steps forward and yells Sup bitches! Who's ready for a fight! as she opens her arms widely in an exaggerated manner. If you were 100 percent conscious, you'd mentally facepalm. The two friends look at Sydney like she sprouted a second head. Meandra is the first to speak. I don't think anybody is? We're all a bit nervous. Except you, I suppose. I guess you were hyping yourself up? Kind of a dorky habit, I gotta say..
Hmpf. How rude. If it works, it's fine, no?
Alright? Eveline adds, still looking confused. Whatever helps you stay calm. You did have a bit of an outburst, so I understand you doing something like that. I did some silly thing myself during my stay with The Count. She looks away, into the distance. Something interesting about her past? Lovely~

Almost immediately after, a guard comes in. He yells that the battle is about to begin, and that the movement starts now! Sydney rubs her hand in anticipation, not even trying to conceal her smile. Most people don't even notice, and the march begins. To call it clumsy would be an understatement, as the lumbering meat-golem from the beakheads almost tramples some people with it's wide movements. It's so massive, people need to keep a big distance to avoid getting clotheslined by the thing. Not to mention, the line is far from ordered. The only certain part is Meandra and her master walking at the front, and Sydney having a lot of space to herself. Her smile is weirding people out enough to stay away, and Eveline is riding her, besides. It's a strange sight, to say the least. Sydney uses that space quite well, however, gesticulating somewhat wildly in excitement. And hunger.
You see the soldiers standing ready, and the captain is giving a speech. A profanity-laden speech, at that. The soldiers seem unfazed, and when your crowd arrives, the captain finishes up, and the soldiers begin their march. The captain shouts the orders for the soldiers and bruisers to go to the front, so Sydney moves forward, licking her chops in anticipation.

There's a final walk to the sewer entrance, but there are already cultist standing ready, wearing their masks. Some even have the spider legs poking out of their shoulders, meaning that not all of the hybrids went braindead.
How unsightly.
Eveline has dismounted earlier, of course, and the first thing that flies out is the different elemental balls of fury. They aren't aimed that well, so only some of the cultists are hit, and most are unaffected by the pain. They are a little slowed, at least, but they still charge forward, snarling and enraged. They have a hole to allow their teeth to show, but their eyes are hidden behind the occult symbol. There are many of them, but they aren't too threatening compared to the guards. Now that you and the guards have closed in, however, most of the wizards take a more supporting role. No more elemental attacks fly to the battle, leaving the fight to be purely melee-based.
Just the way Sydney likes it.

She charged in at the front, and distracts three at once. With a savage glee, she rushes forward and slams the sword almost halfway down the first one's midsection. The problem is, of course, that it's now stuck. Before the second one can attack with his club, she uses her shield to flick the attack away. As his arm is out of the way, Sydney slashes down with her claws. The wound isn't very deep, but it's distracting enough to permit some time to the last one. He doesn't even get to attack as Sydney bashes him into the ground with her shield. With two spidery legs on him, she turns to the one she already wounded. He attempts another clubbing, but once again the speed is too much for him. He gets grabbed by his club arm, and pulled into a fatal embrace. The drider's teeth tear into his neck, and warm blood gushes out. It completely stains her leather armor, and fills her with an unholy energy. With just a little more force, she impales the poor sod under her feet as she takes another bite from the current victim.

The fight is unbelievably one-sided, ultimately. There aren't a whole lot of cultists in comparison to the wizards or guards, and they're hardly trained. The most dangerous ones wield claws attached to their wrists, but they quickly fall to the guards. The few wounded on your side are quickly carried away and healed by the wizards. Not to mention, now that the flesh golem has joined the fray, the fight is over very quickly. By the end of it all, there are no casualties on your side, and their side is almost entirely eradicated. Sydney has managed to kill seven before the fight is over, not without injury. She hardly cared in her bloodlust, but she did make it a point to help out the guards instead of trying to get as many as possible. This has caused some injuries, but she hardly notices them in her current state. You'll feel them when this is over, of course. Now comes the last problem.
How will you lure out the big-man?

Fortunately, that's where the wizards come in. Many of them come together, and begin a complex-looking ritual at the entrance to the sewers. After about a minute of chanting, hand-holding and glowing, a vile gas spews out from their cirkle, and into the sewers. The moss wilts at it's mere touch, falling off in great numbers. This will most certainly flush the bastard out... Sydney rubs her hands, staining them further with gore. Her sword was left behind at enemy number five, and she killed the last two with er bare hands. The first with some strategic slashing, and the last by... gouging. Of course, she won't be leaving on an empty stomach, either. Most of the fighters keep their distance in respect (That's FEAR, you numbskull!)

Sure enough, it doesn't take long before something happens. You hear a rumbling from below, and Sydney quickly removes your sword from the chest of the last unfortunately bastard. The stones bulge and break apart, just before the bug-man bursts though the ground with a flash of light and begins floating high up in the air! More cultists crawl out of the hole like spiders, forcing the guard to begin putting them down. There are far more down here then there were topside, Sydney muses as she splits a head in two. Their positioning is less than ideal, now that they have to crawl. But the cultists are far from the main problem at the moment. The heavy, cloaked figure in the sky is launching all manner of spells downwards, and it's only through the efforts of Meandra that a group of wizards wasn't just wiped out instantly! She summoned thick, thorny vines to pretect them from the purple wave of energy, breaking through the floor. She falls the floor in exhaustion, but almost instantly gets back up to stumble under the viney umbrella. The counter-attack doesn't take long, however, with the most brilliant attack coming from Meandra's master. A flashing, multicolored beam of lightning burns away at the cloak of the cultist, and you hear a yell quickly turn into a horrible drone as he is forced to discard the burning cloth. A massive wave of fire is launched out, but the prepared wizards manage to shield most of it with ease. Sydney would have remained and keep attacking the cultists climbing out, but she can't turn down a promise. With a groan, she wanders off, and stands ready to defend a group of wizards and Eveline, who is handing out mana potions and throwing the occasional toxic vial into the pit. It doesn't stop the cultists, but their numbers are steadily thinning. Soon, the only threat left will be the flying bugman.

Without the cloak, you get a proper look at the bug. It's head has two large, bulging eyes, filled with splotches for pupils. His mouth is a gnawing, dribbling mouth of rage, with mandibles clicking wildly as keeps making a low droning sound. You can hear faint screams in the constant, loud drone. His body is a twisted mess of carapace, and you see occasional bits of red flesh poking though. It looks disgusting, in short. Soon enough, however, it's shot out of the sky by the sheer torrent of spells and arrows. As it falls to the ground, wings sprout from it's back. It just barely manages to slow it's descent enough, and lands roughly on it's feet. Just a mere three meters away from you. In a daze, it looks around, pupils darting around in it's ugly, misshapen head. Then it notices you. It doesn't even say anything, but it just starts screaming as the most terrible metamorphosis takes place. The pieces of red flesh bulge and twitch, and the pieces of carapace begin to stretch apart. His legs bend and crack, and he catches himself on his hands. No spells fly in his direction, out of fear for hitting each-other. People are standing in a circle, and the risk for friendly fire would be too great. The wizards begin to make a retreat.

The creature twists and morphs further as the flesh pops and cracks the carapace, stretching it in new dimensions. One of Eveline's potions hit the back, and despite bubblign and sizzling, the creature seems unaffected. Then, it charges, faster than anything you ever saw. Without your enhanced reflexes, you would have taken that blow head-on! Even with your bulk and stability, you are blown back as the full-body charge hits your shield! The damn thing is like a massive cockroach, and it's still changing! Tentacles have begun to sprout from it's back, fighting off the guards that came in to attack. In just one strike, they fly backwards, and one poor man even gets wrapped up! He screams in agony as the tentacle SQUEEZES down, and you hear a sickening *POP* as the man goes limp. You don't know what broke in him, but it was lethal. Sydney only barely manages to get up in time to dodge the next charge, still getting grazed by the powerful leg. The carapace on your arm blocks the worst of it, but it still hurts! Then, however, comes the counter-attack! The next charge, Sydney holds her sword and shield ready, and just as the head comes close, she jams her sword in! With that little bit of luck, and that little bit of skill, the sword plunges underneath the reforming carapace, wounding the abomination further! It stumbles and falls, and Sydney wastes no time getting on the creature! The tentacles are inactive under the daze of pain, and are quickly bitten off by Sydney's wicked bite. They tear easily, despite their strength, and her claws quickly deal with the other offending appendage. Then, she climbs on top on the creature.

In it's current state, it is unable to reach Sydney. It rushes and skitters around in an attempt to throw her off, and if she was anything other than a drider, it probably would have worked. Reaching down, her claws manage to get under the carapace and slowly the shell tears off with the sound of flesh tearing. A whole chunk of meat was still attached to the underside of the carapace. Again, it screams, and again, Sydney reaches down to tear. Using her right hand to pull, and her left to grind and tear inside, the insect is rapidly disassembled. Soon, it loses it's ability to move, finally allowing the massive meat golem to reach it. Said golem begins to tear at the legs as Sydney buries her face in the massive open wounds she has created. Soon, with some final twitching, the creature finally dies. Sydney makes some final chomps into the creature, remarking that it tastes sort of spice and... indescribable. Her mark burns softly, but not in an unpleasant way. After she gets off the creature, and people begin to gather around, the sheer EXHAUSTION sets in. Now that the adrenaline is leaving and the battle is over, it hits her all at once. She doesn't mind, and goes back into her cage.

When you shake your head again, you see the people around you looking at both the dead creature and you. Covered in blood and guts, with meat still between your teeth. The expressions of the crowd being of all sorts. Some are relieves it's over, others are interested in the creature, many have a mix of awe and fear, and some of them look at with nothing except pure awe. Of course, now you need to explain why you've been eating people and monsters for the entire battle.

Slink away
This is still quite busy. Perhaps it's best if you were to just kind of leave right now. You'll talk when everything has calmed down.

Find your friends.
You should really check if everybody's alright. You were barely conscious during the fight

Stand there, and try to explain somehow
Perhaps it would be better not to run away from this.

Vomit
Hey now, that's just in poor taste!

Other

Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inventory

Magic, skills and minions

When I said it would be extra-long, I was not joking.
Jesus christ this is four entire pages on Word.
Hope you enjoy it, at least.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 27, 2017, 08:35:00 pm »

Find our Friends, Give somewhat of an Explanation about the other us, Find somewhere out of the General View to Vomit, Repeat if needed.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 27, 2017, 09:53:35 pm »

Agreed, except, umm, I unno, at least where it is right now we don't have to see it, just... feel... it...

Have a very long, very calm conversation with Meandra from a distance that she seems to think is safe.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 28, 2017, 05:53:36 pm »

Ok, so. I should explain this, shouldn't I?
At this point? Not really. At least you snapped out of it on time. Eveline looks positively bored with it at this point. As long as you snap out of it, she doesn't seem to mind. Yunikki is raving about your fighting though, imitating some of the things you (apparently) did in the background like an excitable kid. Ultimately, it's easy to forget she's still quite young. You should ask her age at some point...
It's... Considerably more complicated this time. you say to Eveline and your father. Your father looks on with a tired expression. You suspect this only convinced him even more that he should leave. You put the thought out of your mind and start your explanation.
Alright, so I've gone off the deep end a few times now, haven't I? Well, here's the new part. This second personality is actively talking to me. I've got her voice in my head giving me comments and... she explained to me that she can take over to improve combat effectiveness.
Your friends and family look at you, mouth agape. Even Yunikki's action-based adrenaline high seems to dissipate entirely as you essentially tell people that you're officially hearing voices in your head.
Your father speaks first. It's more of a whisper, really. Oh my god... You've gone insane. I can't... His voice cracks, and you his eyes glint with tears. He closes his eyes, and his tears release themselves. He holds his shaking hand over his face, and sighs in despair. It's making you feel like complete and utter shit.
Look, it's benign, alright? Supposidly, it's my "drider instincts" come to life. I'm a magical race, so I guess this is possible, right!?
Eveline cocks her head to the side in pity, and she bares a patient smile. It's not, Sydney... Look, it's clear you've been under more stress in the last week than your entire life up to now. I get that. I went pretty... odd during my years. But I got over it. Talking to voices and letting them actively control you... It's not healthy, Sydney.
I honestly swear it's more than a mental disability. It only happened after I... I just kind of improved. After the massage in the parlor, I felt better than ever, but almost immeadiatly after I could actively hear a voice telling me all sorts of things. It's not the first time this happened, a sudden new change.
She's not wrong, you know. Meandra says. You didn't even see her approach the party
Drider instincts are very strong, and very specific. It's not coincidence that there are so many drider cults, it's literally in their nature. Considering all the ways drider can be, it's honestly not much of a stretch. Especially considering there are physical changes involved. Didn't you notice how she became more angular? Gained claws, saw things we couldn't? This may just be more than a mental disorder.
Oh, I like this one! I had the wrong idea, I thought she was a wuss! Or was that idea because she tasted death for the first time and reacted poorly? Honestly, Sydney, I thought your social graces were better!

Regardless, isn't it kind of worrying homicidal Sydney is a headmate for the boss? Regardless of how awesome it all was, I don't want to get hit in the face again.
I have far more control than before. And besides, that was more... I don't know how to describe it. Breakdowns?
Afflictions. That's what I called them.
Yeah, that works. So, it's cool, right? We can look past this? I won't do it a whole lot or anything, and you have to admit that it's a good thing we got the bug down as fast as we did.
Yeah... About that. Are you sure you should be eating something that is connected to some eldritch god?
You suddenly feel sick all at once when the realisation hits you. You've been EATING a direct minion from the gestating god?
Hey, it had a very spicy taste to it. We liked it, don't deny it.
Excuse me a moment.

You rush over to an alley-way, and purge the unwanted meal from your body. It's a very grisly sight, you puking up all sorts of gore, but that's why you picked an alley-way. While you get quite a bit out, your full stomach indicates that you still have most of it in you. As much as you dry-heave, you still don't get any results. You'll get to skip dinner, at least...
Your companions are all patiently waiting for you to finish. You're not a quiet vomiter, so they can tell when you're just about done. You're just glad it didn't go through your nose...

Skipping forward!

With the end of this arc, I'm going to skip ahead in time! There are multiple points where you can skip to, but the point is always the same: you are forced to leave the city. Depending on your choices, your party could be different.

Your father's goodbye.
He is going to leave for sure. There's no dissuading him from it, but how you go about the goodbye might just be important to you.

Your move from the city.
You will move out of city towards a destiny of your choice. Depending on the destiny, who you travel with will change. In general, expect a caravan of people to join you on the way. If you go to the wizard's tower, Meandra will be with you.

No time-skip
Continue from here. Your father will remain for a few more days to get all his affairs in order, such as visiting your uncle and finishing up any business in the underground. This will give you more time to think, but almost nothing will be happening during that period.

Stats

Inventory

Party(Undetermined for now. Time shenanigans.)

Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 28, 2017, 10:03:04 pm »

We should see Father off. But how? No idea. It would be nice to reconcile, but the voice isn't going away, and he doesn't want to know...

We could try to show him that aside from the voice, and a certain amount of stress, and bad memories, we are still the same, more or less. Even if there are horrors encroaching all around us, we are still his daughter.

Or we could try to let him get to know the horrific voice. He REALLY doesn't want to get to know it, or deal with it, or accept its existence, so this is the dangerous path, but it might help him to know that the way we are most of the time is not someone who would behave like we did when he decided to leave. It is probably better to be mad than to eat people...

Finally, we could just pretend that none of this ver happened. Spend our last few days together imagining that we were still at the inn. Greet him every morning and wish him well every night. Spend your time worrying about food and chatting with your friends. Perhaps we could even leave for our village and spend some time at the inn, with an arrangement to meet Meandra when she leaves later...

I am bad with the last, don't care much for ignorance, and he might suffer from doubts. The second is a bit too confrontational. It is my preference, but will likely end in ruin. Probably best to just try to get to a new normal and spend some time with him showing the softer side of who we are now.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 29, 2017, 05:52:02 pm »

I want to fix this. You say, eventually. Your father is already packed and ready to leave, in fact, you're standing at the gates to the city. You were escorting him out, to say goodbye, but now that the moment is actually HERE... You're emotional, to say the least. You're having a real honest, ugly-cry after balling up your emotions for so long. You were just pretending everything's fine, for the last few days, and it was a lie you both enjoyed. But a lie always breaks at some point. Your father is just standing there, with his back to you and a sack with his belongings slung over his shoulder. Eventually, he speaks, after a long pause
There's nothing TO fix, Sydney. You've just outgrown me. Even if we somehow managed to deal with this mark and your... instincts, I know you wouldn't be content just sitting around in the inn. I know the feeling, Sydney. You've gotten so good at this adventuring business I couldn't keep you away from it even if I tried.
But that doesn't mean you need to leave!
With my bum leg, i'd just slow you down.
We both know that's not the reason you're leaving! I'm not some evil drider-thing now, alright! I'm still Sydney! I'm still your daughter! I-I'm still just me! You can't see through your tears. People are starting to stare.
...Goodbye, Sydney. Please do visit the inn, sometime.
Your vision blurs as you switch. You don't even know if it was a conscious decision, but your alter ego takes over for some final words

Fine! Leave us! If you're too much of a damned coward to look at your daughter! she screeches, a tinge of hatred spoils her voice, giving it an almost raspy quality it didn't have before.
Your father turns, his face an expressionless mask. He shakes his head before stepping past the city walls.
I really do hope that you'll leave my daughter alone. You disgust me.
Sydney stays behind, fuming in anger. If this was anybody else, she would have made him suffer... Still, she knows you wouldn't like that. And she isn't planning on pissing off the thing she is just a part of. She stomps back, kicking the undead hound out of the way. Some rats fall off from the shock, but the undead creatures don't exactly mind. You were planning on waving him off, at least, but Sydney doesn't quite agree. You'll be stuck like this for at least a little while. So, Sydney's going to work off your stress in the way she wants to. In her frustrated stompy walking, she reaches the wizard's tower fairly fairly fast. Now that the order of the blighted beak is gone, more people are at work in the necromancy parts of the tower. Clearly, they scared away most users of the fleshy-type magics. When they see Sydney arrive, the two wizards that are almost always there perk up. The pathetic little fatties quickly start talking about how they just found a way to make their minion more cost-effective, and that's they're glad she's here. Without a word, a sword is unsheathed and the creature is raised. Sure enough, they managed to add a lot more meat to their imitation meat golem .

The battle wasn't too long-lasting, but it was quite fun. The extra fat and sinew made it difficult to disable, but having to place more anger and power into the strikes only added to the fun. The wizards seemed quite excited, whether at Sydney or the weak golem is unclear. Still, after that, Sydney seems satisfied and leaves you in charge. You don't even question how you ended up here, ultimately. You made the choice to switch, ultimately. You're not sure why you though letting HER talk might improve the situation. She's not exactly the greatest in social graces. You help clean up the golem, as you're still doing some work in the tower as cleaner. In just a week's time, Meandra, Eveline, Yunikki and you will be leaving for the wizards' tower. Yunikki is only following you, however. She has no interest in magic of any kind. She just doesn't have the patience for it. There is just one thing that needs to be handled in the mean-time.
You need to find a proper caravan to join. Meandra and her master are powerful allies, but even they would prefer bigger numbers. They left the choice up to you, as you appear to be the most seasoned warrior they know. You remind them that you're still just sixteen years old, but the point still stands. You'd ask your uncle, but he left for the next city yesterday. He gave his earnest "goodbye's" and "good luck"s at least. He's still limping and huffing a bit more than before the sewer adventure, but he should be fine along the way. You hope.

Well, there's a lot of options available, and Meandra is more than willing to delay the trip so you can come along. So, you'll be able to find all sorts of people to travel with.

Merchants
There's always people traveling towards the Orc Tower. If you travel with the merchant caravans, you're guaranteed to find some interesting locales and have decent protection from bandits. Although, you're still a very enticing target...

Scholars
Likeminded people for Meandra. The wizard's tower attracts quite a few wizards, meaning there's always traffic to the wizard's tower. This is the default option that Meandra would have taken. This means no detours, and a higher risk against monsters or raids.

Serve as guards
Instead of traveling alongside the merchants, you will serve as the guard. This means that you'll get some money out of it and see the interesting locales, but you will have to deal with any threats along the way using nothing but your party!

Other
There's all sorts of possibilities. Really, just ask for anything, and I'll tell you if it's possible or not.

Stats

Inventory

Party

Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 29, 2017, 09:54:53 pm »

Ergh. Scholars sound like soooo much more fun to be with, but would it be irresponsible to travel with them, given the whole "marked for death and devouring" thing? On the other hand it would be the best place to learn some simple offensive magics, and we could really benefit from some sort of icebolt or flame punch or draining field or something to use against some of the more unnatural foes that might not be so concerned about a sword to the gut... We could, its true, really use the money, but guarding a whole merchant is just beyond us right now. We have seen how large and unscrupulous bandit groups can get and you never know how unlucky you will be.

I can't see us looking for dwarven tunnels...

We certainly don't have the clout to arrange our own caravan.

The cult and ratlings seem too rooted to this place, and the cult sort of probably kinda passionately despises us, even if we have smashed far fewer door hinges than the average adventurer with feet...
But still, we should ask the voice how manyt worshippers we have. It will probably get indignant and lie, or we can laugh at it for failing to demonstrate any divinity. I mean, what sort of god can't sense its worshippers?

See hiow the scholars feel about travelling with someone who has been marked. Either they will wisely refuse, reveal good reason to not be afraid, or be suicidally curious about divine marks... The latter two are probably worth travelling with, merchants might be a bit too mercenary to trust if Old Jesty has coin and threats to burn...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 30, 2017, 05:31:06 pm »

After the debacle of your father leaving, you needed a few days to get yourself going again. Although, to your slight disappointment, it was depressingly easy to adjust to life without your father. The barn isn't even lonely at night, consider you still have Eveline around for company. The girl just follows you around most of the day, whenever she isn't trying out new things in the tower. In fact, she even gives lessons, on occasion. She's not very good at it, because of her nervous stutter and shaky hands, but she can get the message across on what to do. It's strange to see her switch so quickly between nervous and at ease. She just doesn't seem to like strangers, from what you can tell. Most  of her students are quite patient and taken in with her. It helps that they think she's unbelievable cute, and the only thing stopping them from petting her is the sense of decorum and the fact that she has a "terrifying drider friend". Your alter ego quite enjoyed the name you made for yourself, and their reaction when you coughed to get their attention. You didn't mind overmuch that they consider you kind of intimidating. You don't exactly look too appealing with the eight legs and all...

Poking around in the tower to find some travelers to the Orc Tower was quite easy, as you're still the janitor here. Considering you still need to deal with the occasional magic mishap, nobody ever forgets that you're quite capable with a sword. The tower is also squeaky clean ever since you really put your back into it. The alchemy floor isn't even much of a problem, now that Eveline is so dead-set on conserving ingredients. Every last grain of alchemical ingredients is put away somewhere now, instead of being all over the place. The clerk at the top, silently pays you. He doesn't seem too glad about the fact that he has to keep his position for even longer, considering Richard, Meandra's master, is going to be leaving with her to the Orc Tower. The original plan was to let her do it alone, but with her recent brush with death he felt it would be irresponsible. It does mean that your journey is likely to go quite a bit easier, at least. Still, banditry is at an all-time high at the moment...

There are all sorts of people willing to travel alongside you. Your mark is considered either a non-issue or an opportunity to gather valuable test subjects (note to self, do not mess with some of these). The implications of the mark are hard to define, so many probably don't fully understand the implications. Honestly, you can't really explain it properly apart from the fact that you call yourself food. Still, there's no lack of willing scholars. And, while it isn't as good as a proper caravan guard, these wizards are still a dangerous force. In addition, many are rather glad to have a physical fighter by their side, in case they meet somebody that can nullify their particular strain of magic in some way. Also, people are rather interested in the creature that literally tore an eldritch being apart to feast on its flesh. On that note, you try to antagonize your inside voice by pointing out that, for a goddess, she sure doesn't have a lot of followers. Contrary to your hopes, she isn't bothered. In fact, she's convinced she at least 15 followers based on the number of people that were in pure awe when she took down the magic cockroach. Tragically, you can't really refute that right now. Partially because you really like the idea of people seeing you as some sort of higher creature...
Maybe this voice is getting to you or something
You already liked thaaaat~! Come on, don't start disliking power because I like it! I know you really like Yunikki's abs.
Telling yourself to shut up is a surreal experience, I tell ya hwat.

The next update will have you travel with the scholars. Now is the time to make traveling preparations. Food and shelter is taken care of by the other members, whom you will meet in the next update as well. Because this isn't that much fun, I'll add in a little extra option

Create your own Scholars!
Yessir, you get to include your weird OC in this story! As long as they're a wizard of some description, they will be part of the caravan. Their power can be whatever you like, but anything too extreme will suffer from the worf effect in short order. (Too powerful characters will be murdered to show the potential danger of a threat.) The Sky's the limit, here. If you want to introduce a race that hasn't been established in the world, go ahead! On the off-chance that it is too crazy(and I plan on being very lenient) I will adjust it so it would still fit. Anybody, active participants to lurkers, can make what they wish

Stats

Inventory

Party

Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 30, 2017, 08:32:03 pm »

Please, anyone, feel free to elaborate on any of these...

Faribanks Shmidtshanks: ? Geologist.
REALLY likes rocks, stone, and the earth. Has long desired a comely golem assistant but lacks the funds to aquire one and the skills to forge one. An avid worshipper of three different gods with domains associated with the ground and its materials and all around rather obsessive even for a scholar. Does really know his stuff when it comes to rock formations and rockt terrain structure though.

Clanra Wildfellow: Doppleganger human illusionist.
Abandoned as a child she instinctually imitated and mixed with the community's orphans, but had enough icidents to know that "monsters are bad" was the typical response of most of the people around her to shapeshifters. However, as much trouble as she had dealing with civilised races, she came to greatly resent her unknown parents and become quite fond of the staff at the orphanage who had cared for her. This led to her discarding much of her natural inclination to eat then replace important people and try to find an identity of her own amongst her chosen kin. As kind as they were, the orphanage did have somewhat of a religious motive, and more specifically a very species-specific religion at that, which she was never able to accept. She did, one day, have the fortune? to be noticed by a wizard seeking magically-attuned children with no stable guardians and was whisked away into a life of forced magical training of the most brutal and generic kind, doing everything possible to force her into generating pure magic regardless of affinity. She chose to unexpectedly depart from that life, and travelled a large distance very quickly. Upon finding a relatively open community of wizards she embraced the one skill she had, despite her misgivings and experiences, and realised that the best way to hide her ability to mundanely change her appearance would be to have a good excuse to do so magically instead.

Bicksto Camsof: Dwarf Bard
Your classic wandering storyteller. Decent navigator and seeks all manner of geographical knowledge, though likes stories of adventure and romance and knows that they pay the bills. Does tend to dwell a bit longer on the equipment being used in a tale than the people using it...

Well we need, umm, stuff? We could probably buy a cart or wagon with horse or whatever and then sell it at the other end, with a bit of luck we can find an immigrant who did the same thing and will be glad to sell to someone who values it about as much as they do. Probably too much to spend on comfort...
We could buy something to look dangerous. We could probably carry an ogres club and anyone who believe that we can use what we carry would be intimidated... Probably too much to spend on theatrics...
Is there... some sort of animal that we could learn to ride? Maybe some sort of cargo beetle or something? Or a saddle with a grooved-wooden-plank to grip with eight dangerously-sharp legs fo those who lack gripping-hips... Probably too much to spend to save on walking...
We could probably get a good idea of what we lack in terms of fighting equipment by sparring with Yunikki for a bit. It would probably be good to have a backup weapon and we could stock up on bolas and maybe try our hand at a sling...
We should try to scrounge up some generic, nay, unpleasanet meat, like rat and lizard or something, and then go to a spice shop and see what the recipe book suggests. A few spices might greatly increase the value of the book. But it's probably too much to spend on flavour...
We should probably get some rope. Rope is always useful and some people have a bizarre aversion to rope produced by a natural process designed explicitly to produce rope, instead of churning up some poor plant and binding together its fragments, or teasing out into a thread the covering that some beast was using to separate its body from all the filth and disease of thw world around it... But getting rope for someone as onderfully gifted with rope as us would be ridiculous, so no!
Can we at least get a decent plate and bowl and knife and fork and spoon ans some sort of travelling table that can, I guess, have the legs removed and slotted in to grooves, with three legs to stop it from wobbling on uneven terrain? No need to eat like a savage now that we finally have the funds to restore our civility...

Or maybe we should just set ourselves a modest budget and just throw ourselves into a shop that stocks travelling supplies and grab whatever takes our fancy...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 31, 2017, 06:22:19 pm »

So, explain again how we're gonna get there? I figure the others would like to know. Meandra says to her master. You only just left the city behind, and you're carrying most of the traveling gear. It's a bit insulting, but you're an excellent beast of burden, ultimately. Your inner voice decides against making a comment, most likely because she's sharing in the minor indignation.
Aye, I'd like to know what kind of story we'd be weavin'. Bickso says. He was the odd one out in the bunch. He isn't really much of a wizard, even IF his drum is enchanted. But he pays for his place, so nobody was averse to his presence. Besides, people are glad to have some sort of entertainment along for the ride. Meandra's master doesn't seem too pleased about having to repeat himself, but apart from a minor scowl he doesn't show it.
We will be passing through the village of Innesmoth, where we will have a short rest and possibly look at the surrounding aquatic life. Then, we walk three days without a town rest, using our tents, then we reach another town by the name of Dunwhat where we can enjoy beds instead of ground. From there on out, it's a straight walk to the orc jungle, where we'll be using the local travelling industry to get us moving. From there on out, it's an easy trip. So we just need to travel on foot for about a week. That's everything, any questions?
I got one. Why are we making these detours? We could get there in three days if you go in a straight line a rough, feminine voice calls out. You didn't even fully see her. She's a mysterious one, all wrapped up in bundles of cloth. You can only barely see the light shining in her eyes, otherwise you wouldn't even know there was something under there. She seems quite attached to her privacy, from the look of things.
So we can enjoy the mysteries of the locales, of course! We are scholars, no? Says the second dwarf in the party. He's an odd one, to be sure. He has the stubble and smell of a homeless person, but his curious goggles that allow for zooming and his extensive geological tools indicate he might be a lot more than that.
Faribanks is correct. We will visit those town for their interesting connection to the other worlds. I'm sure you remember the Innesmoth Incident from thirty-two years back? A horrid mix of fish and humans suddenly appeared and vanished nearly as fast, though not before slaughtering almost half the inhabitants. So,
 clearly, we need to have a good look at this, especially with the growing influence of the Gestating God.

Och, tha' reminds me. I oughta get yer story, shouldn't I? Bickso says to you. You're not entirely sure you want to elaborate on how your ate an eldritch cockroach, but you'll be spending quite some time with this fellow. You'll just have to see how it goes. Bickso decides against pressing you for now, however, as he quickly double-checks his drum and sticks. The rest of the party does something similar, checking on all sort of things. You're fairly confident you've got everything, considering your dungeon delving equipment is still there. You decided to spend a little money on plates, however, and a blanket or three to stop the dirt from getting in people's food. There's a total of twelve people travelling with you, although you only caught the name of the three that spoke up earlier. Quite a coincidence... Still, it's possible that the others will be relevant, later. Everybody seems to be good to go, although Eveline laments missing her handkerchief. She decides against going back for it, at least. Then, the journey begins.
The bard decides to sing a song about the great lass Mathilda and her sword, Enitalag. By the time he finishes his song, which was guided by the rhythmic banging of the drum, you know that Mathilda was a lady that may or may not have stolen something from some sort of demon princess and that Enitilag is the most prized possession of the great lass Mathilda as it was given to her on the coldest night in the deepest cave of the holy mountain. It hung there, suspended by magic and awaiting a worthy bearer that was foretold. Faeries had made the weapon, and as such it would sing all manner of rude songs during battle. The edge was sharpened by nothing but the force of a mighty waterfall over the course of a year, as the hilt was handcrafted by a hundred faeries, and blessed by the queen of the extinct elves with a kiss. It was wrapped in an unbreakable green silk, making it not only comfortable but tough. It would lash out at any unworthy wielder, tearing at the skin until the unworthy one would drop it. The sword later went on to slay the demon king, brought the watery waif of Rubilax to its knees to gaze upon its splendor and also spent some time as an eating utensil during some time off. So, the short version is that the sword was kinda swanky. Mathilda was hardly even a footnote in the story, but the dwarf made it fun enough that you didn't mind overmuch. Faribanks seemed less enthusiastic about it, however, wishing to hear more about the holy mountain, as folklore is the only remaining way to even know how it was before the cataclysm.

After a few hours of travel, you come across a grisly scene. A sacked caravan, with a broken wheel and raided goods. You find the corpses of the merchants nearby, throats slit. It was an elderly couple, too poor to afford a guard from the look of things. Although some things still seem a little strange. Eveline quickly emerges from the caravan, brandishing a small dagger with a precious stone in the pommel. Most of the party is disgusted that she would still loot the place, but she doesn't seem bothered. You're a little unsure of her little faux pas, but decide against saying anything. Taking sides is going to create enemies, either way. After placing the couple to the side of the road, next to their caravan, the party moves on. The mood was certainly brought low with the discovery of the raided caravan, and the bard doesn't have the heart to start singing after that. Not to mention, people are a lot more wary of the surrounding area. Apparently, they had forgotten that bandits love prowling upon people. Scholars aren't quite that experienced in manners outside of their books. After a few more hours, during sunset, people take a break to have a bite to eat. The party is just an hour away from Innesmoth, so they will keep moving until they get there after the meal. Your blankets are quite appreciated, but considering the current meal is sandwiches your plates are unneeded. The meal, while simple, is delicious. A bit heavy on the mayonaise, maybe... When the time comes to pack up, you begin to gather up your blankets, until suddenly Faribanks screams in horror as you clear up the last blanket!
NOOO! YOU HAVE DISTURBED THE DIRT! MY PRECIOUS SAMPLES!
You can only mutter some confused words before he snatches the blanket from your hands and shakes out of the dirt. He is making exaggerated gestures of anguish at the mixing of all the different types of dirt he collected during meal-time, and kicks the dirtpile over in a rage. He gives you one hell of a stink-eye, only amplified by his magnifying goggles. You retort by crossing your arms and giving a look of disgust down at the tiny rage-filled man. It quickly shuts him up when he realizes you are around three times his size, if you count the abdomen.

Finally, you arrive in the Inn of Innesmoth. Everybody manages to get a room, as the town has a lack of visitors. There weren't many townspeople out and about, but they seem rather melancholic to say the least. Not one of them had the guts to meet your eyes, and the innkeeper kept her eyes to the ground and her voice soft as she talked to Richard. You are sharing your room with Eveline, to fit the smallest and largest together really made sense. You end up shoving two beds together to make for a comfortable sleeping spot, and after spending so much time in a barn, a real bed makes for a real treat. You quickly manage to find sleep, although Eveline stays up a little longer to read a book she brought along. All too soon, however, you are awoken by the bundle of cloth that calls itself Wildfellow.
Hey. Drider? I... I heard some noises. Real strange ones. I wanna investigate it, but I need some muscle in case things go pearshaped. I'll take the heat if they catch us doing something, but I really think something bad's happening.
uh... Alright? I'm not about to ignore that, but why'd you go to me?
Well... You're "marked" or something. I figure you'd know weird stuff. Not to mention you're the strongest person in the party.
I'm flattered... Alright, where'd you hear the noise?
Eveline doesn't want anything to do with this nonsense, and quickly falls asleep before she even finishes her sentence. You figure it would be best to not wake up the whole inn to soothe a woman's fear of the boogeyman.

You and Wildfellow go downstairs, and she gestures to the door leading to the cellar. You raise an eyebrow as she whispers to you to hold an ear to it. You decide to do so, after she grows a little agitated about it. Sure enough you don't hear anything...
Suddenly, you hear a horrible cacophony of noise! It FEELS horrible to hear, and despite it being quiet, you flinch from it either way. You jump back, startled.
You see? There is something down there, and with that "incident" business the old guy talked about, I don't wanna leave this to chance. I say we head down there and investigate.
Shouldn't we get the others?
No! They'll start arguing and make too much noise. It's best if it's just the two of us, alright? Hold on a bit...
From some hidden pockets in her massive amount of bundles, she pulls out multiple strips of cloth and begins binding your "feet". You understand that it's to make you quieter, but it makes you feel a little uncomfortable. Not to mention, you're not sure how to proceed...

Sneak in
Stealth was never your forté, but you'll probably figure something out. Not to mention, you can just follow Wildfellow

Take charge!
Whatever that is, you're not going in quietly. You'll get close, sure, but you're here to kill it!

Other

Stats

Inventory

Party

Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 01, 2017, 03:55:17 am »

Are there any other entrances? can you send in an undead rodent through a window(or vent, or chimney, or missing brick...) and use your dread eyes of the unburied dead to peer into the unfathomable? If not then go stealthy.

P.S.
 Please everyone! I am sure that you can add more scholars! I have gotten my terrible characters all over this pristine story and only you can dilute them! Dilute! Dilute! Dilute! You must be resolute!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 04:40:41 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 01, 2017, 01:42:16 pm »

Oooooh.  I've got one.  Let me just get to my computer real quick...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 01, 2017, 03:51:39 pm »

Triv, Ethereal Pyromancer:
The Ethereals aren't really a race, but rather clusters of energy bestowed with sapience. Normally, an ethereal is in what is known as its "unbound" state, where it is simply spread out across existence and thus unable to interact with the universe in any meaningful way. It takes either millennia of concentrated effort of the ethereal or the help of a powerful mage for them to enter their "bound" state, in which they are held within a small area from where they can actually interact with the world. However, the bound state is extremely prone to violent explosions that will revert an ethereal to its unbound form, so most ethereals use strips of enchanted cloth to stabilize their essences. Thus, many ethereals resemble featureless glowing humanoids wrapped in rags.
Triv was bound for the first time 4 years ago, and so while he possesses a great intellect he is socially oblivious. He is somewhat detatched, and seeks the tower in order to learn everything he can about this world.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 01, 2017, 04:42:22 pm »

Does anyone think that this reeks of the old "innocent werewolf locked safely in the Cellar for a night" scenario? It seems the height of folly to do that in an inn of all places,  I fully expect it to be a fish golem, but you never know.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 216