Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32438 times)

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Decision)
« Reply #315 on: September 28, 2016, 04:18:44 pm »

Does anyone have ideas for how to intercept the UFOs? Especially AA guns & tactics besides filling the sky with bullet, and hoping one hits. If we go for fighters, well, "How to put a gun onto a glorified Bell X-1."
The only other option I can see is full-on orbital invasion. Of spaaace!
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #316 on: September 28, 2016, 04:28:27 pm »

Get rockets.
Ram rockets into UFOs.

If not effective, strap on more boosters until it becomes effective.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 28, 2016, 04:33:17 pm »

May be some time before a turn comes out.  Communication on my end will be limited to phone for awhile.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 28, 2016, 05:23:59 pm »

Hrmm, the relatively high pressure of water could simulate the relatively high effective pressure of very high velocities in air. So... rocket-boosted submarines? Trained to fight in various unusual formations with tactics designed to take advantage of one of the members jumping to, say, 120kph for a couple of minutes, and likely drowning out all the other sonar contacts in the area, in order to set up an ambush or get the bait out of trouble quickly, or even to rush into the enemy ranks and remain too close to the enemy capital ships to be easily engaged... And the knowledge gained from getting a submarine to work under such influences could translate to a jump-start on the supersonic aircraft chassis... Although, admittedly, without proper tactics to support it, it would be a massively useless gimmick...

P.S.
Does anyone have ideas for how to intercept the UFOs? Especially AA guns & tactics besides filling the sky with bullet, and hoping one hits. If we go for fighters, well, "How to put a gun onto a glorified Bell X-1."
The only other option I can see is full-on orbital invasion. Of spaaace!
Why a Bell X-1?

HE 176: 1939, estimated 750 kph. Only a prototype.
Me 163: 1941, recorded at 1130 kph in 1944. Terrible performance in the war, against massed formations of much slower, much longer-ranged opponents who could wait for the fuel to run out and only needed to worry about a couple of passes. Against a single opponent who can't be bother to hunt down a single opponent and is moving at ludicrous speeds? The dynamic changes completely, a single pass is likely all that you will get regardless, engagement times for any one craft are miniscule, and running out of fuel and using a parachute to get to the ground, possibly with the craft itself abandoned because there are very few engagements so we can afford to be wasteful... The problems pretty much all vanish and it starts to become an issue of how we can throw away all the established benefits of the design and amplify everything that caused problems... Rapid response is important, but we can afford air patrols and if it doesn't need to take off or land then we can ignore some aerodynamic issues...
Ohka: Broke a destroyer in two. Useful in itself at destroying highly resilient and well-defended surface targets(like landed aliens) but was generally a failure because of fighter interception against the motherships outside of its 37km range. The aliens have a 15 km range... Unfortunately, SOME of our designers lack the courage to do what must be done...
BI-1: Kind of terrible, but had a throttle... I suggest that we focus on solid-fuel drop-tanks until we have something that can engage the enemy in the air, then try to transition to other technologies...

I mean, sure, the X-1 was fast, but it was ahead of our time and didn't do what we want. The Me 163 was a proven design that is largely contemporary and is a victim of design constraints that do not apply to our situation. We do not need rapid response, we can just keep a couple-dozen in the air at all times, carried by bombers, and release them if an enemy happens to enter into range. We can afford to lose the craft so a small craft-based parachute to stabilise for the pilot to bail would be sufficient and the agility is not required, so all things considered we can go for an even shorter flight-time and a less buoyant chassis... We do not need to match the enemy performance, just get fast enough to intercept  their position and maintain a decent firing window and I like to think that we could get the speed difference well under 1000kph. Ideally we would have a couple of dozen craft each attacking from a couple of different directions...

I am tempted to spend a design phase just building a wind tunnel. We could get our technology up in the process of building an impractically large device capable of propelling air at, say 3000 kph? And then using it gives us a bonus to our chassis design...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 28, 2016, 06:32:57 pm »

The Me 163, while fast, is not fast enough to catch up to a 2200~kph UFO. Now, the Bell isn't exactly a maneuverable design, but being able to shoot at it is important. I agree with you on how it would be easier to procure the Me, though. I could see an improved one having some good use, but the Bell isn't exactly far off in time.
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 28, 2016, 07:38:50 pm »

I just feel that the Me 163 is a great example because it saw actual combat use. We would definitely want our own design with its own specifications. I am thinking air-launched with a frame that would stall at speeds most any craft of the era would be unable to attain under ideal circumstances. Drop pod rockets to get it up to speed and increase its range, then its internal systems granting it only a couple if minutes of very intense thrust after it is already experiencing high wind-resistance and would probably kill the pilot if it were thrusting away from the resistance... Balancing the weight-distribution to keep it stable would be difficult, the high quality-requirements would make it expensive, they would still drop like flies under enemy fire, and our armaments would probably be ineffective at combating them short of dozens of craft attacking at once, but I like to think that we could down at least a couple of enemy craft...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 28, 2016, 08:29:56 pm »

Something to think about, certainly.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 30, 2016, 09:57:27 am »

Well worst case we get the tech and experience to build something better latter.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 08, 2016, 09:43:00 pm »

As a result of the length of time that it has been taking me to secure a way to update this, I've determined it would be better to pass the game off to someone who is actually able to update rather than keep dragging things out.  Is there anyone willing to take over the game?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)
« Reply #325 on: October 10, 2016, 03:39:42 pm »

While I personally don't have the time to run this, I'm operating under the assumption that there's someone who can.
List of Things to do, Forenian Weapons Department 1941:
* Longer range radar
* UFO interceptors
* Assault strike force
* Cheaper and more powerful AA rounds?
* Double gunner helicopters
* Removal of random Tiger Pits in northern Forenia

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 10, 2016, 04:36:48 pm »

Proxy fused flak rounds would be nice, and probably the easiest way to improve our AAA.

What do you mean by double gunner helicopters?
Highly Opinionated Fool

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 10, 2016, 04:39:16 pm »

Helicopters that have a pivoting tail gun, for more aiming capacity. We'll need to work on engines/rotors for greater weight limits, though.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 10, 2016, 04:57:45 pm »

Zanz, what is the part you have problems with? writing, or the decision making? if the former, one of the players could help. ( if the latter, we need someone who is willing to not play)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 10, 2016, 05:09:40 pm »

He has issues getting access to a computer, from what I can tell.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26