Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Guardians of Paradise [Journey Month 2: Kingdoms and Crowns]  (Read 7194 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Guardians of Paradise [Journey Month 2: Kingdoms and Crowns]
« on: September 24, 2016, 07:51:46 pm »

OOC Thread

Spoiler: Elythus Vineheart (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Orphella (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bubbling Mirror (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Body of the Shield (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moreau (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fuzzy (click to show/hide)

Everyone
The throne room for the Throne of a Thousand Worlds is impressive, certainly. The floor is largely what feels like a transparent metal, braced by white supports over a pool of bubbling water. Matriarch's children, delicate aquatic beings, scoot to and fro within it, sometimes tending to business in Throne, other times merely playing, relaxing, or otherwise enjoying their vaunted status.

The ceiling, meanwhile, consists of massive arches of some unidentifiable white material. You assume there's something between them, because the sky constantly and slowly shifts between roiling clouds and varying celestial bodies. Being located in the space between worlds, its view is understandably strange.

The walls, finally, are just more giant struts with sheets of material between them. What material is a question with a thousand answers, however; the walls were deemed an ideal place to show off Throne's diversity and power, and thus the material consists of everything from mundane stone blocks to walls of screaming faces. Yes, you've seen the actual wall of screaming faces. It's a minor tourist attraction of sorts, insofar as the Throne has tourists.

The throne, which is to say thrones, sit atop a raised bubble rather than a flat surface, to give a more geographical feel to their elevated position and dynamic feel to the room itself. All the king gods are there, save for Matriarch who swims beneath the water. A wide range of deities sit or stand (or levitate, swim, are carried...) along the walls. This is a rather important, momentous occasion, after all.

Moments after you have all gathered, Matriarch rises from the depths. The display is rather dramatic; gods are usually somewhat large by mortal standards, and the gods of Mourn tend to be rather large even by god standards. Matriarch is large even by these standards, which means when she emerges from the water quickly, there's quite a lot of power behind it.

She settles into her throne- the leftmost one. In a conscious, though possibly futile, attempt to avoid power struggles and promote notions of equality, the thrones are positioned left to right in order of joining the Throne, rather than having the nominal leader's in the center. That means Matriarch is on the far left, followed by Okuru, Vanity, Becrun, and finally Throne of Flowers, though the latter is not technically her pantheon's queen as they do not technically have one.

Matriarch then gives a fairly standard speech about how great the Throne is, how important this mission is, and how much everyone can rely on the young gods assembled to do a really great job.

Then she allows Vanity to explain some of the details.

"In accordance with our highest wishes, those assembled are to be given Divine Favors that they may better accomplish and be rewarded for their service." Some of you notice a light sneer in her tone, and quickly surmise that, as a goddess of Being Better Than Everyone Else, she may be naturally snooty... and/or is not tremendously unimpressed with the admittedly motley band assembled before her.

The water angels bring the Favors, but only to the corners of the platform, where they are passed off to more traditionally angelic beings. Most of you recognize them as apparently low-ranking demigods from Wrack, blessed with their divine parent's good looks, winged countenance, and metallic coloration. The land angels bring over the Favors, simple discs of some smooth material.

They also explain the Favors, though most of you are familiar with their general operation already. Throne expeditions frequently use them as a form of currency, allowing their participants to acquire additional tools and/or reward for their efforts.

Specifically...
Spoiler: Favor Totals (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Favor Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Favor Costs (click to show/hide)

Spending Favors is a somewhat protracted task for most, as it requires a good deal of asking questions, contemplating options, checking on what the others are doing with their Favors, and so on. Fortunately there's a truly wide range of beings around, many of them eager to speak to the new gods, whether to answer questions, cut deals, or just converse for a bit...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:35:43 am by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians of Paradise [Prologue: Manna From Heaven]
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 08:39:05 pm »

"I'll be getting a few things for the mortals; some rations and other things to help building a foothold on the new world. Maybe some things to improve their lives too, which means the rest of you can focus on your less...mundane desires."

"The name is Orphella, for those unaware of me. Most recently of Soul, but Mourn and Wrack in other times. Should this new world not be a honeytrap laden with death, I would hope the rest of you can help me with the settlers.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:45:27 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:55:10 pm »

PTW
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:57:31 pm »

"I am known as The Body of the Shield, though you may call me Shield in lieu of my longer name. I hail from Mourn. If you are indeed going to focus on supplies for our caravans, I might use some of my favors for protection. Is there any area where the rest of you would want me to concentrate my favors?"

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 09:20:51 pm »

"Well, let us review our intelligence. Assuming our most-beloved superiors", Orphella pointed out to the myriad of throned gods "have given us everything that is known about this so-called Paradise, then we need only fear the troubles of the tropics and the unknown. Beasts and tribals will likely be a constant threat to the colony, should they not be put to our own use. I'd put down them down as a minor risk if that is truly all they are. Of course, with our intelligence being as scant as it is, I highly doubt that. They likely have their own motley crew of all-powerful gods and other beings, beings who will be quite unwilling to allow their lands to be annexed. Best case scenario, such beings will be amniable to having some thrones of their own up with the rest up there. Worst case, they'll slaughter us all slowly while reading us terrible death-poems."

"As such, I would suggest preparing for the worst. Bring some muscle to protect our settlers, some teachers or relics or mundane equipment to form a militia and perhaps builders and other artistans so that we can fortify our colony."

5 Wrack Divine Favours: Targeted, Complementary Lesser Entity, Higo. An especially minor demigod, Higo is most famed for running construction fraud in the many realms of Wrack. Through ingenuity, craftiness and connections, the glimmering golem was able to scam thousands of well-to-do guilds and merchants into handing him piles of treasure to pay for the construction of a great many buildings. While many of these buildings were indeed built, Higo tended to be quite cheap, using lesser materials and illusions to create what appeared to be opulent or sturdy structures and then pocketing the remaining funds. After one adventure that saw Higo nearly killed by a mob of assassins (quite a difficult thing to see, even in Wrack), he has been sworn to eternal service to Orphella, who uses his actual construction knowledge to build what ever she needs. Seedy, cheap and greedy, Higo is eternally loyal to his mistress for saving him from life as a noble's pisspot.

5 Mourn Divine Favours: Rations.

3 Soul Divine Favours: Artifact, Candle of Thought. A remnant of a better time, the Candle helps mortals in the nearby area learn faster.

2 Soul Divine Favours: Tools, medical equipment. Will be used to set up a pharmaceutical industry, so as to discover the attributes of the world's plants and other organisms.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:41:51 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 09:29:08 pm »

"Well said. I'll look into the muscle side of things. I don't have much experience teaching or with crafts, apart from perhaps the way of the shield."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 09:37:52 pm »

"The shield is a useful thing, especially if one knows how to use it. Regardless, I leave the specifics of what you bring along to you."

"Also, I need one of you to bring along a ration; I can only bring along 5, unless we can convince the bossmen to cough up a few favours."
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 09:40:44 pm »

"I'll purchase the leftover ration."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 12:34:26 am »

PTW

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 01:24:48 am »

Bubbling Mirror was fidgeting, panicking slightly as the potentially dangerous Land Angel gets way too close to him.

"O-over there is fine. Just put the tokens down. Okay. Now move away."

Bubbling Mirror tried to ignore the voices at the back of his head telling how everyone was laughing at his caution between trading knowing glances about the conspiracy to murder him, as he studied the discs for traps or poison.

Then the brutal calculus of survival churned into action in his mind, and Bubbling Mirror determined that the most useful thing to do with these tokens was to acquire a helper, somewhat trustworthy enough that he didn't need to keep more than one or two eyes on them for backstabs. Yes.

5 Mourn Forbidden Favors: Dangerous Material
10 Mourn Divine Favors: Loyal, Motivated, Bound, Exotic, Complementary Lesser Entity

"The shield is a useful thing, especially if one knows how to use it. Regardless, I leave the specifics of what you bring along to you."

"Also, I need one of you to bring along a ration; I can only bring along 5, unless we can convince the bossmen to cough up a few favours."

"I'll purchase the leftover ration."
"There are caravans five, needing rations to thrive. The sixth is for journey's end? Save the token assigned, for through powers divine, I plan to speed our steps, through the land of the dead.

Instead I would request, a healing artifact blessed. To keep them healthy, and so us wealthy"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:10:16 am by Demonic Spoon »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 01:33:03 am »

"If you say so, Bubbling Mirror."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 02:21:02 am »

A large spidery(monotreme that looks like a spider and fills the role of a cat?) audibly muses to itself.
"Aheh... What a... wonderful person The Matriarch was! To see her like that..."
"And we have favours to spend? I... I can get guides of my own! and my champions will need tools in time... But the caravans will be needing supplies..."

Closing with the others. "Uh, Hello. We will be collaborating on this project? The mortals will be needing more supplies?"

2 Mourn Forbidden Favours, 4 Mourn Mundane Favours: 3 Trivial entities, Loyal, Exotic, Duplicated. I shall need them to be able to communicate with my chosen champions. I should like them to possess an unimposing bestial form, much as I used to...
3 Mourn Forbidden favours: Potent material.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 03:06:25 am »

A large spidery(monotreme that looks like a spider and fills the role of a cat?) audibly muses to itself.
"Aheh... What a... wonderful person The Matriarch was! To see her like that..."
"And we have favours to spend? I... I can get guides of my own! and my champions will need tools in time... But the caravans will be needing supplies..."

Closing with the others. "Uh, Hello. We will be collaborating on this project? The mortals will be needing more supplies?"

2 Mourn Forbidden Favours, 4 Mourn Mundane Favours: 3 Trivial entities, Loyal, Exotic, Duplicated. I shall need them to be able to communicate with my chosen champions. I should like them to possess an unimposing bestial form, much as I used to...
3 Mourn Forbidden favours: Potent material.

((It's probably simpler to just assume all of us have heard the entire conversation so far so we don't need to repeat everything 4 times. As such, you should be aware one of us is already buying enough rations for the entire expedition, and Bubbling Mirror has recommended that someone buy one or more healing artifacts to help keep people healthy when he uses a miracle to speed up the journey.))
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:09:41 am by Demonic Spoon »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 08:28:51 am »

"Haha, you guys are taking this so seriously. With some good wine, a decent weapon and a pretty woman, I can take on all the natives with a hand behind my back!"

3 praise forbidden favors, 2 praise divine favors for dangerous material.
2 praise divine favors for forging tools
1 praise divine favor, 2 praise forbidden favors and 5 praise mundane favors for a hated, targeted moderate entity, preferably a smith of some sort.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 01:48:15 pm »

The thrill of adventure calls to those with a strong heart and eager will. Mortality has the strongest incentive in the universe.  These peoples wield motivation greater than any divine. Urgency. Our time is unlimited and we can afford to move more slowly than any mortal hero may. I will contribute protection to our caravan so that swift adventure will claim no more lives than necessary for a good story.

5 Throne Favors, 3 Praise Favors, 2 Fray Favors: Moderate Entity.  3 Fray Favors, 2 Praise Favors: Loyal, Bound, Loved, Connected, Complementary.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:52:19 pm by Roboson »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5