Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 71

Author Topic: Small Mercies (OOC) | Mercenary Menageries in Space (6/[6]) [WARNING: TEXT]  (Read 106991 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Small Mercies (OOC) | Mercenary Menageries in Space (6/[6]) [WARNING: TEXT]
« Reply #510 on: January 16, 2017, 02:43:45 am »

You know, it just occurred to me that our ship is uniquely well suited to facing the Nosoi. Not that I'd ever recommend it, but recall that we have 0 armor and tons of shielding, so assuming that string thing is an energy weapon we should be... "fine," relative to the baseline condition of dying instantly with no save.

Also Khate is totally preening under her armor. "Khate this isn't a TV show," "Khate you can't just conscript nearby children into soldiers," "Khate literally nobody is excited to go kill people with you," I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF OUR GUEST STARS ENTERING STAGE RIGHT.
I hope you're all not too late to make a guest appearance back at home ._.
It's 3 of us and our ship versus some thugs with strange, classy accents. And machine guns. We could also do with a waitlister cameo now :P ...save us

...Now that I recall, Draig: We do have electronic warfare in our ship right? Give that our range to the hangar is...just already 'inside' our ship, can I do a quick scan and subtly affect stuff in there?
I also recall that Sadish is armed with non-emp-able weaponry, focusing more on biological stuff so she's totally safe.

...Oooo, dire circumstances bring creative necessity. But I'd like to hear from anyone about this though .-.

DigitalHellhound: Mind chatting Boris up with me? :P I can't wait to hear from Sadish (and Draig: DO we know what's going on in the hangar .-.)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:46:36 am by Tiruin »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 16, 2017, 08:08:43 am »

Our comms drone is right there with Sadish - I'm pretty sure we can hear/see everything that's happening there.

Uh, remind me why we even sent Sadish and not just the drone? This strikes me as putting our crew member at risk for no real reason.

You know, it just occurred to me that our ship is uniquely well suited to facing the Nosoi. Not that I'd ever recommend it, but recall that we have 0 armor and tons of shielding, so assuming that string thing is an energy weapon we should be... "fine," relative to the baseline condition of dying instantly with no save.

Uh, so what you're saying is 'you should totally go with your bluff of shooting at the Nosoi if Mickaw double-crosses us', huh? Somehow I feel like countering a threat to blow up the Reunion with another threat to blow up the Reunion isn't going to work, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 16, 2017, 09:44:07 am »

Diplomacy time is probably the best option, yes, if venting the hangar fails. Venting is a good option, assuming Sadish can be saved somehow.

There's always a way :P
I mean, this is just the beginning--we're just discovering how gritty this context is!

...But nobody has tried humoring them yet though. Draig: Do you roll for most/all things?

Also I seriously did think the hangar was closed and requires authentication to open. :I

Chemical slugthrowers are stupidly difficult to detect, not without dumping enough x-ray radiation on the ship to sterilize most of the crew. A gun is really just a chunk of metal. Gunpowder (even a slightly nicer version of it) is unremarkable in the extreme. A shuttle is not a piece of luggage going through an airport scanner, nor can you even do a thermal sweep like you could against a ground installation (with varying levels of success).

If they'd been carrying energy weapons, had been using personal shields, or really been doing much else to generate any sort of electronic effect, you might have been able to get something from the Reunion's advertisements systems trying to pick out the equivalent of a cellphone, but they're all analog. (Because it's the cheapest way to get past scans)

This does also imply that the bomb is a relatively stable one, but also one that does not rely on electricity.

As for your hangar... They requested permission to dock, you granted it. I thought about whether you'd have to authenticate to let Mickaw out, but I figured that would really only slow things down and generate an unnecessary 'open the doors' action. Since Sadish went down to meet them personally, the assumption is that you let them onto your ship. After all, the alternative involves a lot of jumping and holding of breath- which typically doesn't work well in space.

...Now that I recall, Draig: We do have electronic warfare in our ship right? Give that our range to the hangar is...just already 'inside' our ship, can I do a quick scan and subtly affect stuff in there?
DigitalHellhound: Mind chatting Boris up with me? :P I can't wait to hear from Sadish (and Draig: DO we know what's going on in the hangar .-.)

Indeed you can. Machine guns, regrettably, aren't terribly hackable, but the idea is right. You can certainly attempt to break into their shuttle systems.

The drone was linked to the Reunion's comms, so yes, you have eyes and ears down there, and there are probably a couple of cameras down in the hangar from its days as a parking garage.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 17, 2017, 02:14:51 am »

Missed this due to absence, but will try to catch up and post today.

Edit: crikey
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:48:09 am by lawastooshort »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 17, 2017, 05:01:34 am »

Diplomacy time is probably the best option, yes, if venting the hangar fails. Venting is a good option, assuming Sadish can be saved somehow.

There's always a way :P
I mean, this is just the beginning--we're just discovering how gritty this context is!

...But nobody has tried humoring them yet though. Draig: Do you roll for most/all things?

Also I seriously did think the hangar was closed and requires authentication to open. :I

Chemical slugthrowers are stupidly difficult to detect, not without dumping enough x-ray radiation on the ship to sterilize most of the crew. A gun is really just a chunk of metal. Gunpowder (even a slightly nicer version of it) is unremarkable in the extreme. A shuttle is not a piece of luggage going through an airport scanner, nor can you even do a thermal sweep like you could against a ground installation (with varying levels of success).

If they'd been carrying energy weapons, had been using personal shields, or really been doing much else to generate any sort of electronic effect, you might have been able to get something from the Reunion's advertisements systems trying to pick out the equivalent of a cellphone, but they're all analog. (Because it's the cheapest way to get past scans)

This does also imply that the bomb is a relatively stable one, but also one that does not rely on electricity.

As for your hangar... They requested permission to dock, you granted it. I thought about whether you'd have to authenticate to let Mickaw out, but I figured that would really only slow things down and generate an unnecessary 'open the doors' action. Since Sadish went down to meet them personally, the assumption is that you let them onto your ship. After all, the alternative involves a lot of jumping and holding of breath- which typically doesn't work well in space.
I was panicky when I grumped about the hangar, sorry ^ ^ Also no pressure there--I'm enjoying this tension!

Also I had an idea, is it possible to...calibrate[/MassEffectReference] our sensors to search the shuttle with reference to archived catalogs? :P Like, those guns, that 'bomb'? As in like 'switching scan type to "derive by archive" since we're a marketing ship? It may be a long shot since we-...were a cruise resort liner, but I do hope that-
...I just realized an action I should've done back on that information station! :I Update archives on all marketing spectrums!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 17, 2017, 01:38:56 pm »

Hell, he was pretty sure there was a sticky note somewhere that already had the command sequence worked out.

Well, we might as well abandon ship. No way that's getting solved.

I'm more interested in if venting the hangar would blast the shuttle and bomb outside through the magic of explosive decompression. I imagine they can lock the thing onto the floor somehow, though.

Tempted to fly the drone in Mickaw's face and blow it all to hell. This ship is way too shiny and functional for Boris' tastes anyway. A new hole in her side would just add character.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 17, 2017, 01:44:35 pm »

Uh, remind me why we even sent Sadish and not just the drone? This strikes me as putting our crew member at risk for no real reason.

I/Sadish was bored. :P Both OOC/IC. Also having eyes/ears/a brain might allow us to defuse a situation that would otherwise develop the wrong way.

I didn't count on having a crazy man who ignores everything I say to him, though.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 17, 2017, 01:52:10 pm »

I want to believe the goats we were promised do in fact exist and will prove somehow critical in our inevitable triumph.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 17, 2017, 01:56:16 pm »

I/Sadish was bored. :P Both OOC/IC. Also having eyes/ears/a brain might allow us to defuse a situation that would otherwise develop the wrong way.

I didn't count on having a crazy man who ignores everything I say to him, though.

He's not ignoring you... He's just a wee bit panicky. :/
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 17, 2017, 02:23:24 pm »

I want to believe the goats we were promised do in fact exist and will prove somehow critical in our inevitable triumph.

I think the Exile Star was a Red Herring.

*solves the plot*

He's not ignoring you... He's just a wee bit panicky. :/

We should have sent in a psychologist, not a diplomat! Unfortunately, Sadish is neither...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 17, 2017, 03:00:53 pm »

Do we, like... have some reason to suspect the superdeathplague is on board douchebagstealthship? I may have missed something.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 17, 2017, 03:28:36 pm »

Do we, like... have some reason to suspect the superdeathplague is on board douchebagstealthship? I may have missed something.

The registration names were the same as the ones Khate found on Grenac's black box. (Nosoi==Nosoi)

@Dwarmin: I feel like I need to make Sadish a mug of hot cocoa after being that mean to her.
---

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 17, 2017, 03:39:45 pm »

I admit, if I know he was gonna be a jerk, we should have sent the metal man. :P Tho I do sympathize.

I also admit I don't know what to do.

Hey, let's leave half the active players to die horribly on the death station! Do we have a wait list? Otherwise this guy is gonna blow up the ship! Or probably just Sadish!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 17, 2017, 03:45:52 pm »

Hey, let's leave half the active players to die horribly on the death station! Do we have a wait list? Otherwise this guy is gonna blow up the ship! Or probably just Sadish!

Stop reading my notes.

Hey, but at least you got some exposition, right?

I don't write jerks often, but, yes, perhaps Boris would have been better in a fight see who could jerk off to... wait, no. Boris would have been better to deal with the shuttle since he's more qualified to beat them all off and... wait, wait. My brain keeps making innuendos where none should exist.
---

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 17, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »

Yeah, it helped.

All I know is my character went from mostly useless, to actively useless. She's not really a mercenary, not cut out for grimdark scifi, which is most of what we're doing. It's literally not her genre-she'd rather be off exploring exotic worlds and having 'adventure', than talking with a crazy guy in a hangar and trying to steal things and shoot people, which is what most of the other crew is good at. I don't really see much of that other thing happening, since it seems we're getting some sort of big galaxy wide alien invasion/political plot now. Hell, she's not even welcome as comic relief, in this universe everything is depressing.

I am honestly thinking I might have made the wrong sort of character for your game. She'd be great on board the Enterprise. Aboard the Nostromo, not very useful.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:17:12 pm by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 71