Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC  (Read 41462 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2016, 06:27:52 pm »

Frigates and raiders dont really get to do much of anything but fight. I would rather have the possibility of doing other work than jsut being fight, fight, fight. Hence the Q-ship.

The chameleon hull isint cloaking, it changes the outward appearance, so one day we can be bright yellow and the next day we could be green, for instance.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2016, 06:35:36 pm »

No, explorators begin with a servo skull, according to core rulebook.
Though I might need to choose what kind of servo-skull.

It totally does. I never noticed that before :P. Why do you have so many implants already though? So the servo-skull is on page 375. From the looks of it, you can choose a couple of tools or a laspistol for it?

Frigates and raiders dont really get to do much of anything but fight. I would rather have the possibility of doing other work than jsut being fight, fight, fight. Hence the Q-ship.

The chameleon hull isint cloaking, it changes the outward appearance, so one day we can be bright yellow and the next day we could be green, for instance.

You see, Asseaheru, maybe it is built for warfare and all. But in the grim darkness of the 40k, there is only war, so it all works out!

Really though, traders are just boring -_-.

I didn't say it was cloaking, I said trying to hide from them would make them angry. Pretending to be someone else is still hiding, its just hiding your identity instead.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2016, 06:35:57 pm »

Well, its intended to be a group thing.

Good point.

Hum.... Looking though all the ship stuff. I think that clearly the most important part that we need is a set of Astropathic Choir-chambers. Totally. :3c

I like the idea of having some cargo space and such though.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2016, 06:53:28 pm »

Look at it this way Stirk, Q ships hunt pirates at close ranges, meaning boarding actions. A chameleon hull can help with that if we are forced to deal with groups of them. Plus, it would help for doing illicit stuff, or stuff somewhere that doesent like us anymore.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2016, 07:13:25 pm »

Look at it this way Stirk, Q ships hunt pirates at close ranges, meaning boarding actions. A chameleon hull can help with that if we are forced to deal with groups of them. Plus, it would help for doing illicit stuff, or stuff somewhere that doesent like us anymore.

First off, chameleon hulls won't help at all in boarding actions -_-. Second, the Loki has a special "Hidden predator" thing, meaning that if we take it we don't get a xeno component. I am not nearly as interested in the xeno component as I am the ship type (there isn't any super interesting alternatives) anyway.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2016, 07:23:22 pm »

Maybe a compromise like a frigate with a cargo hold?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2016, 07:29:18 pm »

Dont we get the Xeno bit from the xeno crewmember? Chameleon hull with groups keeps groups of pirates from knowing its us, in the chance that one gets away or hears about us coming into a port with the loot from other pirate ships.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2016, 07:31:06 pm »

Dont we get the Xeno bit from the xeno crewmember? Chameleon hull with groups keeps groups of pirates from knowing its us, in the chance that one gets away or hears about us coming into a port with the loot from other pirate ships.

No, the xeno bit is what was rolled for the ship's history. That doesn't really help much, considering over time we could just get a paint job to the same effect (as they are hardly going to check the official records and such.)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2016, 07:35:13 pm »

If we go wandering about in a red paint job the chances of some group going "Hey, theres this red Q ship that looks liek such and such a thing, and theres one that fits that description, it could be it" steady rises. Plus, if we get run out of a port for something and have to go back, returning looking rather different would be a good thing.

Well, its a tad annoying we get a ship history before we get a ship.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2016, 07:53:13 pm »

If we go wandering about in a red paint job the chances of some group going "Hey, theres this red Q ship that looks liek such and such a thing, and theres one that fits that description, it could be it" steady rises. Plus, if we get run out of a port for something and have to go back, returning looking rather different would be a good thing.

Well, its a tad annoying we get a ship history before we get a ship.

Its not like eyesight is how ships are usually identified anyway. They are reaaaaaaly far apart. Besides, you know what can chase pirates? A frigate or raider. That way, we can make sure they don't get away in the first place, instead of hoping they take the bait every time. This way we can fight not-pirate threats too!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2016, 07:55:15 pm »

You know what else can be done in a frigate or raider? Not much.

Now, if we could have afforded a light cruiser, that would be a different story.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2016, 08:11:59 pm »

You know what else can be done in a frigate or raider? Not much.

Now, if we could have afforded a light cruiser, that would be a different story.

Alright, and what exactly can a trader do that a frigate can't?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2016, 08:16:28 pm »

Hum, despite how I do want to do more then fight as well, I sorta agree. It's been so long I've totally forgotten how ships work, so maybe I'm missing something, but honestly if we just stick a cargo container on a frigate it seems like it'd be the same as a trader, like, less space left over and more ship points used, but better stats. But eh. How many upgrades do we really want? And can we even spend all our ship points if we go with a trader? Frigates are much more expensive, so if we pick one we can probably max out our ship points with some room left over for further expansion.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:21:15 pm by Criptfeind »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2016, 09:04:30 pm »

Great!  Okay so I do not see any overlap, for now I will say everyone is in.  Given that there are a ton of people, in the noncombaty bits we can move from scene to scene even if everyone does not act, say there were indisposed or something.

We are currently missing a Rogue Trader and a Navigator, but that is FINE.

The options I have seen discussed so far seem okay, I particularly like the two bloodthirsty meat eating machines with a super loyal mind reader.  Very normal...

For the ship type, I think that settling on a Hull is really the first thing.  There are a lot of added components that can round out any ship, and space can be left over for later building.  Think less empty hull and more vast neglected and run down areas.

Duplicate skills add skill mastery giving +10 to the skill, written Skill +10.

You can get Medicae at rank 2, I will look over your origin path to see if you might be able to grab it earlier.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2016, 09:16:45 pm »

Also deadline will be a couple of days, everyone who has posted a character so far can get some input into the ship and then we can start to nail all the rest down.

Also I was reading over that Explorator "sister" and I imagine that she has extensive medical knowledge, in the same way Dr Zoidberg does, given her origin.  "Okay I will remove one heart but your other three should be fine... what do you mean humans only have one heart?"  Give it a level for her to get some real world experience crippling random crew members.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31