Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 71

Author Topic: Small Mercies (OOC) | Mercenary Menageries in Space (6/[6]) [WARNING: TEXT]  (Read 106953 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Small Mercies (OOC) | Mercenary Menageries in Space (6/[6]) [WARNING: TEXT]
« Reply #540 on: January 18, 2017, 02:16:02 pm »

Sadish will... run really fast after that?

I don't know how fast whales can run. :P

Sadish will help with punching when I spring in to rescue her, maybe?

Barbarism!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 18, 2017, 03:00:10 pm »

Nice plan, DH.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 18, 2017, 04:38:08 pm »

You might be able to cauterise the wound, perhaps, King Murdoc?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #543 on: January 18, 2017, 04:41:21 pm »

I had considered cauterization, but 1. I am lacking in the medical knowledge that Scarlet possesses and 2. it would fucking hurt, which could possibly make matters worse due to shock and all that
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 18, 2017, 05:04:15 pm »

Hang on a mo', giving you a quick action to describe what Scarlet probably had in her pockets, and what she thinks of the wound.

Super glue, tape, and stickers. The medical supplies of champions.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:09:54 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 18, 2017, 07:22:52 pm »

I'M NOT PANICKING YOU'RE PANICKING

hey it recently occurred to me what if Rainbows wants the Star so he can infest it with Vera and then mutate the Tiamen into hideous servants of his dire will but without as much objection since it's the Blessings of the Star

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Also regardless of whether it's a good plan or not that's a very Boris plan.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 18, 2017, 08:09:36 pm »

...Although I'm really intrigued in how someone could own a PLANETOID. :P

Pretty easily. Same way one can own a company, or a plantation, or be supreme leader of a country. Money, and the power to keep everyone else in line. It's all a matter of scale.

Also, Bore jumping and size: Small scale (non attack) vessels typically don't mount their own bore drives, but larger vessels can open bore's of most any size. The trouble is that the  ENTER side of the bore has to be relatively close to the generating vessel, while the EXIT can be arbitrarily far away. So, tearing off a chunk of the station would not help, since the limiting  factor is not the size of the ship, but the fact that no one there is generating a bore that it can use to get back to the reunion.

Now, if some ship at the station were to generate a bore pointed at the Reunion, that might make things much faster.
o_O
O_o
How's generating a bore the size of the hangar slot where the sled was parked work out then?
And that's by which I say 'send in the bomb'. Now if we could however HACK a ship system to bore the sled out to us, that'd be nice :I
But I lack contacts!
Unless...

Posted!

Also random thought: # of silly Tiruin ideas = >1
I'M NOT PANICKING YOU'RE PANICKING

hey it recently occurred to me what if Rainbows wants the Star so he can infest it with Vera and then mutate the Tiamen into hideous servants of his dire will but without as much objection since it's the Blessings of the Star

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Also regardless of whether it's a good plan or not that's a very Boris plan.
> Ram ship into station, generate bore drive, get out. :D
Though I do wish our electronic warfare suite can actually bug out one of the nearer ships to bore our sled back I:
I mean, we technically CAN send the shuttle back to the station or at least bore a trajectory course of it there. But...I'm not sure how-I should ask.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:18:24 pm by Tiruin »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 18, 2017, 08:17:35 pm »

As in? I'm not sure what you mean. Generating a bore the size of the slide is pretty easy for a Bore drive. The bomblets that the Reunion teleports as part of its weapon's payload are probably person size, so the low size is not the issue.

Generating a bore large enough to fit the sled through is relatively easy. This was, after all, how the portion of the Reunion that was once a carrier used to deploy its fighters/bombers.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 18, 2017, 08:29:44 pm »

As in? I'm not sure what you mean. Generating a bore the size of the slide is pretty easy for a Bore drive. The bomblets that the Reunion teleports as part of its weapon's payload are probably person size, so the low size is not the issue.

Generating a bore large enough to fit the sled through is relatively easy. This was, after all, how the portion of the Reunion that was once a carrier used to deploy its fighters/bombers.
So...how goes 'bore in bomblets + shuttle (IN THE LEAST THEY CAN MOVE THE BLOODY BOMB)' and reverse bore work? :P I'm somewhat thinking 'bore in bomblets, disrupt [things in need of being disrupted], probably do not anger big cthulu-plot-creature-we've-no-idea-about, save away team and get OUUUUT, enjoy popcorn?'

We seriously just need to communicate a station-side ship to do that 'reverse' bore, huh? :<

Now I seriously want a bore-capable tiny ship so we can do 'teleport attaaaaaaack!' and stuff :I
...You do give us free reign to do upgrades right? Or at least have a list of possible upgrades? :P

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 18, 2017, 09:43:22 pm »

Oh, I see. You don't want to try and bore something directly back into the hangar. Remember that anything but a 100% perfect bore gives off a radiation surge when the it opens (aperture bloom), and that transferring through solid matter/energy shields and/or into atmosphere is hard. You'd probably just want to set up the bore so that whoever you contact opens the entrance just past the station, and exit aperture opens on the approach to the hangar, outside the Reunion's shield envelope.

:P

While the Reunion and the Flounder are both space stations, they're on slightly different scales. So ramming one into the other and trying to bore out with the entire thing would put a lot of stress on the drive and the reactor, and by a lot, I mean Atlas crushing amounts of stress.

So...how goes 'bore in bomblets + shuttle (IN THE LEAST THEY CAN MOVE THE BLOODY BOMB)' and reverse bore work? :P I'm somewhat thinking 'bore in bomblets, disrupt [things in need of being disrupted], probably do not anger big cthulu-plot-creature-we've-no-idea-about, save away team and get OUUUUT, enjoy popcorn?'

We seriously just need to communicate a station-side ship to do that 'reverse' bore, huh? :<

Reverse bore is a bit of an odd term. It's still just a bore, just generated from a different point. You can't (or shouldn't unless you've got some serious power backing you up) generate a bore with an Exit that is nearer to the generator than the Entrance is. But, yes. Assuming there's no interdiction, you just need a ship that can generate a bore solution, which, for a short jump, is relatively easy.

Now I seriously want a bore-capable tiny ship so we can do 'teleport attaaaaaaack!' and stuff :I
...You do give us free reign to do upgrades right? Or at least have a list of possible upgrades? :P

Free reign for upgrades. I enjoy creativity, and there's no hardcore systems, so I don't worry too much about things being mechanically OP.

Most attack vessels have at least one bore drive, if not three or four. The reason for this is that fighting at long range is slow, tedious, and rather like playing dodgeball from either side of a basketball court. Most weapons either attenuate at great range (many directed energy weapons), or can be detected from a long way away and intercepted/avoid (solid state drivers and missiles). To hit reliably, so the enemy can't maneuver out of the way, requires relatively short range, and weapons that travel a significant fraction of light-speed.

The critical range of a weapon is the point at which a target ship cannot conceivably get warning of the impending attack from its sensors in time to defend against or avoid the fired weapon. For directed energy weapons, the primary limitation is not the projectile speed (that's often at, or very close to, the speed of light) but how obvious the firing sequence and turret direction is. For projectile weapons, the faster the slug goes, the less time the enemy ship has to react, and thus the farther away you can be while still keeping the enemy unable to dodge.

Thus, ship-to-ship conflicts often involve rapid knife fighting, where ships attempt to break enemy interdiction in time to bore in from an unexpected angle, drop payload, and get away. The enemy in turn attempts to anticipate opening bores, perhaps fire pre-emptively, and bore into a position of their own advantage. Interdiction makes long range jumps difficult, so complete disengagement is difficult, but 'short' jumps are often still quite possible in symmetric, or mostly symmetric, conflicts. A fast attack cruiser may have four or even five bore drives operating at once to provide with redirective defenses and combat mobility.
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:38 pm »

Oh, I see. You don't want to try and bore something directly back into the hangar. Remember that anything but a 100% perfect bore gives off a radiation surge when the it opens (aperture bloom), and that transferring through solid matter/energy shields and/or into atmosphere is hard. You'd probably just want to set up the bore so that whoever you contact opens the entrance just past the station, and exit aperture opens on the approach to the hangar, outside the Reunion's shield envelope.

:P
Exactly my thoughts!
* Tiruin reads own words.
...Exactly my thoughts underneath my badly worded words! :P
Reverse bore is a bit of an odd term. It's still just a bore, just generated from a different point. You can't (or shouldn't unless you've got some serious power backing you up) generate a bore with an Exit that is nearer to the generator than the Entrance is. But, yes. Assuming there's no interdiction, you just need a ship that can generate a bore solution, which, for a short jump, is relatively easy.
The silly side of me now wants to disguise a response signal or something to let a local ship or drive issue that kind of thing with the coordinates I implant.
But I've no idea how to word that in a way that won't be silly. ._.

Most attack vessels have at least one bore drive, if not three or four. The reason for this is that fighting at long range is slow, tedious, and rather like playing dodgeball from either side of a basketball court. Most weapons either attenuate at great range (many directed energy weapons), or can be detected from a long way away and intercepted/avoid (solid state drivers and missiles). To hit reliably, so the enemy can't maneuver out of the way, requires relatively short range, and weapons that travel a significant fraction of light-speed. [...]

Thus, ship-to-ship conflicts often involve rapid knife fighting, where ships attempt to break enemy interdiction in time to bore in from an unexpected angle, drop payload, and get away. The enemy in turn attempts to anticipate opening bores, perhaps fire pre-emptively, and bore into a position of their own advantage. Interdiction makes long range jumps difficult, so complete disengagement is difficult, but 'short' jumps are often still quite possible in symmetric, or mostly symmetric, conflicts. A fast attack cruiser may have four or even five bore drives operating at once to provide with redirective defenses and combat mobility.
The fun thing with video games, media, and space, is that space is big and vast and dark and a lot of space for space. I like how it's being depicted here.

Alongside liking that you count our 'ship' as a 'space station', with probably 50%+ of it being irradiated and lonely or contained radiation, and in need of repairs. :P Horrors of scuttling mechanoids and drilling drones...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 19, 2017, 01:29:15 pm »

Quasi waiting on Boris.
---

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 19, 2017, 01:32:08 pm »

Quasi waiting on Boris.

No-one had a better plan, so we're doing this, I guess!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 19, 2017, 01:35:42 pm »

I should specify, Quasi waiting on Boris to respond to Kesari.
---

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 19, 2017, 01:40:34 pm »

Quasi waiting on Boris.

No-one had a better plan, so we're doing this, I guess!

I'm out of the decision making process. :P Diplomacy is useless against a crazy guy, you can hope he'll respond to threats. And me, I thought going in unarmed would make them MORE amenable to friendship!

My only suggestion to allow him to surrender, maybe. Because I can't fight. At all.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 71