Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32471 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Alien Research)
« Reply #285 on: September 27, 2016, 03:24:05 pm »

Got enough time to make a turn.  Let's check the votes...

Power Source - Somemildmanneredidiot, Andrea, Wolfhunter107, Funk, Kashyyk
Weapons - VoidSlayer, Guninanrunin, RAM, KiwiOui, Stabbymcstabstab, Sheb

Alien Research Results

Broken Weapons Report
The recovered weapons are approximately the size of a pistol, and appear to work through the process of creating and firing off shots of plasma.  The state they are within has made it difficult in determining where the fuel originates from, as the area the clip would be only holds a power pack, all of which were or nearly were empty.  These power packs seem to be able to hold an incredible amount of power compared to conventional batteries, even in their depleted states.  The only attempt to open a power pack to look at the insides caused it to go off akin to a grenade, so further attempts are being postponed for the current time.  Various fibers and crystals with strange patterns have been found within the device, but their purpose was unable to be determined.  Some individuals theorize it may be some advanced form of computer hardware laid out in Alan Turing's On Computable Numbers, but attempts to contact the individual are mysteriously difficult.

Decision Phase

Axis
1) The Japanese are interested in getting ahold of a weapon to aid in their fight against guerilla forces and are offering to grant the Forenia-Cannala disputed islands to Forenia.  These islands will grant 1 Ore and 1 Oil as long as they are held and if there is a sea transport capability of two (currently one).
2) The Germans are requesting to gain plans for the UF-ARAC-35, and are offering plans for the 21 Centimeter Kanone 12 (E) in exchange.

Allies
1) The British continue their requests for an automatic rifle, but have stepped up their offer, putting up the Chain Home Radar system in exchange.
2) The Chinese Communists have come to Forenia in search of a weapon for their guerilla forces, offering 1 Ore for the next two years in exchange.

Neutral
1) A few different criminal organizations have expressed interest in purchasing either the UF-47 or the UR-AR34.  In exchange, they offer enough money to serve to reduce the cost of two designs for the next year, or one for the next two years.
2) Another organization that say they know of the aliens has come along and are requesting the Recoiless Rifle as well, but their offer is a bit more substantial.  Namely, a few lost portions of the research of the Rocket Club's AS-SS1935X.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Decision)
« Reply #286 on: September 27, 2016, 03:45:33 pm »

Well, those decisions. It looks like a choice between oil-and-ore solong as we have naval transport, giant railway cannon of near uselessness, slightly more advanced radar, ore for two years, cheaper ARs and giant solid-fueled rocket engines.

I think the Japanese offer is the best, followed by the English offer.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 27, 2016, 03:57:29 pm »

We can, in theory, acquire Chain Home Radar on our own, but I haven't seen any way to get resources yet other than through trade, so an increase in permanent resource supply is priceless.

Thus I think we should offer the assault rifle to the Japanese.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 27, 2016, 04:03:17 pm »

Remember we have two. Although, I dont think the Moskurg one actually counts. Doesn't it lack a fire selector?

They could use a better submachine gun.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #289 on: September 27, 2016, 04:15:47 pm »

2) The Germans are requesting to gain plans for the UF-ARAC-35, and are offering plans for the 21 Centimeter Kanone 12 (E) in exchange.
2) Another organization that say they know of the aliens has come along and are requesting the Recoiless Rifle as well, but their offer is a bit more substantial.  Namely, a few lost portions of the research of the Rocket Club's AS-SS1935X.
Only two reasonable offers. If only it was possible to upgrade the accuracy of the railway gun one could snipe UFO landing sites from afar. I am only half joking here.
Anything relating to AS-SS1935X is piority, though.

The only attempt to open a power pack to look at the insides caused it to go off akin to a grenade, so further attempts are being postponed for the current time.
Make grenades out of this shit. The aliens will cry salty tears when we will murder them horrendously misusing their own weapons.

slightly more advanced radar
Chain Home Radar is fucking shit though. There is a fine line between reducing costs and making equipment out of complete and utter shit and then pretending it works. Brits have crossed it.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 27, 2016, 04:25:04 pm »

Yer biased Kot. Afterall, yer twin is up there. But its a (mostly) solid fuel rocket that required a silo of explosives to launch, we should go over to liquid fuel for most rockets/missiles of that size.

Railway guns are horrendously vulnerable to counter-barrages and aircraft. And now we have a foe who can hit us from space. With rocks. That would do asmuch damage as a nuke. Frankly, the specialized tracks would not last long enough.

Grenades out of ammo packs is going to be cumbersome, unless we can blow them up by shooting them or with small explosive charges. Just because it goes boom when we try opening them does not mean they will go boom when we want them to. Afterall, hydrogen bombs can survive an ICBM exploding around them without going off, and if I where alium scum I would have designed my ammunition to to explode willy-nilly.

As for chainhome being crap, well, yes it is. Its slightly better than our attempt at it though.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #291 on: September 27, 2016, 04:32:34 pm »

Yer biased Kot. Afterall, yer twin is up there. But its a (mostly) solid fuel rocket that required a silo of explosives to launch, we should go over to liquid fuel for most rockets/missiles of that size.
WAXED MOUSTACHES.

Railway guns are horrendously vulnerable to counter-barrages and aircraft. And now we have a foe who can hit us from space. With rocks. That would do asmuch damage as a nuke. Frankly, the specialized tracks would not last long enough.
I know, it was a joke, but the idea of sending an shell from tens of kilometers at enemy UFO from afar seems pretty nice. The main problem is accuracy, though.

Grenades out of ammo packs is going to be cumbersome, unless we can blow them up by shooting them or with small explosive charges. Just because it goes boom when we try opening them does not mean they will go boom when we want them to. Afterall, hydrogen bombs can survive an ICBM exploding around them without going off, and if I where alium scum I would have designed my ammunition to to explode willy-nilly.
Step 1: Take power pack.
Step 2: Suicidically charge to an UFO and set up the charge.
Step 3: Shoot the pack with big gun.
Step 4: ? ? ?
Step 5: PROFIT!

As for chainhome being crap, well, yes it is. Its slightly better than our attempt at it though.
Is it worth it though? We could have something better, and... stop being biased, Allies are going to lose this time around. :P
We could give the gun to Japanese because as long as we would be able to hold those islands it seems we could actually get pretty decent stuff from there. I am concerned about the necessity of holding it because it implies that we could lose it one way or another, but eh, people just keep offering us shit.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 27, 2016, 04:39:01 pm »

And now we have a foe who can hit us from space. With rocks. That would do asmuch damage as a nuke. Frankly, the specialized tracks would not last long enough.

I'm only adding a very limited selection of tactics to the aliens (Eg. buggering off if in a bad situation/before bulk of forces arrive and clearing the skies around the landing zone) to the aliens.  Besides that, I'm mostly sticking with what the game does, so there's not going to be stuff like this happening.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 27, 2016, 04:46:54 pm »

chain home is better than what we have now, but not much better. I don't think it is worth making the deal.

The criminal organization is... meh. I mean, lowering the expense of designs is good, but we don't have anything that requires expense lowering as far as I know.

Germany... well, it has an effective range of 50 km, which is great. but that is likely the distance at which it can hit a city, not a landed UFO. could be improved, I suppose.

Chinese communists... go back to your guerrilla, you are not rich enough to buy from us.

kot's lost tech. Now that could be interesting, if we knew exactly what was involved Large scale rocketry is a nice thing, if it includes guidance and aerodynamics of the thing.  Basically, if it gives us the tech needed for some kind of SAM. then again, a guided missile needs some kind of computer.  (although it can be a basic one: radar pings this way, turn this way)

Japan isles. That is a permanent resource boost, with the caveat that to have full access to it we must at least revise our ship for a larger cargo hold, and it might require some kind of defense ( likely deals with big powers).

Right now I am undecided between japanese and mysterious organization ( read: aliens. who else would have the plans for that rocket, besides the people who stole it?)

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 27, 2016, 04:57:01 pm »

I agree in thinking the Japanese offer is best, but having another group working against the aliens... seems important. That is, of course, assuming they aren't the aliens themselves.

For rockets? Sooon, sooon...
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 27, 2016, 05:18:21 pm »

I'm for the Rocket offer followed by the Japanese offer. Historically the Japanese were resource limited so they could decide to just take the disputed area back once they get the designs. Someone should take a looksee at our designs and see what 1 Ore and 1 Oil would do for Expenses.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 27, 2016, 06:24:18 pm »

All the other options are tech we can develop ourselves In a reasonable timeframe or temporary resource bonuses. A permanent bonus is clearly superior.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 27, 2016, 07:19:27 pm »

As much as I hate lets go with Japan. If the Brits were offering a improved fighter or possible a naval design it might have been worth it, if it was a good enough design that is.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 27, 2016, 09:42:02 pm »

I love the kanone, howitzers are a decent response to landing sites, but the accuracy just isn't there...

Rocketry is huge. We are very unlikely to produce a jet that is relevant to the enemy. I really want to do a deal with the aliens, but, ehh, it is just technology, if we are just gooing to buy everything, why even have n engineering club?

Extra resources from Japan gets my vote. Permanent income boost is just too good to pass up. It is basically more of everything we do forever...

kot's lost tech. Now that could be interesting, if we knew exactly what was involved Large scale rocketry is a nice thing, if it includes guidance and aerodynamics of the thing.  Basically, if it gives us the tech needed for some kind of SAM. then again, a guided missile needs some kind of computer.  (although it can be a basic one: radar pings this way, turn this way)
We have a large population of highly sophisticated computers, if only we were willing to use them...(although I admit that they are a bit prone to failure when subjected to rapid acceleration and something go haywire and seem to deliberately avoid hitting the target...)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 27, 2016, 09:52:40 pm »

Note that the Japanese offer does not specify a specific weapon. I would offer the SMG, as they should be getting an assault rifle from the Germans and their SMGs all where rather low-quality.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26