Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 140060 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If there is one thing I find odd about female behavior it is probably the open hostility they will sometimes show each other.

It is hard to grasp at exactly what I mean but goodness... The fury between two women is intense even when all they do is look at each other.

Mind you I am sure guys do it too... and my experience with it has more to do with my two sisters and the obviously always accurate television. So yeah I have far too limited experience it.

Still though... nothing is more scary than a woman's ire. Guys get stand offish... Women get all "I will destroy you".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

It helps when you can have little brawl on the ground every so often and then have a beer afterwards.

Brawling is a lot like hugging.
Love, scriver~

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

A little bit of agression can be good every once in a while :v

But we all know that the Ork is the best LGBT subfaction.

Man, asexuals are missing a goldengreen opportunity. They'd prob get a lot more attention and be taken more seriously if they adopted glorious ork kultur. Orks are like, the ultimate asexuals.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

A little bit of agression can be good every once in a while :v

Man, asexuals are missing a goldengreen opportunity. They'd prob get a lot more attention and be taken more seriously if they adopted glorious ork kultur. Orks are like, the ultimate asexuals.
Other than being totally 'naturally' bent on war and other violence? I won't go for that, despite being able to WAAAAGH! everywhere. :P (Also it's less sexual orientation and more 'actual physiological asexual' given ALL THE SPORES)

Omnisexual? Or do you mean that Ork is literally a sexuality or gender?
It's a partial in-joke. Orks (Warhammer 40k) are actually asexually reproducing 'fungi'-like sentience, due to a long backstory that has the theme of 'made for war or as warriors' by the "creators" or Old Ones (long backstory that most don't know in-fiction because 'knowledge blackout'). When they die, they release their spores, so in the context of WH40k, there are 'feral' Orks, which means 'born from spores left over from battle' on a planet that didn't have Orks. Point being, they're 'asexual' in sexual orientation BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THESE COMPLEX THINGS BECAUSE WAAAAGH! (Pronounced as 'War' with a near-silent "r"). To the point, they're also physiologically asexual. So yeah. :P

If there is one thing I find odd about female behavior it is probably the open hostility they will sometimes show each other.

It is hard to grasp at exactly what I mean but goodness... The fury between two women is intense even when all they do is look at each other.

Mind you I am sure guys do it too... and my experience with it has more to do with my two sisters and the obviously always accurate television. So yeah I have far too limited experience it.

Still though... nothing is more scary than a woman's ire. Guys get stand offish... Women get all "I will destroy you".
Specifics, Neo. :P You're describing a part of a culture rather than 'female behavior' (overall) there. It's part of social mannerisms more than internal behavior.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:31:37 am by Tiruin »

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire

Re: the LGBTQ acronym, I prefer using "QUILTBAG". It has all the requisite letters. QUeer, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans*, Bisexual, Asexual, and Gay. But more importantly, it sounds fun!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Heh.  Nice.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

I've always gone for GOLBAT myself.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Lol, one of my newspaper's columnists made me giggle. Not sure if this is the right thread, since it's more about feminism and woman's rights than it is about gender.

So over here in the Netherlands, a few years ago the government decided to raise the retirement age from 65 to 67 in 2020, and after 2020 keep it increasing directly proportional to average life expectancy.

The columnist argues that, since woman have a average life expectancy that is 5 years older than for men, it would only be fair to change the law, so that men are allowed to retire 5 years earlier than women.

"And before all our country's feminists come bashing in my door and calling me a sexist, they should consider this: If all the old geezers that work as top managers and directors, and in other top positions about which feminists constantly (and rightfully so) remind us that women are severely underrepresented, are forced to retire earlier than women, women representation will have room to increase."

(Note that over here, retirement is mandatory. You cannot keep your job and go on after retirement age. A 85 year old high court judge would not be possible here. There's few exceptions, amongst which are parliamentary and other politcal functions, board membership, and academic seats, although I do believe a professor will be kindly pushed to change his title and job to professor emeritus and work less than fulltime)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:40:19 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

I honestly think "queer" is enough of an umbrella term because it describe literally everyone who isn't a cisgendered heterosexual person without necessarily alienating them.

And I don't really understand people who complain about LGBTQ groups not being inclusive of heterosexual cisgendered people. It's a goddamn LGBTQ group, not a literally every human being group.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Queer is not a good term, if only because the original meaning of the word is 'strange / odd'. By calling a LGBT that, you are saying they're not normal, which is derogatory, or at least exclusive.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

But that's literally the entire point of LGBTQ groups? If we weren't considered the odd one out in society then the need for LGBTQ groups would disappear.

Maybe in the future where LGBTQ groups are rebranded as groups promoting tolerance for different gender and sexual expressions rather than needing to champion the minority, maybe.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Martinuzz:You literally can't work if you want to?  Yikes.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Yep, it's either go find some volunteer job, or spend the rest of your days weeding your garden.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:17:18 am by martinuzz »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Yep, it's either go find some volunteer job, or spend the rest of your days weeding your garden.
(that's bloody stupid imho)
Sigtext

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I do agree.
It's not surprising that loneliness and feelings of being useless are the number one reason for depression amongst the elderly (or amongst unemployed in general).
What's really scary is, that our government now wants to approve euthanasia on grounds of 'fulfilled life'. In other words, they want to make it legal to euthanize someone who is not physically ill, but just old, bored and lonely.

The flip side is, if you tell people you want to raise the retirement age, they'll take to the barricades with pitchforks.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:19:42 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 91