Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: Vinland  (Read 32623 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vinland
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2016, 05:02:00 am »

Formally requesting votes for the addition of the following actions, needing 5 votes for them to become actions we can do in the future.

Send Thralls out to the Farms: Sending Thralls out to work and expand the fields as well as help improve farming infrastructure should help improve future harvests.

Have Thorleif teach you about the Old Gods: You have some vague ideas about who they are and what they do, but the old godi has much he can teach you if you spend the time to learn.

Have Asa teach you about Diplomatic Relations: Being able to better measure the longer term effects of the things that Asa recommends you would be useful as a leader and there's no guarantee that Asa will be around forever. Having her teach you some of what she knows could be more than a little useful.
______

With trade it's more of a question of who we want to set up trade relations with first and who we can get more money out of at the moment. Iceland looks to be a good choice and synergizing with the "We have Old Gods here" option will hopefully provide more people.

Though now the idea of setting up income from both Spain and Iceland is sounding appealing. But we can still wait on that and pick up Dublin and Spain next turn, providing us with plenty of income to expand while also having people to expand with.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:28:02 am by somemildmanneredidiot »
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2016, 05:07:57 am »

Yeah, I'm gonna agree with RPgeek about the honey. It'll take three years to get the buffalo, and we aren't certain to get it. Honey, on the other hand is practically assured and only needs the one year to do it in. Thus, I'm swapping my vote to his suggestion.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2016, 05:21:40 am »

Here's how I see it.

Now:
Research => Buffalo= 3 year timer
Money => Farms

Next Year:
Buffalo= 2 year timer
Money => Logging
Research => Honey + another thing

Two years from now:
Buffalo= 1 year timer
Money => ?? Possibly Mead Research
Research => Mead + another thing

Three years from now:
Buffalo= Y/n? If y, hooray, if no, try again with progress made
Money => ?? Expanding mead operations?
Research => idk, mining? Buffalo again? Uranium processing?

If we start Honey this turn, all that really changes is that there will be debate about using our funds to start up Mead instead of Logging when we know that Logging is something that we can use to build up our financial back bone. We can afford to delay a year and potentially get a free resource up and running while getting our food supply and funds sorted out.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2016, 05:58:46 am »

If we're getting honey this year, we also have a pretty good trade good to send to iceland as well. We wouldn't need to make mead with it for the stuff to be profitable to trade. Though I'd suspect that the buffalo would take up a research action for three years.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2016, 06:08:08 am »

Those are two good reasons yeah.

Ghazkull, does multiple year research require a research action to be used on it each year?

If yes, then however much I want my buffalo riding battle vikings, I'm going to have to change my vote to honey. Requiring a persistent research action on top of the repeated 40% rolls just isn't going to happen at this stage of the game. If it's passively researched once selected for a year, then it's just a matter of setting it up and letting it go while we do other things in the meantime,  but otherwise, that's a whole additional cost that we can't afford right now.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2016, 06:11:55 am »

Besides, buffalo cavalry isn't going to be that effective. Especially since we could possibly buy horses from the muslims in spain.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2016, 06:23:42 am »

You're screwing with my suspension of disbelief man ???

Historically, bison, or what we call buffalo, existed waaaay further east than any location we could have reached from Iceland. As you probably know as you've called out their likely ineffectiveness, they tend to be rather mean to literally everything, as their main method of communication that isn't a bison (and plenty of times when they are bison) is to ram and stomp on and generally screw with whatever is unfortunate enough to get in their way. They're basically the moose of the plains.

We have been told we have a better chance of domesticating bison than we do interbreeding the local wolf population with our dogs. Which is insane.

If Ghazkull says we can domesticate bison, then I see no problem with eventually training them to carry vikings around in combat. We could even form a mercenary company based on bison calvary and shop them around Europe, maybe even getting a reputation akin to Swiss mercenaries in quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2016, 06:48:06 am »

To be fair, given what Ghaz has said about the size of the wolves using them to breed in a better variety of dog might be an issue :P

Also we'd have to ship those bison mercenaries to europe, and that might be a little difficult. Actually I'd say we just have a policy of non-intervention in europe. Plenty of land here which to make ourselves wealthy, and we can just use our troops to beat up the locals instead. I mean it's not like norway is going to follow us to throw us in a temple and set it on fire.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2016, 07:00:34 am »

Hehehe, i wondered when someone would figure out Thorfinn. Don't worry its not THE Thorfinn, its just a Thorfinn with a British Freeman friend...;P

I assure you, given that who I suggested as our character bore his name, I knew exactly who you were talking about the entire time.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2016, 12:35:35 pm »

In other news, as for bison, i am not firm on the exact wildlife and flora distribution in canada, i just drew up a wikipedia article and read that there were bison in canada...that was it for me. If you are telling me they could never have been that far east...then they couldn't have been.

With domesticating them i meant interbreeding with your own cattle to get offspring thats tameable. Anyhow both things are extremely hard especially without someone who knows what hes doing. And i never said that Bison Cavalry would be a thing.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2016, 12:46:21 pm »

Bison Historic Distribution seems to be backed up by some more sources.

Then again they could have been imported by the natives then gone feral and actually be semi domesticated, as this can be a little off from real history and there was a great deal of trade between indigenous populations by most accounts.  Bison tend to do well in grasslands, for the obvious reason of lots of grass to eat and little area for predators to hide, like most wild (and domestic) cattle.

I was also hoping for randomized new world mod!  Boo!  Nah just kidding this is fun.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:48:11 pm by VoidSlayer »

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »

Here's a map of where American Bison are now, though that doesn't exactly account for where they'd have been a few hundred years ago. Some reading of the relevant wikis suggest that they existed in Western Canada and ranged from West USA to the South East. This site suggests that they were in North Eastern USA, but no info on their populations in Eastern Canada so far. I'm going to assume that it is entirely possible that they existed around where we are now.

In regards to bison calvary, once they're domesticated, it's simply a matter of training, practice, and selective breeding, just like we did with horses.

Can you confirm on if research projects longer than a year will require research actions during the entire listed duration?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2016, 01:33:32 pm »

A reminder that we want to have a proper house sooner rather than later. Particularly if we are trying to get married.

As for what to do, I say that Rolepgeek's plan is best, save for possibly the logging. I would rather go and see about getting some iron instead, as I think we should still have timber from the last year.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2016, 01:44:32 pm »

We do not have enough money to do any of those things.  We chose the poor expedition and wasted initial cash on training soldiers.  All we can really do is expand agriculture and hope our trade deals work out.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2016, 01:47:43 pm »

The thing with Logging is that we've been explicitly told through our own life experiences that we'll make a killing trading Lumber to Iceland. Plus there's a slight chance that we'll be able to use the Logging to make other construction projects cheaper. Of course, unless we're able to borrow against future turns, we can't actually afford to set up Logging until next turn.

Building our own Longhouse is rather important, but at 500 Hacksilver, it's a fairly big investment. If we use our actions next turn to boost our economy through more trade, we might be able to afford it two turns from now.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36