Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Guardians of Paradise [Journey Month 2: Kingdoms and Crowns]  (Read 7212 times)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians of Paradise [Prologue: I Have Those Reports You Didn't Want]
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2016, 05:23:43 am »

Elythus, knowing that the hag will be essential to his plans, greets her with a nod.
"Your skill at forging is most renowned- follow me loyally, and I will let you have some 'fun' with a few subjects from time to time."

Elythus assigns the forging tools to the Praise caravan.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2016, 09:56:53 am »

Expedition: Vote to set Rations to Generous and Speed to Steady

Orphella raised her hands and sighed. "Oh dear, did your mother never teach you manners? Most unsightly for a god, very much so. Regardless, you are right to be angered; our journey will have to be slower than desired and I'd much rather be gone from this place. I'll agree to your proposal."

Orphella votes to set rations to Generous and Speed to Steady.

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2016, 10:06:06 am »

Elythus inclines his head in approval at Bubbling Mirror's suggestion.

+1 to speed steady, rations generous.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2016, 11:49:20 am »

It is nice to see a familiar familial face. You are well known for both your ability and your kindness. I am honored to be adventuring with you. Moreau said to Essa of Demon's Reach. There is already much work to be done. Moreau looks down at the people of his parent's worlds with concern. Then he begins to act.

Interaction: Establish rapport and talk with the leader of the Fray caravan.
Interaction: Establish rapport and talk with the leader of the Praise caravan.

-snip-

Essa
Miracle: Heal any Praise people who are suffering ailments.
Interaction: Talk to and become friends with the people of the Praise caravan.

Essa walks among the people of her world, which is difficult for a towering humanoid to do, talking with them about their lives and this journey. Soothing their wounds and their worries along the way.

Agree to the speed and rations.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:42:41 am by Roboson »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2016, 11:22:21 pm »

(Revised action post)
The Body of the Shield
Set Artifact to Mourn Caravan
Interaction: Talk to Archer-of-Dawn and see how capable of a leader he is, make sure his proud and greedy personality won't get in the way of a successful settlement.
Interaction: Establish a healthy relationship with the people of the Mourn Caravan
Miracle: Bless the caravans with greater sustenance, requiring less food to go each step.
Miracle: Scout around (both physically and if possible with magic) for greater entities of the Underworld, that might perhaps pose a danger to the success of the mission. See if they can tell us anything about praise with my godly persuasion powers.

Tee'il
Interaction: Talk to the guide, and see if she knows anything about Paradise that we don't (roll charisma!).

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 05:32:39 pm by Pencil_Art »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 03:39:36 am »

Oh, um, just spread the food out to all the trains evenly? Do Soul's people even eat? Oh, just spread it around evenly.
Returning to privacy with the ivory tusk it was time to forge. Imbuing magic to deform and reset the bone into a more convenient form...
Now, to work on a trinket for my first champion. Best to make them resilient, losing them would look bad. Something to endure the influences of this place too... And something to mask them, a champion can gain such an image if they have no past to shadow them.

Miracle: Craft the Mammoth Tusk into The Mask of Vital Triumph. Build arm-guards, face plate, crown-guard, and, if possible, an armoured flared-tunic/dress with a downward-pointing triangle motif. Attempt to have the set retract to just the top-half of the mask when the face-plate is removed and expand to the full set, fitted to the wearer, when the mask is placed on the face and its name is recited. Attempt to have it grant the wearer the ability to resist its removal by applying their will directly to the task.

Its basic properties should be an enhancement to the wearer's life and spirit, granting accelerated healing and and an increased scope of what can be healed along with a resistance to afflictions and corruption. It should also grant the ability to trade the wearer's future potential for their immediate ability, granting a great temporary boost to their general resilience at the cost of a prolonged weakness. Try to allow the bolstered life to add some minor cosmetic effects, perhaps a touch more muscle-tone, bouncier brighter hair, bolder and more defined voice, maybe even a squeak more height, just make their image a bit more impressive...

Throw in the standard "Won't shatter to pieces the first time it is struck with a basic blessed claymore" and give it a self-regeneration ability while the upper-half of the face-plate remains in one piece.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2016, 04:36:20 am »

Miracle: Bless the Praise caravan with increased endurance.
Miracle: Bless the Praise caravan with strength.

Magha
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2016, 07:56:43 pm »

First Month of the Journey: Good Morning To You Too

Slowly, ponderously, the expedition begins lumbering forward, flowing through the tunnels of the Underworld like molasses. You get a first row seat to this, as your guide takes the lead, humming to herself and occasionally swishing her lantern-on-a-stick around.

Travel through the Underworld is difficult for a number of reasons. The biggest, that you have no idea where you're going, is presumably handled on a large scale by your guide. That still leaves the lesser issues of each individual wagon and individual trying to get through, which leads to either a slow pace or people occasionally getting lost or delayed in dead ends and wrong paths. Keeping lifelines to the main group is essential for ensuring these delays do not become permanent.

The other major issue, of course, is simply that long-term travel through anywhere is going to be difficult. And finally, the fact that the realm of the dead is no place for the living. Needless to say, most mortals were a little spooked before they even got here, but now they're definitely starting to feel the pallor of the place.

Interaction: speak to Cordion, Cautious Inquisitive Commander and appraise him and his caravan in a tone most motherly.
Interactions(s): if possible, have short conversations inquiring as to the goals of each of the other caravan leaders and their demeanour.
Interaction: Try and see if there is any interests amongst the settlers for an improptu school for both young and old run by Orphella herself.
Miracle: Protect the caravans from dangers.
Miracle: go around the caravans helping people with any minor ailments or other things that can be dealt with quickly.

Assign all rations equally amongst caravans.
Assign Pharmaceutical Tools to Soul caravan.
Assign Candle of Thought to Wrack caravan.

Orphella was curious and as she had been assigned to Soul she felt an odd almost motherly desire to worry about Cordion and his caravan. After all, the only reason she was here was because of his caravan and of course, the Echos.
Cordion Interaction
6v4: [11]vs[4]
Cordion receives you in a manner that can really only be described as worshipful. 'Excessive' might also do in a pinch: two rows of soldiers stand at attention in a long channel to mark your path, a pair of servants follow behind in case you might need anything, and Cordion himself spends most of the conversation in a knight's kneel.

Cordion himself is immediately recognizable as a member of House Thornfang or one of its satellites, his armor bearing black thorns arranged like scales, and thus strongly implying a connection with Brace of Bones, Goddess of Fortification. He introduces himself as Lord Cordion of Thornfang shortly thereafter, and confirms his relatively high status within the main House. Apparently they wanted to send one of their best, rather than somebody they could spare.

Lord Cordion is an easy read, as he explains himself fully: He has training in seigework and fortification, and his primary interest is in ensuring the colony's safety. He also admits to being interested in exploring and experimenting with new ways to defend and support the colony and its interests on arrival, reasoning that an alien world may invite alien strategies.

His caravan is a little harder to get a read on, because the whole thing's been put on high alert to your exalted presence. That makes it easy to ask questions, but observing them in their natural state is a bit out of the question. From what you can gather, they're all determined to make it through the journey and found an impenetrable fortress-city on the other side. They appear healthy and in good spirits, though it's largely the determined duty-filled good spirits common on Soul rather than the more vibrant, joyful kind sometimes found in explorers elsewhere.

"Will there be anything else, Exalted One?"

Leader Summit
6v4: [6]vs[3]
You manage to rope all the leaders together at once by organizing a meeting of them to voice their concerns and ideas. They seem fairly willing to do so, and open by each giving a brief speech.

Archer-of-Dawn is first. She looks like some kind of tawny gazelleperson or similar, but with far too long a neck. Her bearing is a little on the disdainful side.

"As we all know, it is the natural way of things for wealth and power to flow upwards to the best and fittest among us. I would therefore suggest a series of games between all the peoples, so as to ensure the proper flow of wealth and encourage a spirit of competition and connection between us."

Princess Kur is next. Her hide is a dark purplish hue with speckles of shining emerald. She seems fairly thin, though Fray mortals are not your specialty. Her head bears a large ridged crest, vaguely reminiscent of a pharaoh's crown.

"A new land brings new opportunities, especially for companionship and understanding. Accordingly, I suggest that we affirm our commitment to the future, and to disposing of those mired in preconceived notions of morality from the past."

Chorus is an interesting one. Her clear fusion lines mark her as unnatural, making her position as leader of the entire caravan unusual indeed. She seems fairly cheerful for it, though.

"I hope we'll all do our best and work together. Together, each part is stronger than separate!"

Stemmas is likewise unusual, being some kind of clockwork dragonman. The way he sneers at the rest of the table and yourself suggest the unusual decisions don't stop at the surface.

"My only concern is to be surrounded by those with the will to do what must be done."

Finally, Cordion, who you're fairly well acquainted with.

"It is our duty and necessity to perform the will of the gods. I intend to defend my people at all costs from the horrors of this new place, and will welcome any refugees seeking shelter from it."

They all turn to look at you for what comes next.

Interaction: Talk to Archer-of-Dawn and see how capable of a leader he is, as well as seeing what kinds of people are coming to make the settlement in the Mourn caravan.

Curious as to how the Mourn caravan was faring, Shield went to inspect it. He was rather concerned over the behaviour of the leader of said caravan, who had immediately struck him as having a rather irritating and perhaps harmful personality.
6v4: [4]vs[3]
Your meeting with Archer-of-Dawn does not start off very well. She agrees to meet with you, but at a simple negotiating table in a small tent. She opens by wanting to know why you're here, and insists that it's none of your business when you explain that you're hoping to gauge her and her caravan.

This meeting is not going as planned.

Bubbling Mirror:
Interaction: Investigate all the train leaders of the Mourn Caravan
Interaction: Map out the path we're taking through the underworld. It'll be useful once we want to sneak agents back into Mourn

Miracle: Bless the entire expedition with increased speed (6+2 = 8 Strength?)
The rainbow mists surrounding Bubbling Mirror winded into thousands of strands, covering the wheels, hooves, boots or other means of locomotion of the expedition in a layer of cloud, causing them to move faster.
Miracle: Protect the expedition from dangers. (6+2 = 8 Strength)
Like a guardian shadow, Bubbling Mirror flickered around the edges of the expedition, looking for predators trailing them from behind, ambushes waiting in front of them, or dangers springing from the sides. These were his worshippers, or at least they would be eventually.

Useful-Scribe:
Miracle: Help administrate the logistics of the Expedition
Getting the various train and caravan leaders to listen to her was hard at first. So she settled for giving advice, and with her skill steadily getting proven and a few helpful nudges, they started to come around.
6v4: [8]vs[1]
You slither around the Mourn caravan, paying close attention to who seems to be in charge.

Archer-of-Dawn seems preening and decadent, with a harem of at least three individuals. Her favorite food appears to be some kind of jelly made from two different types of fish eggs, marrow from anything but ideally a specific type of seal-thing, and a varying assortment of fruit.

Chieftain Tusk seems rigid and uncompromising, seems to follow a specific set of tenets known as the Way of Eight, and is generally viewed as an immovable object in both literal and figurative terms. His favorite story is The Wrath of Kuku, primarily about a young adventurer who suffers one misfortune and failure after another before figuring out a better way (whether this is by observation and/or divine and/or mundane revelation varies by telling) and repeating but succeeding at versions of each of his previous losses.

Shaman Sees-Stars-At-Night seems to have been dead for a while now, but the wriggling parasite(s) inside are putting on a good show. He's otherwise unpredictable and strange, but seems to get the job done well enough. His favorite grandchild is Stalks-Snow, a budding herbalist, though you're uncertain if that's a recent development or carried over from his presumed days of not being a husk.

Chieftain Bristleback seems jovial and determined, is popular with his followers, and appears to be a shrewder diplomat than he lets on. He has a fondness for quarrelbirds, lanky birds known to burrow through the snow like arrows and generally regarded as derpy but entertaining.

Chieftess Most-Sacred-Of-Visions reminds you uncomfortably of Father, being some kind of starfish and all, but otherwise appears methodical and greedy, controversial among the other leaders (including the husk, ironically), and in possession of a wide range of curiosities. She's erratically courting at least a handful of young men and one woman, but appears to be performing and disliking the results of some calculations or assessments of some kind regarding their suitability on various grounds.

"A fellow native from Praise, a welcome sight amongst unfamiliar people. I see you have great potential- perhaps I can teach you a trick or two?"

Interaction: Talk to Stemmas, The Rogue and attempt to befriend him.
Interaction: Train his combat skill.

6v4: [4]vs[6]
"Or the other way round," he replies in a patronizing tone. "Do you have business or not?"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians of Paradise [Journey Month 1: Good Morning To You Too]
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2016, 09:35:16 pm »

Cordion Interaction

Orphella was more than a little embarrassed with the extravagance of the Soul settlers but she had to admit, it felt good knowing her deeds had reached far and wide.

"Firstly, I am but a simple wanderer of the waste, commander. This display is far too much for one of my lowly nature. Secondly, do I have the man for you. My...associate is a great builder and will surely be able to help put up more than a wall or two. Would it be permissable if he were to listen on to your building plans so that we can this fortress all the grander?"

Leader Summit

"Well, it seems simple enough. You all want to get something out of this new world and from the looks of it, all of you are more than competent. True, some of you have goals that may differ somewhat from each other, but together, together you can accomplish so much more."

"Which brings me to ask, each caravan will found a settlement, yes? Forgive me for my lack of knowledge; I did not plan on joining this expedition, you see. If five settlements are planned however, how far apart will these be from each other? It truly seems to me that with the unknown state of this world that it would be far better to have one larger settlement with nearby towns, at least until we are secure enough to expand at least."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians of Paradise [Journey Month 1: Good Morning To You Too]
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2016, 10:15:31 pm »

First Month of the Great Journey: Compromise

It is nice to see a familiar familial face. You are well known for both your ability and your kindness. I am honored to be adventuring with you. Moreau said to Essa of Demon's Reach. There is already much work to be done. Moreau looks down at the people of his parent's worlds with concern. Then he begins to act.

Interaction: Establish rapport and talk with the leader of the Fray caravan.
Interaction: Establish rapport and talk with the leader of the Praise caravan.
Fray Caravan
6v4: [10]vs[8]
Things seem to go pretty good at first. She seems pleased to meet with you, agrees with most of what you say, is happy to talk about herself...

...and then maneuvers you into agreeing to do her a favor, which she labels getting Elythus to give her a child. You sort of forgot for a while there that you were dealing with a hive-queen.

You brush off the informal favor with an informal statement about looking into it, but that of course ends the charade and you find yourself face to face with a rather calculating glare. She's still willing to talk, but not very enthusiastically, as evidenced by the harshness of her tone.

"So what did you come here to discuss?"

You're reminded that hive-queens tend to view gods as harsh overlords and powerful fools to be wrenched off their throne. Getting on one's good side was never your specialty even as a mortal-inspiring agent, and being a full deity now might complicate things even further.

Praise Caravan
6v4: [4]vs[2]
Your meeting with Stemmas doesn't go much better, but it at least collapses immediately rather than looking like it was going okay for a while there. He seems displeased to see you, and you're not sure why but you can hazard a guess. The draconic features and clockwork nature point heavily to being related to Organum, and there's a nonzero chance Jakaka was involved instead or as well. Neither is very fond of... well, much of anything, for the most part.

How and why such a being would end up as leader of the entire caravan is entirely baffling, of course, but for now you have to deal with him.

"I assume there is a reason for this intrusion?"

Miracle: Protect the caravans from dangers.
Miracle: go around the caravans helping people with any minor ailments or other things that can be dealt with quickly.

Assign all rations equally amongst caravans.
Assign Pharmaceutical Tools to Soul caravan.
Assign Candle of Thought to Wrack caravan.
[/b]
Protection: 6+2: [7] You apply a gentle, fluid shield to the entire expedition. It'll dissipate on its own by month's end, but otherwise should protect against overt disasters like rockfalls. It might or might not defend against whispering voices from beyond, and you doubt its effectiveness against most creatures of the dead but they might avoid it anyway.

Healing: 6+2: [10] The caravan was already healthy, so your efforts weren't terribly necessary. They are, however, terribly appreciated, and fixing up every minor scrape and pain turns an already enthusiastic expedition to practically glowing.

You feel prayers of thanks come in for the delivered food, which has a warm feeling to it. You don't feel anything for the artifact or tools, which may indicate not as many people feel as strongly about them.

Cordion Interaction

Orphella was more than a little embarrassed with the extravagance of the Soul settlers but she had to admit, it felt good knowing her deeds had reached far and wide.

"Firstly, I am but a simple wanderer of the waste, commander. This display is far too much for one of my lowly nature. Secondly, do I have the man for you. My...associate is a great builder and will surely be able to help put up more than a wall or two. Would it be permissable if he were to listen on to your building plans so that we can this fortress all the grander?"
"I shall have it corrected at once." Sure enough, a few gestures dismiss half of the standing guards and increase the distance the servants wait at.

"It would be an honor to host one of your servants." It occurs to you that as an inorganic being, Higo is actually a little better suited to interact with Soul mortals than he might otherwise be, as he lacks the... perceived responsibility of being a divine being. They still tend to look rather poorly on charlatanism, but it at least wouldn't be divine betrayal.

Leader Summit

"Well, it seems simple enough. You all want to get something out of this new world and from the looks of it, all of you are more than competent. True, some of you have goals that may differ somewhat from each other, but together, together you can accomplish so much more."

"Which brings me to ask, each caravan will found a settlement, yes? Forgive me for my lack of knowledge; I did not plan on joining this expedition, you see. If five settlements are planned however, how far apart will these be from each other? It truly seems to me that with the unknown state of this world that it would be far better to have one larger settlement with nearby towns, at least until we are secure enough to expand at least."

"Nobody's going to want to share power," Stemmas intones.

"Oh, we were told the area was relatively peaceful. After all, there's people already living there," Chorus adds.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians of Paradise [Journey Month 1: Compromise]
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 10:34:54 pm »

Cordion Interaction

"Then I leave Higo to your care, commander. Should he cause any trouble, mention something about Mistress being disappointed or considering returning him home. So if there's nothing else, I do think that will be enough for now. Thank you for generous hospitality."

Leader Summit

Responding first to Chorus, Orphella spoke plainly. "Chorus dear...people don't always have the best intentions. From a Wrackborn to another, trust me when I say people are usually...difficult to deal with. Sapphire knows, most of my problems are from other people."

Turning to Stemmas, she simply shrugged. "New world, new order. As our dear Princess says, best to get rid of such preconceived notions of the past and usher in something new. Would sharing power truly be the worst thing? Surely you want to live, yes? As powerful as you are, I am afraid that we are not completely sure what could possibly lurk in the unknown."
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:48:20 am by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2016, 02:45:28 am »

Elythus snarls in anger at the Rogue's impudence and lack of respect, and delivers a mighty backhanded slap to his face, growling:
"Business? None with you. To reject my goodwill in such a manner is foolhardy, especially for a weak being like you- anger me again, and I swear on Kokorai, I will rip your tongue out and feed it to the dogs!"

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2016, 10:41:47 am »

Fray: Princess Kur, I am beginning to think that you're not the kind of queen who enjoys a chat with an ally. Pity, I thought we could be friends without the facade and without the schemes. To the point then. I am the god of adventure, and surely no adventure like this has ever been undertaken. There is much to gain from this new land and we both know that. However, we have a unique opportunity not often given to mortals. A chance to explore the underworld. Many a hero have quested into this murk, and those that return do so with riches and power. I have come to you today to request a team of adventurers so that we may take full advantage of the time given to us.

Praise:There is and there isn't. I have come to negotiate friendship. If there is no friendship to be had, then I have come for nothing. Yet if you feel we may benefit from eachother's company, then perhaps we may discuss finding ways to advantage Praise's encampment before we even arrive in Paradise. A band of competent adventurers who accompany me on a quest, may return with spoils of wondrous proportion.

Spoiler: Updated Miracles (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:43:37 am by Roboson »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2016, 07:09:15 pm »

First Month of the Journey: Minions

Cordion Interaction

"Then I leave Higo to your care, commander. Should he cause any trouble, mention something about Mistress being disappointed or considering returning him home. So if there's nothing else, I do think that will be enough for now. Thank you for generous hospitality."
Cordion thanks you in turn, bows, and bids you farewell.

Do you have any particular method of informing Higo of this arrangement?

Leader Summit

Responding first to Chorus, Orphella spoke plainly. "Chorus dear...people don't always have the best intentions. From a Wrackborn to another, trust me when I say people are usually...difficult to deal with. Sapphire knows, most of my problems are from other people."

Turning to Stemmas, she simply shrugged. "New world, new order. As our dear Princess says, best to get rid of such preconceived notions of the past and usher in something new. Would sharing power truly be the worst thing? Surely you want to live, yes? As powerful as you are, I am afraid that we are not completely sure what could possibly lurk in the unknown."
Chorus just sort of shuffles her feet, but Stemmas is far more animated.

"If stone-wielding animals can survive there, I have little doubt about my chances."

Elythus snarls in anger at the Rogue's impudence and lack of respect, and delivers a mighty backhanded slap to his face, growling:
"Business? None with you. To reject my goodwill in such a manner is foolhardy, especially for a weak being like you- anger me again, and I swear on Kokorai, I will rip your tongue out and feed it to the dogs!"
He sputters indignantly on the floor for a bit before scurrying off. Literally; he's surprisingly lizardlike when he wants to be.

Fray: Princess Kur, I am beginning to think that you're not the kind of queen who enjoys a chat with an ally. Pity, I thought we could be friends without the facade and without the schemes. To the point then. I am the god of adventure, and surely no adventure like this has ever been undertaken. There is much to gain from this new land and we both know that. However, we have a unique opportunity not often given to mortals. A chance to explore the underworld. Many a hero have quested into this murk, and those that return do so with riches and power. I have come to you today to request a team of adventurers so that we may take full advantage of the time given to us.
The Princess takes several long moments to consider this before agreeing.

"Very well. I shall have some capable individuals prepared."

She whispers to an assistant for a moment before reviewing what you assume to be documents of some sort; they're on thin clay tablets.

A few minutes later, your adventurers arrive.

"This is Rek, my daughter. Good with javelins, might as well beg for mercy in melee combat."

The wiry individual before you does resemble her mother, though slightly lighter and more athletic. A diagonal scar runs across her face, which contorts with rage at her mother's jab. She indeed carries a brace of javelins, though judging by the squeezing grip on the one currently in her hand she's probably thinking about using it in melee right now. Her other hand carries a net.

"This is Siv. Good at staring at things and pretending to be useful."

Siv's a little on the plump side, but you recognize her bandolier and satchels as alchemical; most likely she's a healer and herbalist.

"Finally, Dor. Meatshield."

Dor is indeed a little taller and considerably wider than the other two, and covered in scars. She wields a massive greatsword between her four thick arms, however.

"I trust these will be sufficient?"

Praise:There is and there isn't. I have come to negotiate friendship. If there is no friendship to be had, then I have come for nothing. Yet if you feel we may benefit from eachother's company, then perhaps we may discuss finding ways to advantage Praise's encampment before we even arrive in Paradise. A band of competent adventurers who accompany me on a quest, may return with spoils of wondrous proportion.
"Spoils, you say? Yes, I have some impudent fools better off fetching me riches or off in a pit somewhere. I shall acquire them at once."

He vanishes into the caravan and returns a few minutes later with some presumable champions.

"Frontline, backline, backup," he rattles off quickly, pointing to the three from left to right. The way they look at him is an odd mixture of distaste and pride, as though they're going to do as he says in order to prove how wrong he is. Something really strange must have happened to put him in charge.

"Frontline," who introduces himself as Judeas, is a well-built man with dark hair and light green eyes. He carries a sword and round metal shield.

"Backline," who introduces herself as Minth, is a slim woman with a bow and several throwing daggers.

"Backup," who introduces himself as "Joss, just Joss," is a somewhat furtive-looking young man with a few daggers and a pouch you're pretty certain is up to no good.

"Well you heard him, glory or death," Stemmas finishes in an amused tone.

Spoiler: Updated Miracles (click to show/hide)
Materials: 6: [7]
You extend your divine senses through the month, pulsing in a sonar-like pattern from time to time. Usually nothing of note shows up, or your brief investigations yield untenable retrieval conditions.

However, you eventually detect something interesting, and leading your crew of adventurers to it reveals no obvious traps or other hazards.

A beam of white light filters down from the ceiling, illuminating a tall jumble of bones. You can't tell where the light leads to, but you'd be surprised if it actually surfaced somewhere outside of the Underworld. The bones themselves are thin, long, and only gently curved, bringing to mind ribs or maybe limb bones. They're also pure white, and have an aura of loss about them. A skull is not visible, making figuring out what the being looked like while alive- assuming it's an actual skeleton- difficult at best.

The other point of note are the egg shells beneath the jumble, which gives the more adventurous of your adventurers hope for something interesting. Alas, nothing skitters out of the walls to assail them, and the eggs were fairly small anyway.

Instead, you dismantle and haul the bones back to the caravans. Each hero gets a rib for their "help," which together are about 1 Str each. You get the remaining 5 Str of ribs, with their ephemeral affinity.

It occurs to you that you have no beasts to tame. You could probably use a miracle to find some, but finding and taming them all at once is beyond your capabilities.

Bubbling Mirror:
Interaction: Investigate all the train leaders of the Mourn Caravan
Interaction: Map out the path we're taking through the underworld. It'll be useful once we want to sneak agents back into Mourn

Miracle: Bless the entire expedition with increased speed (6+2 = 8 Strength?)
The rainbow mists surrounding Bubbling Mirror winded into thousands of strands, covering the wheels, hooves, boots or other means of locomotion of the expedition in a layer of cloud, causing them to move faster.
Miracle: Protect the expedition from dangers. (6+2 = 8 Strength)
Like a guardian shadow, Bubbling Mirror flickered around the edges of the expedition, looking for predators trailing them from behind, ambushes waiting in front of them, or dangers springing from the sides. These were his worshippers, or at least they would be eventually.

Useful-Scribe:
Miracle: Help administrate the logistics of the Expedition
Getting the various train and caravan leaders to listen to her was hard at first. So she settled for giving advice, and with her skill steadily getting proven and a few helpful nudges, they started to come around.
Map: 6: [4] You get the rough outlines of a map, but you could swear passages keep moving around or not obeying the laws of time and space. It should be serviceable for the major routes, though.

Speed: 6+2: [4]
You strain a bit harder than you intend to, and the panic of ruining your efforts sort of seeps into them. The result is that the entire expedition is sped up at... rather considerable cost to their health. What was supposed to be a vibrant journey becomes something of a haggard sprint.

Protection: 6+2: [8]
Your efforts at protection go considerably smoother, a slightly twitchy bubble settling over the expedition alongside Orphella's flowy thing. Yours is probably a bit better, to be honest, seeing as it will coalesce and focus itself to protect against dangers.

Returning to the little ones: I shall be needing champions. No point in worrying over things passed, let's go find one! I'd not put much thought into the qualities to seek in a champion, but I expect they'll need both courage and calm. I expect that power can grant courage, but I don't see much calm being found in this place. Seek out those who are alone, be they abandoned or wandering, we want someone who is at peace with themselves. Ask them about their troubles, we should avoid a champion who is set upon revenge or their own glories. Now I want you to go forth and seek such a person, but try to stay hidden, I would rather these peoples not notice our doings. I think that the best champions are mysterious... But I shall be following you, stay near to one another and be swift to sound the alarm if you are imperilled.

Interaction: Seek a prospective champion amongst the people of Mourn.
 Maybe a homely maiden who was left to tend the animals while their wicked stepsisters mingle with the well-to-do merchants or the leaders of the trains.
 Perhaps that weird kid who wandered off to poke at the things that look like dead trees...
 Could be that old mercenary who would rather be on watch-duty than sharing stories.
Try to find someone alone but not vengeful...
6: [9]
You and your smaller kin, you guess, scurry through the caravans through the month. You find many potential champions, but you don't quite find the jackpot until late in the month.

It's a Praise girl, too young to be allowed to do anything dangerous but too old to be satisfied with that snub. Your minions find her sniping out stones with other stones with impressive accuracy, especially given that there's nothing bitter or even particularly motivated about her movements- she's just hitting stones because it's a way to practice and she has nothing better to do.

Your minions have little difficulty getting her to pet and vent to them, and she explains further that her older brother is an important guard, which furthers her relatively benign resentment and desire to be useful. The only thing stopping her is that she's too small and weak for the adults to have use of her.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians of Paradise [Journey Month 1: Minions]
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2016, 08:28:38 pm »

"Hey hag, you wanna come hunting with me?

Elythus, still fuming with anger from his previous meeting, decides to go hunting for new beasts, taking the hag with him.

((If Magha is willing. If she isnt Elythus, will go hunting alone.))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5