Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC  (Read 41332 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2016, 04:45:22 pm »

Well, I know the game has a focus on personal actions like that. But those actions are sorta the thing that need more rules to spell them out. combat is sorta a pain in the ass in a rules light game, whereas roleplaying hiring a mercenary company or whatever is generally a place where less rules are better.

Well, that. And. Yeah. I'd go as far as to say Rogue trader just isn't the best made game and somewhat self defeating.

Edit: Not to say it's not a cool game. I like and play a lot of flawed games (like shadowrun is way way way way worse then rogue trader and I still enjoy that). Just that well, I think there's room for however one wishes to play. (And that it can be hard to tell how a game will go until it starts.)

Not really? The actions would work horribly if you bring in a large amount of people (such as in the case of a mercenary company fighting anything), seeing as it would take forever to roll for a single turn. The system is pretty much a carbon copy of DH, and it in turn was used as the bases for OW/DW/BC, all of which are based on the same concept of "your PCs do things themselves". Basically it was taking a previously existing system and applying it to a new set of previously existing character concepts. The quality of the rules really doesn't matter, it is very clearly made for your guys to do everything themselves. I am not saying you *can't* be a group of leaders who spend their time ordering around underlings, but the game clearly isn't designed for that kind of play in mind. They clearly expect you to, for example, go explore the planet with your own two feet rather than having a company of soldiers do it for you. You could, after all, do the same thing with leadership in any other RPG, there is only more incentive to do so here due to how RTs are fluffed.

And, for the record, BattleFleet Koronus does have rules for buying companies of mercenaries and things, as well as those for large-scale wars (where you are expected to sit back and be leaders), further hinting that it isn't the default mode of play.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2016, 04:47:12 pm »

Maybe I'm blind, but where does it say what you get for duplicate skills?
It's +10 to the relevant skill, right?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2016, 04:54:19 pm »

If it is what I am thinking of, the errata page 1, and duplicates are ignored. If its something you got in your origin path but you have two of, then it is on page 15, on a little box in the right (you gain Skill Mastery for skills, and can trade superfluous talents for Talented (choose one) talent.)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2016, 05:03:20 pm »

Or if you're taking the bits of character creation from into the storm that cost exp (like your mutant history thing I think) you can trade the skill back for a 50exp discount I think.

Alright well honestly I don't think we actually disagree with each other except minor things like the default position of the game. So really I'm  justa saying, if the we're not going to get in personal combat, the car should be fine, if we are, then it's probably a bad idea.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2016, 05:08:32 pm »

Or if you're taking the bits of character creation from into the storm that cost exp (like your mutant history thing I think) you can trade the skill back for a 50exp discount I think.

Alright well honestly I don't think we actually disagree with each other except minor things like the default position of the game. So really I'm  justa saying, if the we're not going to get in personal combat, the car should be fine, if we are, then it's probably a bad idea.
Tainted (mutant) is from core.
False-man is from Into the storm, now I think about it, so I probably can't actually afford utility mechadrendrite use just yet.
What kind of techpriest doesn't have weird metal tentacle things?
...Well, I suppose Sierra isn't a proper techpriest, so...

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2016, 05:09:31 pm »

Its not a car, its basically a spaceship attack helicopter.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2016, 05:10:39 pm »

Referring to it as a car was a suppose to be a joke, mostly. (Also a bit that I didn't wanta type out it's full name.)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2016, 05:22:16 pm »

Is there a way I can get medicae as a starting skill, to fit with magos biologis?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2016, 05:24:57 pm »

What are we going to do for the ship? I would probably say a Loki class Q-ship, perhaps with gravity sails or a micro laser defense grid as the xeno part? I dunno.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2016, 05:25:38 pm »

I figure that whoever ends up Rogue trader might as well be in charge of that? Idk though.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2016, 05:44:52 pm »

Well, its intended to be a group thing.

Another good component to have could be the chameleon hull, particularly with the Ordos Xeno after us.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2016, 06:13:14 pm »

Well, its intended to be a group thing.

Another good component to have could be the chameleon hull, particularly with the Ordos Xeno after us.

While they "have interest" in us, they aren't exactly "after us", trying to hide from them using Xenos technology is bound to get us in more trouble XP. RTs are kinda allowed to use this stuff, so its not like we will all be put to the pyre if they catch up to us. Plus it seems like we will spend a lot of the game in uncharted space, I doubt they will be too much of a problem.

I don't really wanna do a transport vessel. Not nearly cool enough  8). I was thinking more Frigate/Raider.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2016, 06:15:17 pm »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2016, 06:21:43 pm »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2016, 06:26:18 pm »

No, explorators begin with a servo skull, according to core rulebook.
Though I might need to choose what kind of servo-skull.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31