Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1459385 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2310 on: November 23, 2009, 09:47:29 pm »

It's goblin and kobold propaganda! Don't be fooled!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: November 23, 2009, 10:51:56 pm »

Tuatha could be the elves that have long ago aligned with the humans or dwarves from old conquests. Like the elves in conqured retreats that live in wooden buildings and use metal weapons and armor. They are still immortal and generally quite intelligent, but they lack the physical prowess for hard labor in the mines or forges, they seek employment as guards, soldiers and clerical work. They should be the equalivent of the "high elves" or generic stereotype fantasy elf. Thuatha could be an insult akin to "traitor" or "tree-killer" or something in the Elven toungue that these wood-chopping, city building, civilized elves adapted to themselves out of spite for their nature-worshipping hippy ancestors. They should'nt form their own nations, peferring to live in the midst of other races.

This elf's family has lived among humans for three generations after they fled from a sylvan civilization.
He wears warm, autumn-themed colours to contrast with the greens and yellows of traditional elves.
Also, that chestpiece is actual leather, as opposed to the "wood-cloth" worn by Sylvan and Trowe, seen below.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:07:40 am by Fault »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: November 23, 2009, 10:54:17 pm »

He also has a rockin' beard.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: November 23, 2009, 10:59:42 pm »

He also has a rockin' beard.

yeah.  ;D

The way I see elven biology, their appearance and biochemistry is greatly affected by their surrounding environment and community.

Elves who only see other elves are tall and green-blooded.

elves Living among humans are less lithe and more sturdy, and are red-blooded and can even grow facial hair (this could also be due to interbreeding).

elves who live among dwarves (such as Cacame) I tend to draw more bulky and stout, also not as tall. I don't draw him with a beard though, which he really ought to have...

Elves babysnatched by goblins might grow up into a sort of dark elf archetype.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: November 23, 2009, 11:06:13 pm »

The thing is; a full on Dwarven beard looks rediculous on an Elf, but that sort of little goatee actually looks pretty awesome on an Elf, but makes them look more human rather than more dwarfy.

A dwarfy Elf shouldn't have a beard, i don't think you'd be able to get a dwarfy beard on an Elf and have it look sensible.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: November 23, 2009, 11:10:54 pm »

I just downloaded a program called stonesense.

It allows you to watch DF play isometrically (like sims graphics) while the game runs.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=1487&f=stonesense.rar

I am SO makin a graphics set for it...

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: November 24, 2009, 01:45:19 am »

I am SO makin a graphics set for it...
Here you go - http://stonesense.wikia.com/wiki/Special:MyHome
Oh and come over to - irc://irc.freenode.net/dfhack

EDIT:
Spoiler: More 3D Art (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:30:27 am by Nexii Malthus »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: November 24, 2009, 02:50:10 am »

Yeah, Stonesense is awesome. I really hope Toady eventually opens up the UI stuff a bit more so Stonesense can become a full on 3D UI for DF. That would be epic.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: November 24, 2009, 12:34:50 pm »

Maybe projects like stonesense show that a 3D UI is what we should be working on and toady justs focuses on the GAME
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: November 24, 2009, 01:00:23 pm »

Maybe projects like stonesense show that a 3D UI is what we should be working on and toady justs focuses on the GAME

An isometric UI may not appeal to everyone though.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: November 24, 2009, 01:02:42 pm »

Precisely, there fore the Stonesense guys should work on it so that we get a choice
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: November 24, 2009, 01:59:06 pm »

Hey, was playing dwarf fortress and my armorer went moody, made this shoe. Since DF is ASCII, I don't get to see it. Anyone want to try drawing it?

It's called Ashsevers the Decisive Strifeful Shade.

"This is an aluminum shoe. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of green glass and star ruby. On the item is an image of a dwarf in aluminum."
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: November 24, 2009, 02:02:55 pm »

I see artifacts in my mind, and sometimes I draw them. I consider DF to be like a book without pictures.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: November 24, 2009, 07:33:55 pm »

I think a dwarfy elf could pull off one of those big, poofy sideburns looks.
You know what I'm talking about? There's some British actor with that look.

I love his outfit, though. The Tuatha. Er, the boots don't do much for me, but the rest is totally hot.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: November 24, 2009, 07:38:05 pm »

yeah the legs in general seem a bit too short in proportion to the rest of his body.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 561