Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31

Author Topic: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC  (Read 41461 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader (something grimdark): Character Creation/OOC
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2016, 07:16:57 am »

No, explorators begin with a servo skull, according to core rulebook.
Though I might need to choose what kind of servo-skull.

It totally does. I never noticed that before :P. Why do you have so many implants already though? So the servo-skull is on page 375. From the looks of it, you can choose a couple of tools or a laspistol for it?
Those implants are the starting trait "mechanicus implants" for the Techpriest.

I realised I'd made a mistake - Hunted is a Lure of the Void, not a Trials and Travails. I've replaced it with The Hand of War.

Also, looking through the core rulebook again -

Quote from: page 72
Explorator Implants: The Explorator begins play with
the Mechanicus Implants Trait (see page 366) and may
select up to two additional common-Craftsmanship bionic
implants (see page 147). He may spend 200 xp to increase
the Craftsmanship of one of his bionic implants by one level
(i.e., increasing from common to good costs 200 xp). The
Explorator may increase the Craftsmanship up to twice (i.e,
taking a common-Craftsmanship to good, then good to best)
in this manner, and may only do so at character creation.

Hell yeah robot bits.

It'd be nice to have a mechadrendite, but I can't really get one yet and be able to use it.
Shame.

I'll take a Good-quality MIU and blackbone bracing (from Into the Storm), I think.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2016, 09:03:21 am »

dang it
So whatever role I pick for the character I've been making they overlap ;-;

(I was originally making an Explorator, like I said, but it seems Gigla has that thoroughly covered now)
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2016, 09:35:02 am »

Re: ship discussion:
I'm honestly not really feeling the hunting down pirates thing a whole lot: I designed my character around a bit more of an economic game. Frankly, as the Seneschal and someone who's invested in trade skills, I'm going to have to insist request that we do grab some cargo space, because just as Stirk finds Traders boring, I'd find hunting down pirates boring with my character.
And my vote for the xeno bit is still Runecaster. A bonus to navigation, and shorter travel time sounds wonderful to me.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2016, 10:03:23 am »

Well, the Q-ship comes with a cargo hold, so we would be able to do both, although we would loose the xeno bit.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2016, 10:05:09 am »

So...I may not actually be able to make a character given:
> The HEUG size of the pdf book >_>
> My very badinternet capabilities that Cript knows about :(
> My inability to access better internets to download such in time.

And given my lack of experience at all in tabletop-ish games (this is my first time), I'll...just cheer y'all on I guess. :D
Cheers to you, BHK, and to you, Twinwolf!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2016, 10:10:19 am »

Well, the Q-ship comes with a cargo hold, so we would be able to do both, although we would loose the xeno bit.

We can just add a cargo hold to a frigate and have basically the same thing only with much better stats for if we do get into combat though can't we?

That said do we loose the xenos bit? I didn't understand what was meant by that before, probably just missing it but I can't find the reason why we would loose the xenos part with a q-ship.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2016, 10:20:56 am »

Allright, lets look at stats for the Q-ship and the first frigate we can find, shall we?

Q-ship:
speed 4, detection +10, Armor 13, Space 45, Maneuverability -5, Hull Integrity 40, turret rating 1, SP 21, capacity for 1 dorsal and 1 prow weapon, comes with main cargo hold., three components may be hidden from scanners

First Frigate Found(Firestorm):
Speed 7, detection +15, Armor 18, Space 40, Maneuverability +20, Hull integrity 38, turret rating 1, SP 41, capacity for 1 dorsal and 1 prow weapon

Cobra Class Destroyer, because why not(A raider):
Speed 10, Detection +10, Armor 15, Space 35, Maneuverability +30, Hull integrity 30, turret rating 1, SP 30, capacity for 1 dorsal and 1 prow weapon

So, in this case, spend half as much for a stronger, more versatile craft that can do just as much damage if not more due to reduced range. Most of us dont seem to want endless combat, and while we could take a frigate and shove cargo holds in it, we would have only 10 ship points to do so. Points that also have to buy every other component in the ship, like engines, shields and weapons.
Highly Opinionated Fool

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2016, 10:34:51 am »

Who really needs things like weapons and shields? We have strap crew to the hull with lasguns.
Ablative armour and weaponry. I'm sure enough las shots would do something eventually.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2016, 10:37:09 am »

dang it

(I was originally making an Explorator, like I said, but it seems Gigla has that thoroughly covered now)

Technically, there are three Xenos races nobody has claimed yet (Ork, Tau Dark Eldar). I may or may not be dropping the Missionary as well.

Otherwise  going by your name you might want to play a Dark Elf. I have the rules for them lying about if you need them. How they function is beyond me since i didnt really give a shit about them but yeah might be your thing. What i can see you can play standard, then the 40k equivalent to witch elves, then some Incuby, Homunculi and something i forgot.

*Cough* Eldar. They are like elves, but SPAS elves. *Cough*

Also available might be Tau. I dont remember if they are canon rules, again i can give them to you if you need them.

There are, in Tau Character Guide. I have it somewhere around here if we do decide to go that way.

And Orks in the variety of Ork Psyker and Ork Mercenary...and i think Ork Flashgit.

From memory, you can be an Ork Psyker, Ork Mechboy, Stealthy Ork ETC. There are actually a ton of options for Orcs when I think about it.

EDIT: If you are allowed and willing to play Tau: CRISIS SUITS

And the Super OP Riptide.

Re: ship discussion:
I'm honestly not really feeling the hunting down pirates thing a whole lot: I designed my character around a bit more of an economic game. Frankly, as the Seneschal and someone who's invested in trade skills, I'm going to have to insist request that we do grab some cargo space, because just as Stirk finds Traders boring, I'd find hunting down pirates boring with my character.
And my vote for the xeno bit is still Runecaster. A bonus to navigation, and shorter travel time sounds wonderful to me.

Its not for hunting down pirates, its to have *any* combat capability at all. Basically, the advantage of a Trader is having a Cargo Hold that gives 125 points to trade objectives (and probably lets you store large amounts of cargo). For 2/5/1, we can get a Compartmentalized Cargo Hold that gives us 100 points, or a Cargo hold and Lighter bay that makes the ship worse and gives 50 points. Both of which comes with the advantage of actually being able to fight if we need it to.

If we *are* choosing a Transport, can't we choose something cooler? Like the Universe-Class Mass Conveyor. 12KM long, has four cargo holds, three gun capacity, technically affordable, impossibly slow, and a ton cooler.

And given my lack of experience at all in tabletop-ish games (this is my first time), I'll...just cheer y'all on I guess. :D

Aseaheru was going to copy/paste the stuff you need here. He could probably keep doing that, if ya really want to play.

We can just add a cargo hold to a frigate and have basically the same thing only with much better stats for if we do get into combat though can't we?

That said do we loose the xenos bit? I didn't understand what was meant by that before, probably just missing it but I can't find the reason why we would loose the xenos part with a q-ship.

I said it, the Q ship has a special that it automatically gets the "In Sheep's Clothing" history, which means we lose the history that got us the xenos bit.

Allright, lets look at stats for the Q-ship and the first frigate we can find, shall we?

Q-ship:
speed 4, detection +10, Armor 13, Space 45, Maneuverability -5, Hull Integrity 40, turret rating 1, SP 21, capacity for 1 dorsal and 1 prow weapon, comes with main cargo hold., three components may be hidden from scanners

First Frigate Found(Firestorm):
Speed 7, detection +15, Armor 18, Space 40, Maneuverability +20, Hull integrity 38, turret rating 1, SP 41, capacity for 1 dorsal and 1 prow weapon

Cobra Class Destroyer, because why not(A raider):
Speed 10, Detection +10, Armor 15, Space 35, Maneuverability +30, Hull integrity 30, turret rating 1, SP 30, capacity for 1 dorsal and 1 prow weapon

So, in this case, spend half as much for a stronger, more versatile craft that can do just as much damage if not more due to reduced range. Most of us dont seem to want endless combat, and while we could take a frigate and shove cargo holds in it, we would have only 10 ship points to do so. Points that also have to buy every other component in the ship, like engines, shields and weapons.

Its also a ton faster and more maneuverable, and better armored to boot, and you specifically picked "The Trader I liked" against "Random other ship". Remember that prow weapons actually have to aim, it would be fairly trivial for the frigate or raider to get behind the trader and blast it to bits without it even being able to fight back. Basically, you are showing us two all-around better ships and pretending yours is best because it is cheaper and offers 125 points to trade objectives :-/.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2016, 11:04:31 am »

dang it

Technically, there are three Xenos races nobody has claimed yet (Ork, Tau Dark Eldar). I may or may not be dropping the Missionary as well.
I don't think the rules for those are in the base rulebook.

If you drop Missionary I might make one, and if you don't then two of one useful class can't be that bad, at least if they go different builds.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2016, 11:06:32 am »

Aseaheru was going to copy/paste the stuff you need here. He could probably keep doing that, if ya really want to play.
I *REALLY* do :3
Cript and Gigla are helping me via IRC in making a Navigator dude! :D

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2016, 11:12:39 am »

dang it

I don't think the rules for those are in the base rulebook.

If you drop Missionary I might make one, and if you don't then two of one useful class can't be that bad, at least if they go different builds.

If Cheese dropped, then I'll be playing the RT and leaving the Missionary behind. The rules for them aren't in the basic rulebook, Kroot/Orc are in Into the Storm, Dark Eldar and Tau are in their own little rulebooks. I am sure you could find a legally obtainable copy somewhere on the internet if you wanted to :P. *edit* Also, if Tiruin is making a Navi, I don't think we have an Arch-militant, so you could be him.

I *REALLY* do :3
Cript and Gigla are helping me via IRC in making a Navigator dude! :D

Neat!

And back to the ship, I think I would nominate the Sword-class frigate. It should be able to do anything we want it to reasonably well enough.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 11:16:21 am by Stirk »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2016, 11:52:35 am »

And how much does it cost? We should have atleast ten ship points for internal components, whatever we choose.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2016, 11:57:49 am »

And how much does it cost? We should have atleast ten ship points for internal components, whatever we choose.

Sword full stats:

Speed: 8   Manoeuvrability: +20 Detection: +15  Hull Integrity: 35 Armour: 18  Turret Rating: 2 Space: 40  SP: 40 Weapon Capacity: Dorsal 2

10 points exactly for internal components.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2016, 12:01:53 pm »

So, since I'm new at Rogue Trader, any recommendations for how to build an Arch-Militiant?
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31