Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Through the Looking Glass  (Read 11114 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Through the Looking Glass
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2016, 01:13:36 pm »

Holt's face turns red once again.

"It is of little consequence, as I am sure the grandest and plainest accommodations are near identical in a place such as this. Should my expectations have been higher, perhaps I would have felt the sting of disappointment. As it is now, I could hardly hope what the Port can provide to match the dwellings I had grown accustomed to on my home world."

Holt makes a show of scratching his beard, if only to give an outlet to his anger. Naturally he can hardly be accustomed to veiled insults, as hard as he may try to provide them himself. It takes an active effort to not simply place his gun to this peon's head, if only due to this being how such actions often ended up during his Trial. This peasant will learn his place at the soonest opportunity...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 01:15:34 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2016, 01:47:41 pm »

Bron uses Intimidate skill (STR 42) to get information on cultists, or other rumors that these dregs and such would know.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2016, 02:03:29 pm »

Nathin holds his tongue at the impudence of the this greasy 'Tradesmaster', content to let the Lord Captain exchange verbal barbs for now. Besides, Nathin was sure that, in time, the man would come to regret his remarks and treatment of them. Thus he stood back, letting the obvious sight of his robes and face act as his greeting  and introduction.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2016, 02:36:55 pm »

Bron surveys the corridor and moves off in one direction at random.  As he goes he eyes the inhabitants, closing windows and dead eyed stares meet him back. After some time he hits upon a man in dirty rags waving a knife back and forth lazily.

His eyes are far too aware, they do not match his movements and when they meet Bron's he flinches and looks away for just a moment.  That is all it takes for the brute to step over, knock the knife out of the man's hands and haul him up by the neck.

Talk scum, what dark masters do you serve.

Gehk get off jacklagger, I don't serve nobody.

And you see it, behind his eyes, the arrogance of knowing too much and the sly joy from fooling his betters.

He is flung into a wall with a thunk, low lifes scatter away and as Bron stalks closer only the dead or unconscious are still in sight.

You want to talk to be beggar, I will only beat you, my friend will do worse.  Blightfang gets the cue and reveals the blade on his rifle as Bron looms over the dreg.

The fear on the man's face suddenly breaks (23vs42 2 successes) and he looks up with anger and certainty.  Agents of inequity, my masters?  They will drink wine from your skulls!  Mergh will stand over all of you some day!  His eyes suddenly go wide when he realizes what he said and he throws a hidden knife out at Bron.  It is easily deflected but he takes off, his crippled stance gone as he jumps through a doorway.

Bligthfang holds his hand up to stop Bron.  The animal runs to ground. is all he says but Bron understands, following behind Blightfang as the Kroot leads him through tunnel and corridors, rusted through cracks and narrow wireways.

You both see the two men move in behind you, and then the three in front as you enter the ruined hydroponics bay. (8vs34+10)  You hear end of a conversation:

So I get the reward right?  I found them!

And lead them right here you worthless worm Mergh.

The soft words come from a hulking man who backhands Mergh down to the floor and draws a weapon.

2 extra successes, ambush avoided.  I will have the combat start while the rest attend the opera and after party.

Nathin holds his words as he plans the man's humiliation.  Willpower test passed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:38:53 pm by VoidSlayer »

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2016, 08:18:36 am »

"Hah! Stand down while you can, I rend through dregs like you as easily as I breathe. I have slaughtered 20 armed men with only my teeth and nails. Else, you would only be shown the Emperor's cruel judgement!"

Bron flurries his chainsword through the air, attempting to intimidate (STR 42) his opponents before the fight truly begun

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2016, 05:03:04 pm »

Sierra-Beta had her own objectives on the station.

She had no gun-servitors to accompany her, so she went alone, leaving the lesser tech-priests on the ship to their duty. Good; she would have had to purge any that became suspicious of her heretek origins.

She left her lascannon behind, as anti-tank weaponry was typically attention getting, only having her hellgun and power axe for defence. It would be enough.

Her servo-skull hovered at her shoulder - the skull of her mother/sister/creator, given new purpose. It was her first consrtuction, and crude in design, but Sierra had no intentions of changing it.

Seek to acquire any information on her sisters, or on the construction of servitors.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2016, 09:40:26 pm »

Noticing the lapse of time, Amara decided to utilize both spatial and locational aspects of the station to her advantage; telling her younger Navigator to save her a seat, she took the time to ask around for starcharts and other knowledge that would help her travels.

((I'm unsure which Skill to use from my sheet here in procuring data, like whether it'd be Common Lore: Aurorus Expanse [by contextual knowledge, finding the people who may know stuff], Trade (Astrographer) [I may need details to be able to do this anyway, and I think that's my first step?], or Scholastic Lore (Astromancy)...because there are probable academics around in or near the Opera area o_O I mean I could also ask the singing-Navigator but she's busy, I think!))
Um, use the most appropriate skill to seek to acquire data I can use in making starcharts both for myself and to post in the ship rooms for better use and navigation. Before or during the Opera.

((I guess I'll be sacrificing any spare 'relaxation' to reduce my insanity points for this :P ...unless I misread that's how insanity works))

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2016, 09:59:38 pm »

Anarette is beside the Lord-Captain. If he's not going to blow up, it's simply her job not too. She isn't schooled in the ways of Rogue Traders anyway: She might not even know that being made to dock at a lower level was a sign of disrespect.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2016, 01:22:10 am »

The party is whisked past the crowds onto an elevated walkway that looks to be exclusively for nobility and soldiers.  The trip is far too short to get a good look around, except that the governor keeps quite a lot of well polished guards around.  You have only a short time to greet everyone, with the station governor excluded as he is not present before the play begins, it seems everyone was waiting for you.  As everyone sits down Amara becomes lost in thought, Sierra-Beta seems to have slipped out and Sarvus trips into a waiter and spills a drink on his pants, then excuses himself to clean up.

(you need to spend experience to reduce sanity anyway.)

Amara spends some time planning to investigate creating some proper warp charts of the expanse.  She figures that her knowledge of scholastic lore in astromancy can be useful to investigate information about specific stars, planets or other locations based on known lore, like a library or a group of experts, or to understand the systems themselves and anything unusual or common. 

Using her skilled Trade in Astrogpher would allow her to map and survey both warp routes and more traditional solar systems, although first hand knowledge of the routes by traveling them would need to be done. 

Amara also recalls some common lore about the expanse, and begins thinking deeper about specific regions, warp routes and major players.  At least a general map and areas could be done right away, although knowing a specific area of research could allow more detailed information.

Using common lore to recall general information and then Astrogopher to create a chart would be the best course of action, Amara uses the time while watching the opera to make mental notes of well known information that others might miss. This takes almost an hour and she is far too distracted by the opera to keep everything in her head (Roll 86 v 71).  Perhaps a more relaxed atmosphere or doing some dedicated scholastic research will help.

Sierra-Beta spots a side tunnel with mechanus markings and slips in while no one is looking, traveling through several exclusive passageways she reaches the industrial sector.  It is time for a shift change as she enters the large promenade between factories, a rush of workers file in and out obediently.  Only a few are servators going for recharge, the rest are evenly divided between grunt labor and minor initiates in the cult, fit to weld or oversee a specific machine.  She is pleased to find many with mechanical attachments, but the burns and scars on the fleshy areas point to necessity rather then devotion.  Still, trial by fire to strengthen the body is how she has lived her life.

Once the shift change finishes she passes to the central temple.  While it may look like another mechanical monstrosity to others the sophistication and decoration is clear as day to any Adept.  A quick binary exchange to prove her identity gets her in the door to meet with the attendant to the many, a man or woman installed terminally and permanently into the building.  Mountains of wires and tubes poor into them and they speak only through mechanical means. 

Brisk inquiry leads Sierra-Beta to believe that going into the archives to find plans for servitor parts or the details of surgery would be at least a challenging task and require at least days (though thanks to easy comm links she could participate in any discussions about priorities).  Learning about her sisters might also take hours or a day of prying electro scriveners and high communers from their delicate tasks.

This would also be an ideal place to either requisition a sniffer or find out where to otherwise find one.

Sarvus exits the opera hall and heads to the first place to look, the servant halls.  The eyes and ears few realize they have around them can often divulge simple information that can lead to larger goals. (22 vs 64, 5 degrees of success, takes 0(6-5-2[1d10]) hours)

Fortunatly for Sarvus he spots someone he knows immediately, an on again and off again informant, running out of the kitchens in a waiter uniform, carrying a large platter of half empty glasses.  Unfortunately for Sarvus it is Zayer a ratling with a trusting face, short black hair and a penchant for steal from those he really shouldn't.  Zayer should not be here, he shouldn't be anywhere after the last time he was caught by the Arbitrators.  He certainly shouldn't be dressed that well with a name tag reading Theodor.

Zayer does not notice Sarvus until it is too late and the unassuming scribe is right behind him and says his usual greeting.  The short abhuman seems to jump twice his height as he turns around. Not now, why now.  he begins before taking Sarvus into a side hallway.  He explains through obvious lies that he is just trying to make good as Sarvus questions him.  He is surprisingly and unusually well informed on the governor and Tradesmaster, explaining that Fonseca has the governor by the short hairs over a loan, a loan far too large for the rotund man to have provided himself.  Signs point to a Rogue Trader house and Fonesca himself requested that the ship be put in the lower dock and that he greet them personally.

Zayer then fails to surprise you when he pulls out a pair of key cards for the Tradesmaster's office and personal chambers.  He looks extra nervous and asks if you would like to follow him as he "does nothing suspicious or theft like at all"

Would you like to follow him, try and get more info out of him or get back to the opera?

The rest of those who watch the opera have a pretty good show. 

The story is an adaptation of a later part of the fourth volume bible, the story of two star crossed lovers, an imperial guard captain and the chaplain she wants to marry.  The star of the opera though is Saydra Marrine, a navigator and soprano of remarkable skill.  She plays a handmaiden who acts as a go between for the noble captain and simple priest.  This allows her to be in almost every scene and utilize her wide range with a varriety of singers, improving their performance.

The scenery is also a departure from most norms, simple painted wood done up in pastels and moved around by men in black suits, hidden from view, rather then rely on traditional mechanical systems.  This does little to mask the small size and poor quality of the viewing area, although Holt, Hereton, Nathin and Annarette are actually all impressed as none of you have ever spent a lot of time in a major noble's house before somehow between the four of you. (seriously you all have the best backgrounds to be impressed by a small and insignificant manor)

After the performance the four, five or six of you, depending on how many return to the party, meet up at the post opera dance and wine tasting.  It appears that Holt was purposefully excluded from the pre feast and acrobatics show that lasted almost three hours thanks to it's timing right before docking. 

Everyone important on the station is here, dressed in what ranges from extravagant and exotic pieces to heavy, but well decorated, combat armor.  You are shown to your seats by a docent and no sooner does Jarl-Governor Victor Werner Oliversen come to greet you.  He is flanked by an older woman in a green full body dress with a thin veil woven with tiny gem stones who does not introduce herself and a thin bodyguard wearing full body grey mesh combat suit and a thick helmet who dies not speak.  The Jarl, as he calls himself is a surprisingly young man with thick brown hair braided down the back, black eyes and a short beard.  He wears simple flak armor swathed in fine silks of grey and blue but no helmet.  He looks genuinely happy to greet captain Holt.

Greetings my famous and ruthless guest.  I have heard of your violent and impressive background and salute a true warrior among the nobles gathered here.  The last about "nobles" is said with more then a little contempt which has the woman in green speak into the governor's ear.

I must apologize for the necessity of housing you and your men in the lower docks, he continues, pulling away from the woman who looks cross when he apologizes, we all must make due with the hand we are given from time to time.  He extends a hand and states Let me show you around and introduce you to the major players here.  You can see why I despise them.

You can follow the governor or seek out others at the party, I will begin his introductions in the next post.

Bron makes his boast as Blightfang throws down his tattered cloak and readies his rifle.  The two behind raise weapons and sneers, a wicked spear made from junk parts and a sledgehammer.  The three to the side pull out a crude knife, some manner of autogun and the lead "man" waves a strange pistol with a familiar cartridge: plasma.  The two near the large leader look hesitant as Bron states his credentials.

The hulking leader throws off his hood and proclaims "Behold real judgement!  My god has blessed me, run away, you ass of the bone king" while his four red bug eyes peer out at you, weeping orange bile.

Bron is... not impressed... if the man was expecting some other reaction although Blightfang has never seen something quite like this (90vs41(profit factor), re rolled to 79, 4 degrees of failure) and (2+40) is overcome with revulsion, he involuntarily steps away from the mutant and can not willingly approach him, is at -10 to all tests for the combat and gains 1 insanity point.

Order of combat

Bron (14)
Blightfang (12)
Mutant (6)
Hammer Scum (6)
Spearguy Scum (6)
Stabby Scum (6) out of combat for first turn
Shooty Scum (6) out of combat for first turn

Two behind, three in front, metal hydroponics bays around in even rows for cover.  I will have a map later once I make one.

Combat time.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:32:30 am by VoidSlayer »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2016, 05:39:31 am »

Shoot at the Hammerman -> Standard Attack Kroot Rifle, 1d10+5E Damage , BS 38

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2016, 11:39:09 am »

Holt shakes The Jarl's hand as it is offered to him, putting some strength behind his grip in a small demonstration of how he is indeed far removed from the other nobles (though not to the point of crushing the poor man's hand.)

"What is done is done. We may always return to our quarters on the ship if we are suffering for splendor. Introductions would be wonderful, even if the company they provide might not be. I would particularly like to greet the one who invited us here in the first place, if they are still around."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2016, 04:54:07 pm »

"Death to the unworthy!"

Bron charges at the mutant,  using his Chain-sword: 1d10+9 R, Pen: 2, tearing. WS 42+40 (Charge, Best quality, Weapon master, Chaos Worshiper hatred)

((I also got +2 to initiative from wielding a melee weapon, if that matters))
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:37:09 pm by Kassire »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2016, 02:16:28 am »

She doubted any of her sisters were on the station, in truth - too obvious a location,  too easy to expect Soerra to come for them. They would have taken a path out, or perhaps never stopped here at all, so as not to leave a trail.

Still, she had to search, but she also required more knowledge.

She sent a message to the Captain. His opera should have long finished.
Code: [Select]
"Lord Captain. I am busy with my own tasks on this station. Inform me when you require to depart."
Attempt to requisition the sniffer, and then split time half and half between servitor and sister information in half-day shifts.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2016, 05:05:40 am »

Bron charges at the lead mutant and chops into him (55vs82, 2 degrees of success) the abomination fails to dodge (55vs22) and is slightly clipped by the chain sword in the chest (20-3=17 damage) which tears through leather, flesh and bone leaving a sick trail of orange fluid leaking out.  The exceptionally tough mutant does not back down but instead raises the pistol-thing and...

Blightfang spins around as he steps backwards, leveling his rifle at the charging man (20vs48, 2 degrees of success) the pulse round takes the man directly in the face (13-3=10 damage) throwing him back and out of the fight in a gruesome display.

... tries to bring his weapon to bear against Bron (47vs45) but ends up firing two shots wildly, one into the ceiling and one into the floor.  Yep, plasma.

The spear wielding man takes a cue from Bron and charges the Kroot (55vs40) but is easily avoided by the agile warrior.

The two cultists near Bron's opponent scatter, each hiding behind a separate hydroponics bay.

Blightfang gets another half action (knock-down, maneuver, aim, feint, move), then Bron and Blightfang can begin the next turn. 

The Jarl takes Holt and his company across the "grand" ball room.  On the way he introduces several minor nobles and their companions for the evening, dressed in outlandish and strange fashions.  On the way he stops by the star navigator Marrine and her gaggle of admirers.  She is polite and charming to the Jarl and Holt, in a practiced manner, but then turns to Amara and her apprentice.

Amara has noticed Serge acting more and more nervous as the moments pass and Marrine's face and squeal reveal the reason.

Sergus!  Darling cousin!  I was not expecting you to come all the way to meet me here!

No I didn't... Serge begins

And who is this?  She chides as she turns to Amara, narrow, angry eyes but a playful smile on her lips A lover to flaunt in front of me?

No she isn't...

While Amara is accosted by the soprano Victor motions Holt to follow and the two, plus Anarette, slip out and flow through the crowd to a table on a high raised platform.  Two men are sitting and as many bodyguards are keeping a noticeable place nearby.

This is the great patron of the arts Lord-Captain Lazarus of The Glory and Storm The Jarl states as he introduces a short man with a cranial plate and a heavily scarred face wearing a slightly altered Naval uniform.

Good to finally meet Lazarus's gravelly voice intones, Another great house patrolling the trade lanes makes for safer travel and more interesting negotiations.

And this is Lord-Captain Malachi Vrus of the Grand Cruiser Resplendant Pride, you must have seen it on your way in.  A grand piece of work.

Malachi is a tall and thin older gentleman, dressed in an older style uniform of unknown make, decked in white and silver.  He has a full head of greying hair and a stern face.  When he speaks though he begins to smile, Ah the savage!  And no, I mean that with the greatest respect.  To survive on such a world and thrive, you must have some luck and skills.

Would you join us for drinks?  We were discussing the trade and political situations in the known expanse.

You can introduce yourselves and ask some questions, I am going to also dump some info.

Anarette, and Holt to a lesser degree, notices several warriors in the crowd that stand out.  An Ogryn in delicate finery with a heavy bolter strapped to his back seems to always be a few meters from the navigator, a dedicated guard for Amara might not be  a bad idea she reflects.  Behind the captain's table are two like night and day, a man in grey carapace armor and a woman in a  sleek black bodyglove.  The man's face plate is open and he has a bored look, although the modified bolter at his side can not be mistaken.  The woman has several blades and weapons on her and is vigorously eating a large meal.

She is also surprised to see a Battle Sister in full power armor standing off to one side of the hallway, easily visible here because of the increased height of the platform and the large berth the crowd is giving the black armored warrior-priestess.  She is peering out of the armor with disgust.

You can engage with whoever you like out of those four or if you are looking for someone/something else...

Sierra-Beta begins her search for her sisters and a tool to make the search easier, it will take some time.  (Where is the sniffer thing in what book?)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 05:42:42 am by VoidSlayer »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2016, 05:42:39 am »

I WILL FEAST ON YOUR FLESH GUL!

Use Knock-Down on the Spear-Wielder.

Next Turn use my Beak to tear out his throat...the poison should do the rest.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:40:08 am by Ghazkull »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7