Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Guardians of Paradise [Journey Month 2: Kingdoms and Crowns]  (Read 7214 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians of Paradise [Prologue: Manna From Heaven]
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 02:37:21 pm »

((PTW.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 10:55:42 pm »

3 Mourn Commoner Favors: Artifact - Crest of Goodwill
A rather small golden crest scrawled over with indiscernible symbols. Those who go near it are more inclined to treat others with goodwill and generosity, and those who come with ill intentions are often turned away or forget about them.
10 Mourn Divine Favors, 2 Mourn Commoner Favors: Loyal, Complementary Moderate Entity - Tee'il, Sister of the Sword
Tee'il was a mortal woman in the party led by The Body of the Shield sent to investigate the missing hunters, who after the incident, requested training from Shield as one of the first members of his religious circle. Interested in this request (and partly because he needed reliable helpers) Shield accepted, and with divine help from the God of protection, Tee'il was soon on her way to becoming a mistress of the sword, her weapon of choice. If all goes well, Shield will request for her to be blessed by the gods and brought along the journey with him, to found the circle of paladins and protect the people.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 03:26:18 pm »

Beginning of the Journey

Once the Favors have been exchanged, there's the slightly lengthier issue of actually getting them sorted out. Finding and fetching appropriate gifts takes time, even for a power such as this.

Fortunately, you don't have to wait around for that. Instead, you're led to one of the Throne's many exits- to Mourn. Strange as it may sound to leave a dimensional nexus to travel between worlds, you've been assured that Mourn's Underworld is the best, most well understood way to get to your new home.

Trudging through a blizzard, you are forced to question that claim.

You are guided not by an actual person, maybe somebody to assure you that yes, you're close or no, you're definitely not going to freeze to death, but by the periodic Echoes of Mourn's God of Death. It's a long journey with nothing but the occasional, luring ping.

As you start to get close, however, your divine senses start picking out other signs of activity. Trains of mortals struggling against the storm, peculiar beasts ferrying sacks of something or other, divine and monstrous entities assisting or inhibiting the mortals or storm.

Until finally, there ahead of you, lie the Gates to the Underworld. The thick, inscribed slabs of stone form more of a primitive doorway into a mountain than a proper gate, but are somehow more ominous for it; there's nothing keeping you out of the realm of the dead other than your own good sense.

Even as strong and generally far from death as you are, you still feel a chill entering. It's clear this is not a place for the living. Even Orphella knows she doesn't quite belong here.

After a moderately long, dark tunnel, you emerge in a rather beautiful meltwater cavern, dripping and lit by a faint cyan glow. Standing before you are two figures.

The first you all recognize immediately, even if only by reputation: Eternal Echo of Dawn's Lost Glory, Mourn's God of Death. An imposing figure of silver armor and furs, with a lion's head and mane for a face or helm. He carries his trademark silver staff, the source of the echoing that led you here.

The other figure you do not recognize, though you can make some immediate guesses. She's a young-looking girl, probably quite a ways out from growing to her full height assuming she's roughly human. Her hair and eyes are gleaming silver, and her skin is pale but not the deathly pale you might expect from Death's apprentice or maybe even daughter. She even has her own staff, though being scaled to her height it's more like a cane or even baton for most of you.

"This is Faint Flickering Candle of the Wheel's Unending Chime. She will guide you and all who follow you to their destination. It is unlikely any among you will be able to navigate the Underworld without her assistance. She is also to be your liaison with the Throne; unless informed otherwise, she shall make routine journeys between the two points, ferrying news and small packages."

The girl steps forward and gives a short bow to the group, smiling but not saying anything. You notice behind her appears to be a large wooden cart pulled by skeletal oxen or similar. A ghostly lantern sits atop it, and the more perceptive of you notice her staff/cane/stick appears to have a hook at one end.

She then gestures to the cart, climbs atop it, and gently guides the skeletal oxen- they're very large- around and down a given path. You follow, on the cart or otherwise, and behind you the Echo continues, apparently drawing in more than just you. You even notice a mortal caravan struggling down the tunnel as you leave.

The caves and tunnels mostly follow the theme of meltwater caverns. You suspect that will change later on- nobody can agree just what the Underworld is or how it works, exactly, but the fact that different areas are wildly different from each other is well agreed upon. For the rest, the closest thing to a consensus is that it functions as a sewer of sorts, catching runoff from all the known worlds and supposedly this new one as well.

You come to a stop in a fairly large chamber missing one wall, which looks out over a myriad of mortal caravans trying to organize themselves far below. Your guide just sits and waits, so you presume you're intended to do the same. Not long after this proves correct, as another pair of land angels arrives to hand you several papers- apparently the manifests and technical estimates for the expedition. They also mention your Favors are being assembled and should start arriving shortly.

Spoiler: Expedition Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current Manifest (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians of Paradise [Prologue: I Have Those Reports You Didn't Want]
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 04:10:15 pm »

"Anybody else already regretting not bringing more food?"

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 04:21:18 pm »

"We could always hunt if we run into a desperate situation. Although I am sure the meat from there wont taste the best, it should (hopefully) be edible."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 04:48:56 pm »

Beginning of the Journey

As you mull over the papers, your Favors start trickling in.
Spoiler: Orphella (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bubbling Mirror (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fuzzy (click to show/hide)
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 06:57:23 pm »

"Oh? Higo dear, don't flatter me! Its not like I've been spending all my time doing good deeds. After all, you aren't being slowly melted into some fop's vase or pot, which would be quite fitting once you think about it..."

"Never the less, glad to see you again Higo. Now, don't cause too much trouble on the trip and I'm sure you'll continue to have my friendship and Sapphire's love. Surely."

Orphella knew of course, that Higo was an awful man but she still found some amusement in keeping his company. Even if she didn't, Sapphire's teachings do have quite a bit to say about forgiveness and Orphella was never one to go against good ol' Sappy's words.

Turning towards the other 'divines', and ignoring the existential dread that underworlds seemed to have, she wondered.

"One of you said something about speeding up the caravans. Mind explaining the plan in more detail?"
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 07:35:58 pm »

Moreau looks over the mortals and other divines with radiant enthusiasm. Literally. The shining energy that normally gives his body a gentle swirling mildly colored glow has brightened several notches with excitement. His eyes and hair which normally release a small amount of similarly glowing smokey energy are billowing out energy. Given the seemingly endless gloom of the underworld, Moreau looked like a beacon of light and enthusiasm.

Such divine favors wisely spent! Moreau looks at the wagons delivered to the other gods with excitement. His energy and spirit bordering on boyish and ungodlike. The odd items, materials, and beings were sound building blocks for his great adventure to an unknown land. Smiling after seeing some of the more interesting objects he turned to see Useful-Scribe and Higo. He stopped, and for a fraction of an instant, less time than an mortal could comprehend and just a split second for a divine, his radiant energy turned dark and malevolent. Yet, as fast as it came, it went and barely enough time passed for less than a divine to even notice. Huh. What strange beings have come upon our journey. Surely this story will be ripe with intrigue and wonder.   

He turns to his antlered companion (Vineheart): I agree, hunting wild and unknown beasts of the underworld sounds like an adventure that mortals will sing of for ages to come.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 09:56:49 pm »

The spidery thing looks over its caravan and speaks to its little doppelgangers.
You three are just perfect! When the time comes you will each be needed so stay safe! This Underworld, it worries me... so don't go wandering off, I doubt the locals will be much fun anyway.
Looking around at the caravans, seeing the desiccating landscape, the food stores seem to pale and shrink before the size of the task... Lumbering after the somewhat intimidating angels as they departed from their deliveries...
I, uh, apologise for the lateness of this request, but I seem to have some favours remaining, could I trouble you for some few last supplies?

5 mourn mundane favours: rations
1 mourn mundane favour: basic material
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 10:32:44 pm »

Interaction: speak to Cordion, Cautious Inquisitive Commander and appraise him and his caravan in a tone most motherly.
Interactions(s): if possible, have short conversations inquiring as to the goals of each of the other caravan leaders and their demeanour.
Interaction: Try and see if there is any interests amongst the settlers for an improptu school for both young and old run by Orphella herself.
Miracle: Protect the caravans from dangers.
Miracle: go around the caravans helping people with any minor ailments or other things that can be dealt with quickly.

Assign all rations equally amongst caravans.
Assign Pharmaceutical Tools to Soul caravan.
Assign Candle of Thought to Wrack caravan.

Orphella was curious and as she had been assigned to Soul she felt an odd almost motherly desire to worry about Cordion and his caravan. After all, the only reason she was here was because of his caravan and of course, the Echos.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:01:20 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 10:41:17 pm »

Interaction: Talk to Archer-of-Dawn and see how capable of a leader he is, as well as seeing what kinds of people are coming to make the settlement in the Mourn caravan.

Curious as to how the Mourn caravan was faring, Shield went to inspect it. He was rather concerned over the behaviour of the leader of said caravan, who had immediately struck him as having a rather irritating and perhaps harmful personality.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2016, 01:48:38 am »

Bubbling Mirror grumbled, even as he kept out a wary eye (or several) for the hungry monsters no doubt lurking in every shadow and corner. Fear of death gnawed at his mind. Why couldn't he be the one to do the nice and safe background work and his minion risk life and limb. *mumble mumble*

He felt unease when he considered their "guide". Candle or whatever had "untrustworthy traitor" written all over her. He wouldn't put it past her to lead them all into the maw of some hungry dead titan or something. He would definitely be watching her, oh yes.

Surprisingly, Bubbling Mirror was usually better interacting with mortals than his fellow peers, mostly because he considered it unlikely for them to be able to kill him in one hit in a sneak attack. Of course, better doesn't equal "good", and his insistence of testing everything they gave him for poison put a bit of a damper on such interactions. Bubbling Mirror stuck to his principles however, even mortals could get their hands on poison capable of felling a god.

Thus Bubbling Mirror was spending his time buttering up the mortal leaders rather than fraternizing with his fellow gods, who were all out to get him.

Turning towards the other 'divines', and ignoring the existential dread that underworlds seemed to have, she wondered.

"One of you said something about speeding up the caravans. Mind explaining the plan in more detail?"

Said existential dread was putting Bubbling Mirror even more on edge than usual, and he glared at Orphelia for having interrupted him during his never-ending survey for threats.

"Haven't I already said? I have a divine knack in speed, and am going to bless the entire expedition to increase their speed. Duh. I see no one followed my advice to get healing artifacts, so we can't go at a gruelling pace, and thus have to spend longer than necessary in this underworld deathtrap. Wonderful.

Now stop bothering me! I think that shadow is trying to sneak up on me! It might be a wraith or something."

Bubbling Mirror:
Interaction: Investigate all the train leaders of the Mourn Caravan
Interaction: Map out the path we're taking through the underworld. It'll be useful once we want to sneak agents back into Mourn

Miracle: Bless the entire expedition with increased speed (6+2 = 8 Strength?)
The rainbow mists surrounding Bubbling Mirror winded into thousands of strands, covering the wheels, hooves, boots or other means of locomotion of the expedition in a layer of cloud, causing them to move faster.
Miracle: Protect the expedition from dangers. (6+2 = 8 Strength)
Like a guardian shadow, Bubbling Mirror flickered around the edges of the expedition, looking for predators trailing them from behind, ambushes waiting in front of them, or dangers springing from the sides. These were his worshippers, or at least they would be eventually.

Expedition: Vote to set Rations to Generous and Speed to Steady

Useful-Scribe:
Miracle: Help administrate the logistics of the Expedition
Getting the various train and caravan leaders to listen to her was hard at first. So she settled for giving advice, and with her skill steadily getting proven and a few helpful nudges, they started to come around.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:41:42 pm by Demonic Spoon »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2016, 02:04:46 am »

"A fellow native from Praise, a welcome sight amongst unfamiliar people. I see you have great potential- perhaps I can teach you a trick or two?"

Interaction: Talk to Stemmas, The Rogue and attempt to befriend him.
Interaction: Train his combat skill.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:02:23 am by vishdafish »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2016, 02:49:01 am »

Returning to the little ones: I shall be needing champions. No point in worrying over things passed, let's go find one! I'd not put much thought into the qualities to seek in a champion, but I expect they'll need both courage and calm. I expect that power can grant courage, but I don't see much calm being found in this place. Seek out those who are alone, be they abandoned or wandering, we want someone who is at peace with themselves. Ask them about their troubles, we should avoid a champion who is set upon revenge or their own glories. Now I want you to go forth and seek such a person, but try to stay hidden, I would rather these peoples not notice our doings. I think that the best champions are mysterious... But I shall be following you, stay near to one another and be swift to sound the alarm if you are imperilled.

Interaction: Seek a prospective champion amongst the people of Mourn.
 Maybe a homely maiden who was left to tend the animals while their wicked stepsisters mingle with the well-to-do merchants or the leaders of the trains.
 Perhaps that weird kid who wandered off to poke at the things that look like dead trees...
 Could be that old mercenary who would rather be on watch-duty than sharing stories.
Try to find someone alone but not vengeful...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2016, 04:15:15 am »

Beginning of the Journey

The remainder of the Favors start to arrive.
Spoiler: Elythus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moreau (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Body of the Shield (click to show/hide)

The spidery thing looks over its caravan and speaks to its little doppelgangers.
You three are just perfect! When the time comes you will each be needed so stay safe! This Underworld, it worries me... so don't go wandering off, I doubt the locals will be much fun anyway.
Looking around at the caravans, seeing the desiccating landscape, the food stores seem to pale and shrink before the size of the task... Lumbering after the somewhat intimidating angels as they departed from their deliveries...
I, uh, apologise for the lateness of this request, but I seem to have some favours remaining, could I trouble you for some few last supplies?

5 mourn mundane favours: rations
1 mourn mundane favour: basic material
They nod and return a short while later with a sample cart and your material. The rations are mostly smoked meats, with some vegetable matter for variety and nutrients. They ask which caravan you'd like them delivered to.

The material appears to be some kind of mammoth tusk. Further inspection reveals a faint green glow; you think you've heard of moss mammoths or something.

Mammoth Tusk: +2 Str to a crafting attempt. Affinity for life.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5