Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1459342 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2220 on: November 18, 2009, 10:45:03 pm »

Dwarrow sounds to me like a derogative term for a surface-dwelling dwarf. They are no different, except that they build their houses out of wood like the humans.

Deurgar are the fully troglodytical dwarves of the deep underground.

Demiurg are some sort of eldritch dwarves from faraway planes. They are adept magic users and carve elaborate mountain halls using powers emanating from their body.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: November 18, 2009, 10:58:02 pm »

Dwarrow sounds to me like a derogative term for a surface-dwelling dwarf. They are no different, except that they build their houses out of wood like the humans.

Demiurg are some sort of eldritch dwarves from faraway planes. They are adept magic users and carve elaborate mountain halls using powers emanating from their body.

Yeah, "Dwarrow" sounds like it could be an originally derogatory term, but the folks adapted it for themselves. It maybe means "Hill Dweller" to seperate the stupid lyemakers and milkers the real fort cast out, So they settled out in the hills at first, then the plains, swamps, forests, tundra, wherever there was room for a dorf to dig out a place in the bedrock for a settlement for his comrades. ( This could represent any player that embarks on a non-mountain biome)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: November 19, 2009, 12:11:17 am »

I like where this is going.
we could make a good setting out of this

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: November 19, 2009, 06:28:06 am »

I kind of like those ideas there. Skorpions 'plainsdwarf' avatar could be a Dwarrow, although not so tall.

Yeah, "Dwarrow" sounds like it could be an originally derogatory term, but the folks adapted it for themselves. It maybe means "Hill Dweller" to seperate the stupid lyemakers and milkers the real fort cast out, So they settled out in the hills at first, then the plains, swamps, forests, tundra, wherever there was room for a dorf to dig out a place in the bedrock for a settlement for his comrades. ( This could represent any player that embarks on a non-mountain biome)

I think we are going to be seeing more of those non-mountain biome forts with the new release, so....

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: November 19, 2009, 10:57:38 am »

Perhaps we should try this with elves
Let me think of some alternate names for them...

Tuatha
Sylvan
Trowe
svart

there's proabably more I;m not remembering right now

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: November 19, 2009, 07:05:28 pm »

Tuatha could be the elves that have long ago aligned with the humans or dwarves from old conquests. Like the elves in conqured retreats that live in wooden buildings and use metal weapons and armor. They are still immortal and generally quite intelligent, but they lack the physical prowess for hard labor in the mines or forges, they seek employment as guards, soldiers and clerical work. They should be the equalivent of the "high elves" or generic stereotype fantasy elf. Thuatha could be an insult akin to "traitor" or "tree-killer" or something in the Elven toungue that these wood-chopping, city building, civilized elves adapted to themselves out of spite for their nature-worshipping hippy ancestors. They should'nt form their own nations, peferring to live in the midst of other races.

Sylvan: I dunno. Name sounds "elfy" though

Trowe: These should be the Dwarf Fortress elves we all know and love. I imagine these guys are like the 'Liberal Crime Squad' transplanted into a fantasy realm. They are very much in touch with nature, to the point of extremism. They can speak to and form alliances with the animalmen, and even lesser animals and as such do not draw distinctions between sentient, civilized, or simple creatures, nor do they see any reason why they should, all creatures being equal in the eyes of nature. A human soldier they shoot down with an arrow in war is just as likely to be cooked over a spit as a wild deer bagged on a hunting trip. They are protective of nature, they consider the death a tree, with its long life span to be a signifcant loss, while animals with shorter lifespans to be porportionally less valuable. Since they are immortal, they look down just about everyone else and consider their culture the only one that makes sense or aligns with nature. They trade with other races and are generally friendly, if not overly condensending, like hippies, but can become aggressive and single-minded about transgressions against their ideals, like hippies. To them, if humans stick to their barren wasteland grasslands and dwarves to their mud and rocks, they are perfectly content.

Svart: Name makes me think of those Gaul, Celt or Germanic tribes from back in the day. Stark-naked and painted blue from head to toe screaming like mad-men weilding a two-handed sword. At a bit of a loss thinking up of multiple types of elves that are distinct enough to not just be lumped into one of the above.

Then again these are just rough ideas.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:27:40 pm by HAMMERMILL »

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: November 19, 2009, 07:16:59 pm »

Svart: Stark-naked and painted blue from head to toe

so Deon's naked blue elves then?  ;D

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: November 19, 2009, 07:51:54 pm »

No, they're also frothing at the mouth.

And yeah, Duergar are literally just the dwarven equivalent of Drow.

I think Dweomer, the "dwarves" from Morrowind (they were actually taller than wood elves, and supposedly were named by giants) would be a good name for a dwarven sorcerer class.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #2228 on: November 19, 2009, 08:06:09 pm »

I think Dweomer, the "dwarves" from Morrowind (they were actually taller than wood elves, and supposedly were named by giants) would be a good name for a dwarven sorcerer class.

The Morrowind dwarves were called Dwemer.  Dweomer is literally dwarf-magic out of Norse mythology, so it would definitely be a good name for a dwarf sorcerer-caste.
You have struck Microcline!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: November 19, 2009, 08:23:15 pm »

Dwemer is more commonly used, but there are a few instances of 'Dweomer' which I decided I liked more. Possibly they changed the name part way through development and didn't fix all the names, or Dweomer was their 'proper' name and Dwemer was a degradation thereof.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: November 19, 2009, 08:53:57 pm »

going back to the discussion of grey goblins VS green goblins...

which one do you think looks better?

(I:E which should I use for my avatar?)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: November 19, 2009, 09:01:57 pm »

I prefer brown-ish goblins, but between your green and gray, I'll go with the green because the red eyes make him seem moar like undead goblin.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: November 19, 2009, 09:18:18 pm »

actually, it's kobolds who have yellow eyes. DF goblins are actually supposed to have red eyes,
cause their "glowtile" looks like a red quotation mark "

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: November 19, 2009, 09:21:11 pm »

Green skin doesn't make sense, biologically wise, unless they have green blood, (copper-based blood like Spock had back in Startrek) which goblins do not have.

I like the grey goblin better, if he has red eyes, maybe they should glow a bit, to imply they are seeing through "darkvision/ infrared" rather then plain optical sight.

Alternatively, give them brown or tan skin. I think they will still look very Goblinish while still looking realistic, but grey skin is both cool looking and realistic. Alot of animals with fur have grey skin, after all.

Nothing has green skin.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: November 19, 2009, 09:22:40 pm »

But... eh... toads have green skin and red blood....

Unless I'm totally missing the point here. D:
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 561